Let's Never Say Goodbye

Unspoken Words

Gyu Ri’s POV

I felt him grabbing hold of my hand from behind. I tried to yank it away but he held on firmly. I gave up. It was clear he wasn’t going to let me get away without any explanation.

 But I wasn’t going to turn around and let him see the tears which had already formed in my eyes. I couldn’t let him know I was still hurting inside. He’s done so much to make me smile again; it’s unfair to make him worry about me.

I could feel his hot breath down my neck as he took a step closer to me.

“Running away won’t solve anything,” he said quietly.

I shook my head slightly, unable to say anything.

“You know you can tell me anything,” he continued as he rested his chin on my shoulder.

How does he still manage to sound so calm when I’m on the verge of breaking apart inside?

“You know...you know who he is?” I asked, my voice already starting to crack.

He took a second before answering.

“Who else can make you run away from me?”

It was all I needed to hear as the tears came flowing down.

He turned me around by the shoulders and wrapped his arms around my waist. I buried my face into his chest.

“I’m sorry,” I said through a muffled voice. “I never thought I would see him again. I thought I was strong enough to overcome this.”

He lifted my chin up until I was looking into his eyes. There wasn’t any trace of anger on Hong Ki’s face. Instead, he gave me a comforting smile.

“You are a very strong girl. You just need to keep telling yourself that,” he said as he pinched my nose playfully.

“How can you have so much confidence in me when I don’t even believe in myself?”

“You wouldn’t have come this far if you hadn’t got back on your own two feet. And you just have to continue what you’ve been doing now. I have faith in you.”

I laid my head against his chest; the tears already stopped flowing now. Hong Ki’s encouraging words were the ones who have helped me all these while.

“I don’t know what I would ever do without you.”

 

Jong Hyun’s POV

I stood nervously outside of Gyu Ri’s family home. The whole place is already big; not coming here for such a long time really makes me nervous. What would she say when I suddenly show up at her house? Would she chase me away? Or refuse to see me?

I reached up my hand to press the buzzer.

I saw the butler coming out to open up the gate.

“Mr Kim,” he greeted me. “I haven’t seen you for quite some time.”

Nay. I’ve been busy with some things,” I lied.

“Do come in. They are all inside.”

“Kamsahamnida,” I said as I stepped inside.

I followed suit as he led me into the house. Though I had been here quite a number of times, this place still amazes me. Gyu Ri was a lucky girl, being a daughter of such a rich family.

I was asked to wait in the living room as he went ahead to inform the family about my presence. I nodded and sat down on the large sofa. I took a look around; nothing much seemed to have changed since my last visit.

Just then, I heard footsteps coming down the hallway. I stood up quickly and straightened down my shirt.

“Jong Hyun!” Mr Park came forward and shook my hand. “Where have you been?”

Nay Jong Hyun. You haven’t come to visit us for some time,” Mrs Park pulled me into a hug.

I smiled sheepishly.

“I’m really sorry for my long absence. I’ve been busy with some things. How have you been?”

“We’ve been really good. Business is doing well too. Though I hope to do another project with your family soon.”

“Oh yes. Appa mentioned something about it too. I’ll ask him to give you a call.”

“Jong Hyun, did something happen between you and Gyu Ri? I tried asking her, but she wouldn’t tell me anything,” Mrs Park looked questioningly at me.

 So she didn’t tell her family anything. That is why they are treating me like a long lost son instead of throwing out the jerk who had broken their daughter’s heart.

“Just some misunderstandings. Speaking of which, is Gyu Ri in? I’d really like to see her.”

“She had gone out for awhile. She’ll probably...Oh, there she is. Gyu Ri? Can you come here for a while sweetheart?”

“What is it umma?” she asked in a tired voice as she did as she was told.

“See who had come today,” she gave Gyu Ri a wide smile as she motioned towards me. Only then did Gyu Ri realise my presence there and her face fell.

“What are you doing here?” she asked in an irritated tone.

“Gyu Ri! What kind of question is that? Jong Hyun is here to see you of course.”

“It’s okay. He can go back. I don’t want to see him.”

And with that, she her heels and stormed away. I couldn’t blame her for still holding a grudge on me.

“I’m sorry Jong Hyun. She must have had a long day,” Mrs Park apologised.

“It’s okay. But can I just see her for awhile? I need to tell her something.”

“Sure you can. Just go up to her room.”

“Thanks,” I bowed slightly before heading for Gyu Ri’s room. It was time to set things straight between us.

 

“Please. I just need one more chance from you. I promise you, I won’t hurt you anymore.”

“You’re already hurting me by coming here. So can you please just go home now and leave me alone?”

I stood there in her room, a few feet away from her as I stared at her angry face. She was looking more beautiful than ever and it made me wished I hadn’t wasted the chance I had with her.

Ever since Gyu Ri left, I haven’t been able to do anything right. All I can think about is her; she occupied my thoughts day and night. I couldn’t find anyone else who can come close to replace her. There was something about her, which cures my fear of commitment.

“I’ll do anything you ask me to, just as long as you forgive me,” I begged her as I went down on my knees. I wasn’t used to begging for anything, but I’d do anything now to prove my sincerity.

“Don’t think by doing that it would change anything!” her eyes flashed as she turned to look at me.

“You should just give up now Jong Hyun. Whatever feelings I had for you is long gone, since the day you gambled away my love. Go find someone else, who plays the same game as you.”

Her harsh words hit me hard like a rock. She really hates me; she can’t even look at me in the eye anymore. I stood up slowly and looked at her dejectedly.

“You really can’t forgive me?”

“I forgive you. But I can’t accept you back,” she said coolly.

I took one last look at her before making my way out slowly.

Curse me, for letting go.

“Jong Hyun? Can I talk to you for a minute?” I heard her father calling me from the living room.

“Nay?”

He studied me carefully.

“Do you still love Gyu Ri?”

“Why did you ask me that?”

“What if we arranged for you and Gyu Ri to get married soon?”