No Thanks

If Only High School Made Sense

"Watch it" I giggled, grabbing Yunho's arm which was about to knock over his glass

"Sorry; I'm just nervous" he sheepishly apologized

We were the fifth couple to be seated at the head table. The Heir's were seated beside their date, most of them I didn't know. They actually had placecards. I read them off in my head, mouthing the names for the sake of remembering,

"Onew, Gina, Victoria, Hongki, Key, Emily, Seunghyun, Bom....."

The other half still needed to arrive, so we all had to wait again.

Dancer Boys Taemin, Minho, and Jonghyun came in with their dates. I saw the girls' names, and got a little excited since they were English ones; Tiffany, Jessica, and Krystal. Soon after the second female Heir came in, Lee Chaeri, or  just CL. To be honest, she scared the hell out of me, she was so cool and calm to the point of intimidation. 

Now only two remained; Suzy and Jiyong. Jiyong had always told me stories of the dumb things she would come up with, and of course I knew of Jiyong's stupidity from first hand experience. I'd never met Suzy though, so I was quite anxious. 

"Who is that?" whispered Yunho, pointing towards the gates. 

"No idea" I replied, craning my neck past the seated people to see a glimpse of mystery girl

She came strutting down past Yunho and I to her seat, gracefully sliding in. She was really pretty, her short modern hair style made her look much more mature than the students. Not to mention her curvy figure, which the guys all oggled. 

Jiyong came prancing down beside her while we were all distracted. Of course this mystery woman would be his date; damn him. 

"Aigo! Cindy; that's SiSi!" Yunho waved me closer to whisper in my ear, "She's a trainee under eMpire Entertaiment, eMpress personally trained her for a while even. I've been wanting to train there for over a year, eMpress is a killer dancer you see. Anyways, SISi just debuted. How the hell did Jiyong pull that off..."

I looked over agian, hoping that her beauty would dissappear along with my jealousy. Nope; still there. 

Now only the Princess was left, even the other nominess were there with here with their dates. I have heard students call Suzy the Prick-ess; that never was a good sign.

I groaned, "Why are all the Heir's pretty and rich. You can only pick one; gotta share the wealth!" 

Suzy walked ahead of her date, waving to us like we were her servants. She wore a floor length blue dress that was short at the front, exposing her lean legs. It hugged her body perfectly, exentuating her small figure. Her natural brown hair was braided in all different ways, almost as if they were growing vines. There were real flowers tucked in her trusses too. 

She clicked her way to the centre of the long table, coughing inpatiently for her date to speed up and help her sit. Yup; that's a princess alright. 

"Come on; we need to start soon!" she whined, beckoning the poor guy 

When he turned around, I swear I had begun to hallucinate. 

"Taecyeon...." Taemin kicked Minho under the table -accidentally hitting me- to get his attention, "He's back with Suzy?"

He shrugged, "Doubt it; Jiyong told me last week after their fight how obssessed he is with Cindy" 

All around me the Heirs whispered about his arrival; I'm sure everyone was surprised just a as much if not more than me. Onew, Key, and Jiyong looked like they had eaten six lemons with the rind and seeds. 

"Hi..." mouthed Taecyeon, passing by to sit beside Suzy in the centre. 

I didn't even smile; my feelings were curently having wild in my brain, multiplying and eangtangling themselves like headphones in a pocket. 

Jiyong and now Taecyeon; why did I feel betrayed by both?

"You okay?" Yunho had large eyes and an innocent stare, "I'm sorry if I pressured you to come, I just thought th-"

"I didn't lie Yunho; I really do want to be here with you" I interupted, seeing how upset he was becoming

Automatically he relaxed,

"Thanks, that makes me feel better. Again, sorry, I'm really nervous about this banquet."  said Yunho quietly, seeing the students being let in at the far end. 

It was almost time for the opening ceremony before dinner which just seemed like a lot of Suzy talking and smiling, She liked to hear her own voice, so this was no issue with her I am sure. 

"Good evening South Korea's Academy for Art, you are all look great tonight" Suzy waited for the wild applause from this one sentence to die down, "But first, let's reveal the theme for this evening. Gentlemen, if you will"

She got nods from staff as they proceeded to the curtains covering the long walls. On cue, they pulled the ropes opening them, revealing the decor. 

"This banquet will be known as Starry Sky"

Suzy was definitely correct there; the whole place was shining with twinklng gold light over black drapery. The ceiling even had stars hanging down, spinning by the strings. The tables were dressed in elegant long black table cloths, while our table was in deep blue with a gold stripe down the centre. Along with the rest of the student body, I was in awe.

Suzy cleared , "I have a little quote I've come up with for the evening, I hope it inspires you all" Then adjusted her star shaped hair piece,

"A starry night shows the light in any dark place"

Wasn't that what Wen said? What her memorial had on it? Going by the fact Jiyong and Taec looked like they wanted to strangle her, it was.

For the profound words that weren't her own, Suzy got all the attention in the room along with the praise. She continued to speak about how the evening would lay out -dinner, awards, dance-  and of course how none of it could have happened without her. I just rolled my eyes, suspecting that most of it had been Jiyong's ideas. I swear he had a jacket almost identical to the extravagant centre pieces. Plus, the whole starry night theme was his thing. He even got had a tattoo of the quote Suzy said.

Don't even want to remember how I know about his tattoo... I shiver at the memory.

Being the head table filled with Heirs was an upside for once because we got our food first. Listening -or at least pretending to- really drained me of my patience, I needed some chow. Yunho was laughing at my reaction to the food,

"You're priceless, you know that?"

I grabbed my chopsticks and started to cool of the hot meal; bibimbap and some chapchae. I began to eat, but stopped when I noticed Yunho wasn't,

"It's going to get cold" I chimed, down some of my drink. Ugh; I think someone had added soju to the supposedly non-alcoholic drink. I hated alcohol, it was so bitter and a liver killer.

"I'm really glad you're my date Cindy" Yunho smiled and moved a curl that had fallen out of place, "I know we're going to have fun"

With my mouth half full, I managed to give nod of agreement.

I observed all the other couples, especially Jiyong and Taecyeon's dates. Suzy seemed to be talking at Taecyeon, while he just faked attentiveness and down some noodles. Jiyong seemed much more engaged with his superstar date, flirting like he used to with me. I couldn't help but feel uncomfortable, knowing I was once in that girl's position.

The main course plates were taken away and replaced with the dessert,  green tea ice cream and rice cakes. This time I noticed Hongki and and Emily. Even though Hongki was laughing and smiling with Victoria, he would always check on Emily and Key. The poor guy; he would have probably would be with Emily if he had just met her first. I think that Key was changing her anyways, I don't even the last time we hung out in Korea.

Whatever; Yunho and I were having a great time.

"No, really, you're English is cute" I giggled, pushing back my bowl so I could rest my hands

"You're Korean: choyeo. I like it" He said back with a charming accent.

I could feel the burning glare from Jiyong by now on the back of my neck. I'm sure he was having just as much fun with his idol date, so I wasn't concerned. After all, he never did like me.

 Being a blackhole, I was surpised when I was completely satisfied with the amount of food. I waited patiently as we began to file out to the front garden, where the awards ceremony would take place.

"Cindy! Where'd you get the date?" hushed Gina, giving me a thumbs up of approval

"He's my dance partner, and a nominee" I explained seeing Yunho had drifted back to talk with Onew.

"I think you two are cute together, Yunho treats you well" she sang, twirling a loose curl

I sighed, "Gina, you always say the guy is interested"

"No, I don't" she pranced ahead of me with a fancy spin, "I said you get along with Taec, Yunho treats you well, but Jiyong was the only guy I've said loves you. I still think that too.

"Go back to your date; I think he needs a little hand hold" I mumbled, slowing down my pace to walk with Yunho again. I needed a distraction after merely a mention of the diva.

Finally we arrived in front garden which had been transformed. There were rows on rows of chairs, and even a stage with gauzey fabric draped all around it.  Of course, the Heirs got to sit in the front row in ornate glossy gold chairs. 

Suzy did a little speech, re-welcoming everyone to the event. She summarized the awards, gave out the smaller ones -best in each department- to the students, and then began calling the nominees for the larger awards. 

"Now, the three biggest honours of the night. Starting with the new Heirs" chimed Suzy, giving the cue for the nominees to go on stage. 

"Good luck" I saw how antsy Yunho was, how badly he wanted this. His hands were shaking, "I'm cheering for you"

"T-thanks" he stuttered back, almost tripping on his way up to the stage

Another guy and two girls joined Yunho on stage, all looking equally nervous. They kept a cool face on though, for their possible clique-mates watching their every move. 

"Chosen by us, then voted on by you, the new Heir by student choice is...." Suzy peeled open a tiny black envelope. She was about to announce the name when her she froze, barely getting out the name, "Cindy Ha?"

Crap; that was me. 

A light was shone on my seat, forcing me to cover my face. Blinking rapidly, my eyes reduced to slits, I was pushed out of my seat and on to the steps up to where Suzy was. 

"Hi, uhm, I don't know what type of weird joke this is, but I just going to get ahead by saying it's Jiyong" I remarked, highly embaassed. I knew something like this would happen, Jiyong really had planned something. He seemed just as surprised as me though, his eyes twitching and jaw clenching 

"Nice joke Jiyong" Suzy shot him a death glare, before putting on her picture perfect face as the Princess, "Sorry everyone, even us Heirs like to play a prank here and there. Anyways, the acual winner i-"

"No! It's no mistake!" Joon -crazy drunk friend of Hongki and Emily- stood up, "We all wrote her in on the ballot"

All the students nodded stiffly in support. I gulped down the massice lump in my thoat looking out at the sea of rich and judging students, not to mention ice Princess Suzy. 

"I voted for Yunho...." I whispered into the microphone, shuffling away immediately. The stairs had been removed from the side; so my getaway was ruined. I stood beside Yunho who was at the end of the nominee line. 

The students laughed at my honest response, a few shouting out my name and cheering. 

"But she wasn't hand picked by m- us" stammered Suzy, begining to lose her patience 

The students began to get rowdy, yelling and waving their fists in protest. Suzy tried to calm them down but failed. 

"Fine! If you want her to represent you students, then here she is" Suzy strutted off with her head held high, shoving the microphone into Jiyong's chest. She yelled a final comment, "I'm Princess, I can say what I want"

This was the first time Jiyong and I had been one on one since the "break up" this morning from our fake relationship. Why had it felt so real though?

"Sorry, students, we've never had such umpredicted results" Jiyong's calm demeanor automatically made the students shut up, "Without further a due, I'd like to crown Cindy as the new heir"

My eyes drifted towards his, which were looking at a necklace. The necklaced had a pendant with the crest of the academy, but a closer look showed that it was slightly altered. Instead of the four letter acronym for South Korea's Academy for Art, it spelt HEIR. I flinched when Jiyong's hand grazed my cheek as he tried to put on the necklace, 

"Mianhe" he whispered, his breath hot on the side of my face, "I wanted to keep you safe"

"S-stop!" I pushed Jiyong away, maybe a little too strongly. The students gasped, most probably unaware we'd broken up officially, "I can't accept it! I never wanted to be an Heir"

He stumbled backwards, almost right off the stage

Taking the microphone, I prepared myself to make the best speech ever,

"The only reason I'm up here is because you all think that Jiyong and I are together. To be honest, we aren't any more and never were. Ever since I shoved that rice bowl in his scrunched up face we've hated eachother, maybe even before that. There is much you all don't know about what goes between the Heirs. I still dont know much, but I know enough that I'd never want to be apart of it"

The nominees all looked like I'd denied the winning lottery ticket, covering their mouths at the idea. Even more inscentive to keep going since I had undivided attention, even Princess Suzy's. 

"We shouldn't live in fear that an Heir will torment us, make our lives hell. I don't want to become that type of person either. Yes, everyone changes, but being an Heir forces that to happen. I want to grow up at my own pace, and become what I want, not what others expect me to be. I'm honoured you want me to be a leader, but I have to decline. Thank you"

I turned back to stand with Yunho when someone in the audience caught my eye. In the front row Taecyeon was giving me a standing ovation, clapping proudly with a smile. Everyone gawked in disgust, especially the Heirs. Jiyong joined him though. and then so did Key and Onew. Now with four Heirs acknowledging my words, the whole student body did also. 

For some reason I began to get choked up, back some tears. A smile tried to break out, but I held it back due to the fact I now was a targe again. I had just stood against everything Princess Suzy and the Heirs represented; one of those students must want my head on a platter. 

So, I did the only thing I knew how to. 

"Don't" Taecyeon began chasing after me, his hand blocking Jiyong's way. I saw him as I got off the stage before running, "You've hurt her enough Jiyong"

I had kicked off the rickety shoes and ran out of the garden. I didn't care who stared, I just wanted to be alone. 

"Cindy! Please, stop!" yelled Taecyeon, following me. I'm surprised I was still outrunning him. 

The doors to the hall were open since the dance would take place there. The tables were cleared out so there was no place to hide away by myself. Taecyeon had caught up to me but I spotted an escape route. Struggling up the grand staircase and then up a few smaller ones that twisted around the place, I arrived on a balcony. Vines grew all around the railing and up the wall, giving it a mystical feel. I could see the ceremony going on directly below, everyone half their size from up here. 

The click of shoes on stone echoed behind me, I leaned over the edge so my face couldn't be seen, 

"Since you aren't in a talking mood, I'll do it all" said Taecyeon, joining me watching on the railing. I turned my head so I couldn't see his eyes.  He began to talk quietly, 

"I wish I had been as brave to stand up for myself. I decided to become an Heir with Wen because I loved her a lot, not because I wanted to really be one. You're the opposite though, you don't want to join because you're avoiding your love"

"What makes you say I love someone" I said in a flat tone to cover my anxiety

He stayed quiet for a moment before replying, 

"I know Jiyong well, a little too well honestly. As for you, I can't tell whether you just really hate him, or love him."

"It's hate. I feel no regret breaking up with that backstabbing Heir-head." I spat

Taecyeon turned my head with his hand to look straight into my eyes. What I saw in his was a genuine concern. 

"How you're acting now doesn't say that"

I pushed his hand away and went back to staring at the people below. Suzy was announcing the final award, the most important. 

"With the first Royal crowned in over two years, we will be giving them another reward. Congratulations to not only the Heir of music and design, but now the new Prince; Kwon Jiyong"

Slowly he made his way back up to the front of the stage, bowing to everyone around him. He accepted the ring Suzy took off, putting it on his own hand. I assume this was like the necklace, given as a sign of power. 

"Sadly, I am leaving to train as an idol, but Jiyong will take my place." Suzy took Jiyong's spotlight -literally- waving the technicians to shine it on her, "Every year when a Prince or Princess takes the place, the task is revealed to the students, so they know how difficult it was and how deserving it makes them. Jiyong has displayed to me his potential, having one of the most unmoving girls fall in love with him after much effort. The trick was that he didn't do the same, showing how he can put the school's well being over his personal life. Please, let's show our support with a round of applause"

Suzy smacked her hands together with a defeaning sound. Like Taecyeon, she was the only one clapping, but this time no one joined her. The students all stayed quiet, surprised by the true nature of the relationship. It stung hearing the truth again, confirming that I had been played for a lovesick idiot. Being able to see Jiyong's face from the balcony made it worse. It stayed serious, not even a hint of relief, happiness, or rergret. He felt nothing. 

The one person applause ended finally, Suzy getting over the fact no one was going to join in, 

"Kwon Jiyong, your Prince" She raised his hand with hers, and then lowered it  "Now please, emjoy the rest of the evening with your peers"

The people didn't move. Everyone just stared in silence at Jiyong playing with the yellow tulip in his blazer's pocket. No one was sure what to say, or how to act. The one's who were glad he was Prince would stay quiet, and so would the ones who opposed it. The neutral students just didn't have anything to say. 

I don't know what demon thing possessed me, but it took over my body as I shouted form the balcony. I knew that I'd regret it right after, 

"Think I love you Jiyong?"

I grabbed Taecyeon agressively by the collar and kissed him hard. My arms instinctively wrapped around his neck as our lips continued to move together. I tried not to smirk as I heard the gasps from all the bystanders below. I imagined Jiyong's face twisted in shock, watching me with another man. I broke away in time to catch a glimpse of this face before he turned away beginning to walk. 

"Now that's what our first kiss should have been" whispered Taecyeon still holding me by the waist. 

I began to beam uncontrollably, the feeling that Taec had given me was burning away at the lonliness. 

Was this because I'd finally won the dating game with Jiyong?

Once I thought about it and watched Jiyong storm off though, I had the feeling I was actually the loser.