But I Have To Let You Go

Unspoken Words

Gyu Ri’s POV

“You can’t do this to me! You can’t force me to marry someone whom I don’t love!”

“Our decision is final Gyu Ri. No more arguments,” appa insisted.

“You can’t...Because I already have someone else,” I said quickly.

He raised an eyebrow at me.

“You’ve never said anything about it. Who is he?”

“I’ll bring him to meet you tomorrow,” I suggested.

“Alright. I’ll give him a chance. Invite him tomorrow to our annual party. Who knows, I might like him instead,” appa relented.

In the back of my mind, I knew my efforts would be in vain.

Hong Ki was far from appa’s expectations.

But I refused to give up without trying.

 

Jong Hyun’s POV

Tonight was the night; Mr Park was going to announce my engagement to Gyu Ri in front of everyone.

I knew well enough that Gyu Ri won’t go against her father’s wishes. That means, I have another chance to be with her once again.

And this time I was not going to be a fool and repeat the same mistake.

Just as I was about to take a sip of my drink, I saw Gyu Ri coming through the door looking radiantly beautiful with her white flowing dress.

I stared at her in awe as I watch her made her way inside; earning glances from the male guests.

I placed my drink down on the table and was about to get near her when I saw a guy coming close from behind her.

Correction; they were holding hands.

I balled up my fists in jealousy. What was he thinking, being so close to my soon-to-be fiancée?

But, he seems familiar.

As I racked my brain trying to remember when I had seen him, Gyu Ri appeared in front of me.

“Jong Hyun,” she said coolly. “Nice to see you here.”

“I wouldn’t miss this. You know tonight is very important,” I told her pointedly.

“It is?” she feigned ignorance. “Oh, let me introduce you; this is my boyfriend, Lee Hong Ki.”

My mouth hung open slightly as she said the word ‘boyfriend’. What was happening?

Only when he stepped in front of Gyu Ri, did I notice he wasn’t much taller than I am. Good, I didn’t feel threatened.

“Annyeong,” he greeted me cheerfully. “Hong Ki.”

Not left with much choice, I held out my hand to shake his.

“I’m Jong Hyun. I’ve never seen you around. You’ve been to these kinds of parties before?”

“Anyo,” he replied down to earthly. “It’s my first time.”

Damn. There was something about this guy that makes it impossible for me to hate him.

“Oh, who do we have here?”

All three of turned to the source of the voice and found Gyu Ri’s parents standing there.

“Appa, this is Hong Ki. The one whom I told you about,” Gyu Ri didn’t waste any time introducing him.

I saw a hint of disapproving look in Mr Park’s eyes. He didn’t like what he’s seeing.

I felt the corner of my mouth turning up into a smirk.

“Annyeong haseyo,” he bowed down. “I’m Lee Hong Ki. Thank you for having me here.”

Mr Park didn’t reply him but turn to his wife instead.

“I think it’s time now.”

I saw Gyu Ri’s eyes flashed anxiously. She knows it too.

“Appa, what are you going to do?”

But her question was left unanswered.

Hong Ki’s POV

He doesn’t like me.

I don’t have any other choice.

I looked sadly at Gyu Ri who was biting on her fingernails nervously.

The three of us knew, what was going to come out from her father’s mouth in the next few seconds.

“As you all know, we are all gathered here today for a very important announcement that I have to make. But first, can I have my daughter, Gyu Ri and the young lad that I have much respect for, Jong Hyun to come up here please?”

She glanced back hesitantly at me.

“Go ahead,” I managed a weak smile at her. I gave her hand a gentle squeeze. “I’ll be fine.”

Jong Hyun came in between us and slung his arm with hers.

“It’s not nice to make people wait,” he said as he pulled Gyu Ri away from me.

I watched them silently as they made their way up the stage. I know there was no use in me staying there anymore but I couldn’t bring myself to budge away.

I had to be there, just in case Gyu Ri still needed me.

The next few words knocked the air out of me.

“We’re pleased to announce that Gyu Ri and Jong Hyun are getting married soon. This party, will be their engagement party too. Thus Jong Hyun will present the ring to Gyu Ri now.”

I couldn’t tear my eyes away as I watched him knelt down in front of her, his hand held up high to place the ring on her delicate finger.

And of course, it fitted her perfectly.

It was such a beautiful ring, I could tell that even from where I was standing.

Something which I couldn’t afford to buy for her.

I hate to let her go, that’s what my heart says.

But I have to let her go. 

 

Note; Comments please guys? :))