She Has Higher Standard Than She Seems

Unspoken Words

 

Seung Hyun’s POV

“Ji Young? Kang Ji Young? Song Seung Hyun, how do you know her?” Ki Bum shrieked.

“Shh!” I covered his mouth and looked around at the people who were passing by us. “Why do you always need to make a big deal out of everything?”

“I’m just surprised! You’ve never talked about her before,” he lowered down his voice.

“How could I when I’ve just realised her existence the other day? So, you know her?”

Nay. She’s our friend. Nicole and me I meant. Why are you suddenly interested in her anyway?” Key started to get into his curious mode.

“She’s cute,” I gave him a crooked grin. “And she seems interesting.”

“Don’t you start to get any ideas!” Ki Bum glared at me.

“Okay, relax. Don’t worry. I don’t mean any harm. I just want to get to know her. You can help me right?”

“Why should I help you?”

“Because you love me even though you act like you hate me every single time we meet.”

That earned me a smack on my head.

“Fine. We’re throwing her a birthday party tomorrow. You can come along if you want.”

“It’s her birthday tomorrow? Well, thanks for telling me now,” I rolled my eyes.

“You’ve just told me about her now! How was I supposed to know?”

“Got to go now. See you tomorrow! And thanks,” I winked.

I have to get her the perfect present. First impression matters a lot.

 

Girls like chocolates right? But then, some of them might worry about gaining weight.

I continued walking down the aisle for the right present. Nothing seemed to catch my eye.

Jewellery?

No. It’ll be weird to get a necklace or a ring from a guy you’ve just known.

Just then I saw something from the corner of my eye.

Bear! Of course. Girls usually like cute stuffed toys. If she doesn’t want it, I can cuddle it myself to sleep at night. Bingo!

I started to reach for the cute white bear which was placed on top of the shelf neatly.

At the same time, another hand shot up to reach for it too.

Both of us pulled away at the same time.

I turned to my right and saw a brown wavy haired guy standing beside me.

“Um, do you want it too?” I asked.

“Yes. It’s a pity there’s only one left,” he smiled as he scratched his head.

I was taller than him by a few good inches. Maybe I can snatch it and run away before he had the chance to catch me?

“It’s okay. You can have it,” I told him.

And anyway, he was probably younger than me; with that baby face of his. I had to set a good example right?

“Are you going to buy it for someone special?” he asked me suddenly.

Wae? Can’t a big guy like me buy it for myself?” I joked.

“Oh no,” he started waving his hands in dismissal. “You totally can. I was just wondering.”

I laughed at his reaction.

“You’re right. I’m buying it for someone else. It’s her birthday tomorrow.”

“Really? Well, it’s my friend’s too. I was thinking of buying it for her. But it’s okay. I think I’m going to give her something else. You can have it.”

“Are you serious?” When he nodded, I took the bear down from the shelf. “Well, okay then. Thanks by the way. I hope you get whatever you want to give her,” I gave him a friendly smile.

I headed towards the counter to pay for my purchase. Not forgetting, a small card to write something for her too.

 

Tae Min’s POV

My eyes followed him as he walked towards the counter.

I think I’ve seen him around before. But I can’t seem to put my mind to it.

He turned to wave at me before walking out.

Oh yes. Now I remember. He was the guy who had returned the pen to Ji Young the other day.

The one whom I had seen smiling differently at her.

He said it was his friend’s birthday tomorrow.

But then, what are the odds he knows that it was Ji Young’s birthday tomorrow too?

It couldn’t be too much of a coincidence.

Can it?

 

Seung Hyun’s POV

“Happy Birthday!”

She looked up at me in surprise.

“Thank you! But, how did you know...?”

Just then I saw Ki Bum and Nicole approaching her from behind.

“Yah Ji Young. He’s our friend. He said he knows you too. So that’s why I invited him. You don’t mind, do you?” Ki Bum asked.

“Oh no. Of course I don’t mind. Come on in,” she smiled warmly at me.

I handed over the neatly wrapped present.

“This is for you.”

“Thanks. You shouldn’t have,” she said as she took it from me.

“What? Coming to a birthday party empty handed? Never heard of it. But you know,” I leaned in to whisper into her ear. “Whatever’s in there, I’m cuter.”

She glanced down at my present and laughed.

“How sure are you?”

“I bought it right? So I know better than to pick out something which is better looking than me,” I winked at her.

She shook her head and continued laughing.

“Right. I can’t wait to open it and see for myself.”

“Oh. I think I haven’t formally introduce myself right? I’m Seung Hyun,” I held out my hand.

“Nice to meet you Seung Hyun. I’m Ji Young,” she said as she took my hand.

I didn’t let go of it immediately and held on to it.

“So Ji Young, how old are you today?”

“I’ve just turned 17. Do you want me to call you oppa?”

“Oh please don’t. It makes me feel old and I’d prefer it if we drop all the formalities.”

“Yah Seung Hyun,” I heard Ki Bum calling out. “Are you going to stand there holding hands all night or are you going to come and join us here?”

Immediately, she pulled her hand away in embarrassment.

I smiled innocently at her.

“Key’s such a nag isn’t he? Come on, I can have the honour of eating with the birthday girl right?”

She smiled shyly at me.

“Sure. Let’s go.”

 

Tae Min’s POV

I stood there by the door, with the present clutched tightly in my hands. I had finally gotten the perfect present for her; the book which Ji Young had always wanted.

But now, seeing how happy she looked talking to that guy, the way she blushed whenever he smiles at her; makes me feel sick suddenly.

I dumped the book on the table, with the rest of the presents and made my way out of the door.

I should just give up now.