Gone

Angel

Hyuk has tried to refuse. He told the angel that he doesn't want to be brought back to life if it means that he's going to 'kill' N in the process. He really tried saying no but the angel said that he have no choice. That the deal has been made and the payment will be made once Hyuk's soul is returned to his vessel. 

"You'll get to see him one last time. "The angel tells him, as if trying to coax his feelings but it did nothing. Hyuk just feels even more miserable instead. 

"Please... "Hyuk begged once more. "Please don't let Hakyeon-hyung do this. "He says. "My other hyungs... they need him. They rely on him. He can't... go. How are they going to survive without him? They can live without me, but not without him. "He tries to explain. 

"There's nothing I can do. " the angel seems apologetic. "Please close your eyes. I need to send you back now."

"No! I don't want to! "Hyuk refuses but the angel gives him no chance to resist as he places his palm over Hyuk's eyes, blocking his sight. 

"When your time come once again, I promise I'll be the one who comes to take you to heaven and I promise I'll keep this face when I do. So, don't worry, as you already have a place here, in heaven. "The angel says and soon enough, Hyuk can feel his consciousness slipping away. 

 

 

The next time he opened his eyes, Hyuk is greeted by the sight that makes his heart clench painfully; the sight of a smiling leader, no, smiling angel who soon will vanish because of him. 

"Hyukie! "N's voice breaches into his ears and Hyuk squeezes his eyes shut at that, wondering how could N sound so cheerful when he knows what's going to happen very soon. "Hyukie? "

Hyuk swallows heavily. "Hyung... why did you do it? "he asks, voice dripping in misery and regret. "Why--"

N strides over to where Hyuk is seated before pulling the maknae into a very tight hug. "I miss you. "He says, purposely not answering the previous question. 

Hearing that, tears fell from Hyuk's eyes without him realising it. He can't imagine how he's going to continue living knowing that his hyung gave away his life for him. "Hyung, why? "He demands. 

N buries his face deeper into Hyuk's neck. "We still need you, Hyuk-ah. "He says. "Your hyungs still need you. "

Hyuk sobs. "No, hyung. It's you they need most, not me. "He denies. "How can you do this to them? To me? I'm going to live in guilt because of this, do you realise that hyung? "He's angry and upset at N for being so selfish and yet selfless at the same time. "Please just let me go, hyung. "He begs. "I was fine and I don't need you to make such sacrifice for me. They still need you, hyung. "

N slowly let go of the hug. "I know you were happy up there. "He says. "So I'm sorry for taking you back here. "He apologizes. "I'm selfish, I know. But I can't just stand back and watch your hyungs drown in misery. They need you. They're not yet ready to let you go. "

"But--"

"Listen to me, Sanghyuk. "N orders, cupping Hyuk's face with both his hands, forcing the maknae to look straight at him. "I did this on my own will. No one forced me to. "He says. "So you have no reason to feel guilty as it's not your fault. It's no one's fault. "

Hyuk drop his head, trying his best to absorb N's words but it's hard. To convince himself that it's not his fault that N's going to perish is hard--no, impossible. "Hyung, how can we go on with you? "He asks finally. "You're our strength, hyung. Without you, we'll be helpless and we'll be no better than dead. "

Upon hearing those words, N grabs both of Hyuk's hands and squeezes them. "Hyuk-ah... do you trust me? "He asks and the maknae nods weakly. "Do you have faith in me? Do you believe me? "He prompts even more. 

"Of course I do, hyung. "Hyuk answers silently .

"If you really trust me, if you really have faith in me, if you really believe me, then you have to hold on to my words. Okay? "

Somehow, Hyuk feels dread engulfing him. He can sense it; the moment. The moment where N is going to leave them forever; is near. "Hyung... "

"You will be fine. All of you will be fine. "N's voice finally breaks, the cheerfulness he had earlier disappeared while his sadness and fear replaced it. "You have each other so you'll be fine. You have to keep going, you can never ever stop. Don't let anything break you. You're strong, you have to be strong. "He says. 

Hyuk couldn't find any words to say. He could just stare at N's face, which is getting paler by the seconds and the shining tears covering N's clear eyes. 

"Promise me, Hyuk? Promise me that you'll keep going and that you'll be strong, so that you can defend yourself and your hyungs? "N pleads, squeezing Hyuk's hands even tighter. 

"I promise. "Hyuk doesn't know why he said it but he realise that he can't stop this. He can't stop N from perishing so he might as well make him happy while he can. "I'll keep going and I'll be strong . "

N smiles. "Thank you, Hyuk."he whispers. "Take care of yourself, okay? And your hyungs too. "He reminds. 

"I will, hyung. "Hyuk promises, blinking to get rid of his tears but when he opens his eyes once more, N is gone. His leader, his hyung, his guardian angel, is gone, just like that.