Without You I Can't Go On

Unspoken Words

 

Jin Ki’s POV

3 years later

I clutched the present tightly in my hands as I made my way towards Seung Yeon’s house. I hope she hasn’t changed her address or anything. My heart was racing with each step that I took. It’s been 3 years long since we last met each other. I didn’t tell her about my return as I wanted to surprise her.

I’ve missed her so much and couldn’t wait to pull her into my embrace. I would hug her tightly and never let go; though that wasn’t possible.

I took in a deep breath before pressing the doorbell to her house.

A few seconds later, the door flew open and I saw Seung Yeon’s umma standing in front of me. But the moment she saw me, the smile froze on her face.

I felt uneasy all of a sudden. Something about the look on her face set off the alarm in my head but I appeared nonchalant about it.

“Annyeong! You still remember me, don’t you?” I asked her cheerfully.

“Jin Ki,” she said slowly. “Of course, why wouldn’t I remember you?”

It wasn’t supposed to be a serious question but something doesn’t seem right by the way she said it.

Nay. Is Seung Yeon in? I really want to see her.”

“Um yes, she is. Come on in.”

I followed her as she led me inside her house into the living room.

“Wait here while I get you a drink okay?”

Before I had the chance to decline, she had already disappeared into the kitchen.

I took a look around the house. Nothing much seemed to change. Though there were new pictures of the family. Seung Yeon has cut her hair, I realised.

She looks more beautiful now, I thought to myself.

But where was she? I didn’t see her from just now.

Her umma came back a few minutes later with my drink. She set it down for me on the table.

“Kamsahamnida,” I thanked her.

She smiled kindly at me.

“So when did you come back Jin Ki?”

“Oh, yesterday morning. I purposely didn’t tell Seung Yeon. I wanted to surprise her. Where is she?” I didn’t mean to sound rude but I really couldn’t wait to see her.

“Jin Ki-ah, there’s something you should know...”

I looked questioningly at her.

“What is it?” I asked, slightly worried now. Did something happen to Seung Yeon while I was away?

“Actually right after you left, Seung Yeon...”

“What? What is it?” I asked urgently. I really didn’t feel good about the whole thing now. Something was wrong.

But before she had the chance to tell me anything, I heard somebody coming out from the room.

“Umma? Who is it?”

I turned around and came face to face with Seung Yeon herself.

She was standing there by her bedroom door, taking tentative steps towards me. She was looking more beautiful than ever, just like how I’ve always remembered her; except for that uncertain look on her face.

Wait. Why does she seem like she was afraid of me? It was like she didn’t recognise me.

“Seung Yeon,” I called out to her and gave her a huge smile. “How have you been?”

I could understand if she said, I’m not feeling well or I’m really tired. I would have liked it if she said, I’m fine now that you’re here.

But I certainly didn’t expect the next few words to come out from .

“Who are you?”