I Can't Hold You In My Arms Anymore

Unspoken Words

He stared at her open-mouthed, not believing what he was hearing.

“What...what did you ask me?” Jin Ki asked slowly.

“Who are you?” Seung Yeon repeated her question, without any trace of recognition on her face.

“Seung Yeon...It’s me. Jin Ki. Don’t you remember me?”

“Jin Ki? I’m sorry. Am I supposed to know you?”

He turned towards her mother who was looking intently at her daughter.

“Mrs Han, what happened?”

“You might want to take a seat. Seung Yeon, it’s okay. You can go back and rest in your room.”

She took one last cautious look at him before retreating back towards her room.

She’s afraid of him. She has never been afraid of him.

“I know I should have told you about this earlier. Actually Jin Ki, right after you left for the States when Seung Yeon was on the way home from sending you at the airport, she was involved in an accident.”

“What? Why didn’t you tell me? I could’ve got back home earlier.”

“I’m really sorry. I wanted to but I didn’t want it to affect your studies. It wouldn’t be fair on you, or your family.”

“But why...why doesn’t she remember me?” he asked in a hoarse voice.

He was so disappointed. The woman he loved, whom he had come back for; thinks of him as a stranger now.

“The accident left such a big impact on her that resulted in her losing her memory. That explains why she couldn’t remember you. It wasn’t intentional.”

“Lost her memory? Is it...permanent?”

“The doctor said it isn’t and that she will regain it back but it will take quite some time. She’s made some recovery these past 3 years. But perhaps it’s because you’ve been gone for a long period of time; she might need time to remember you.”

“I did this to her. I did, it’s all my fault,” Jin Ki said regretfully. “If I hadn’t left, she wouldn’t have been driving there, she wouldn’t have gotten into that accident...”

Mrs Han placed her hand on top of his and gave him a kind smile.

“Don’t blame yourself Jin Ki. It wasn’t your fault, nobody wanted it to happen. And Seung Yeon is doing well now.”

“Can I go in to see her for awhile?”

“Alright. But don’t put too much pressure on her.”

He stood up and made his way towards her room slowly. Many thoughts were running through his mind. How should he do this? What is going to be Seung Yeon’s reaction? What if she refuses to remember him at all?

 

Jin Ki’s POV

I took a deep breath as I raised my hand to knock on her door. She opened it up almost immediately, like she had been eavesdropping on our conversation.

“Hey,” I gave her a tight smile. “Can I come in for awhile?”

She peered at me curiously.

“Sure,” she said after a moment. “Come on in.”

I stepped inside and took a look around her simple decorated room. Her bed was neatly done and her books were organised properly on her table. There were a few pictures of her family hung on the wall and a couple of pictures on the table. Pictures of her and a guy.

I in my breath, wondering who could he be. They didn’t strike to me as a couple, but they seemed to be very close.

“So, what can I do for you?”

I turned towards the sound of her soft voice; just realising how much I have missed hearing it.

“Seung Yeon-ah,” I gave her a warm smile. “Look at my face carefully. Does it seem familiar to you?”

She narrowed her eyes and studied me carefully. She really was trying hard.

But to my disappointment, she shook her head.

“I’m sorry. I really don’t. Were we in the same high school?”

“Nay. Same school, same class; we practically did everything together,” I said softly. “Those times were the best moments of my life.”

“How come I’ve never met you before this? After the accident I meant. If we were really close, you would’ve visited me right?” she looked at me accusingly.

I held back a chuckle.

“I would have, if I wasn’t in another country then. And if I had known this would happen, I wouldn’t have left,” I muttered under my breath.

She was about to say something else but then we heard the front door opened and the sound of Mrs Han greeting someone.

Immediately, her whole face lit up and she hurried out of the room; leaving me alone.

So she already knows who it is?

I followed her from behind; curious to see who it was to get her so excited.

 

Seung Yeon’s POV

“Min Hwan!” I greeted him happily and threw my arms around him.

“Hey you. Miss me that much?” he asked, returning my hug. “I’ve just been here the other day.”

I blushed deeply at his casual remark. It was true; I was excited to see him again even though he had just been here a few days before.

“Anyo. I’m just bored I don’t have anyone to bully when you’re not here.”

“Yeah right,” he ruffled my hair. “You’re bored at home aren’t you? Shall we go out?”

“Yes! Yes please. Can we go to the beach? It’s been quite some time since we last went there.”

“Sure. Anything you want. But shouldn’t you ask your umma first?” he asked, shooting a look at my mother.

“Umma,” I tugged at her hand. “I can go right? Min Hwan will take care of me.”

“I don’t mind Seung Yeon but...” she glanced at someone behind me. “What about Jin Ki?”

I’ve almost forgotten about him if umma hadn’t reminded me. The mysterious guy, who had suddenly appeared and asking if I remembered him.

I’ve tried really hard, my mind scrambling trying to find any pieces of him in my memory but nothing came up.

“Oh,” I turned towards him. “Do you want to follow us?”

I didn’t want to appear rude so I asked him along but secretly I was hoping he would decline.

“It’s okay,” he smiled. “I was just about to go home anyway. I’ll see you another time.”

He looked at me almost wistfully and then glancing curiously at Min Hwan before making his way out.

I felt this nagging feeling inside of me. Why do I feel like I really needed to know who Jin Ki was?