Epilogue: Two Lips

If Only High School Made Sense

"How old are you Jiyong? 18 or 8?" I sighed, dragging him behind me

"At least 10 years old" he laughed, fnally leaving the handsfulls of grass he'd been throwing at me.

It was the first week back to school after summer. Since Jiyong and I had made it official, we bugged each other every waking minute since we were together for that long, literally every minute. I refused to let him -or more like his father- pay for my tuition. I wanted to earn it, so I worked during the summer at the restaurant and occasionally cafe. Sometimes Jiyong would purposely send his family's business partners to dine while I was serving, so I could get a good tip. What a guy. 

I was crazy about him though. Can't lie about that anymore. 

"Let's just eat lunch. I'm starving" I said, readjusting my bag on my shoulder

"To the maze then" Jiyong held my hand tightly as we walked down the familiar hall, "Our last time before the opening"

He was right; it would be our last time before tomorrow. After pruning to absolute perfection, it was ready for the great unveiling. This would mean students were free to use the space whether to relax, eat, or do homework in. It kind of saddened me thinking of letting other people into this space. I considered it Jiyong and I's place for a long time now, so it was surprisingly difficult for me to just let it go. Even though I wasn't an Heir anymore, it was still going to be opened. Jiyong saw the plan through so I must commend him for that. 

"So... When do you leave for training" I asked quietly, having avoided the big question all summer

He munched on the flakey strawberry pastry I'd packed us, 

"I still attend classes during training"

"Really... You don't even show up to classes now" I mused

"Well, I'd be sure to come just to see you" he sang, giving me a smile with a half full mouth

We ate just outside the maze, sitting on a bench I had made. It was one of my final ones, so it looked much better than my first crude attempt. That one had actually collapsed when Jiyong had been napping on it. I don't think he's forgiven me yet. 

I laid my head in Jiyong's lap, feeling sleepy after eating like always. He flicked the hair out of my eyes, and blocked the sun perfectly with how he sat. I smiled seeing how happy he looked, 

"You're really cute Ji"

"I know" he kissed me on the forehead, grinning obnoxiously, "You're ok too I guess" 

I bonked my head against his for that line, giggling like a kid getting in trouble. 

"Watch your mouth" I scolded

Arm in arm we strolled through all our hard work, seeing how beautiful the area was now that someone had taken care of it. I guess that was just like our relationship, now that we started caring about it look how much it's improved. Jiyong expertly weaved us through the maze's endless rows and columns, not taking a wrong turn. Together we had agreed on what to do about the obvious issue, so today we were taking care of it. 

"I still miss you. You're one of a kind. but I've found someone else who is one of a kind too. She's great; I think you'd really like her. You two are actualy quite similiar, in looks and personality. I guess I should thank you for letting me go, making me figure out life by myself. I have someone to love, and love me because of that. So goodbye. Thanks for everything" 

Jiyong bowed formally to the grave stone, still whispering away to it. After today, no one other than Jiyong, Taec, Xiaxue, and I would know the memorial was here. We were going to block a few pathways around it so it'd be hidden. Purposely certain spots were left over grown for this reason. If some student decided to climb and chainsaw their way trough the brush to find the centre, then I hope they take away an understanding. I sure have. 

Coming here wasn't meant to open old wounds, but to permantly heal them. I knew Jiyong needed closure, not to be left with feelings of abandnment and hurt towards her. I honestly felt some unpleasent things towards the girl, and I'd never even know her in real life. Jiyong came away as I took his place to say a few things. It felt only right. I took a few deep breaths before taking the plunge, 

"Uhm... How do I start this... " I saw Jiyong out of the corner of my eye sitting in the grass, pulling it out with both his hands "...How about with hello? Ya; Hi Wen. I'm Cindy" 

Awkward start. I looked down at the ground I kneeled on, as if she'd pop out and laugh at me. I collected my thoughts and slowly spoke, feeling a little insane

"I'm going to honest. Well; why not be honest. You seem like that kind of girl. Anyways; I'm trying to admit how I was jealous of you. Jiyong and Taec, they were so obssessed. Wen did this, Wen loved that, it was always about you. For once I wanted those memories to be about me, I felt left out of the weird love triangle. Now though, I'm in a good straight line connected to Jiyong. I don't know what I'm really doing, talking to you. Do you mind if I ask you something? Of course you don't, you kind of have to listen"

A laugh escaped at my own lame humour. The poor girl; she did have to hear my ramblings. I went on anyways,

"Do you think Jiyong is happy? I mean, happy being together? I know he liked me four months ago, but will the feeling stay that way for -I don't know- a long time? Or will it fade out like a poorly produced rookie group? I don't want to sound clingy or creepy,  but now with a boyfriend I can't help but worry about feelings and stuff" 

I felt crazy talking to no one. Hope she was listening, if you believe in the life after death mumbo jumbo. Even if she wasn't, I just needed to say these things. For a few minues I sat in silence, trying to mull over the thoughts I had been repressing. Patiently Jiyong waited until I finished mumbling to an imaginary Wen, 

"But even though I was jealous, I thank you now. I believe in fate, that everything happens for a reason. I wish we could have met in real life, but maybe you leaving was the only way for all of us to learn a lesson and grow up. Who knows what would've happened in some paradox if we went back in time. One thing I don't think would've changed though is everyone's admiration for you, especially Jiyong's. I don't know if you know this, but last year almost everyday he'd come here. Thanks for giving him hope, hope that he can be a better person"

I had brought some flower seeds to sprinkle as a last thing. The package was in my hand about to be ripped open, when I stopped. A singular yellow tulip was just beginning to peep out in front of the head stone. A smile spread across my face,

"I guess this means you're ready too Wen, ready to move on with Jiyong"

As I stood up slowly, I felh his arms around me from behind. He rested his head on mine, the hum of his voice vibrating my face, 

"You make me so happy; don't doubt it for a moment"

I turned around so that I was hugging him, 

"I love you Jiyong" 

That was the first time I'd said tha out loud. I used like, admire, and adore but never love. I think we really could use that word now. 

"Are you going soft on me?" he joked, burrowing his head into my hair

I furrowed my eyebrows, and shooke my head at him

"I just told you how I feel; and you use that comebac-"

I hated when he just interupted by kissing me. He knew it worked, so thats why I hated it. Gently I moved my lips on his, putting my hands into his back pockets. Still connected by mouth he slid the hood of my sweater on, pulling the drawstrings to make us closer. Moments passed as we stood motionless wrapped around each other,

"And I guess I love you too. Just a guess" he grinned, pecking me between the eyes

Three shrubs later and a roll of twine, and it was all over. Jiyong's guilt for Wen's death, my paranoia of being lied to about her, it was done. Jiyong and I were just beginning though. 

"Still picking me up at 6 for banquet?" I  locked the door to the courtyard, taking down the under construction sign also, "Or do you want to leave earlier?"

"No; always be fashionably late. Six o'clock is perfect" he replied

Tonight was the Art's Banquet. Yea; that one. This year I'm hoping it will go much better. Even though I spent most one on one time with him or Emily, I was clueless about the theme. Jiyong just gave dress requirements to Emily, and then forced us out shopping together. I didn't know crap about why he was so particular, but it probably was just for his whole 'matchy-matchy' obssession. 

We walked around the campus on the way back to our dorms, saying hi to the new and returning students to pump them up for the banquet. It still took the returning ones by surprise when Jiyong didn't just tell them to screw off or flirt with them into oblivion. I said goodbye to him when we arrived at the his room. Mine was still half way across the world, so I hiked quickly down the dark blue hall. 

"Cindy! Ya; that's you"

I turned around at the sound of English, seeing Jay jogging down to meet me.

"If you want to see Wen, it's a little late" I said

"I noticed. But do you know what, it's about time eveyone moved forward" he said with a hint of sadness, 

He matched my slower pace as I continued back to my dorm, 

"So; what'd you chase me down for then?" 

He smiled, 

"Good choice. You made a good choice"

I frowned, a little lost

"Choice about what?"

"Jiyong. Choosing him, letting him choose you. Look at me; I'm the prime example for what would've happened otherwise" he sighed, playing with the beanie he was wearing 

"Well.. I didn't exactly get into this relationship without leaving things behind" I whispered

Jay glanced over at me as I avoided his eyes. Of all people, he'd be the one to understand what it's like to leave behind someone you care about for another.

 "But now you have what you truly wanted" he leaned against the caramel coloured wall outside my dorm, "And you've earned it"

"I know I asked you this last year, but do you miss her?" I clicked my shoes together, playing with my pass card, " Do you miss the academy, your friends?"

He winced,

"Of course, I loved going here. As for the six, yea I do, but we're both successful so why should I he unhappy They understand how I had to leave, especially Taecyeon"

 "And Wen?" I squeaked, suddenly feeling emotional

Hesitantly he spoke, pausing between each thought

"Not as a girlfriend, but just as a person. When you put your hand in a water and take it out, there is less in the glass but the rest fills it in. My life whas already filled where Wen was. Life goes on"

He was right; it does go on. 

"So I made the right choice?" I asked

"I can't answer. You can tell me in five year though" he mysteriously smiled, trotting away withouta proper goodbye. 

I returned to the dorm I shared with Emily so we could get ready for the banquet. Currently she was dating  Key; again. They got back together over the summer to my disbelief. According to her, it was obvious that Wooyoung had started to like another girl who was in his music program, so she called it off. Honestly, I didn't see them lasting a whole year after her going home to Canada for the break. They just weren't very romantic, it was the same from when they weren't together. As soon as Key heard she was single, he called her and asked her out. Those two were unbelieveable. 

It reminded me of Jiyong and I. 

"I hear Onew is giving Gina a couple ring tonight" Emily lucked out, her eyeliner perfectly matching the other eye's, "Key thinks Onew has been doing the laundry just to get money out of the pockets to pay for it" 

"Even though he's the leader of their pack, Onew gets no extra payment for the dance gigs they recieve" I shrugged

"I'm the one thats gets all Key's complaining though" she mused, blotting her red lips with a tissue

We met up with our dates, along with Onew and Gine who were already waiting. I smiled at Jiyong, kissing him on the cheek

"We're matching; happy?"

He eyed our coordinated black and white ensembles and jewellry. He had bought me a pair of small earrings with diamonds chips in them for my birthday in July, so I made him happy and wore them, even thoughI thought they were too much. Of course he had an almost identical set, that dork. Jiyong laughed, 

"Yes; very"

With our hands which sported our couple rings joined, we trotted off to open the banquet. A few minutes later we slipped into the hall to welcome to students. I nearly lost the abilility to walk when I saw the decor. 

"You like?" Jiyong pulled out the seat beside his for me, "Cindy?"

The walls were plastered with framed paintings. The centre pieces were red paintbrushes bundled together, sitting on black and white table cloth. An art gallery; where did he get these ideas from? I knew he as creative, but the last time I checked he couldn't even organize his chemistry notes let alone an event of this size 

"Ya.. It's ok..." I muttered, in complete shock

This shock inscreased when I spotted a familiar painting. It hung to my right, in the centre just below one of an ocean. It was the painting Jiyong and I had done of ourselves, the one he had given to me last year. The one he had asked me out wtih. I didn't know he had gone to the trouble of framing it.

"You're a romantic sap; you know that?" I chuckled, nodding towards the painting 

"I try, I try" he grinned as the first of students entered

Eventually when everyone was settlled, the light shone on Jiyong seeing he was the Prince. He cleared his throat before starting his award winning speech, 

"Welcome everyone. My name is Kwon Jiyong -or G-dragon-  and I am currently your Prince. This annual event is organized to greet you all, and start off the year on a good note. The theme this year is called Picturesque, being inspired by an art gallery. I do hope this evening will be a fond memory, becoming picturesque itself literally. Enoiugh about this though; I'd like to introduce you to someone"

Wait; why was he dragging me by the right arm to stand up? Why was I not going out kicking and screaming? I bowed awkwardly with a wave. Jiyong supportively put his hand on my shoulder, continuing to speak

"If you are unaware, this is Cindy. She is my girlfriend"

I had to feel satisfaction from all the sighs of freshman female audience members. He was mine ladies.

"But she is loud, embarassing, clumsy, uncoordinated, and needs anger management" 

"I do not!" I shouted, it being picked up by his microphone. 

The crowd laughed. That outburst didn't exactly help. Nice one. I nudged Jiyong with my hip, wanting him to stop this. I was going to start turning into a tomato, a the most red shiny one out there too. He just shook his head, and went on again

"Above all that though, she is real. Everything about her is real. I want to be like that, now that I've met her. So that's why this will be my last evening as your Prince, Royal, and Heir"

What just happened.

The entire student body leaned back in their seats, almost falling off. There were shouts ang gasps as Jiyong said to have a great evening, before just waving them down as he sat.

"Is this a joke?" I asked

He shook his head,

"No. I dont' joke when it comes to that type of thing"

"Then why are you smiling?" I retorted, pinching his cheeks with my hands

Gently Jiyong nipped me on the mouth infront of everyone. The girls screamed in approval while the guys whistled loudly. I was dying of embarassment, he knew that I was shy in public with him. Jiyong; that bugger.

"Because I know it's best for us" he out his arm around my waist, pulling me closer on the chair, "I know it'll make you happy"

"So you care about me, more than power?" I wondered aloud

"Yes. I value you over most things" he whispered, slipping off the his Heir ring, and into my palm.

The piece of metal sat still in my palm. It was odd, thinking how this thing meant so much to him so little ago. Now it weighed nothing on his decisions, or his life. He'd given it to me instead. 

"Are you sure this is what you want?" I spun the ring on the table top, twirling on its side, "I don't want you regret this" 

He sighed, 

"This is exactly what I want. I want to live life my way, not the way my position dictates" 

"You seem upset though" I whispered, seeing him swallow repeatedly 

"I guess I shouldn't lie; I slightly am" Jiyong dusted off his pants as he stood up, "But it's for the greater good" 

We filed out of the hall for it to be converted into the dancefloor. Jiyong announced the opening of the garden, and then welcomed thos intersted to look at it now. Many did, but wandered back for the awards. I was barely paying attention in the back row, just hoping Jiyong was ok at his front row seat. 

"So I'd like to call up the nominees. Jung Jinyoung, Jenny Kim, and Wu Fan" 

Obidiently they all trotted up on stage, standing beside Jiyong. I wrung my hands while I with Emily, wishing I could be up there with them, Well, with Gina and Jiyong. I felt like so nervous for him for some reason, he sure looked that way. Infallible obnoxious Jiyong never got nervous...

"I have been planning my leave for quite some time. So please, bear with the changes this coming year. The new Heir; Wu Fan. Congratulations"

The boy shook hands with Ji and bowed at 90 degrees to him. The necklace hand off was quick, Fan returning to his spot. I watched for where Jiyong was exiting, just to see that he wasn't. He still stood at the podium, about to make an announcement. 

"Like I said, I've been thinking about leaving as Prince for quite sometime. Why you may ask? It is because I have changed, my feelings about being Prince have changed. For weeks I was unsure what to do, who could take over my place. Luckily, someone has stepped up to take me position"

My eyes locked with his. He smoothed down his hair, the thing he did when he was about to say sometihng I didn't want to hear. I got the signal, bracing myself for the worst. 

"They are more than capable. My best wishes go to your new Prince; Ok Taecyeon"

Oh yes; this is definitely the worst. 

Taec and I were in two classes together, and not to mention how I ate lunch with them half the time. Over the summer we'd also kept in touch quite well. Even though we had ended on good terms, things weren't the same and never would be. Now that we were strictly friends, I felt like I was watching my big brother being sent off into the military. 

"Thank you Jiyong. I am honoured that you think I am qualified enough for Prince" Taec smiled and nodded to the crowd, "But I would like to thank you all, for letting me have this chance" 

He cleared his throat loudly before resting both his hands on the podium's sides, 

"Two years ago, I used to sit in the front row. Then I left, and it's remained empty for quite some time. Things have changed though, I now know that you can't run from your problems. You have to face them straight on, or else they will just walk behind you. So this is why I am here; to finish what I started for a friend"

We all looked to see his gesture to Jiyong. It got me everytime when I saw them intertacting peacefuly. He continued, 

"Last year I learned that if you want to be truly happy, you have to move on. I want to better this school, make it move on. So thank you; enjoy your night everyone"

The crowd clapped politely before gathering to shuffle back inside. I stayed seated though, waiting for everyone to leave. 

"I'll be there; don't worry" I assured, waving Jiyong on

He shrugged, warning me that if I was late he wouldn't buy me anymore instant noodles. 

Slowly I rose from my chair, looking over the endless rows of empty seats. I purposefully walked down the aisle, 

"Why? That's all I want to know"

Taecyeon didn't move from his seat. He knew it was me nstantly. He replied quietly, as if he didn't really want to tell me,

"You heard me. I have to move on" 

"It seems like you're moving backwards instead" I commented, sitting beside him 

"I have unfinished business" Taecyeon stood right back up, just as I was getting comfy, "As an Heir"

"What exactly?" I asked

His eyes fell to the ground, searching for words. He glanced up and grimaced at me, 

"Last year I promised that I'd protect you. So there; I'm keeping my word for once" 

"I'm not your responsibility. Don't do this to yourself" I said coldly, rising from my seat to leave 

Hearing no response, I rushed away from him to go find Jiyong for the opening dance. I don't understand why he was doing this, not at all. What was he trying to accomplish by taking Jiyong's place? My heels sunk into the grass as I cut across to the side entrance when Taecyeon jogged up behind me.  

"Cindy" He grabbed my shoulder, turning me around, "I'll always feel responsible for what happens to you" 

I brushed off his hands and looked him straight in the eye. Lightly I kissed him on the cheek, before backing away from him. He looked so lost, so hopeless. I shakily smiled, 

"Remember what I said; when we grow old. Maybe it will work then. I am with Jiyong now, and I love him, so I know you can find some one too" 

Why did I want to cry. Why did every memory of us together as boyfriend and girlfriend suddenly come back. It was all so painful, because I just wasn't that person anymore. 

"Ok; I understand" Taec patted me on the back with a grimace, "So then bestfriend it is" 

But then I remembered every memory of us together as friends. Last year, this past summer with the five; those were what I wanted to remember of him. I beamed,

"Bye Taec. I'll be there for you too"

Just in time I scuttled into the hall, immediately being yanked on to the floor to dance by Jiyong.

"Why are you always late. Always!"

I twirled under his arm, connecting our hands back together

"I'm here now, and I'm not late blockhead" 

He smirked as we waltzed around the floor,

"Yes you are, but good try"

The students clapped for the Heirs, already beginning to flood the floor themselves. I shuffled closer to Jiyong, trying to lead him out of the centre so we could leave. I wasn't the type for dances anyways. 

"Are you trying to kiss me?" He laughed lightly while pushing back a stray curl, "It's nice"

I punched him lightly in the side, stick out my tongue

"No I'm not. I just want to leave"

"Well can I kiss you then?" he sang, already inching his face closer 

"No" I pushed him back on the nose mumbling, "You know I don't like that"

Wow; he listened to me. There's a shocker. 

Eventually we squished ourselves between the scantily clad students grinding on one another. Jiyong was the party animal, so it having him insist that we spend time alone was odd. I smacked him off, saying I wasn't sleeping with him and getting pregnant, but he swore it wasn't for that purpose. I sohuld have guessed where he was taking me, it was all to clear. Patiently I waoted as he unlocked the door to the garden, 

"I know you wouldn't dance in public, so I brought you here" said Jiyong, taking off his suit jacket and dress shoes. 

I did the same, kicking off my black pumps and taking out the jabbing bobby pins. I lovingly as I jumped on his back, 

"For once you got sometihng right Ji" 

Playing along with my childish behavior, he ran around through the grass barefoot carrying me. I wrapped my legs around him as tightly as possbile, afriad I'd slip off. Surprisingly, I hadn't fallen off when he set me down on the fountains edge. 

"So let's dance then" Jiyong connected his phone to a small black speaker, "Since you like that sappy stuff"

"Nothing wrong with sappy stuff" I mumbled, smoothing down my dress

He laughed, seeing my ticked off expression 

"Hey short-stack; I didn't say that I didn't like sappy stuff too"

With his hands around my waist, and mine around his neck we swayed around to the steady acoustic song he'd chosen. The automatic lights glowed softly as it grew darker, lighting up his smile even more. God no; I'm cheesier than Onew these days. 

"Isn't this song a little... unfitting?" I cocked my head to the side while twisting my mouth, repeating the lyrics in a rough English translation, "That bastard, what does he have that I don’t? Why can’t I have you? That bastard doesn’t love you. How much longer are you going to cry yourself silly?"

"Well... It fit's perfectly actually" he said

I gave him a skeptical look, knowing he'd written this song

"Do tell then oh wise one" 

"It's not about another guy, but me. How I can treat you better, but still hold back and don't try to. I'm the boyfriend in short" he explained, circling us around 

"Oh; I was expecting it to be refering to Ta-"

"Taecyeon. I am a much more fashionable and sophisticated boyfriend than him" finished Jiyong with a slight chuckle. 

"So you were jealous last year!" I grinned 

He buzzed his lips like it was nonsense, but then immediately became bashful. He shrugged, 

"Maybe... I just know I'm way better at relationships than anyone else" 

"That's a bold statement Jiyong; I'm a pretty good love guru if you haven't noticed" I sarcastically remarked, seeing as I have had two relationship total. 

"Well you made me fall for you, so you're doing something right" he laughed, as the song transitioned into the next

Look at my eyes
You see my eyes
You see my lips
Listen to my heart
If you're listening answer me
Kiss me on the cheek
My memories
Yes my heart
Yes that be all I say
If our lovingness continues a lot
Then we'll never break up, trust me
I'll make love to you

Yeah my butterfly

 

"I wrote this for you" Jiyong rested his head on top of mine, "Do you like it?" 

I burrowed my head into his shoulder, after not talking for a little while

"What type of question of that, of course. I love it" 

Slowly I lifted up my head as the chorus repeated, careful not to accidentaly collide with his and kill the mood. Knowing that these words were meant for me, meant more then they could describe to me. I held his head in my hands, feeling his steady breathing as I talked

"Can I kiss you Jiyong?" 

He sighed, his breath tickling my nose

"What type of question is that; of course. I love you"

So; I kissed him. Barefoot, in the garden, dancing in the moonlight. 

High school still doesn't make sense. You know what though; I don't want it to. It would mean I have nothing more to experience, no more things to mess up and learn from. I want to learn as much as I can this year. 

So Jiyong; come learn with me. Maybe we can stop being idiots. Even if we come out stupid, we're stupid together. 

Together; Heir-head and Miss Canada. 

Now that definitely makes perfect sense to me. 

 

 

 

A/N: Phew! The rollercoaster ride is done! You are free to leave now and collect your feels. Thank you so much for all the support and love for this story; I had so much fun. Ask me questions if you want, whether about the plot, a sequel,or the characters. Thanks again.  (PS. Cindy is a real person. A very real person xD)