Short-Stack

If Only High School Made Sense

My bags were falling everywhere as i dragged them towards my new home. More like my new room; actually a half of one since I had a roommate. Currently I was praying that she isn't a stuck up snob.

"You dumb thing, get up the flaming step!" I yelled, kicking the rolling suitcase. Lamely, I dropped the handle by mistake.

I bent down awkwardly to pick it up, squatting on the sidewalk. With my in the air, a group of boys walked by laughing at me. My timing was great. I popped up from the ground to tell them off but they had moved on already. All my clever comebacks go to waste nowadays.

"Here" one of the boys stood my suitcase up right, "Let me help you"

"I ju-... And th-...Thank you" I stammered out, too busy taking in the fact a guy was talking to me.

"I haven't seen you around before, you new this year?" the strangely attractive guy asked.

Struggling to keep a steady tone, I said "Yes, I got accepted into the visual art program".  I got it together a bit more, adding, "I'm from Canada"

"Cool, well I'm Onew. Hope to see you around"

He just grinned, and scampered away to join his motley crew, calling after them to wait up. Was it safe to say that counted as flirting? Then again, I thought it was flirting when a host at a restaurant asked for my name.

Eventually, I struggled my way to the residence. I kicked in my bags carelessly, just hoping I didn't damage any of the food in there. Not even two minutes after stepping foot in the place, lucky-go-happy came bounding up to me and grabbed me in a hug.

"Hi! Annyeong! You must be my roomie, Cindy!" she cheered, jumping up and down.

I smiled crookedly, "Yea, that's me, and you?"

"Gina! I'm so glad you speak English, I thought I'd be struggling to even ask how you're doing. Last year my roomate was Spanish; that didn't go well" Gina sat down on her bed on the left side, "Met anyone else here?"

I shrugged casually, "Other than dropping my stuff in the middle of the walk, having a pack of teenage boys laugh at me, and one of them pick it up out of pity for me; than no"

Gina laughed a cute little giggle, "Well, was he at least cute?"

I didn't want to seem overly girly, so I played it back casually,

"Not super cute, but he wasn't unattractive. He said his name was Onew"

I nearly cleared over the chair when Gina screeched in surprise. I had just said I'd met a decent looking guy, not that I'd won a lifetime supply of jalapeno chips. What was the big deal?

"Onew, the Onew?"

Was there another one? I just nodded my head back, like I did in class when I didn't get the lesson

"Cindy, he's like teen royalty. If the dance major program was High Cut magazine, he and his friends would always be on the cover"

"Well I'm not in the dance program, so this commoner can run around freely" I said, leaning casually against the wall. Too bad I missed and tripped backwards.

Gina offered me her hand, which I took sheepishly. I think sitting is best for me right now.

"Well, Onew definitely has a reputation here, along with several other of the students. Guess you could say the Heirs run the academy"

I stopped playing with my necklace, "Heirs?"

"Sorry, I should have explained. Heirs are the top students, or group, in the programs. The name came from the idea that they're just naturally that talented, inherited it. Most of the girls fall on the ground at the sight of them, since most are guys" explained Gina.

Darn, for a moment I thought I had escaped this childish drama dealing with social status. Guess Korea wasn't that different afterall.

"Who are the Heirs in the visual arts program?" I asked curiously

"Actually, there isn't really one. Last year it was a couple, Youngbae and Sandara, but they graduated." replied Gina

I sighed in relief, glad that I wouldn't have to deal with crazy girls fighting for affection.

For probably a good hour, Gina told me all about the schools social structure, the do's and do not's. I was glad that I knew about these Heirs before classes began. Even though I came to be a visual artist, I still had to take some classes in other areas like drama, dance, and vocal. Maybe my frog's croack could be transformed this year.

My stomach began to grumble, wanting to be stuffed fulll again. I decided that it took priority over unpacking, so food it was. Politely, I excused myself from a still talking Gina and left for the cafeteria in the residence. Twenty minutes of wandering later, I was lost.

"Where you going short stack?" Onew slid out from a room, flicking the door shut smoothly with his foot, "Lost?"

I scoffed, "Uhm, no. I was just... Admiring the different style of architecture in the building". My stomach rumbled at that lie.

"Yes, the boy's dormitories are very intriguing" he remarked sarcastically. Hey; sarcasm was my thing.

He turned around and yelled to a pair of guys walking down the hall. He waved them over to where we were standing,

"Hey Onew, who's this?" asked the shorter guy. Well, I think it was a guy. Guess he just has really feminine features. I could tell he was a ladies man though, it was the way he carried himself and his tone of voice.

"Jiyong, Seunghyung, this is...." Onew pointed at me and squinted, "Yah, what is your name short-stack?"

I rolled my eyes at the nickname, "I am not that short. I'm... average. Anyways, it's Cindy thank you very much."

"Cute" The girly one fixed his hair before introducing himself and his friend, "I'm Jiyong by the way, and this is Seunghyun"

Being my oh so friendly self, I tried to give a nice wave. It wasn't the usual creepy one, so I was pleased. Seunghyun didn't seem to think so though, just giving me a meek smile and bow. It wasn't hugely surprising, since most guys just avoided me all together. I swear sometimes that I was a natural repellent to all things with testosterone. 

Loudly, my stomach gurgled and rumbled. I hushed it, as if it actually would help. Obviously it didn't, so I just looked stupid.

"I really would like to eat, so I'll be leaving" I weaved through the guys' bodies. I then realized I still didn't know where the cafeteria was, so sheepishly I asked "Where do I eat?"

"Just follow this hall to the end, and turn right" answered Onew

I gave him a thankful smile before moving again. I was stopped by Jiyong, smirking

"The table at the front left is the best idea, since the regular students kind of have the seating reserved if you know what I mean"

I took his advice, needing all I could with all the different details in the school's daily life. 

With some bibimbap, assorted snacks, and an iced tea, I sat at the table Jiyong suggested. It was just like the rest, minus the presense of people, so I took a seat. I mauled my food and gulped down the drink. I definitely felt like I had a food baby after eating so quickly. I took out my bag with my sketchbook, and just doodled. I was working on getting the eyebrows perfect on a face when I fell asleep on the table.

The smell of food woke me up. I shot up form the table, a page from my sketchbook stuck to my forehead. As soon as I saw six boys sitting aorund me, I ripped it off as quickly as possible. If the meals infront of them all didn't satisfy their appetites, I'm sure I would suffice, going by their annoyed stares. Was it just me, or did all the guys at this school have a knack for making me completely uncomfortable and embarassed?
 

Simon and Martina never had prepared me for this kind of thing.