Chapter 17

Fighting for Your Love

Ryeowook's POV

I looked over at the clock before finally sighing and getting up.  It was only 5:30 in the morning, but I just couldn't force myself to go back to sleep.  Well, to be honest I didn't get any sleep last night I was too stressed over my math grade.  It was really embarassing to me that I might fail, I had never been good at math, but I had never been close to failing before.  I knew one bad grade wasn't going to kill me, but I had other reasons for being so affected.  It was a pride thing, I just couldn't let him do better than me... not after how he had hurt me... I just couldn't let him win.

I quickly sent a text to both Henli and Minnie telling them that I would be at school early and not to wait for me.  I hoped I didn't wake them up.  I arrived at the schoole gates right as the janitor was unlocking them.  I headed straight for the library, my frazzled nerves soothed by the warm and comforting room.  I looked around and found that I was alone.  I grabbed a stack of books from the return pile to put away, I also popped my  i-pod into my ears.  I relaxed as the sounds of Super Junior-Ms "My All is in You" swept over me in a calming manner.  Just letting the music take me, I began singing along totally in my own little world.

I was suddenly brought back to earth when the song ended and I heard someone behind me applauding.  I spun around and saw the kind librarian Mrs. Cho.  I blushed embarassed that I had been caught.

"That was impressive" she remarked smiling fondly, "I was suprised, I didn't know that you could speak Chinese."

"Oh, um yeah.  I lived in In China and in Taiwan for a few years."  I shyly returned her smile, but I still couldn't shake the feeling of gloom.

"Honey, what's wrong" she asked gently the concern evident in her eyes.  Normally I would have forced a fake smile and insisted that I was fine, but the combination of sleep deprivation and despair seemed to take over as I felt the tears overflow from my eyes.

"I-it's just so hard" I sobbed softly.  I felt the woman's arms pull me into an embrace and I instantly felt comforted.

"Ssshhh it's okay just let it out" she soothed, "Maybe if you tell me it will be better."  At that point all I wanted was the heavy feeling in my heart to disappear so I nodded at her suggestion.  She led me into her office nudging me towards a dark green arm chair, while she began to make two cups of tea.  I relaxed in the plush chair feeling my tired body more than I had earlier.  She returned and handed me a mug before starting,

"Now dear, why don't you tell me what's got you looking so depressed."  I sighed and refused to make eye contact.  I was a little bit embarassed and uncomfortable, but something about the woman made me trust her so I finally let my wall down.  When I did, the swell of emotion made it impossible for me to speak as I began crying once again.  She waited patiently for me to calm down, occasionally patting my hand to comfort me.  When I had collected myself I told her why my heart felt so heavy.

"What triggered my current state was finding out that I was going to fail math.  I know it seems like such a stupid reason to fall apart, but for me it's kind of a big deal.  It's not like my dad will be angry or anything like that, but there are other reasons why I feel the need to excel in school...  The reason is actually pretty stupid really, I know, I'm being petty but I can't help it.  You see, a few years ago I had a childhood friend.  He was my best friend really, and I loved him dearly.  We were still very young, but I feel in love with him.  I thought that he loved me as well, and I just assumed that I would be happy for the rest of my life.  I had my first true love, my family, and all the love I could ever need so I was illusioned into thinking that I would get a happily ever after like in the fairy tales.  But I was mistaken, about four years ago my mother died in an accident.  My dad was so traumatized that he withdrew into his own misery, and I felt like he had left me alone to deal with the reality of her death.  I needed someone, and I turned to my friend, my love, looking for help.  However, he just pushed me away.  He was cold and refused to see me.  He called me pathetic and said that he only felt pity for me.  The one who I thought would save me, left me alone in  the cold.  Soon after that my dad and I moved away, it was too painful to stay where everyday we saw things that brought back memories of my mom.  I never saw him again, but I also never forgave him.  He was one of those students that excelled at everything, he seemed perfect.  So in my mind I had to do better than him, it was just an attempt to make me feel like I was better off with out him.  So when I failed it was almost like he had won, like he had proved I was worthless.  And honestly... I can't handle being tossed aside again... I can't be the pathetic girl that he would pity.  I need to be strong to prove to him, to myself that I actually have some worth in the world..."

As I finished my tangent, I refused to meet the woman's eyes.  I didn't want to see the disgust or the pity, I couldn't handle the rejection.  I felt the tears come to my eyes again and I cursed myself for being so weak.  I stiffened when I felt the librarian pull me in to a hug.  I looked at her shocked at her reaction.  I saw the genuine concern in her eyes, I even saw the beginning of tears.  She saw my suprise and gave a small chuckle,

"Honey there's no way that you could ever be considered weak.  It takes a remarkable person to have those feelings and not give up.  It takes a strong individual to start everyday and be cheerful and happy, just like I see you every day.  You Miss Kim Ryeowook are an exceptional being and the world is a better place because of you."  I looked at this kind woman, the grandmother I never had, and finally for the first time in a while showed her a genuine smile.  The tears running down my face were not those of pain and regret, but ones of happiness.  It was the first time since my mother's death that I felt completely loved and accepted.  I hugged the woman hard, but felt my weak body protest with exhaustion.  She must have seen this because she quickly sat me back down on the chair and grabbed a blanket.  She pulled the soft quilt up to my chin and gave my hand a gentle squeeze,

"It's okay honey, just sleep."  I only managed to smile before I sank into the most peaceful sleep that I had experienced in a long while.

 

Noboby's POV

As Mrs. Cho looked fondly at the sleeping girl, no one noticed the person standing at the side of her office.  The stranger stood off to the side, away from where he could be seen. No one saw him as he finally stood and tip-toed out of the library.  No one saw him as he took a backward glance toward the office.  No one saw him as he wiped the tears from his face.  No one saw him as he left the room alone.


 

now everyone knows why Wookie was so sad, I didn't want people to think she was a grade ...

She just a troubled soul afraid of rejection...

and who was the person...

to be honest I haven't even decided yet...