You Promised Me

If Only High School Made Sense

"Are you going to end of year bash?"

I nodded, trying to pay attention to the droning voice of my math teacher, 

"Yup; I'll be there" 

Time flies when you're having fun. Too bad I didn't have much of that this year. Christmas and New Year's passed along with the beginning of the second semester of death. Then Valentines and white day came and went too. 

I hate saying this, but all of those were spent with Jiyong. He honestly was one of my only friends nowadays. 

Ever since the argument with Emily all those months ago, we had steadily drifted apart. Sure we talked once in a while, but it wasn't at all like back in Canada or at the start of school. We had nothing to talk about anymore. That's how Jiyong came in, taking up that empty space instead. 

As for the rest of the academy's population, they all either liked or hated me to the farthest extent. Being an Heir I tried make the best of it, organizing events and trying to humanize us to the students. The people that blindly followed the Heirs and believed in their ultimate say were flipping tables when I would eat lunch with freshman and Jiyong, or when I'd accidentally let my pristine image falter for a moment when I fell down stairs.  

Today I was doing one of my usual controversial activities; gardening. The idea of an Heir working just blew too many minds. 

"Can you move that? I like it closer to the back" ordered Jiyong, sitting on the stone bench drinking lemonade 

I grunted, "It's a tree you idiot", stiffly standing up from a squat

"So can you move it?" he repeated

Instead of answering, I just threw a dandelion I had uprooted at his face. I burst out laughing when he swatted it away screaming.

"Oh; there's a worm on you too" I casually added, chucking still

"Get it off Cindy! Please! Where is it! Get it off my bo-"

"I was joking" I carried over a crate of yellow tulips, stealing a drink from his bottle, "Could you give me a little help and start t?"

"Fine" he muttered, grudgingly taking the gardening gloves I held out to him

This job should have been done weeks ago, but since Jiyong was a very tempermental worker it wasn't. I had recruited other students to help, but when he heard about it he shooed them all away. He didn't want anyone but him or I working on this garden if we were opening it to students. I accepted those conditions, since he finally had agreed to let me clean it up. 

I had called Xiaxue also, and asked her if it would be alright with her since Wen was her sister. She liked the idea, saying that it was about time sometihng was done with it. It was too bad she couldn't come see it herself, since Xiaxue -or I guess Sisi- was doing promotions in Singapore. 

"We still on for tonight? Around 6? I have to open and close the celebration" hollered Jiyong over the chomping sound of gardening sheers

I stuck my head up from the ground, yelling back, 

"Depends; will you take two hours to brush your hair?"

The cutting sound stopped as Jiyong came back around the corner to where I was planting, 

"We were fashionably late, and no, I'll cut it down to just an hour since you're so impatient today"

"Thanks; what a sarcrifice" I sarcastically remarked

Tonight was the end of year celebration, our semi formal. Even though classes didn't finish until next week and there were exams on top of that, the dance was today. Jiyong and I just automatically stuck together, with him avoiding the fangirls wanting to go with him and me avoiding my admirers also. I would have asked Yunho, but his life was now training. Plus; why would he want to be with me. He's moved on. 

"Do I have to do anything?" I asked, continuing to plant the tulips

He playfully sat on my hunched back, forcing my unexpecting body to collapse. I spat out grass and dirt while he laughed wildly at me.. 

"No; not really. Just stand there and look hot" 

I rolled my eyes and body, pushing Jiyong off of me in the process. Both of us now on our backs I punched him in the stomach. 

"Stop hurting me!" he whined, trying to get a hit in 

"Then stop being super weird and Heir-head today" I retorted

That was always the fool proof method for him to shut up. I knew he hated it when I called him that, and he knew I was seriously ticked off when I used it.

What a great understanding we have ove each other. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Jiyong's Perspective

I hate gardening. I hate getting dirty. I really like Cindy though, so I making myself do both. 

Dragging my to the out wall of the maze, I continued t away at the hedge. Within ten minutes though I became bored. It wasn't entertaining with Cindy on the other side doing her own work. We may as well be sitting in class. 

I wandered over to where one of the arbours would be, knowing there was a bench that I could nap on. Wen had made this one herself, probably accidentally hitting herself with every single tool to make it at least once. I hadn't been back here for maybe a year, considering I didn't like the constant reminders. I think I could handle it now though. 

Nevermind. I take that back. 

Photos, letters, and everything inbetween was pinned to the rotting wood. It would've been one thing if it was just of Wen, but it was of Taec and Wen. 

"Jebal"

I swore as I noticed the other sides of the criss crossed planks, these ones with things of Taec and Cindy. Why did I want a nap so badly again? I was going to be wide awake tonight thinking about this. 

Going by the most recent items  and lack of care, I'd say Taecyeon hadn't been here in months, atleast four or five. I wasn't going to leave this here if we were opening up it to the students finally, it had to be dismantled. I grunted, 

"Guess I have to actually work" 

For the rest of the afternoon I stripped the aging decoration of everything. I didn't dare read or look at some of the things knowing I'd just get upset. All these little things filled up almost three bags, and that's just the stuff to and from Wen. Cindy's memrobilia was a whole other story and two bags. 

Was it sick how when I picked off a letter, I instantly felt satisfaction that those things she now said to me? That she took care of me and not him? 

Now with the frame of the arbour in front of me, I didn't know what to do with the contents I'd just cleaned off. A first step was to lug the bags to the recycle, then I'd think about it some more. When I arrived there I peaked over the edge to see that there wasn't room for all of it. Sure, I could try and cram it all in, but then some would fall out and into someone's hands. Someone's curious and prying hands if you catch my drift, 

Cindy or Wen; what should I get rid of. 

I didn't have to think twice as I tossed years worth of someone elses memories into the bin, walking away with mostly drawings of cats and really bad photos of aegyo. 

"Dammit; she's right. I am dumb..." I muttered to myself, realizing that I couldn't keep all this stuff. 

It wasn't mine to keep, and I didn't want it anyways. There was only really one place it belonged now. Before I left the garden, I checked to make sure Cindy was busy. I smiled, seeing her sleeping on the grass in front of five rows of freshly planted tulips. I had time; plenty of it. 

I knocked hard on the door, half of my brain telling me that this was a bad idea. At first there was no answer to which I was relieved -an excuse for me to leave-but then at the last moment it opened, revealing my nightmare. 

"He- Jiyong?"

I did a nod of acknowledgement, ing the two bags of stuff into Taecyeon's unexpeting hands. 

"This belongs to you. Bye"  

Of course, he was a person that believed in rationality, pulling me back for an explanation. 

"What is this" he droned, probably thinking it was a contagion. 

"Take a look for yourself. You'll know" I replied, trying to keep calm and not lash out at him for no real reason other than my personal distaste. 

His look quickly changed from skeptic to I-kinda-want-to-punch-you as he flicked through merely three things in the first bag. I was wearing a black v-neck and red jeans, so if I was going to get into a fight I didn't have much protection. 

"Where'd you get this stuff" he barked, stomping into his dorm and dumping the contents on the bed

"The garden is being opened to students. We need to finish preparing, and this was from today"  I dryly explained, trailing behind him to watch his frantic flicking though of papers. 

"Define we" he muttered

I smirked, 

"Cindy and I, just us"

Silence. He had nothing to say in witty response. 

"What'd you do with it Kwon" he searched once more through the disorderly paper, "It's missing" 

Too distracted by my random thoughts, I just hm'd back

"Hm? Buyah?"

"There should be one strip of six photos, from Seoul's bi-annual fall fair taken on November 4 this year" he slurred, the words meshing together he was speaking so quickly 

'Meolla. I didn't take a single thing from that arbour. It's all here" I began to head for the door, waving over my shoulder, "I'll be leaving now that you have thi-"

"How is she" he interrupted, stopping his rapid seek and destroy

Taec stood up to his full height, being much taller than me. He repeated, 

"Is she ok?

I stared him directly in the eyes, knowing him all too well. I'll never forget when he approached me almost two years ago, asking the same question about Wen. I gave him the exact same answer. This time though, I truly believed it, 

"Cindy is ok. More than ok" 

Then I peaced out before I would start taking out walls and burning all the stuff I had just given him. 

My relationship with Cindy had steadily progressed, ending up in its current state of frienship (a stable and dependable one I might add). I had considered multiple times when I should try again and ask her out, put everytime I built up some confidence it's just crumble away from my paranoia of rejection.

Christmas she spent with me and my family, I showed her that I had a good home. On New Years we set off fireworks out of the maze lighting a tree on fire, so I put it out to show her how much I wanted to protect her. Then Valentines Day she gave all the single guys at the academy roses, but I got a yellow tulip instead. I repaid her for it on White Day, leaving a whole boquet of them to show her that I noticed the little things.  

Unfortunately everytime I felt as if she wasn't ready. That I wasn't ready.

My biggest fear is rejection and abandonment and if Cindy gave me eithe of those, I don't know what'd I'd be like. 

- - - - - - - -  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

My feet were already killing me from the high heels, not to mention my usual blisters. The guys better be on time or I might bust a cap in Jiyong's face. 

"Gina; is my dress sticking up again at the back?" I asked, patting it down just in case

"No no, it's ok. I'm sure Jiyong will love it" assured Gina, twirling her small pouch around her wrist. 

This time I had chosen and bought my own dress for the occasion. Jiyong -and I quote- "Think that being matchy matchy is the new thing". So out I went, finding the perfect thing to pair with his fashion sense. I wore a cream coloured dress, with a structured and fitted bottm but loose and airy top. 

I sighed, "Hopefully. He's really particular when it comes to fashion, and I don't want him to have a caniption", letting my eyes fall to the glittering shoes I wore

"I don't understand how you two haven't made it official, you know, as a couple. You like him, he likes you... " she sang, swaying as if music was playing

"I like him as a friend, and that's what we are. That's ok with me. Plus; if he liked me he would've asked me out by now" I replied, secretly wishing he had. 

She slowed down her pace and turned to face me, 

"You've got to be kidding me woman. The entire country knows he loves you"

I wanted to deny it, and say that we were strictly friends and never would be anything more, but I couldn't. I wanted him to like me, but at the same time I also hoped Taecyeon still did. Why was I being so selfish, wanting both to come after me but stopping for neither? 

"I-I don't know. It's me I'm unsure about. Relationships just aren't my thing" I excused, seeing the lights from the entrance hall up ahead

"Well then tell me this. Who have you been confiding in for the past six months? Who's been the one taking you everywhere and giving you everything? Who are you going to the dance with and worrying what they'll think of your dress?" she asked rhetorically 

Yayaya. I know; Jiyong. I kept the answer to myself since we both knew it. 

Gina broke the silence as we spotted Ji and Onew leaning against the large pillars. She almost came to a complete stop as she whispered in my ear quickly, 

"Before we go in Cindy, I want to tell you that I know that you're stuck on Taecyeon still. Even though Jiyong is practically begging you to give him a chance, you won't. Please put him out of his misery, or else he'll go off next year and be forever stuck in the delusional that you'll be his some day. He's my friend too and I don't want to keep watching both of you suffer" 

I'd never looked at it that way. 

She looked over at the guys as they came to meet us, seeing us standing about 20 feet away. Gina smiled with just her lips, adding

"Whoever you really love Cindy, let them know before someone else does" 

I didn't have time to think or form an opinion because Jiyong and Onew had arrived, taking our arms to be escorted in. 

"You look beautfiful Gina" Onew kissed her on the lips, then rested his head on top of her momentarily, "Tonight I'll have to fight off all the guys who come after you" 

His corniness still makes me want to gag. That cheeseball. Whatever; he wasn't my boyfriend, and Gina seemed to like it anyways. 

"See? Don't we look great" said Jiyong, motioning to our colour coordianted outfits 

"You always wear this fancy stuff, so it's normal for you" I said, seeing how his off white dress shirt matched my dress

"Not always, but you don't" he put his mouth close to my face, my skin tingling where his lips grazed, "I think you are especially stunning tonight by the way"

"Thanks" I muttered back with a meek smile, still with half my brain caught up in what Gina had dumped on me. 

The way he held my arm, how he looked at me when he talked. There was more to us than just a hate turned like relationship. Did I like Jiyong? Did he think I did? Hesitantly with all this running through my analytical brain, I quiety added,

"And Jiyong"

He turned his full attention to me, 

"Hm?"

"You look great tonight t-too"  I finished, messing up the end epically in my accented Korean.

If I thought the start of year hooplah was over the top, this freaking went not only over but exploded on the ground. The lighting, the covered walls which bounced the glow from decorative chandeliers; it was practically an Ikea in here. Shesus. 

"You planned this?" I gasped, being whisked off through the mingling students

"Not this time. I rounded up some students from the classes to give their input" he clarified as we approached the front and podium 

"Chincha? You? You worked well with others?" I teased

He rolled his eyes and laughed, 

"And they all live to tell the tale" 

We sat together at the very centre of the mile long table, where Suzy had once been. It made me happy seeing how well Jiyong took to the position, and how he didn't abuse the power. Maybe I was meant to be an Heir, so I could be with him. 

Wait; did I just say that?

"Welcome everyone. How are y'all?"

I had to smirk; he used my Western slang now. Jiyong continued addressing the crowd as the murmur died down steadily, 

"Being your Prince for this extra time has been a pleasure. Together we can now celebrate all the year's accomplishments, with this being the last week of classes. So enjoy yourselves"

The pounding claps of everyone echoed in the hall. Short and simple; I like that type of speech. Good job Ji, well played.

Unlike the arts banquet, this wasn't a banquet. For about an hour was for drinks and appetizers, with the dance commencing after. Inconveniently being an Heir meant I sat at the front, on display for everyone to judge from a far as they gossiped with their friends. 

"I'm going to go for a walk. Want to come with Mr. Matchy Match?" I proposed, nodding towards the crowd to Jiyong

He shook his head, 

"No; it's fine. I'm sure many will want to chat with you anyways one on one. Have fun" 

Dammit; I had been secretly hoping for him to say yes so we could show of our outfits. He was right that we were a package deal tonight. I even wore the freaking button earrings!

With a martini glass in hand -that didn't actually have a real martini in it- I s my way through the hoard. They parted instanltly as if I was Moses and they were the Red Sea. At least I up ending the drink was a little less likely. 

Oops; spoke too soon. 

"Omo! Sorry Cindy!" a bug eyed Hongki grabbed some napkins form a near table, "I-I didn't mean to..."

"Don't worry; it's just on my legs. They probably look better now" I said, waving it off as nothing

He sighed in relief, 

"That's good. Sorry again. Anyways, I have something for you"  

I watched as he rummaged around in his jacket, for whatever he had stowed in there. Carefully he took out a long bristled paintbrush and handed it to a me, 

"... Thanks" I mumbled with a light laugh to hide the confusion

He motioned to a piece of paper tied around the middle with twine. I opened up the small card

You make me so happy

I grimaced, 

"Hongki, we're friends but w-"

"I know, I know. You'll understand. Just wait" he interrupted, before disappearing back into the crowd

Continuing my treck around the floor to see students, I picked up another strange item. 

"A pallette knife? I don't know if I trust you with sharp objects" I teased

"Take them already, ok?" laughed Joon, handing me over the item which had another note. 

You make me understand how to be understanding

Again; I was given no explanation. Just a 'wait and see' before they promptly left. 

Who were these from? They were of some nice quality, so it must be a fellow art student. Some secret admirer that was shy? 

"Hey Jiyong; look what I brought back" I placed the two items on the table, "Hongki and Joon gave them to me" 

"Hm; did they say why?" he asked, sipping away at his neon coloured drink

I kicked off my shoes under the table, sitting cross legged

"Nope. It's a mystery" 

Soon enough the hour was up, and it was time for the dance to commence. The tables were taken away by some of the students volunteers while everyone clumped together, waiting for the music to start beating down from the speakers

 "Stop dancing so well; you make me look bad" I hollered to Onew and Key

They laughed, just upping the diffulty further to embarass my awkward fist pumps and wiggles. 

"Cindy! Cindy"

I spun around to see Eli and Min, patiently waiting for my attention. 

"Oh; you two! Ah!" I yipped, still not over the fact they had made their relationship official

"This now is yours" Eli took out a small wooden paint pallette, "You'll understand eventually" 

How many of these things were out there? Would I have an enitre studio by the end of tonight? Excitedly I folded open the small piece of paper tied to it through the thumb hole, 

You make me feel like someone

I sighed, thinking about the person that could have possibly sent these. Could it be Yunho since he couldn't attend? Could it be Taec?

Ugh; I have to stop believing that he'd come back for me. I was a heartless Heir now. 

Over the next three hours I recieved four more items. A smock from Xiah, a detail brush from Sohee, a paint roller from Jia, and a tube of black acrylic from a freshman named Sandeul. I don't know how these people were all recruited, considering how different they all were from each other. Even though I was having a great time with Jiyong and the other Heirs, all that was on my mind were the messages, now totaling 7

You make me so happy

You make me understand how to be understanding 

You make me feel like someone

You make me be honest

You make me see without judgement 

You make me want to be better

You are the one who changed everything

Suddenly out of the corner of my eye I saw a flash of movement. I craned my neck and jumped to see who it was. This wasn't just some student getting freaky on the dancefloor, I had seen someone running. I gasped, it being over powered by the bass anyways

"It's him..."  

The promise.

At super sonic speed I headed for the stairs. It wasn't some fantasy or dream sequence, this was real. Taecyeon was waiting for me. I checked for followers as I squeezed through the sweaty teenagers. Luckily no one noticed my absense so it was safe. 

My breathing was becoming ragged, not only from the running but because I was nervous. I  didn't know what to expect, or what to hope for. What if he handed me the final art supply and asked me if I was ready for another try? Was I? 

As soon as I set foot on the ancient stone landing the scent hit me. It was him; indefinitely. Gathering up what little courage I now had, I strutted towards his turned away body leaning over the edge,

"You remembered" 

Hearing his voice after months of not made me freeze. It was almost harsh, making me scared of what he'd say next. 

"Y-yea. I..."

"Does he make you happy? Does he take care of you?" Taecyeon asked, still staring out from the ledge

"Who are you referring to?" I asked, slowly inching closer

He turned around fully, showing off his serious expression

"Jiyong of course" 

"He's really all I have for friends..." I muttered, dropping my head

Both us peered up from our feet, our eyes locking together. His were so hollow, like nobody was home inside of him. I'd never seen this side of him, the reserved and cold alternate personality. I could feel my vocabulary slowing shrinking the longer I looked at his emotionless face. 

Then he began to break. Slowly, and painfully infront of me. 

"Cindy. All that time ago, I wanted you to say that we could make it through, that I could" 

I shook my head, gulping

"No. I couldn't watch you get harmed"

"But I loved you" he lowered his already husky tone, "I still love you"

"Well I wanted you to hold me back and make me stay. Shove your desk against the door and say 'If we have to live in this dump 'til graduation, so be it' " I whispered, feeling the sting from opening the old wound

Hesitantly Taecyeon lowered his head down to my level, tipping my chin up with his index finger. I swiftly turned my head away, closing my eyes as if it could block out what I felt

"Don't. Don't make this any harder" 

Unlike during the break up, he listened, restraining himself and leaning against the wall instead. 

"So then why are we here if we aren't going to get back together" he stated 

"I keep my promises. Always" I replied

"After months of not even seeing each other... You have nothing else to say?" he asked, obviously becoming frustrated

I pivoted around a few times, finding a stable footing on the uneven surface. My voice gave away the hurt I felt, 

"You want me to say something? Like how I feel, how I've felt for over half a year? Everyday I would sit and think about if you ever wondered about me, of I meant anything to you. Then I saw you with Suzy. So sorry if I thought you didn't need me anymore. Sorry if Jiyong needed me and I was there for him. Sorry that I am so in love with you that I am willing to see you happy even if it means with someone else"

Heaving and panting I watched as his shell began to crack further. He began to yell at me, 

"You're going to bring up Suzy? That killer? Well then I'll just let you have it about Jiyong! When I saw you together that night at the festival, if I we hadn't been dating I wouldv'e assumed you were together. That sly bastard just consoled and sweet talked you to make you think he really loves you. I was upset, seeing how easily you moved on during the break up and being with him all the time. So don't be getting worked up about me eating dinner with that home wrecker, if you're with one that's just as ba-"

I screamed in his face, 

"Don't say that about Jiyong!" 

The silence smothered us as tears streamed down my face from being on overload. It was as if Taec and Jiyong had been reversed, with Taec dishing out all the dirty details on Jiyong instead. The memories of all the time I'd spent with him cluttered my judgement of who he was now. Then again, was it because of me he was like this? I breathed out a bumpy response, 

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have even have come to this school, fallen for you, joined the He-"

My voice was muffled out by Taec's body as he crushed me against himself. The tone that I was so accustomed to returned, making me feel safe

"I want you to know that everyday when you said you were wondering about me, that I was worrying about you. If you had gotten to class on time, if you needed someone to take out Happy, if you had remembered to charge your phone. Everyday. Everyday I hoped that you were ok without me around"

I loosened his hold around me, peeling off my sweaty hands from his blazer. I again had to look away, or I'd become hysterical. Why couldn't we have had this heart to heart one month after the break up, three month. Why so long? 

"Taec; I missed you" I croaked

"So did I" he grabed me again to hold on to, "But I know you don't anymore. Jiyong is taking care of you"

I shook my head into his chest, 

"But you just said that he was a homewrecker"

"I know, but it's obvious he's been able to keep you going, unlike me. You know how jealous I can get" he sighed

My hands slid in his back pockets like how I used to, trying to fish out any coupons or gum he kept in them. This time I just wanted him closer. whispering, 

"Look at us; are we even the same people anymore?"

Then his hands slid around my face like how he used to, trying to tie my hood around my face as a joke,

"Yes and no. I still am, but you've gotten stronger. You can stand on your own now after the difficult year. Me? I can barely get dressed somedays" 

I laughed softly, 

"It's not like you could before Fashion Terrorist" 

In peace we admired one another, the fact that we were even there together. His large hands warmed my face as my smile flooded out over them. His eyes were filled with longing as I looked into them, not wanting to leave. Unfortunately this was now, and life goes on. We go on.

"I have people waiting for me. I need to close off the night with the others" I muttered

"Now? You su-"

"Yes" I snapped back a little too strongly, so I simmered down my tone, "I need some time. I'm overwhelmed" 

"Ok; but before you leave. I need to give you something"

. . God. No. Wae. Aigo. I didn't need the waterworks to be , not right now before the final dance with Jiyong who would immediately notice if I'd been crying. I anxiously watched Taec as he approached me, wondering what the final piece of the puzzle would be,

"Can't believe how much I waited to do that. I'll see you later" 

Wha.... A kiss? He just kissed me on the forehead? No canvas, easel, drawing model? Everything just went from kind of making sense to a complete crap shoot of I don't know. 

If it wasn't Taecyeon, then who was sending me all the messages?