I Believe, It Was Simply Only Me

Unspoken Words

 

Jong Hun’s POV

“No. You can’t press it too hard. Come, let me show you.”

I placed my hands on top of Hara’s and guide her long fingers along the piano keys. She seems hesitant at first; probably afraid of making an awful sound but I gave her an encouraging smile.

“I was like you too, when I first started playing the piano. You’ll get the hang of it eventually.”

“I prefer you playing it for me,” she smiled innocently at me.

“Ah yes. Lazy aren’t you? Anyway, is Min Ho coming over today?”

 “I tried calling him a few times. But he didn’t pick up. He’s probably busy with something else,” she pouted.

“Are you guys like dating now?” I asked her, carefully avoiding her gaze.

It was a casual question but the truth was there was more to it. I could tell something was up with them, but the real question was; do I really want to know?

“Yah Jong Hun, why are you suddenly asking me this?” Hara asked me back as she slid off the piano seat.

She walked over towards the sofa in my living room and settled herself down.

From the way she was rubbing her forehead tiredly, I know that something was bothering her. Did I say anything wrong?

“I don’t know,” I shrugged. “I heard you guys went out without me the other day. Right?”

“I didn’t know anything about that. I thought he had asked you along but then he said you were busy or something.”

I took a cloth and started to wipe my piano set distractedly, with my back facing her.

“I wasn’t you know. I was lazing around at home the whole day.”

“What are you trying to say?” Hara asked her voice slightly raised now. “Look, I’m sorry that we went out without you. But I knew nothing about it okay? Min Ho planned the whole thing. And we only went out for awhile.”

“Can’t you see it then? Can’t you see what Min Ho is planning?” I shot back, gripping the edge of the piano to hold back my rage.

Hara knows. She’s smart enough to figure out what was happening. And knowing Min Ho, he’d have said something to her; in order to be ahead of this ‘race.’

“Jong Hun,” she called out exasperatedly. “I really don’t know what is going on between the two of you but please don’t drag me into the middle and force me to take sides okay? Both of you are my good friends and I love you guys. So, don’t do this to me.”

Everything revolves around you Hara. You’re already in the middle of this thing, even if you don’t realise it.

“Can’t you feel that everything’s changed Hara?”I asked her softly, stealing a glance.

She has this confused expression on her face, like she’s already figured it out but just refused to believe it. She chewed on her fingernails as she stared ahead at the television in front of her.

She’s nervous. She’s afraid of what’s going to happen to the three of us now.

Like I am now. I’m probably even more nervous than she is. This is a losing battle for me. There’s no way, I’d win this. He’s just better than me in every way.

He knows the sweet words that she wanted to hear.

He knows the romantic ways to make her heart tingle with excitement.

Hara would be safely protected in his strong muscular arms.

But I love her too, more than he ever could.

I’m not good with words but I’d play beautiful soothing piano pieces of her, to make her trouble seems far away.

I’ll do anything in my capability to make her smile every second she is with me.

And, I’ll guard her life; just like my own.

“I should probably get going now. I’ll see you tomorrow in school okay?”

She didn’t wait for my acknowledgement and let herself out of the door. Being in the same room as me was suffocating enough already. How can I get her to stay by my side?

But, Min Ho has the upper hand in this one.

Hara has always been closer to him, that’s what I’ve noticed.

And she could deny it all she wants, but I know she has already started to develop feelings for him.

Her innocent eyes, they can’t lie.