The Story of Hyunnie Oppa

IT'S TOP! Well, not exactly..

 

 

 

Hitchhiking, SHINee  


[Seunghyunnie's POV]

 

 

  My arms were aching but that was the least of my concerns as of now. My heart was too troubled.

 

 

  Ji Eun's face may look really peaceful now that she was sleeping, but I could still picture this angel-like face contorted with rage. Thinking about this filled me with even more anxiety and dread. And fear. Fear of her wrath? Or fear of being discovered? Just what would happen if people knew about my existence?

 

   I could almost see this make the headlines. “NEWSFLASH: TOP LOOKALIKE FOUND, CLAIMS TO BE A PLUSHIE”.

 

 

 I tried to lower Ji Eun down slowly onto the bed, but she slipped through my arms, and landed roughly instead. She stirred in her sleep and muttered a string of incoherent complaints. I sat at the edge of the bed beside her, and watched her frown deepen, and nose crinkle.

 

 

 A smile crept to my face. She looked so funny, frowning and scolding in her sleep like that. Ah, she must be dreaming of me! It’s only natural of course, since I have such a charming personality! Ha, I bet she’s secretly falling in love with me already!

 

 

 Time seemed to stand still as I heard her mutterings lessen, and her frown slowly smoothen out to nothingness. My eyes happened to travel down to her lips, and I felt a jolt of electricity go through me. I was reminded of the feeling of her lips on mine, and immediately that thugging feeling on my chest returned.

 

 

 

 

Ba-THUMP, Ba-THUMP.

 

 

 

 

 

 I clutched on to my chest miserably, willing it, and the heat which was evident on my face, to go away. This is really weird! I gulped and looked away from her face.

 

 

 Weren’t these weird feelings because I was turning back into a human? And by that, I mean the real, human me?

 

 

 Well, nothing’s happening now. Apparently kissing Ji Eun didn't work. I sighed. Maybe Ji Eun had to be awake? Maybe she had to sincerely want to kiss me? That wouldn’t be difficult since she’s tried to kiss me so many times. Ha.

 

 

  Or maybe she has to be in love with me when she kissed me? Like those crappy fairy tales.

 

 

  I shuddered at the thought of Ji Eun and I being a couple.

 

 

 

  A loud jingle broke my chain of thoughts and the peaceful silence in the room.

 

  “HARU HARU, MUDYO-JYOGA-NEEEEE” a familiar tune blared from nowhere.

 

 

 

  I panicked, unsure of what was going on. When I saw Ji Eun’s eyelids lift slowly, I hurriedly left the room.

 

 

 

 

  “Hello?” her voice said, slightly husky from her sleep. I snickered behind the wall.

 

 

  

   A pause.

 

 

   “Ohmygosh Clara! Hi! Hi! Hi!” she piped up. Looks like the mere voice of this Clara was enough to wake her up completely. That's right, she was speaking to her on the bus too, right?

 

 

  “Erm... Yeah.. I’m fine. Hahaha...” She said, which I thought really sounded forced. But there wasn’t anything bad that happened recently to her... Was there? Why was she faking it?  I frowned, confused.

 

 

 “Jonghyun? Ah, why are you mentioning that idiot?” She whined. “He’s still the same stupid, thoughtless jerk he is.” She paused, then added, “Don’t worry, he isn’t bullying me! Puh-lease. I can take care of people like him, thank you very much. Really! Stop underestimating me!”

 

 

   I heard her friend on the other line shout something.

 

 

 “Clara! Don’t say that about him!” Ji Eun said in a strained voice. Hm, apparently “him” is referring to Jonghyun? Don’t say what about him? I was really itching to hear the full conversation.

 

 

   “Yeah, I know he’s an idiot and a real jerk. But.. But.. Well.. He’s still my.. cousin...” Ji Eun said in a small voice. Wait, Jonghyun is her cousin?! What kind of cousin hits his dongsaeng?!

 

 

 

  “You know... We weren’t always like this. What do you mean by..? Aw come on! You know exactly what I mean! He used to be really nice to me, yes I know it’s hard to believe. But we used to be best friends. Didn’t I tell you this already?” I gawked. I really did not understand a single thing she said.

 

 

 

  “Ah, you are- of course! I don’t.. You’re my best friend now, really! I really don’t.. Agh.” She sighed. “I guess.. a bit.. I guess I do miss him sometimes a bit.. I wonder what happened... That he would suddenly betray me like that.. Why Clara? Why would he do that to me? He was all I had.” Ji Eun’s voice broke.

 

 

 Without knowing what I was doing, I rushed into the room. Ji Eun’s eyes widened when she saw me, and she hurriedly looked away. She was too slow.  I had already seen the tears glistening in her eyes.

 

 “I’ll call you back, Clara.” She said, and hung off.

 

 

 It was only now that I realized what I had done, and what I was doing. I awkwardly stared at her, and quickly looked away, busying myself by looking at a painting on the wall nearby.

 

 

 

   “This painting..." Come on you have to think of something sensible to say! "it’s really interesting huh?” I said, studying it intensely. Someone just bury me now.

 

 

 

 

   Without a word, she stood up and went out of the room, brushing her shoulder against mine as she did so. I blinked in surprise.

 

   “Hey, Ji Eun...” I said in a small voice, as I followed her.

 

 

   She sat on the sofa in the living room, and the television.

 

 

   “Ji Eun.. Are you okay?” I asked, standing uncomfortably in the middle of the room.

 

 

  No answer. She continued to stare blankly at the television. Why was she ignoring me? I didn’t do anyth- oh. It seemed so long ago that I had made her angry. Was this because of not disguising myself well enough?

 

 

  “Ji Eun, can’t you hear me? Ji Eun ah! Ji Eun ah~” I sang, and crept closer to the couch. When she adamantly refused to answer, I decided, IT'S AEGYO TIME. 

 

 

 

  I slung my arms around her neck from behind, and nudged her head with mine. “Ji Eun ah~ Why are you angry? Please don’t be angry~” I continued singing sweetly beside her ear.

 

 “Y-yah... Stop it..” I heard her mutter.

 

 

 

  “Oh? You finally answered me!” I beamed and climbed over the couch to sit beside her.

 

 

 

  She looked away but I could see the tinge of red across her cheeks. Score 1 for the irresistable Seunghyun!

 

 

 

   “Awwww... Why are you like this? If it’s about the disguise thing, then please forgive me~ I was... at fault~” No, no I wasn’t, actually. I felt my smile falter a bit.

 

   Her icy demeanor cracked as she muttered, “You’re being really unfair.”

 

 

   “What? What did you say?” I asked, grinning.

 

 

   “Nothing. Just don’t go out like that again.” She said, her face still turned.

 

 

   I couldn't do it. I couldn't keep up the smiling facade. Why was she being so unreasonable? I had already put on the disguise she brought!

 

  

   “Why?! Why not?” I said.

 

    She looked taken aback at my change in tone, but regained her composure. She finally looked me in the eyes.

 

    “Because anyone can recognize you with just a mask and a hat!”

 

    What? I almost laughed at the absurdity over what she said. She was really angry over that? Something in me just snapped.

 

 

    I looked at her, her eyes narrowed in resentment and mouth twitching in anger. It felt as if I didn’t know her anymore. Who is this person? Where is that selfless girl, who treats a guy like me to good food even if it would mean that she had to starve?

 

 

 

  Maybe I really didn’t know her. After all, she was only a girl whom I’ve known for over 2 weeks. A girl who just took me in, nothing more. Who knew what her motives were. She only did it because I looked like TOP, of course.

 

 

  A roommate. That’s right. That’s all there is.

 

 

 

  I shook my head, smiling. The smile gave way to a laugh, and soon I was bellowing in laughter.

 

 

 

  Ji Eun stared at me cautiously, a worried expression on her face.

 

 

 

  This looked more like the Ji Eun I knew.

 

 

  But then again, did I really know Ji Eun, at all?

  

 

 

 

  I gripped her wrist, and dragged her to the bed room, ignoring her pleas to let go.

  

 

 

 

  I found them, and put on the hat and scarf with two swift motions. I pushed her lightly to the bedroom’s mirror, and said,

 

 

 

  “In what way do I look like TOP at all? Tell me, Ji Eun.

 

  “I already covered my face like the other time. I’m sorry if I didn’t completely cover it like a mummy.” I said sarcastically. “I know I signed the contract, but I’m not your prisoner okay? I have my freedom to go out as well! I didn’t ask for any of this! I never wanted to look like your ‘TOP Oppa’."

 

  Being face to face with not mine, but that idol’s face, I really felt like punching the mirror. I would have, if not for Ji Eun intercepting my punch. Her small hand enveloped my fist, shaking slightly.

 

 

 “I’m sorry. I’m sorry. It was all my fault. I was just.. paranoid?” She said meekly, and I looked at her through the mirror.

 

 

 

  “To be honest... Even like this, I can clearly see how much you resemble TOP... “

 

   I dropped my arm in defeat. Why was she so stubborn?

 

 

 

  “No no, it’s probably because I’m his fan... But, I mean, you can go out! Definitely! You must feel bored being cooped up in a room all the time. Just.. erm.. Maybe... wear a better disguise, please? You don’t have to mummify yourself..” she said warily.

 

 

  I sighed. I hate this plushie curse.

 

  “Alright then, deal! You can’t take back what you said!” I slapped on a grin and patted her head.

 

   Ji Eun eyed me uneasily.

 

 

   “I’m sorry, really. You must have been really angry... Please forgive me! I’m just... It’s so scary to know that TOP Oppa’s career could be endangered.” She looked to the floor. Every ounce of anger and disappointment my heart harboured instantly melted away. Who could ever be mad at such a person?

 

 

 

   This was really like the- I stopped myself.

  

 

 

   Ah heck, this was really like the Ji Eun I knew. Who am I kidding.

 

   I smiled, and almost told her that it was okay, before I thought of something even better.

 

 

   “In that case, you need to do something for me.” I said.

 

 

   “What?” She asked cautiously. Regretting your decision already, Ji Eun?

 

 

   “Tell me about what’s going on between you and Jonghyun.”

 

 

 

[Ji Eun’s POV]

 

 

 

   I stared at him.

 

 

  “What do you mean? Who’s Jonghyun?” I asked.

 

   “Don’t play dumb with me. You forgot that I saw him at the thrift shop? Tell me, then I’ll forgive you.” Seunghyun said gently.

 

 

    Aw man. I shouldn't have said anything.

 

 

 

   I sat on the bed, with him on the other side.

  

  

   “What do you want me to tell you?” I asked cautiously. Why did he want to know anything about that jerk anyway?

 

 

 

   “Everything.” He shrugged. This guy!

  

  

 

 

   I didn’t trust myself to say everything without tearing up, but I guess Seunghyun won’t let this one pass.

 

 

 

 

   I sighed. When was the last time I talked about Jonghyun?

 

 

   “Jonghyun is my cousin...” I began reluctantly.

  

   “But not only that, he was my best friend. Previously, my dad was in jail..."

 

   When Seunghyun seemed like he wanted to ask more about it, I quickly added, "But that’s another story." He nodded slightly, shoulders slumped.

 

 

  

   "It was just my mom and I. Jonghyun and I were really close, because I was always alone. I don’t have any siblings you see,” I said,

 

  

 

   “So Jonghyun was kinda like my big brother, even though we’re the same age. Since kids, we would always play together.... Haha, there was this one time...”

 

 

 

(Ten years ago)

 

 

“Aha! I found you!” “AHHHH!” I screamed at the same time Jonghyun said it.

 

 

 

  “You scared me- Hey! Yah! Stop it!” I waved my hands in front of me, to block the water which was shot towards me, but in vain.

 

 

   Jonghyun laughed merrily, and soon I had to join in too. I scurried out from under the slide, and ran, with Jonghyun bounding after me. With a swift motion, I grabbed my sniper and aimed it at Jonghyun.

 

 

 

  “Take this! And this!” I pressed the trigger, imagining bullets pelting him from my “sniper”.

 

 

 

 “The Good always win!” He yelled out a battlecry, and I quickly dodged the stream of water.

 

 

 

 “Hey! I thought I was the good guy!” I giggled.

 

 

 

 “Well Princess Ju, YOU THOUGHT WRONG!! AHAHAHA! FACE THE POWER OF MY BAZOOKA!” He pressed the trigger on his own water gun rapidly, as the “bullets” rained down on me.

 

 

 

 “You’re the bad guy, Dino! Don’t think that you can fool me! PIU PIU PIU!!”

 

 

 

 “Oh no you didn’t! BZCHBZCHBZCH-” Jonghyun continued shooting, but stopped half-sentence.

 

 

 

 “Oh no, I’ve run out of water!” He whined, and I chuckled.

 

 

 

 “Surrender now, Dino, and nobody gets hurt!” I commanded.

 

 

 

 “Nevarrrrr!!!!” He yelled, and lunged at me, tackling me to the ground.

 

 

 

 Giggles filled the once silent playground, and soon, our other friends came out of hiding to fight against the Evil Dino.

 

 

 

  Out of nowhere, a huge giant appeared. He lurged towards one of my friends, and broke her water gun! When she started crying, he laughed! Everyone fled the playground in panic, and Jonghyun and I were left to face this real monster.

 

 

 

  He tackled Jonghyun once he locked eyes with him, probably because Jonghyun was the guy.

 

 

 

  “Jonghyun!” I cried out, watching him faceplant the ground. I glared at the bully.

 

 

 

  “How dare you do that to my friend! You evil, monstrous, bully!” I screamed at the top of my lungs. He was taller than me by a few feet, but I still marched up to him, and punched him in the stomach.

 

 

 

   “Ji Eun!” Jonghyun whined.

 

 

 

 

   “Are you okay?” I rushed to him, wondering what was wrong.

 

 

 

   “You shouldn’t have punched him! My mom says that only bad people punch others, and that you’ll go to jail!” He exclaimed angrily. I immediately felt scared, and went over to that bully. There were tears welling up in his eyes, and he was clutching his stomach painfully.

 

 

 

    “I’m sorry! Are you okay?” I asked, kneeling down beside him.

 

 

 

    He grunted his incoherent reply.

 

 

 

    “I’m sorry! But you really shouldn’t bully people like that. Jonghyun says that only bad people punch others, and that you’ll go to jail!” I said, but helped him up on his feet all the same.

 

 

 

   “Promise me you’ll never do that again...” I said, and looked at the bully’s name tag, “ Zee Go.”

 

 

 

   “I promise I promise!” He said.

 

   After recounting one of my fondest memories, I said with a smile, “See... Jonghyun was really kind....”

 

   Seunghyun looked at me, confused, and asked, “Then-?”

  

 

 

   “Then one day, Mom left me at Jong’s house.

 

   “I hated her for that, but I have to admit, it was really great fun. We did everything together, everyday. He was like the older brother I always wished I had. Without my mom with me, Jonghyun was my pillar of support.

 

 

   “But then, on another day, Mom brought me away. Later I would know that it was because my dad owed money to loan sharks. We moved to a different town, until we were sure that they weren’t pursuing us anymore.

 

 

   “ When I came back to the town, I was so happy to see all my friends again. Especially Jonghyun. But in school, which was now middle school, Jonghyun treated me coldly. The only best friend I had, the only brother I ever had... Treated me like a loser. He had a lot of friends in school, you see. He was popular. And he would make fun of me, picking on my glasses, my voice, my face, anything really.

 

 

   “It was so bad that I didn’t have any friends at all. I don’t understand why he did that till this day. He used to be so kind... He used to be such a good friend... Why... Why must he treat me so badly?” I felt my eyes water slightly.

 

  

   “When my mom left me alone to fend for myself, claiming that the loan sharks wouldn’t harm a child like me, I was really alone.

 

   “I tried asking Jong what happened, but I never had the chance to. My pillar of support became my enemy instead. I really don’t know why he changed so much. He still treats me badly, but it’s not as bad as before. Clara always defended me, thank goodness. No one messes with fiesty Clara, haha.”

 

 

   Seunghyun looked at me with an unreadable expression.

 

 

   “I know right.... I really don’t know what I did to deserve all this...” I said, with a sigh.

 

 

   “He’s a jerk!” Seunghyun said.

 

 

   “No, something bad must have happened. I just don’t know what it is. Maybe it’s all a big misunderstanding...”

 

 

   “What?! A misunderstanding?! Are you kidding me, Ji Eun?!” He said.

 

 

   “I...Don’t get me wrong, of course I hate him. I hate that stupid ignorant fool. That jerk. Stupid stupid stupid jerk.” I snarled, to which Seunghyun laughed.

 

 

   “You do know that you’re contradicting yourself right? Anyway, don’t miss a cousin like him. He . That betrayer should just eat .” He said, and I glared at him.

 

 

   “Still... Argh. I don’t know. He’s my cousin... My oppa...” I said, looking down at my hands, only to realize I've been fiddling with them the whole time.

 

 

   “Well, I’ll be your Oppa!” He said.

 

 

   What? I blinked confusedly at him. Did I hear that correctly?

 

 

   “You don’t need such a y oppa. If you need an oppa that badly, I’ll be your Oppa! 'Seunghyunnie Oppa!' ” Seunghyun declared.

 

 

   I smiled. A  feeling of warmth surged through my body. I’ve always wanted an older brother.

 

 

   “From now on, call me Seunghyun Oppa! Or Seunghyunnie Oppa!” He said. I felt my smile falter.

 

 

 

 

    "Alright! 'Hyunnie Oppa'..." I said, and my voice trailed off. My lip quivered slightly when I realized what I just said. It just came out so naturally that I couldn't help myself, even if it was what I used to call Jonghyun...

 

 

 

   " 'Hyunnie Oppa'? Alright that sounds good too. From now on, you are my dongsaeng then!" Seunghyun announced proudly, grinning widely.

 

 

   I smiled as well, being lost in his brown eyes for a moment there... No matter how many times I looked at him, it was impossible to not see TOP’s face in him.

 

 

   No, stop it. He isn’t TOP.

 

 

   I brought myself back to reality. It actually felt good to let out everything that had been building up inside my chest about Jonghyun Oppa. Seunghyun Oppa huh....

 

   Who would have guessed. Maybe Plushie Boy isn’t that bad after all.