Confession

IT'S TOP! Well, not exactly..

[Ji Eun's POV]

At times like these, I would be pouring out my feelings to a plushie. The problem this time, is that I can't involve him in this. 

Trashing around in my bed, I scream. Why are relationships so complicated?

My phone buzzes and I sit up with a start, glaring at my phone. Cautiously, I approach it and with cold fingers, open the message.

From: Pooface

Ji Eun, don't feel stressed about what I told you alright? You don't have to give me an answer right now. I'll be waiting for you patiently. :)

I shudder and toss my phone to the edge of my bed. 

Leaping out of bed, I pace in circles around the room. Sure, Zico is a nice dude. And he has made my heart beat faster (many times) by all his player moves. He's a dashing, devillishly charming guy. But why do I find all this so creepy? I always thought that it would be nice to receive a confession from a guy, but instead, I'm horrified by his confession. 

Why am I so dumb? How could I not have realized that he was Zee Ko, that Zee Ko? The names are so similar! Gosh, I'm such a horrible friend!

That day...

I was returning home from my heated arguement with Seunghyun, when Zico texted me, asking me when I was ready to work. Since the cafe was on the way home, I thought I'd drop by.

The cafe was empty and dark when I enterred. 

"Hello?" I called out tentatively, pushing the glass door open. This didn't seem like such a good idea anymore. I slammed my face with my hand, frustrated that I didn't go home instead.

My ears perked up at the sound of voices, and my feet guided me to them. Laughter mingled, as I approached the dim light.

"Noona, hurry up! I don't want to go home late. Aish, why are you so slow?" A male voice whined.

"Yah, if you would help me instead of just standing there, we would've been home by now!" A female voice retorted.

"Father's gonna scold us again! And it's all your fault!" The male voice which I now registered as Zico whined again.

"What did you say? Come here, you..." The female voice screamed, and giggles ensured.

Zico and Luna were chasing each other around in the kitchen, laughing in the process. I tilted my head, watching them frolicking without a care in the world. It didn't seem like Zico hated Luna... And why did he call her 'Noona', when she called him 'Oppa' the other time round?

"Stop it! Hurry before Father really..." The voice trailed off. "Ji Eun? What are you doing here?" Zico said, stopping in his tracks and looking at me like a lost puppy. 

"Erm... Hi!" I said with a little wave. Was I just caught staring at them? Oh no they must think I'm weird now. "I received your text, so..." my voice trailed off.

Zico nodded slowly. I thought Luna would chew my head off at the sight of me, but instead she grinned at me, nudging Zico at the side. 

"What?" Zico asked her in a hushed voice. She merely nudged him, her grin transforming into a smirk.

"Zico ah, I'll be going okay? You finish the dishes! Bye!" She said in a hurry, patting Zico on the back.

"What? Noona..." Zico said, eyes wide and mouth gaping. Luna gathered her stuff, and as she passed by me to make an exit, she gave me a wink. What is going on? This Luna seems very different from the one I saw the other time.

I stood at the doorway of the kitchen, unsure of what to do.

 Zico wiped the metal table in front of him, eyes fixated on it. He chuckled, saying, "Ji Eun, you didn't have to come all the way here. A simple message would have been fine!" 

I blinked. It was weird seeing him talk in such a polite way.

"It's on the way home, anyway," I said, walking to where he was. The kitchen was brightly lit. I peered at the sink, which was full of stained and unwashed cups. 

"So Zico..." I started, planning to ask him about Luna's weird behaviour, when he turned around and jumped.

"Yah! Don't suddenly appear behind me!" He shrieked like a girl, making me laugh. Scooting away from me, he continued to clean the other side of the table. 

I followed behind him to try again. Not that I was really that curious, but it was really awkward now. And if I didn't talk to him, what else could I do?

"Zico, was that person just now Luna's twin or something? That's not her, right?" I said, to his back.

He laughed, finally turning around to look at me properly. "Why do you say that?"

"It's just... She was acting really differently from the last time I saw her." I said, shrugging. The smile on Zico's face fell as he stared at me, tight-lipped.

Did I say something wrong?

"Erm.. Well... If that wasn't Luna's twin, who was that?" I asked, looking up at his eyes. Boy is he tall.

Diverting his gaze to the towel he was holding, he fumbled with the towel. I continue staring at him, waiting for his response. Why is he acting so weird?

"Ji Eun... I..." He started, voice trembling slightly. His nervousness spread to me, and I gulped. 

"I'm sorry I was such a coward!" He yelled, catching me by surprise. 

He couldn't even raise his head, as he shut his eyes tightly in despair. 

"It's okay...?" I said slowly, though I had no clue whatsoever about what he was talking about. It was my first time seeing him so nervous, and to be honest, it was pretty funny. The big scary aloof Zico, being nervous? Never in my life would I have dreamt of this happening. I bit back my laughter, as the silence trudged on.

"Luna is my noona," He mumbled, chin to chest. 

"Oh," I said, blinking.

He looked up tentatively, as if he expected me to blow up or kill him. 

"Luna is my Noona," He repeated, slowly. "That day, that date? She wasn't some crazy girl obsessed over me."

"Oh. That's good then!" I chirped, to which caused him to frown. I added, with a frown of my own, "Isn't it?"

"I... I'm sorry. I was such a coward!" He said, hands flung into the air, voice rising louder. "I dreamt of going on a date with you for so many years, that I was just so afraid I would mess it up, so I asked my Noona to sit in the date with me, and to make me look like I was a really cool guy, to impress you, because all along I appeared to be this charming and confident dude in front of you, but to be honest when it comes to you I just get really nervous, and now you're going to hate me for being such a loser, and I messed things up even further!" He gasped, shoulders heaving up and down after he finished talking.

I gaped at him, as the information sunk in. Wait. He? Wait. Date with me? For years? 

Heat crept to my cheeks.

He casted a wary glance at me, catching his breath. Was this some kind of joke? Zico, the big almighty Zico who wears smirks like wearing cologne, is nervous in front of me?

"But, " I pointed out with a shaky voice, "You only knew me this year. What do you mean by you've wanted to go on a... date... with me for many years?" 

Wow, did I really just ask that? I'm become braver as the days pass by.

"Ji Eun, look at me carefully," He said, eyes searching mine, "I'm Zico."

What was I supposed to see?

"I know that?" I asked, confused.

"You really forgot me." He said. It wasn't even a question. His eyes were drooping so sadly, that I felt a pang in my heart even without knowing what I did. 

Wordlessly, he stood up straight, and tugged me by the hand out of the kitchen. His warm and clammy hand encircled my wrist, as he pulled me gently. He was nervous, I realized. I followed obediently behind him, as he came to stop in front one of the photo frames hanged on the wall near the entrance. Sidestepping, he nodded towards it.

I took a step forward, examining the photo. It was a family photo. The parents smiled happily, as each of them embraced one child. One a girl, the other a guy. My eyes trailed on the guy's features. He looked familiar...

A chubby kid with a crop of dark black hair grinned back at me mischievously from the photo frame.

I felt shivers dance down my back, as realization set in. It was Zeego! Zico was Zeego! Wait, Zico was Zeego?

I turned my head sharply to look at Zico beside me, his eyes watching me carefully.

"You... You're Zeego? You?" I gaped, finger pointing at him.

His worried gaze gave way to happiness dancing in his eyes, as he swooped down and engulfed me in a big hug, lifting me off my feet.

"You remember! You really remember!" He cried, squeezing me tightly.

Shocked, I just patted his back. His warmth engulfed me, and I heard a thudding noise. Was that his heart or mine?

When he finally set me down, I noticed his eyes glistening with tears.

"W..why are you crying?" I squeaked.

"You don't know," He laughed, wiping away his tears, "how worried I was that you had forgotten me. I never thought I'd see you again after I moved away. And when I moved back here, and enrolled in the same school as you two, you guys passed me by as if we were strangers! I really thought.." He smiled, a tear slipping down his cheek again.

"So that was why the other time at this cafe, you were staring at me so intently." I said, putting two to two together.

He nodded, grinning broadly, My heart softened at the sight of his red eyes, and wide smile.

"Why didn't you tell me earlier? You know how forgetful I am," I said softly.

"Well since I've already spilled all the beans, I must as well go all the way." Ignoring my question, he said instead. Biting his lower lip, he looked intently at me. I gulped, sensing his nervousness.

"The moment you hit me as a kid, scolding me for bullying the other kids, I've always thought that you were special. And all these years..." He paused, laughing, "I really missed you Ji Eun."

He engulfed me in another bear hug, wrapping his arms around me. My head snuggled in his chest. I hear the sound of a steady drum. But this time I'm sure, it's not mine, but his.

"I really like you, Ji Eun," He whispered.

 

 

 

 

I squirm, trashing around further in my bed at the cheesiness of it all. It's hard to grasp the situation. Zico, liked, me. And it didn't stop there. He liked me ever since we were kids.

 

What do I do? Suddenly I feel my heart grow heavy at this responsibility. If I'm not careful, he'll end up like those depressed, heartbroken second leads in Korean dramas, who would cry like crazy and then actually become crazy, and would seek me and my future boyfriend for revenge. 

 

What would Hyunnie Oppa think? How am I supposed to talk to him now?

 

Wait... This is between Zico and I. Why is Hyunnie Oppa even in the picture?

 

 

I can't concentrate on lessons the next day. Two idiotic guys were floating in my mind all day, one of whom I don't even know why is there.

You're just in denial. Of course you know why.

I felt like a robot on autopilot. 

"Hi Ji Eun! Going to work?" A cheery voice disrupts my little bubble. I feel an arm on my shoulder, and my skin reacts immediately with goose bumps forming. 

"Zico." I squeak, trying to hide the anxiety forming inside.

He opens his his mouth, but before any sound can be made, he grunts as he is tacked from behind. My heartbeat accelerates at the sight of him.

Seunghyun. Hyunnie Oppa.

I take a deep breath. I can do this. I can speak. 

"What do you think you're doing, Seunghyun?" I force the words out, hoping he doesn't sense the tremors in my voice.

He doesn't answer, but continues imprisoning Zico in an arm lock. 

"Yah, stop it!" Zico winces, flailing his arms (or rather, free arm).

"Ji Eun, are you really going out with him?" Seunghyun says, making eye contact with me for the first time today. I stare at him, shocked at the sudden question. How did he know? 

"Yes! I said yes!" Zico shouts, as I try to gather my thoughts.

"I'm not asking you, you idiot!" Seunghyun lashes out at Zico. If I didn't have Zico's confession to deal with, and Seunghyun's question to answer, I would find this situation hilarious.

Before I can react, Seunghyun is in front of me, with Zico mysteriously gone. How in the world....?

I feel my heart knocking itself heavily on my chest. Oh no, I'm going to die of a heart attack!

Why is this happening? Where is Zico? I don't have the confidence to face Seunghyun now! I still need time to make sense of my feelings for him!

"You... hugged him. Right?" I hear Seunghyun say. I keep my eyes fixed on the road. Avoid all eye contact, avoid all eye contact, avoid all eye contact!!! The last thing I want is to stare at his eyes and be hypnotized again.

"Ji Eun, are you still mad with me. Still?" He asks, quietly, sadness creeping in. Oh no. Ji Eun, you idiot! When people ask you questions, you're supposed to answer them! And now he thinks you're mad with him!

A myriad of dialog comes flooding into my mind. No Seunghyun, no I'm not mad at you. I'm just scared. This has never happened to me before... A confession. And I'm worried that I may be feeling something for you. That's scary. This whole conversation is scary.

"You can be mad at me, but please. Please, just stay away from Zico and Yoseob." He pleads earnestly. 

I didn't want to talk to him. I really didn't. I didn't trust my voice to not waver, and I didn't trust my brain to form coherent sentences. But this thing about Zico and Yoseob? I need to know what it's about. 

"What are you talking about?" I manage to say, frowning at him so that he wouldn't suspect anything is wrong. The moment my eyes met his, my mind went blank.

"Stay away from Zico and Yoseob. They're not good guys." Seunghyun leans in, his worried gaze intensifying. 

Act like you don't like him. He can't find out. My inner love guru commands.

"What do you mean? Yoseob's the nicest guy I've ever met!" I say, attempting to glare. The words fall out on their own without full comprehension on my part.

"Nice? He's far from nice. Do you even know that he's the one that landed me in this curse?" Seunghyun says, his tone rising. Why is he so angry?

I scoff, "He won't even kill a fly."

"I'm telling you. He was the one who made me in this state. He has powers, Ji Eun. You have to be careful of him." Seunghyun says, urgently.

But... How can this be true?

"Powers?" I laugh, but it comes out forced. "I've known him far longer than I've known you!" 

"It's true!" Seunghyun retorts, and my heart breaks at his exasperation. "He's one of them! Don't trust him!" 

I can't do this any longer without breaking my facade. My heart might just burst into a million pieces a second longer.

"Zico, let's go to work now." I say, breaking eye contact. My heart relaxes. I need to escape from him as soon as possible.

"You're going to work with him?" I hear Seunghyun's protests from behind. Yes, I don't want to go to work with him, Seunghyun. Without a proper answer to his confession no less. But what can I do? I need the job.

And so, without looking back, I trudge forward, with questions from the conversation bombarding my mind. Why did he say I needed to be careful with Zico? And even Yoseob?

If Yoseob is really the one who landed Seunghyun in his curse.... Then who is the Yoseob that I have known all along?