The Dating Game

If Only High School Made Sense

"How was he?" Jiyong pulled me aside and out of the hallway, mid stride "Kick his roomate out for you even?" 

"What?" I snorted, busy laughing at a text message from Emily still

"Did Taecyeon and you fun last night? You know I have a reputation to uphold" he whined, shutting the door to a random empty classroom since it was Saturday. 

I backed away from him, "Woah, where'd you hear that boyfriend" 

"I'm Kwon Jiyong, that's why my ego is so big, it's full of secrets" he mused

"No; really" I grumbled, wanting a real answer

"Key told me, plus everyone knows about the fight last night between Lee Joon and Taecyeon. Can't believe the six had to bail him out" he took off his jacket and put it in his man purse, "I think Joon should stop drinking. Once he put pilons on his feet running around saying he was a cyborg, and then layed infront of a store and used the mat as a blanke-"

"I'm not dating Taecyeon" I sighed

He raised an eyebrow, "Then why were you on a date with that traitor?"

"Why do you have such a problem with it, if I was?" I threw back

Finally I had caught Jiyong off guard as he began to ramble angrily and loudly,

"Because it makes me look bad, like I can't hold down a girlfriend. My bestfriend taking my girlfriend will make everyone pity me, and that's not suppose to happen"

Taecyeon was his bestfriend? Jiyong actually cared about what people thought? I tried to in, but he kept on driving through his rant.

"The Art's Banquet is coming up, and how the hell am I going to finish in time if Taecyeon is sweeping you off your feet. The Heirs sure know how to pick the task, they know how much I at real relationships"

I just kept standing against a desk, soaking up whatever insight Jiyong was spewing out. This no longer was about me, all about him now; typical.

"Last time I dated someone was last year and she left me. Everyone has looked down on me after that, so now that I've built up my status back to an Heir, you can't fly around like a free bird. No one ever has stayed with me, I can't lose you too Cindy!"

What?...

Jiyong stopped pacing around and just huffed and puffed trying to catch his breath. An intense staredown went on for atleast two minutes, both of us unsure of what he had just said. Was unlovable Jiyong opening up to me, fallling apart?

 I got the nerve to speak first, quietly asking,

"Want to go out for hot pot?"

With large shiny eyes, he nodded an ok. He was planning another public date tonight anyways, so it may as well be on my own terms.

Docile Puppy continued to be just that, sitting lazily in a desk with his head bowed down. I awkwardly patted his back in an attempt to comfort him. It kind of worked, as Jiyong finally got up and followed me out the door. Luckily, most had cleared out of the classroom hallways for their own rooms, so he didn't put on his brave face and be a total jerk. 

We lumbered over to what you would call a shady looking restaurant, but it was perfectly safe. Don't judge a book by its cover, because this one was absolutely delicious. 

"You want to talk about it..." I mumbled, seeing Jiyong roll into his next mood which was frustration. 

He dropped some noodles into the boiling pot of broth, "About what"

"Whatever has you acting like not a total " I spat, already getting impatient with him

"Woah there, language" he poked a bobbing dumpling a few times, probably pretending it was my head. "You tell me what you think is wrong then" 

The diva was already resurfacing, so I had to act quickly. 

"Why don't you explain why you have such an issue trusting people, especially women. You mentioned a girl" I slowly stated, kind of scared of a temper tantrum on the touchy subject.

He shrugged carelessly, "Yea, I dated a girl and she ruined me"

I frowned, "Ruined you? She sounds like a heartbrea-"

"Wen was great" he interupted, not even breaking his stare down with the table. 

"Can you add to that" I huffed, cooling off my food and still kind of frazzled. He was flip flopping between decency and diva constantly. 

"She was nice, always happy. Nothing more." he nonchalantly answered, clearly hiding the full story. 

I decided not to go any deeper, seeing that his emotionally intune self was totally gone now. Netiher of us made a sound, back the food and occasionally giving each other a look. Only the broth and a few pieces of beef remained, so I think it was time to call it a day and give up. 

"Well Jiyong, if you feel like writing a nice poem, a song, or actually expressing your emotions to someone who is willing to listen, let me know. " I put down some money and got out of my seat, "I'm heading back." 

Now thoroughly done with his antics and thickness, I left him there. 

"Wen loved to go for a walk every Friday at 7:30 together. She would always tell me that stars are proof that even in complete darkness there is some light" Jiyong whispered, some how loud enough for me to hear

I back tracked to the table, seeing Docile Puppy come out of his hiding spot

He continued, looking down at his feet

"Never would she let me kiss, hug, or even hold her in school or public; I liked it honestly. She was my bestfriend"

Coughing quietly to clear my throat, I carefully placed my next question now that he was acutally being useful

"Why don't you tell her this stuff yourself" 

I waited; silence. Jiyong clicked his chopsticks together even though there was no more food. For another minute or so, I listened.  Finally he spoke. He shakily smoothed down his already smooth shirt as he got up. Obviously he wanted to run for it after telling me the answer, maybe it was embarassing, like she turned out to be his long lost cousin. 

His eyes burned into mine as he spoke under his breath,

"Wen died a year ago"

On the other hand, my eyes completely fell out of my head. 

"I'm sorry... I really should not be...." I squeaked, feeling terrible

Jiyong shook his head and walked out of the door. I followed, and sat beside him on a lone park bench that was covered on grafitti. His expression offered no hint to whether he was angry, upset, or just ignorant as usual. 

As if he was writing a diary entry, or completely alone, he went on to talk about whatever popped into his mind about this girl

"Did you know that I was one of the only person to know her real name? All the girls thought it was Wendy and would try to get a glimpse at her liscense when she'd go out. I guess the mystery added to my attraction for her. Turns out it was Guinevere, never suspected it"

I sighed, "Why tell me this Jiyong?"

He perked up, stopping his mush of information

 "Because you care about me, right?" 

For a moment, I almost automatically agreed and assured him with a nice smile. Then I thought about it.. Crap; do I actually care, or do we still dislike one another?

"I'll think about that one" I said slowly, unsure

"But Wen...." He pushed back his floppy hat and hair,  "You remind me of her. I think it's the laugh"

My laugh was a donkey bray, so I found that hard to believe.

"I wasn't lying when I said I liked holding your hand" he admitted sheepishly, seeing as I hadn't said anything in while

He picked up on my quietness, adding, "I really do hope you will like me,  even though I act horribly" 

My hands wrapped around one another, rubbing together so much they were sweating. Nervousness was a sure sign of liking, embrassment, and Jiyong sure made me feel like that right now. Was I falling for a guy that would never catch me? I could only say one thing in my thought drenched mind, 

"I'm heartless, so it's ok"

Jiyong smirked, finally getting some confidence

"I doubt that. You are still here talking to me. Only someone who really cares would listen"

He caught me. 

I didn't notice how much time passed on that bench in the sketchy neighborhood. Jiyong and I actually seemed to be people for once, not machines trying to out last eachother. He let out things I'd never have guessed since no one was there except me. The more I heard about his old girlfriend, the closer I felt towards him. I was sad how no one stepped up and supported him when he needed it most. 

"Ok Taecyeon, he was with her that day" Jiyong lowered his voice, "I don't know why she was in that car" 

That day; her death day. No wonder there was such tension between the two. 

"Did they even know eachother?" I asked, confused why it was big deal

"They dated for a long time. She left him for me" Jiyong explained calmly

My mouth just was able to form an 'O' before completely snapping shut from lack off a response. This stuff belonged in a Korean drama or manga; not real life. 

It was approaching night, and I think a few hours of chat is enough for me to think about. So; Kwon Jiyong wasn't an emotionless unloving beast. He had been madly in love with Wen, who had died while with his bestfriend at the time which was also her ex-boyfriend. That was a whole lot of history between them all.

We slumped back to my room, Gina was fast asleep seeing as her snores/whistles could be heard 

"Thanks Cindy" Jiyong patted my shoulder, "Sorry I can't be like this normally, I am an Heir afterall"

My heart sank a little, realizing this too

"I know. If little G-Dragon can play nice once in a while, that will suffice" I mused, wincing at him 

"I-I...."  he stuttered, losing his words 

Suddenly he dropped his gaze to the floor, refusing to look back up. 

"Sleep well" he walked off before I could reply, "Have fun with Taecyeon" 

I practically could feel the stomping from his feet as he marched away. What got him so fired up suddenly? 

My feet dragged themselves to my bed, beat from all the walking. I hated exercise. With a thump my body landed on the mattress, but I sat back up at the sight on the other side of the room. 

Why the hell was Onew sleeping on my floor? 

Even more alarming was the buzzing phone beside him, the message popped up on the screen as I kicked it out of my way. I couldn't resist to read it... It was a nice looking phone anyways...

From: Jiyong

I'll be Prince in no time; told you I convince Miss Canada. Tell me anything you got from Gina in the morning, going to bed"

I nearly screamed out loud in digust. I take that back; Jiyong's heart not only was non-existant but replaced with a steel lump of manipulation. The only person I was upset with more than him, was myself for believing what he said. A sliver of me kept hoping it was all true though. 

Now the dating game really had begun