Dandelions and Sunflowers

IT'S TOP! Well, not exactly..
Real Story by Infinite

 

[Seunghyun's POV]

 

People buzz around me, and I can't even register the blurred faces that pass by me. Every step forward feels as if I've just completed a marathon-- my legs feel like lead, and my breathing is ragged. Why is this happening to me?

 

Words pass through my ears like water passing through fingertips, "Seunghyun, I just got a call! We've gotta rush back to the hotel before I'm late!"

 

I hardly recognize my own voice which says, "Yeah, I'm fine. I'm right behind you."

 

Images swirl even as I try my hardest to focus my vision.

 

I take one step forward.

 

I walk through the hallways, many heads turning to my direction. I wink at a few of the good-looking girls, and ignore the rest of the ugly ones. Some guys attempt to say 'hi' to me, but they're clearly overestimating themselves. Who are they to even say 'hi' to me? In the future, they'll all be working under me, anyway.

 

A second step forward.

 

"I knew it. I knew that you won't betray me, right? I love you. I don't believe all those rumours." I say, trying to hide the desperation in my voice as I tug at her arm.

"Get away from me. I don't need you anymore." She says, flinging my hand away, as if it was scum.

I can't feel anything else, other than the pain stabbing me in the chest. I can only watch as she walks away, without once looking back.

 

The third step forward....

 

"Seunghyun ah," the man says, ruffling my hair.

"What is it, Father?" I scoff, annoyed that he was disturbing my television show.

The television screen suddenly blanks out to black. I am about to protest, but then I catch sight of my father's grave expression.

"Are you being disrespectful to me, your father?" he says, his gaze cold.

"No father, I'm sorry." I duck my head, avoiding his cold stare.

"Listen to me, Seunghyun," he says, taking hold of my hands suddenly, making me squirm. His grip is hard, not gentle.

"Son," he continues, "You are to be the future CEO of KR Incorporation. People will try to get close to you, try to take you down. You must be careful of people. Do not trust anyone. Do you understand?"

I don't understand all this 'adult's talk', but I nod dutifully.

"The CEO is an important position. You must work hard to make me proud, ok?" He says with urgency.

I don't understand why he is feeling anxious, but his anxiety strikes something in me. This is something important.

I nod seriously, to appease him.

He finally breaks into a smile, and becomes the father that I know, and ruffles my hair once again.

And then he leaves.

 

I can't take it any longer. The pain in my head is excruciating, almost as if my brain has been punctured by a bullet. Ji Eun... Ji Eun, where is she? But I can't even make out the blurred images in front of me. More figures come up to me, and the noise escalates, making the buzzing inside my head worse.

 

Stop it. Go away.

 

It's still here. It doesn't go away.

 

Why doesn't it go away? Why doesn't it go away? Why doesn't it go away?!

 

Do I need to chop off my head to escape from this pain? Will it help if I smash my brain, the source of the pain, to pieces?

 

I clutch onto my head desperately, short of pulling out my hair.

 

And then suddenly the noise fades away.

 

"Everyone, he's not TOP. You've got the wrong person. Please excuse us. You've given him great discomfort." a voice says, whose words drift through my head once again.

 

Ji Eun? Thank God she came to save me!

 

"Seunghyun... Seunghyun.... Are you okay? Can you hear me? No...I'm not Ji Eun."

 

What's happening? I shut my eyes tight, willing the pain to disappear.

 

A cold soothing hand touches the top of my head, and immediately the fire raging in my brain is tamed. The swirling images stop, the foreign voices stop speaking, the "show" I've been watching in my head ceases. My vision clears, and it feels as if the pain has been extracted from my brain just like how an object would be.

 

"Ji Eun's boyfriend? Hello? Are you okay?" The same voice says, and I look up to see that Yoseob guy looking at me, a bit appalled.

 

"You..." I start to say, "Just now.. How did you get rid-"

 

"Ah you're alright!" He says, beaming. "Hey I'm sorry but we've gotta hurry back alright? I'm gonna be late for assembly. Are you feeling ok now? What happened man?" he says, glancing at his watch.

 

"I had a headache. It was so painful. And then there were images... And voices. Almost as if I was watching a movie..." I say, but once I look at Yoseob, I stop. He looks at me, almost as if in fear, as if I've said something wrong. He suddenly composes his expression, and turns his face away from me.

 

"That's really weird. We should go to see the doctor sometime, huh? I'll call Ji Eun to tell her you're safe." He says, walking briskly ahead of me.

 

I don't know what just happened... But I am thankful (though I hate to say this) to Yoseob. Since it does seem that he pulled me out of that immense pain.

Well, at least, that was what I thought immediately after my pain was finally taken away.

 

 


 

[Seunghyun's POV]

 

  As Ji Eun and her little friends go around doing who-knows-what, I dive through the sea of information of  Kim Kibum's I see on the net. If the vivid scenes I just saw are actual memories of who I am, that would mean that...

 

  My chain of thoughts is broken by a splitting headache again. I sigh, and try to think of music, clothes and-- Oh look, a bird.

 

  This always happens whenever I try to recall any of the scenes or say, memories, which I had seen earlier. The fleeting images make me impatient. They come at the least expected moments and when I try to grasp at them, my mind is blank.

 

  But what I do remember, what I remember very clearly, is what happened just before I out....

 

  What happened just before I became a plushie for the first time.

 

  "Joo Rin huh..." I sit in front of Ji Eun's computer, mulling over her name.

 

 


 

[A few days later...]

 

[Ji Eun's POV]

 

 As I look through the photos on my phone, I can't help but smile.

 

 Even though most part of the camp has been drama, drama... and lets see what else... oh that’s right, DRAMA, at least I did manage to gain some friends.

 

 Jonghyun says that they're probably just getting close to me because I have a hot boyfriend, but DOES THAT MAKE ANY SENSE?!

 

 This is infuriating. The moment I finally have new friends this cousin of mine tells me that they’re fake. As if he has the right to tell me that.

 

 My phone’s screen lights up and starts buzzing. Speaking of the devil, Jonghyun’s calling.

 

 “Ji Eun ah! Wanna go out with Oppa?” he exclaims brightly from the other hand.

 

 I sigh. “Sorry, I already promised Seunghyun that I’ll be searching together with him today.”

 

 “What?! Wow, that Seunghyun is really…” Jonghyun says muttering to himself.

 

 “We’re trying to help him regain his memories you see. He told me that he saw some flashbacks recently.” I explain, running a hand through my hair.

 

 “Is that so?” Jonghyun says, in a somewhat happy tone. “Alright! Then I’ll go over to your house now!”

 

 “Yup, okay….” I murmur, until I register what he said. “Wait, what? Why?!”

 

 But the phone line was already dead. He hung up on me?! This cousin of mine is asking for a beating!

 

 I punch in his number, about to call him, but then my phone vibrates again. It’s a new message.

 

 Ha, it must be Jonghyun begging for forgiveness. Even if the messages has a lot of hearts, I’m not going to forgive him!

 

 “What?” I blink. The sender isn’t Jonghyun. It’s an unknown number. I click open the message, wondering who it could be from.

 

 

From: Private Number

 

I know who the real Seunghyun is. I know that he isn’t your boyfriend, Ji Eun. Be careful. Don’t be deceived by his good looks. Seunghyun, the real human one, is not as nice as you think he is.  Search your heart and you will know that what I am saying is true.



 

I stare at the anonymous message for a few seconds, stricken with fear. How… How did he know about Seunghyun? And how does he know his real identity?

 

 It sounds like a warning written with good intentions… But then this would mean...

 

 What if Seunghyun really isn’t as good as I think he is?

 

 “What are you looking at?” Seunghyun says, and I jump.

 

  “Nothing,” I say smiling. It can’t be. How can I trust a message from someone I don’t even know? I turn around to face him, admiring the good looks of the almighty Choi Seunghyun. How can anyone on Earth look this perfect? I will never get sick of his face. His beautiful jawline, sparkling eyes, kissable lips…

 

 I jump with a start and feel the heat creeping up to my cheeks at the memory of a few days ago… the kiss…

 

 “Is that okay?” I hear him saying, and I nod my head without understanding it at all.

 

 “Really?!” He asks, shocked, and I can only nod my head while trying my best not to think of that incident. Don’t think about the kiss, don’t think about the kiss, don’t think about the kiss. ARGH! It’s not working!

 

 I groan in frustration, and shake my head of these inappropriate, and totally-not-fuzzy thoughts.

 

 Seunghyun’s laughter brings my glare to his face, and I snap at him, “What is so funny?”

 

 “I never thought you’d say yes! You can’t take back your words now okay!” He says, with a grin that makes me very uncomfortable.

 

 “What did I say yes to…?” I ask, with a feeling of dread overcoming me.

 

 “I’ll tell you later, when we’re there. Come on, let’s go~” He says a bit too cheerfully.

 

 Oh drat.

 

 

 As we walk down the pavements, I take time to treasure this scene.

 

 Me, and TOP Oppa, walking down the streets, with the birds chirping, people envying, and TENSION THICKENING. I can’t even imagine myself walking with TOP Oppa now all because of Seunghyun!! Just what did I agree to do?! ‘When we’re there’?! What is that supposed to mean?

 

 Maybe he asked me to buy more expensive food for him again. Or maybe he asked me to be his slave forever. Or maybe.. HE ASKED ME TO KISS HIM AGAIN?!

 

 I gasp, and my hand shoots to my mouth. Seunghyun looks at me with raised eyebrows, and I glare back in disgust. HOW DARE HE? ONE KISS WASN’T ENOUGH?!

 

 “What?” He asks, his frown deepening.

 

 I am about to shoot him down with accusations and scold him till he cries, but then I spot Jonghyun oppa in the distance.

 

 “I told you to wait for me, didn’t I?” Jonghyun says, his breath coming out in small clouds of mist.

 

 “What are you doing here?” Seunghyun says, stepping forward in front of me, like a lioness shielding her cub from a predator. Okay, that was a poor analogy, but still.

 

 “He wanted to go out with me.” I say, peeking over Seunghyun’s shoulder at Jonghyun. Jonghyun tilts his head to see me, but Seunghyun blocks him. “Look just because I’m short doesn’t mean you can bully me alright?” I huff.

 

 “We’re busy. Ji Eun’s going out with me.” Seunghyun says, completely ignoring what I just said.

 

 “Alright… So what’s the plan?” Jonghyun says, challenging him.

 

 “There are around 6000 Kim Ki Bum’s in Korea. If we check out 20 of them a day, we’ll only take 300 days to find all of them.” Seunghyun says proudly. I gape.

 

 “ARE YOU SERIOUS?!” I slap him on the back, making him jump. “That’s your grand plan?!”

 

 “It’s a lot of people, I know. But you agreed to help me find all of them already.” He says, grinning.

 

 I stare at him, speechless. Is he stupid, or stupid?

 

 Jonghyun chuckles, as I fume.

 

 “Didn’t you say you had some flashbacks? Can’t you narrow down all these potential people down?” I say, covering my face with a hand. Calm down…. Calm down… The guy is a plushie, he probably doesn’t really have a brain.

 

 “Well yeah.. But every time I think about those flashbacks, there’s a piercing pain in my brain.” he says, not looking a teeny bit sheepish. What do you know! The guy says he has a brain!

 

 “Can’t you at least try remembering?” I say with gritted teeth, glaring at him through the spaces between my fingers.

 

 “Which part of ‘piercing pain’ do you not understand?” He responds, annoyed.

 

 “I’m not going to take 300 days to search with you! That’s way too long! I have a life too you know!” I say, my hand dropping to my side.

 

 Seunghyun stares at me wordlessly, while I do my best to glare at him.

 

 He drops his gaze, and turns to go, walking hurriedly (or rather stomping angrily) away. Jonghyun looks at me with a face that says ‘it’s totally your fault’ while I scowl at him. Gosh, Seunghyun is such a girl!

 

 I try to catch up with him, but my legs are short. One step of his is equivalent to two steps of mine. As he gets further and further away, I feel worse and worse. Maybe I really did go too far. How could I have asked him to hurt himself for the sake of my convenience? I’m the worst person ever.

 

 “Seung...hyun… Wait…” I pant, but he’s metres away.

 

 “Yah! Idiot! Slow down!” Jonghyun, a few steps behind me, yells. It’s probably because we have similar genes that we’re both short.

 

My short legs stumble forward as I try my best to walk briskly, and suddenly I knock my head into a tree. I look up, massaging my head.

 

  “It’s ‘Hyunnie Oppa’. Not ‘Seung...hyun...’” Seunghyun says dryly, mimicking my tone.

 

   I nod slowly, grabbing onto him as I catch my breath. Why am I so weak!

 

  “Sorry, about just now…” I say, still panting. “Is it really that painful when you try to recall something?”

 

 “Yes. It’s so painful I think I would die.” He says with a serious expression, but his eyes are sparkling.

 

 I laugh. “But you sure are stupid. Can’t you narrow down the suspects even more?”

 

 His gaze hardens. “I already told you…”

 

 “Like for example,” I say, cutting him off, “Your family must have been really worried when you disappeared. So they’d probably report to the police about your disappearance, right?”

 

 “So what?” He said, indignant. Gosh, this guy is dumb.

 

 “SO, this means that we just need to look for a Kim Kibum who is ‘Missing’.” Jonghyun says, resting a hand on my shoulder as he catches his breath. I smile. Great minds think alike! Or rather, Seunghyun is just too dumb to think of the obvious implications..

 

 “And since you’ve been with me for approximately 3 weeks, the ‘Kim Kibum’ we’re looking for would be missing for 3 weeks, or more.” I continue, and laugh secretly as realization dawns on Seunghyun. His eyes and mouth open even wider, as he finally understands what we’re saying. So. Cute.

 

 “Alright, let’s go. I’ll google on the way, though the possibility of finding ‘you’ is still difficult.” Jonghyun Oppa says, as he leads the way, and Seunghyun follows excitedly behind.

 

 On the bus, I sit with Jonghyun, and Seunghyun sits behind us, alone. He mopes, staring outside the window.

 

 “Why are you helping us?” I ask Jonghyun, poking his shoulder.

 

 He smiles, and says, “Why wouldn’t I? The sooner we find out Seunghyun’s real identity, the sooner he’ll stop pestering you, right?”

 

 I freeze. Seunghyun’s real identity? What if I really find out who he is today, and he turns out to be a very horrible person?

 

 I force out a laugh, nodding.

 

 “I’ve always wanted to ask you this, but why do you keep helping that idiot?” Jonghyun asks. “A reason other than you being kind,” He adds on with a slight smile before I can answer him.

 “I.. Don’t know. Perhaps it was because I was lonely. And when he was a plushie, he really seemed to listen to my problems, to soak in my tears, literally.” I say laughing. “And of course, he looks like TOP Oppa!”

 

 I laugh, and happen to catch Seunghyun’s eye. He looks away, flustered.

 

 I choke on my laughter. What was that about?

 

"You okay?" Jonghyun asks, patting my back as I cough.

 

 Seunghyun continues to stare out of the bus window without even turning his head my way.

 

 I continue talking to Jonghyun, and decide to brush the matter aside.

 

 However, the matter refuses to leave my brain, and at the back of my head, more questions arise.

 

~~~

 

 It’s only the third campus we’ll be looking into, but my legs and whole body are sore from all the walking. And to think that Seunghyun wanted us to visit 20 schools a day? I can only laugh bitterly at his idiocy.

 

 

 So far, we have located two “Kim Kibum”s. Not exactly “locate” them, but locate people who know them. And… somehow Seunghyun knows that the Kim Kibum’s which we’ve “located” are definitely not him.

 

 

 I’m beginning to think we’re going in circles, and that this thing is leading to nowhere.

 

 

 Even if we really locate Seunghyun’s neighbourhood, before he was turned into a plushie, how is Seunghyun supposed to magically know that that is the neighbourhood we’ve been looking for?

 

 

 

 Seunghyun looks at the gates of the school, his eyes shining with anticipation. This is the first time I’ve seen him try at something so hard.

 

 

 “Come on, let’s go in!” I urge him, pushing him from behind.

 

 

 The campus is huge. I suppose it’s a good thing that korean students are so hardworking, because even though it’s the holidays, many of them are still in school. And this means that we have many of them to ask about “Kim Kibum”.

 

 

 “We’ve got to hurry up,” Jonghyun says, looking at the time on his cell phone. “It’s evening already, and Seunghyun won’t last any longer in his plushie state.”

 

 

 Seunghyun and I nod in unison, as we split up and ask students we see about Kim Kibum.

 I approach a guy who looks around my age and try to be as friendly as I can.

 

 

 “Hi, do you know who is Kim Kibum?” I say, “We’re looking for him.”

 

 

 “Oh that douchebag, Kim Kibum?” he says, annoyance written all over his face. “He’s not here anymore. He was killed by some gangsters because of his foul attitude. Serves him right.”

 “Killed?” I echo, in shock.

 

 

 “Wow, you really mustn’t know him, huh? He’s this guy with such a huge head, and goes around school everyday with his nose in the air. Thinks he’s so great just because he’s the heir of KR Corporation? Psh. Stuck up.” He says, spitting out the words.

 

 

 If this Kim Kibum is really killed, then Seunghyun can’t possibly be this guy. Although the description of him being a stuck up would definitely suit Seunghyun.

 

 

 “Thanks for your time,” I bow politely, and the student walks away.

 

 

 I see a girl sitting at a table near by, head buried in books. Wow the students here sure are hardworking.

 

 

 “Excuse me, sorry to bother you,” I say, smiling, but when the girl looks at me, I feel like I shouldn’t have even disturbed her. No, a more accurate description would be that I feel as if my life has been shortened by a few years. Her face is void of emotion, as she just stares right through me.

 

 

 “I… I was wondering…” I stutter. Have courage, Lee Ji Eun! It’s all for Seunghyun’s sake! “Do..do you know someone… by the name of Kim Kibum?”

 

 

 “Kim Kibum?” The girl blinks, emotion and colour returning to her face. “Kim Kibum….” She says the name again, and her eyes are filled with tears. Gone is the humanoid without emotion.

 

 

 “Could you tell me more about him?” I ask carefully, a bit taken aback by her sudden transformation from robot to little wailing girl. So Kim Kibum has such an effect on girls huh?

 

 

 “Kim Kibum is my husband.” She says, sobbing. Husband?! She’s married?! But she only looks around 16 years old! “I love him with all my heart. But then, he went to pursue his dream of being a model, and so he left the school without a word. Without a goodbye even to me!” She cries, breaking down into tears.

 

 

 Confused as I am, I pat her back dutifully. My heart aches at the sight of this girl crying.

 

 

 But why are the stories different? So was he really killed or did he run away from home?

“Why are you looking for Kim Kibum?” A voice says, and I look up to see a very boyish face. I look behind him, and see the guy whom I’ve talked to just now, watching us.

 

 

 “Why are you looking for Kim Kibum?” He asks again, no sign of friendliness in his face.

 

 

 “It’s a long story,” I say, but when he gives me that deadpanned expression again, I quickly raise up my hands in defence, “But I promise I don’t mean any harm!”

 

 

 The boy continues to stare at me, as if studying an animal stuck in a cage.

 

 

 If he is so concerned about someone looking for Kim Kibum, then perhaps he is quite close to him?

 

 

 By now I’m quite sure that this isn’t the Kim Kibum that we’re looking for, but it wouldn’t hurt to ask one more person, I guess.

 

 

 “Do you know who Kim Kibum is?” I ask bravely, as he continues to stare at me.

 

 

 He sighs, and takes a seat across from the still crying girl.

 

 

 “Of course I do. He was my best friend.” He says sadly, staring at the table.

 

 

 I nod, for him to continue, but he just continues sighing and staring at the table. Awkward??

 

 

I clear my throat, and that does that trick to pull him out of his daze. “Could you tell me more about him?” I prod.

 

 

 “He… It’s kind of true.. They must have told you he’s stuck-up, and that he was extremely handsome or something like that. Both are true. But please don’t believe the stories. They’re the worst.” He says, hiding his face in his hands. “Kibum has always been the talk of the school. And when he suddenly disappeared, everyone just decided to make up their own story of what happened to him.”

 

 

 My hand reaches out to comfort this boy, to pat him; to make him feel better.

 

 

 “What's going on?” Seunghyun says, appearing at my side. When did he get here?

 He looks at the boy in front of me, and says in all seriousness, “Please don’t bother a girl like that with your tears. It’s rude.” Turning to me, he grabs my hand and drags me from the seat.

 

 

 “Wait, you look very familiar,” the boy I was talking to says.

 

 

 Seunghyun stops and shoots him a displeased look. But as he studies the boy’s face, his frown fades away. “You… You look familiar.. too..”

 

 

 “Ah! I know. You look like the rapper TOP.” The boy chuckles. “Wow, it’s really a splitting image.” He marvels.

 

 

 Seunghyun lowers his head. Is he embarrassed? I peer at him. “Seunghyun…?”

 

 

 His eyes are clutched tight, his face mirroring pain.

 

 

 “Seunghyun. Seunghyun, are you okay?” I ask, trying to keep calm. I bend lower to look at him. I’m sorry. I’m so sorry. I shouldn’t have even suggested that you try to recall those flashbacks. How could I have forgotten how much pain you went through the other time at the library?

 

 

 

 “Hyunnie Oppa! Yah, don’t do this to me,” I laugh nervously, pressing my palms against his temples gently. He doubles over in pain, crouching in a ball on the ground.

 

 

 

 “Is he okay?” The boy says, but I can barely register what he is saying.

 

 

 “Oppa, Oppa! It’s okay! I’m here! You’re fine! What’s wrong? Oppa?” I can’t help but shout, as I cradle his head against me, both of us a mess on the ground.

 

 

 “I’m alright,” he whispers so softly that I almost don’t hear it. Relief floods me, as I still continue to soothe his back in circles.

 

 

 His eyes slowly open and he watches me. “Don’t cry,” he says, with more strength now.

 

 

 I blink in surprise, hardly noticing the tears that are rolling down my face.

 

 

 “Are you okay? I’m so sorry,” I whisper, looking down at his face.

 

 

 He laughs, getting up, with a hand clutching to his temple. He turns his attention to the boy and says, with a smirk, “It’s been a long time, Samdong.”

 

 

  My hand still grabs his arm, afraid to let go.

 

 

  “It’s a long story, but I’m glad I’ve found you.” Seunghyun says, his hand clasping over mine to comfort me. My heart slowly stops racing, and my shoulders relax.

 

 

 Is this it? Have we finally found the Kim Kibum who is actually Seunghyun?

 

 

 And is Kim Kibum someone I’d wish I don’t know at all?

 

 

After telling Samdong the whole story about how Seunghyun the plushie came to be, Seunghyun, Jonghyun and I sit expectantly at a picnic table, waiting to hear Samdong’s side of it.

 

 

“Wow, I don’t know what to say. This all sounds so bizarre. And yet, I somehow believe you.” Samdong says, pinching his nose. “Things have been crazy in school after you disappeared.

 

Like what I told Ji Eun, everyone has been making up crazy stories of how you disappeared. And your parents! Do you know how worried they are?”

 

“Samdong,” Seunghyun says patiently, “I don’t even remember how they look like. Could you tell me more about myself instead?”

 

Samdong chuckles while shaking his head. “Wow you’re actually asking me! Kim Kibum was never polite to anyone.” His smile faded, as memories played in his mind, his eyes mirroring emotions he felt during these memories.

 

He takes out his phone, and after a few clicks, he shows us the screen.

 

Seunghyun, Jonghyun and I stare at the picture in awe.

 

 

“You look better as TOP,” I whisper to Seunghyun.

 

“Nobody looks better than TOP to you,” Jonghyun whispers back instead.

 

Sam Dong doesn’t seem to hear us whispering, as he begins speaking, staring into space, “I won’t say that we’re best friends, but I guess I’m kind of Kibum’s-- I mean, your friend.” He turns to look at Seunghyun. “I’ve known you ever since we were kids. Oh, do you know that your father is the president of KR Incorporation? You always felt pressured to do well so that you could be worthy of the company. But people started betraying you. And you finally lost it when Eun Jung was one of those people as well.”

 

“Eun… Jung…?” Seunghyun said, a blank expression on his face. I feel my breath hitched against my throat, afraid that any time now, the same pain would shoot through him when he recalls something.

 

“She…” Samdong faltered, looking slightly uncertain if he should go on. “She… She was your girlfriend, remember? You loved her so much. But in the end when she was offered an opportunity to further her studies at a prestigious institution overseas, she left you despite your pleas. I tried to warn you, but you were too blinded by love, I guess. Eun Jung said that she was only with you for all the fame and money.” Samdong paused, looking at Seunghyun worriedly.

 

Seunghyun seemed deep in thought, his expression serious. “Go on,” he said.

 

“And after that… Well you became the way that you are now. You formed a shield, at least that’s what I believe. Told yourself you were all great and everything, to make yourself feel better. I guess you did that because you didn’t want to think that you were so worthless that Eun Jung dumped you. You stopped trying, stopped keeping up the perfect image of the chairman’s son. And you basically despised everyone, hated everyone, even.” Samdong said sadly, bringing his gaze up to meet Seunghyun’s.

 

Seunghyun shut his eyes tightly, his clasped hands shaking.

 

“Hyunnie Oppa, are you okay?” I asked gently, though deep down inside my heart was palpitating wildly. Not again. Why does he have to suffer like this?

 

A few minutes passed, as the three of us continued to watch him worriedly, without a clue as to what to do.

 

“I’m fine,” He said softly, when the shaking reduced to a slight tremble. I finally released a sigh of relief. He continued on,” I think… yes… I can vaguely remember the things you said.”

 

Jonghyun placed a hand on my shoulder, and I looked at him with raised eyebrows. A slight smile spread across his face. Huh? What?

 

“You… Is everything that you said true?” A shocked voice interrupts us and I turn around to see who it was coming from.

 

Yoseob come out from behind a pillar, staring at us with a flabbergasted look on his face. Oh no.

 

“Yoseob!” I say, shocked, myself. “You.. You heard everything? What are you doing there?!”

 

“So you mean to say he’s actually a plushie?” He asks, staring at Seunghyun in awe, as if he was he was a little boy who just witnessed a magic trick. I know I should be panicking over the fact that now three other people knew the truth about Seunghyun, but instead I find myself thinking that Yoseob LOOKS SO CUTE. Stupid hormones.

 

“Erm, I don’t know how to explain this. But it’s a really long story.” I say, smiling sheepishly.

 

“Why don’t you answer her question first? She asked what you were doing here.” Jonghyun says, his voice cold.  Why was he being so mean to Yoseob?

 

“Ah….” Yoseob mutters, scratching the back of his head. He comes to sit down on the bench we were sitting, and looks at me. “My cousin studies in this school. And I came to meet her for something.”

 

“I really didn’t mean to eavesdrop! I just wanted to say hi, but then you guys looked like you were talking about something serious, so I just waited, and somehow… I listened to the whole story.” Yoseob blabbers, grinning like a little boy. Who could stay mad at this boy?

“Right!  As if such a thing could happen!” Jonghyun says, gruffly.

 

“Oh come on, don’t be so harsh on him! Why would Yoseob lie to us? And besides, it’s not that big a deal if he knows!” I defend him.

 

“Not a big deal?” Seunghyun asks, and I turn my eyes from Yoseob to Seunghyun instead. He is staring at me seriously, and I gulp. Did I say something wrong?

 

“If it’s not a big deal, then why did you make such a big fuss over my disguise and everything?”

he challenges, still wearing a stone cold expression.

 

“Well, that was because if people saw you, they would see TOP instead. And that could endanger TOP’s career! This is an entire different matter!” I answer, eyes narrowing at him. Why is he making a fuss over nothing?

 

“Wow you’re really unbelievable,” Seunghyun scoffs with a laugh. “So when it involves TOP, everything has to be kept secret. And when it involves me, it’s alright even if my secret is revealed!” He says bitterly.

 

“So what if your ‘secret’ is revealed? How does that even endanger you?” I say, my tone rising, as I put up air quotation marks. This guy is just so stupid! Such a girl! Why is he trying to pick a fight?

 

“Well I don’t know!” he shouts, standing up, “If there are people whom I’ve offended enough to put this stupid curse on me, who knows what else they might do?!”

 

“They won’t do anything!” I shout exasperatedly. “Gosh! You’re such a girl!” I can’t tolerate him anymore! Before I know it, I’m stomping away angrily, away from them.

 

 


[Yoseob’s POV]

 

See, Ji Eun? He isn’t that nice a guy as you thought he was. Being with him will only bring you pain.

 

“Ji Eun ah!” Jonghyun shouts, dashing after her. Samdong looks at Seunghyun worriedly, about to tap him, when I stop him.

 

“Don’t worry about him, I’ll take care of him,” I say with a smile. Samdong still frowns, unsure if he should leave. What a stubborn guy. “I’m sure you’re busy right? Thanks for your time with us. I’ll contact you,” I say, and we exchange numbers. Finally he nods, and disappears into the campus.

 

Seunghyun still stands rigidly, heaving in and out. The air hangs still; only his breathing is heard.

 

“You’d better not think I believe you,” he says, his voice strained.

 

“Oh, you’re talking to me?” I ask innocently. “Hey, maybe you should go after her. She seemed really angry.”

 

“The other time when I was trapped by that pain, you were there. And then suddenly all the pain was gone when you came. And now, just when we’re searching for my real identity, you’re here as well?” He says, turning to me, a dangerous glint in his eyes. Wow I’ve gotta give plushie boy some credit for this one. He’s pretty smart!

 

Speaking of that incident, it’s extremely weird that Seunghyun would experience those flashbacks. It’s not supposed to happen! He isn’t supposed to remember anything about his life, only until the spell is permanently broken. It’s been worrying me for a while. Don’t tell me Joo Rin messed up? But her skills aren’t that bad for her to mess up. But then, why? Why would he receive all those flashbacks?

 

“Speechless now, are you?” Seunghyun says, bending down to meet my eye level.

 

“Huh?” I say, tilting my head to one side.”What did you say?”

 

“Oh drop the act. Playtime’s over, Yo-yo guy.” He says, scowling. Wow he’s pretty insistent isn’t he? “You can fool Ji Eun, but not me. Who exactly are you?”

 

“Fool Ji Eun? You make me sound like some crook,” I laugh. “Could you please not come so close to me? It’s a bit awkward.” I say with a little squirm.

 

“You’re one of them, aren’t you?!” Seunghyun shouts in my face, grabbing me by my shirt’s collars. Wow, plushie boy sure is angsty.

 

“Alright, alright. You’ve got me,” I say, chuckling, putting my hands up in surrender.

 

“But if I were you, I wouldn’t treat a magician so roughly.” I say, my smile falling.

 

Seunghyun releases his grip slowly, still staring at me. Awww is plushie boy scared?

 

“It’s not me who cursed you. It was Joo Rin.” I say, brushing off the dust from my collar.

 

“Why are you doing this to me?” Seunghyun says, his voice low.

 

“Gosh, didn’t you hear? I said it wasn’t me already!” I say, pouting. “I’m on your side, dummy.”

 

Seunghyun scoffs, taking a step back. “As if I’d believe you.”

 

Well he does have some brains.

I mean, it isn’t fully false that I’m on his side. It’s just that, well, for Ji Eun’s sake, it looks like I have to take things into my own hands.

 

“Alright, believe whatever you want. But I have a deal for you. You want to break free from this curse, do you not?” I ask, beaming at him.

 

Seunghyun still glares at me, wordlessly.

 

I continue on, “I can free you from it. Forever.”

 

Seunghyun’s eyes widen.

 

“The curse works like this, either you leave your owner, or you stay with her forever.” I say, playing with my fingers. “But if after one year you still don’t leave her….” I look up and him.

 

“You’ll be stuck as a plushie, forever!” I chirp, my eyes now boring down on Seunghyun’s.

 

Seunghyun stares at me in horror, frozen in his position.

 

“Aw come on, what’s with that look? It’s just Ji Eun, right?” I say, grinning at him.

 

He looks away, deliberating. I sigh. I’m already here, willing to give away all my powers just to free him for this curse. Can’t he be more cooperative?

 

“You don’t have to give me an answer now. But you just have to tell me before your one year as a plushie is up.” I say, shrugging. “Oh and by the way, your time limit as a human for today is going to end.”

 

Seunghyun stares at me, saying “Wait-”

 

But it’s too late. WIth a poof! , he lies on the ground as a small and cute plushie.

 

I step over where he is, my shoe nearly stepping on his scanty body. But nah, I’m not so bad. Oh look, he’s the same size as my foot!

 

I look down at him with a sly smile.

 

“Consider my proposal okay? And since I’m such a great protector, I’ll bring you home.” I say, with a wink.

 

The plushie stares up at me, with a frozen expression.


 

As I make my way over to Ji Eun’s house with Seunghyun in hand, I ponder over the recent happenings.

 

I sigh. Just how long will it take before Ji Eun realizes my feelings? As I think about her, I see her beautiful face in my mind. Her bright kind eyes, which light up whenever TOP is mentioned. Her soft hair which bounces whenever she runs for class. Her pained smile which she smiles so often as a defence. The buildings I look at but not see are a red blur outside the bus window.

 

I let out an exasperated laugh. This girl… Seriously… Peals of laughter escape my mouth, and I don’t even care if the other passengers are looking at me weirdly. How can I blame Ji Eun? She probably didn’t even have a clue that I liked her. It’s all my fault. I should have confessed to her long ago. Then maybe all these won’t be happening now.

 

I clench my free hand. The one which is not holding plushie Kibum. Just why… Why did I have to know of Joo Rin’s plan after she casted the curse? Why did Ji Eun have to be involved? If Kibum really likes her, and he gets broken free from the curse because of her…

 

Then surely Ji Eun would fall for him, like what the Book of Spells says.

 

I almost puke at the image of them kissing. Seeing Kibum kissing Ji Eun that time was enough. I don’t want her to actually be kissing him back for real. I’d rather sacrifice all my magic powers for the curse to be broken than actually enable it to happen! And that’s exactly what I plan to do. Though sadly I still need that plushie’s consent in the form of his blood.

 

But he doesn’t seem to like Ji Eun, so he’ll probably agree to the deal I offered him.

 

I’ve always thought that out of all the curses and spells in the Book of Spells, this one was the worst. It didn’t even make sense! But no matter how I think about it, it’s strange that Seunghyun would remember things from when he was still Kibum. It’s extremely strange. Could it be that there is a glitch in the spell?

 

But that’s impossible. Joo Rin isn’t some new magician who would make such a grave mistake.

 

I make a mental note to research more on the Toy and Owner love curse.

 

It’s hilarious how Joo Rin asked me to keep watch over this “couple” just because I’m the only magician in their school. She will never guess how much heartbreak her request has brought me. But how could I tell her? She would only feel apologetic and guilty. Haha I’m becoming another Ji Eun, always worrying about others.

 

The bus nears Ji Eun’s neighbourhood.

 

I think… I think… I think I shall take a step of courage. I should confess to Ji Eun. And since Kibum is most probably going to accept my offer, maybe I could stand a chance with her! I can’t help but smile, thinking of Ji Eun and I being a couple. Even if she doesn’t accept, at least from now onwards she’ll look at me differently, and she’ll know that I like her. My heart thuds against my chest. How should I do it? Should I do it today?

 

I bubble with excitement at the thought of even seeing Ji Eun in just a few minutes. I alight the bus, with “Seunghyun” still in hand. Walking and humming, I make my way to Ji Eun’s house.

 

The wind whips at my face, and I snuggle into my coat tighter. The streets are bare, with only a few pedestrians in sight. Still, my heart feels warm.

 

I pass by a florist shop, and immediately go inside. I choose a bouquet of dandelions and daffodils-- bright like Ji Eun. I wonder what her reaction will be when she sees it?

 

My steps quicken, like my heart pace. I look at the cheery shops on the street as I pass them by. Oh what a great day it is today!

 

I halt in my steps. Is that really what I think it is?

 

My arms go limp. The flowers and Kibum fall to the floor.

 

I can only stare, stricken, pain ripping through my chest.


 

A couple is hugging, inside an empty cafe, the blond boy wrapping his arms around the girl's small build, the girl nestling her face into the crook of the boy's neck. Why is Ji Eun hugging Zico in a coffee shop?

 

 

 

 


[A/N]

Hi! Credits to pimdrive for the poster! I wanted to post it with a new update but I took so long to update sorry!

Do tell me what you think of this chapter! And see you in the next one! :D

Happy New Year's!

Notelights :)