I Give Up

IT'S TOP! Well, not exactly..

 

Insane by BTOB


 

[Ji Eun's POV]

Six days, twelve hours and fifty three minutes.

That's how long I have been living with TOP Oppa! Excluding the time before I knew that he was actually my plushie of course.

These past six days, twelve hours and fifty three minutes- oh wait, now it's four minutes, have been the most wonderful, beautiful, happiest moments in my life, I think. A contented smile made its way to my lips and I bounced in my seat uncontrollably. Never in my life would I have thought that I would be able to see TOP Oppa in person EVERY DAY, yet alone wipe his sweat (I even kept the handkerchiefs!), buy magazines for him, serve him food everyday, and just cater to his needs.

A small giggle escaped from my lips.

Speaking of food, it seems like TOP Oppa's taste in food has changed drastically? For his meals the past few days, I had bought him all his favourite food (there was an interview in which he revealed all his favourite food. hehe.) but all were rejected harshly by him. Yesterday's experience was by far the most heartbreaking. I had bought him jajangmyun (noodles with black bean sauce), to which he dumped on the floor, after which he bombarded me with a few.. erm.. let's just say, dissatisfactions. But no big deal, it's a good thing the food didn't leave any stains on the floor after fifteen minutes of scrubbing.

Rather, I'm quite worried for TOP Oppa because he barely touched his food. Oh, he must be so hungry! But I really don't know what food suits his taste! I've tried buying him his favourite food from "higher-class" eateries and even restaurants which I would have never stepped into because of the price, but the food just goes to the dustbin. And, what I wonder why he's being so considerate? Every time I ask him what he would like to eat, he just replies that he's not hungry.

"Grr...growl..." A terrifyingly loud noise reverberated through the class. Oh no, all this thinking about food has made me hungry. I looked around slowly and broke into a sheepish grin, my cheeks burning. Classmates around me were giggling as they looked at me, and I felt myself duck my head down instinctively. Argh, I made a fool out of myself, AGAIN. I felt a painful knock on my head, and I naturally let out a shout. Oops, I covered my mouth with my hand quickly before turning around to glare at whoever threw whatever that thing was at me. From a few seats away, Yoseob was grinning happily and waving at me.

My annoyance turned into confusion as I turned to look at whatever he was pointing at, which turned out to be a cute hot dog bun. Oh, this was for me? I looked at him questioningly. He just smiled and nodded, before joining back into the conversation with his group of friends. A warm feeling surged through my body as I stared at the hot dog bun.

YAY, FOOD! I greedily wolfed down the hot dog bun. Wow, I didn't know I was this hungry. All I did was skip a few meals. And I even ate cereal so it shouldn't be a problem.

But still the hot dog bun tasted SO good. Oh well, this is what happens when you don't have enough cash. I should have saved up earlier. Speaking of cash, I need to get a job soon, since my money was fast depleting from buying all those high-quality-but-not-good-enough-for-TOP-Oppa food. If I don't get one, no amount of skipping meals would help!

 

~~Later that day~~

The Coach looked at me dubiously with his crossed arms and finally spoke, " Are you sure you're up to it?"

"Yes! Yes! I'm sure! Thank you!" I bubbled on happily, reaching forward to shake his hands gratefully, although it was kind of difficult to pry them away from his crossed arms. 

"Okay. The pay is only five dollars per hour though. And I need you to clean the Basketball Court and Gym everyday after the Basketball players have finished their training. It has to be," he paused for a dramatic effect, "speckless. You hear me?" 

"Yes yes! Of course I will! Thank you!" I nodded, even though I didn't know what "speckless" meant.

"Hmph. But you'll have to leave at around 8pm in the evening, is that okay?"

"Yes yes! Thank you! Thank you!" I bowed and nodded profusely, and quickly rushed out of the room, calling over my shoulder, "Sorry, I have to rush to choir practice now!"

"Your work starts tomorrow!" He shouted out but I was already quite far. 

I ran happily down the hallways and smiled at a few friends on my way to Choir Practice. Yes! I got a job! Thank God! This was almost too good to be true!

As soon as I opened the Music Room where we were having our Choir Practice, I bowed and waved excitedly to my other choir mates, whom I was pretty close to. Before I could even take my place, a strained voice called out to me.

"Ah, Ji Eun! I was just looking for you!" I know that voice.. and just hearing it made me cringe inwardly.

"Yes, Jonghyun Sunbae-nim?" I asked meekly, seeing him walking briskly towards me.

He smiled and I smiled back, but actually all I was thinking of right now was.. HE SMILE IS SO FAKE. I felt myself shiver in disgust.

"Could you help collect a box of water bottles from the cafeteria? It's for our section." he asked me with a "charming" smile, which just made me shrivel in disgust even more. Even though it sounded like a question, I knew it was more of a command.

"But Jonghyun sunbaenim, choir practice is starting soon. I can't afford to be late." I said in the most respectful voice I could. After all, he was slightly older than me (by a few months) and was my Choir Section's leader. His smile faltered slightly at my reply, and I panicked, quickly adding, "No, I don't mean that I'm unwilling..." I tried fumbling with my words, but let out a sigh of defeat in the end. "Fine, I'll go now."

He gave a curt nod and left, and I was pretty sure I saw him smirk as he did. This guy... not even a fake thank you? If you're pretending to be nice at least pretend all the way!

No time to lose! I dashed to the cafetaria, but my legs were weak. Again I say this, I am not running material. Nor do I have strong arms. I gave the drinks store Aunty a nod and a smile, before grabbing the box of water bottles. How heavy can this thing be?! I attempted running again, back to the room, but could only manage to stumble over my legs. Hwaiting, Ji Eun! You can't be late; the instructor would kill you! I mentally cheered myself all the way as I struggled with the box.

Beads of perspiration were already dripping all over my face. I scolded that cousin of mine in my head angrily. He definitely did this on purpose, knowing that I wouldn't be able to handle this by myself. Sometimes I wonder why we can't just get along well.. wait I did not just think that!

Finally, after what seemed like forever, I reached the Choir Room, huffing and panting. But dread overcame me at once. It was silent inside, which only meant one thing- that the instructor had already arrived. Rather than moping around, I tried the positive approach. You can do this, Ji Eun! I gritted my teeth and with all the courage I had, pushed open the door, with that heavy box of water bottles in hand.

"I'm so sorry I'm late! I'm so sorry I caused everyone inconvenience!" I hurriedly said, or rather half-shouted, as I bowed my head low. The silence which followed was so deafening, and only made my heart race faster. I was unsure of what to do, and just stood in that position frozen, my head bowed, and my back bent a full 90 degrees.

"You. What's your name!" the instructor's booming voice broke the silence, and made me jump slightly.

"Lee Ji Eun, sir," I tried saying, but it came out as a squeak.

"Ji Eun?!" Before I knew what was happening, a loud BAM was heard, as something landed on my spine heavily, sending a stinging sensation which spread rapidly down my back. My eyes widened in pain, as I cried out in shock, and collapsed on the ground. The box in my hands was sent falling to the floor, bottles scattering everywhere. I looked up slowly to see Mr Choi with a broom in his hand, towering over me.

"Do you know how late you are?!" He grunted, and I quickly looked away from his scary face to the floor. I t was only now that I felt the whole Choir's stares on me, and that sinking feeling that I was so familiar with returned. The feeling of dread, the feeling of humiliation. But now there was also anxiety and nervousness creeping in. How late was I? I didn't know.. What should I say? Oh no, he's still expecting a reply.

"Erm.. no.. sir.." I said in a voice that was barely a whisper.

"A whole two minutes!" he screamed, his voice echoing throughout the room. "What are you to delay choir practice, and waste my time?!" I cringed at his loud voice.

"I..I.." Should I explain about getting the bottles?

"No excuses!" he screamed, his voice higher this time and another of the broom landed on my back. "Stupid girl. Who's her section leader?!" I could feel my heart thudding rapidly against my chest, as tears began to sting my eyes. I felt so wronged, I didn't deserve this humiliation. The tears were at the brim now, but I bit the inside of my cheek to keep them in.

"Me, sir," I heard Jonghyun say, his voice shaky.

"You," that instructor said, "and you, do you take choir as a joke?! You may jolly well get out now if you do!" No, please don't suspend me from choir, I wanted to cry out, but I bit my lower lip, in case my voice would break because of the tears.

Thankfully Jonghyun spoke up, "No sir, I'm terribly sorry, Sir. I promise nothing of this nonsense would happen again."

"Hmph, sorry? Well it's too late to be sorry. Today's choir ends here! And all of you can just blame these two idiots!" Mr Choi concluded, and at the same time which he ended, he dropped the broom to the floor, causing a loud thud to be heard. With that, he left the room in a few quick strides, which in the process my fingers got trampled on. That did it. As if a dam was open, my tears came pouring down my face involuntarily. I just sat there awkwardly, while everyone left, whispering and chattering.

A pair of shoes stopped in front of me, but I didn't look up. I didn't want the person to see my awful crying face, to which I'll be ridiculed at. The person stood there for awhile, before he (I presume) sighed and left.

I turned my head to watch that stupid leader's retreating form with a few more sobs escaping from my throat. I frowned at the bottles which lay limply across the floor and just cried even more. it up, Ji Eun, stop it, I told myself. I hated feeling this pathetic. I hated crying. After finally calming down, I brought myself to my feet when I squatted, instead of sitting, which brought a sharp pain to my back. I winced, but continuing picking up the bottles, and placed them in the box.

 

One hour later..

I arrived home, my back aching, with magazine and a box of food in hand. Ah, at least I could see TOP Oppa now, I cheered in my head.

"Oppa, sorry I'm late. I've got you fried rice! It has really high reviews so I'm sure it's quite nice!" I called out to him as I made my way to the hall. And just as I expected, he was sitting on the sofa watching TV. He glanced at me and resumed watching his program. 

I happily made my way to him and handed him the food and magazine, to which he stared at it dubiously. If this was yesterday, I would've panicked. But now, I was far too emotionally drained and just hoped that he would finally like the food I bought. He reached his hand into the plastic bag, and took out the box of fried rice cautiously. He frowned, and I knew what was coming.

True enough, he slammed the food on the floor, tilting his head to glare at me. "Why can't you even buy proper food?!"

Blankly, I watched the rice spill out of its box, onto the floor. That's it.

I can't take this any more.

I gritted my teeth and glared back at him.

"What is wrong with you?!" I cried.

He was clearly taken aback and stared at me, eyes widened.

"You," I reached forward to grab his shirt, yanking him up from his seat, "You're not the TOP Oppa I know!"

"No, scratch that, you aren't TOP Oppa at all, are you?" I snarled, looking him in the eye, while he gaped.


 

[A/N]:

Hello! I know, I know, I haven't uploaded in a long while! So sorry! Because of that, I may update another chapter tomorrow or today or sometime soon.  Yes, Jonghyun is meant to be in this fic. Yayy he's finally here~~ :)

Thanks so much for reading! Thanks for sticking by me even though I update reallyy slowly! Sorry about that~

Thanks, love you, see you in the next chapter!

BYE! ^^

-Notelights

(Ps: Do comment please, thank you. :) )