Bedtime Stories

Midnight

GD kept an annoyingly close eye on you and he seemed to be everywhere. He would appear out of nowhere and shock you till you were sure you were about to have a heart attack, or the most annoying, appear and distract you from seeing Taeyang.

“I know you don’t like the guy, but can you at least be a little more subtle about it,” you hissed at him, as you both scanned for books to complete your essays on in the Library. GD grinned.

“Asking me to be subtle is like asking me not to talk. It’s impossible.”

You snorted. “Oh my, well we can’t let that happen now can we? The results may be disastrous,” you joked earning a frown from him.

GD tried his best to keep his cool, but the more you talked about Taeyang the more he wanted to hunt the bastard and kill him with his bare hands. He could hear Remi’s scolding voice in his ear, telling him to be reasonable and patient. Besides, if he attacked Taeyang suddenly it would be hypocritical since he had told Remi to wait the night they left your house.

“It would be wouldn’t it? Think about how much you would miss hearing my voice?” GD nudged you with his arm.

You pursed your lips slightly at him, his voice didn’t sound right. The usual humour and sarcasm didn’t flow as easily as it used too, it seemed forced and unnatural. However you brushed it off your mind, convincing yourself that you were imagining things and thinking too much.

You giggled. “I think you would be the only one who would miss your voice,” you said emphasising certain words. GD lifted a large book ready to bring it down and hit your arm, but the angry librarian glared at him from the end of the aisle.

“Sorry, I was stretching,” GD apologised lamely, setting the book back down his side. With a huff and a swish of her shawl she walked off, continuing to observe the students who might be disobeying her library rules.

“And you say I’m a bad liar,” you said shaking your head at him. GD followed you out of the aisle and into the long hallway that had long dark wooden oak tables in the middle for students to study.

Much to your irritation, as you sat down so did GD. This was so stupid and annoying! He didn’t even have a book.

Sighing, you turned to face him.

“Are you going to leave me alone now?”

GD blinked acting completely clueless.

“What do you mean?” he asked. Then smiled. “Do I need to have a reason to spend quality time with my amazing cousin?”

If the sarcasm in his voice wasn’t so heavy, you would have been touched but unfortunately he was being sarcastic which made your mood even sourer

“Yes, you need a reason. You have never spent this much time aroung me at all, and to tell you the truth it’s kind of creepy,” you admitted with a glare.

GD pulled his jacket hood up and shrugged.

“Well, there is no reason. I just want to hang around you for a change, see what it’s like to be ~~~~~ ah. It can be like those ‘A day in a life of…’ things you see on TV, besides you’re with good company so you shouldn’t complain.”

You wanted to scream.

“If your company is ‘good’, I dread to think what amazing company is,” you teased.

Then you rethought your sentence…Taeyang was amazing company, there was something about him so feral and dangerous and yet whenever he was around you he was gentle, sweet, kind and funny. On top of that he had an exquisite body and face, no woman could have asked for a better guy to be in their life. Taeyang was everything you desired in a guy and more, and every time you thought about him it made it harder for you to control your need to kiss him passionately.

GD clicked his tongue and gave you a droll look.

“Since when did you get so sarcastic?”

You smirked. “I guess my so called 'good company' is wearing off on me,” you joked then immediately snapped your head down as the librarian scoped the hallway, making sure everyone was silent and working diligently as the library rules state.

You looked at your cousin who looked so out of place it was laughable. As smart as GD was, he didn’t look it at all. He looked like the type who lazed around in class and was content with an E or a fail in class. And here in the library, GD stood out more than ever.

GD winked. “So anyway, about tonight. How about I invite Remi over to mine, and you can sleep over. Just the three of us? What do you say?”

You tried to conceal your horror at his suggestion. As much as you loved your cousin and his girlfriend who also happened to be your best friend, there was no you would do it. They would no doubt be together all night and doing couple things and the horrible thought of you being the third party was worth crying over.

You swallowed and tired to phrase your answer as kindly as possible.

“I would love to, but I have an essay to finish,” you said pointing to the book and the pad in front of you. GD didn’t look convinced; he kept on persuading and talking to you. His voice getting louder and louder and much more distracting and disturbing…

“Argh-umm…” someone cleared their throat behind him. GD slowly turned around to find the short stumpy librarian glaring up at him, her round spectacles framed her beady eyes and her perfume stung his nose.

“Sorry, I was just talking to my cousin.”

The librarian looked so incredibly angry but so ludicrously funny you had this insane urge to laugh at her hands on her hips, and the one eyebrow arched above her eyebrow. Seriously, the woman should think about joining variety shows with those facial expressions. It was a wonder you didn’t burst into laughter, you bit down on your pen to keep it that way.

“Are you blind child? Or are you simply just slow minded?” the librarian asked GD in a high voice,  her entire body shaking with anger at how he had disturbed the peace and quiet in her library.

GD looked dumbstruck; he had never felt more amused and insulted in his entire life.

“Urm…I don’t think so,” he replied slowly, not sure where this conversation was heading.

The librarian pushed her glasses up her nose.

“Lying isn’t going to help you, you have disrupted the silence in this library and for that you are going to be punished!” the librarian shrieked, her cheeks red. Everyone looked up from their work, heads poked around the aisles to see what was happening.

It took all your strength not to laugh, GD was speechless. Wow, that was the first. You wanted to thank the librarian but you were too afraid she’d snap at you so you kept quiet and watched with amused eyes as your cousin was ridiculed by the university librarian!

“Leave,” the librarian huffed.

“E-Excuse me?” GD stuttered, as if he couldn’t believe what he was hearing. Your stomach hurt from your silent laughter.

“You are banned for two weeks, now out!” the librarian ushered him out with forceful hands. GD looked back at you, his eyes begging you to help him but you sat there grinning and waving at him.

Once he was gone you grabbed your bag and headed down an aisle, finally free of his presence. Just as you were about to put the book back, you saw Taeyang. In the dim lights of the library he looked more scrumptious than ever, and damn that guy had the best back side you had ever laid eyes on. Seriously, no guy should be that tempting.

“It’s rude to stare you know,” you heard him say quietly, the humour in his voice thick and evident. Smiling you walked to his side, his presence soothing a part of you that you didn’t even know hurt.

“I wasn’t staring, don’t flatter yourself,” you said as you stood on your toes and reached up to put the book back.

Taeyang laughed as he watched you struggle to put the book back, he didn’t say anything. As you stretched up, he could see the perfect curves of your body. Your skin looked incredibly soft and your hair cascading down your shoulders, how he wished he could run his hands through your hair as a man, with no past to interrupt.

You looked at him and his mind was entranced by your emerald green eyes. They were beguiling and simply charming, the perfect eyes set in a beautiful face he dreamed about at night. To have you in his arms and worry about nothing…he’d waited so long for a moment like that.

“Want some help?” he finally asked, you lowered yourself back down and handed him the book.

“I thought you would never ask.”

He grinned and put the back with an ease you envied, everything seemed so easy for him. And the more you spent time with him, the more you were attracted to him. God, you swear you could never tired of just staring at that handsome face.

“So should I ask what happened?” he asked suddenly, it took you some time before you understood what he meant.

“Oh you mean with GD? It’s nothing, he was just being well…GD,” you said with a roll of your eyes. “Actually I was wondering if you wanted to come with me to the book store in the main city? I have an essay to finish and I wanted to do it at home, so I was going to buy the book and…”

You were rambling, as in actually rambling! Why was it that every time you are around Taeyang your brain turns into jelly, allowing you to come out with the worst types of conversation ever.

Taeyang smiled down at you, he wasn’t used to having someone be so kind to him. To be honest, it was kind of unsettling but he was getting used to it, slowly anyway.

“~~~~~ ah,” he said your name mid way through your sentence, you immediately stopped talking and looked up at him through your long lashes. His voice was gentle, but there was no missing the commanding and authority in it.

“Yes?”

“I can come with you. Want to leave now?”

You laughed and nodded. “Yes, let’s.”

You led the way out of the library, all the while your senses were honed in on how close Taeyang was to you. One slight move of your hand and it would be clasped around his, you quivered at the thought.

Taeyang wanted to wince at his accepting your invitation; no matter what he did he couldn’t ignore you. He couldn’t disappoint you and that alone was weakness. He would definitely pay for this, he was just waiting for it to happen. He looked down at your smiling face and it pained him to his very soul, it hurt to know that someday your heart would be broken because of him.

I’m an for doing this to her, he thought, but he was too much of a coward to let go of you. He wanted to enjoy your company for a little longer, and for that he would always be seen as a coward.

“So what brought you to the library?” you asked him, he seemed to be deep in thought and you felt guilty about interrupting him but he seemed like he didn’t mind.

“I was just looking up some books for some light reading,” he held up a black book, it looked ancient but the appearance isn’t what shocked you. It was the thickness of the book that made your mouth drop open.

You pointed at it. “That is light reading?”

He nodded. “Reading has always been a passion of mine.”

“What about the comics?”

He smirked. “Those too, but reading allows me to imagine a world I wish existed.”

The sadness in his voice made your throat tighten in concern, what happened to him? He was so defensive, so afraid to let anyone be close to him it made you sick with worry and concern.

-

-

-

 

Remi jumped as GD’s bag slammed down on the table, it echoed off the canteen walls and some students looked then ignored it.

Remi raised an eyebrow. “Someone looks happy.”

GD frowned at her. “I got kicked out of the library,” he explained. Remi laughed.

“I told you it wouldn’t work,” she said and continued to eat her food.

“What wouldn’t work?”

Remi sighed and looked at his eyes. “Sweetie, ~~~~~~ ah is as stubborn as you are. Did you honestly think for one second that she was going to let you invade her personal life?”

GD ran a hand over his eyes, as if he had a headache. “Look, she needs to be protected. With Taeyang here, she will never be safe. He’s one of them Remi and he will always be one of them.”

Remi gave him an understanding look, he loved his cousin and it was only normal that GD would feel protective.

“I promise you, we will get our revenge again. History will not repeat itself,” Remi said as she hugged GD tight, her voice low and dangerous.

-

-

-

“Are you really going to drag that around?” you finally asked Taeyang, his bulky book still in his hand.

He shrugged. “It doesn’t bother me, honestly.”

You didn’t believe him, and you took it out of his hand. Taeyang stared shocked; no one had ever been this flippant with him. People feared him and he was getting used to being alone, but you broke down the barriers he kept around his lonely heart. His shields were ineffective against your kindness, and he loved it but he also feared it.

You looked at the title of the book and raised an eyebrow.

“Monsters throughout the ages,” you read the title aloud, and you swore you saw shame flash in Taeyang’s eyes but he concealed his emotions so well it was hard for you to tell.

He shrugged again, his nonchalant manners beginning to irritate you. Did this guy ever lose his cool? You asked yourself.

“Like I said, it’s only light reading,” he said as he watched with a hard gaze as you flicked through the pages.

Illustrations of every type of legendary creature was in the book, some beautiful, some mysterious and majority were ugly and frightening. They were creatures you would find in story books, or stories your parents would tell you to keep you well behaved.

You stopped on a page that interested you.

“I didn’t think Witches were monsters,” you said. You sat on a bench whilst Taeyang stayed standing, you could feel his heated gaze on you. It set fire to your need to kiss him.

“Once upon a time they weren’t monsters. They were people born with a gift to control all the four elements: earth, wind, fire and air. They were worshipped by regular humans; some even thought they were the gods. They healed people, kept villages safe, used their powers for the greater good. It wasn’t until their enemy was born – the Lycanthrope – that they turned into monsters.”

You giggled innocently at the name. “Lycanthrope? You mean like in the Underworld films?”

Taeyang didn’t laugh. He just nodded seriously…too seriously.

“Something like that. You see, the real Gods were feeling threatened by the Witches. They had this crazy idea that the Witches would over throw them but in reality the true Gods were always much more powerful. But the Gods grew greedy and paranoid. Some witches tired to show the Gods that they were still the more powerful, but they didn’t listen. So they created their deadliest weapon on earth. And the Lycanthrope race was born.”

You shivered at the way he said Lycanthrope, as if he was disgusted with it. His eyes turned dark suddenly, and his lips were pressed into a thin line.

“You know your monster legends very well don’t you. You must have loved folklore in school,” you guessed with a nervous laugh following straight after.

Taeyang didn’t smile. “You have no idea how much I know,” he said it too low for you to hear.

You wanted to know more about this legend. “So what happened?”

Taeyang looked down at you. “What the Gods wanted…earth was nothing more than a battle ground for the Lycanthrope’s and Witches. You see the Witches could heal anything once they knew the incantation or spell, a deadly disease, a poisonous bite…anything, they could be healed. However a Lycanthrope’s bite contains an incurable venom and it cannot be cured even with magic, it’s deadly to only Witches. Something to do with the magic in their souls.”

“But how does this make the Witches monsters? Surely if they were healing using their magic, it would make them good won't it?” you asked him, intrigued at his vast knowledge of the monster legends.

Taeyang shrugged. “They stopped caring for the humans, and the survival of the Witch race was their main priority. They used to heal people but they soon forgot about their healing powers, and turned to black magic. They would slaughter humans and use their blood and cast a spell on it to make it smell temporarily like a Witch to distract a Lycanthrope, so they would have time to escape. Some Witches however, remained good. But most turned into selfish killers.”

He continued. “That’s why many humans burned so many women and even men at the stake, accusing them of sorcery. None of them were real Witches. Witches were far too smart to allow themselves to be caught by humans, when they were on the run from Lycanthropes.  But humans were so terrified of them and their dark magic that they blindly executed women and men.”

“Men were called Witches?” you asked with a hint of a smile, an attempt to lighten the mood that had noticably turned sombre, you saw Taeyang’s lips twitch but they didn’t curve upwards like you'd intended them too.

“They were known as Warlocks, but people who were known to possess magic were called Witches in general. The women were just called Witches.”

You nodded slowly, the way he talked with a tight jaw as if he cared. And it made you wonder why he did care in the first place. Maybe he takes this subject seriously, you told yourself. You wanted him to carry on, and though his voice was low and deadly…it was just as enticing and wonderful to hear.

“So the venom of the Lycanthrope, if it’s only deadly to the Witches…what about the humans?”

Taeyang gave you a dark grin. “A Lycanthrope bite is deadly to Witches but to humans it's a lifelong curse. This is when the Lycanthrope curse was born. If a Lycanthrope bit into a human then they too would turn into a creature of the night, though they would not be as powerful as an original.”

You shook your head, confused. “Why not? Surely they should all be the same?”

Taeyang shook his head. “An original Lycanthrope is what they call the ‘pure blooded’ ones. They have pure Lycanthrope ancestors, they are strong, fast and lethal and possibly one of the most dangerous creatures that ever walked the planet. Some used to drink the bloods of the Witches they captured because it gave them temporary magic; they were the Gods most treasured creation. Most treasured weapon.”

You pulled on his hand to allow him to sit next to you; he obeyed and sat down beside you. His body warmth comforted you.

“So what about the human Lycanthropes? Do they change on a full moon?” you asked.

He shook his head. “An original Lycanthrope and a human turned Lycanthrope can change at will, but it is much harder for a human Lycanthrope. Almost painful, the only thing they got right in the movies. The moon was just a cheesy hollywood stunt,” he joked.

“Why? Why are they not as strong as an original?”

“It’s hard to explain. You see, once a human has been bitten, the gene of the Lycanthrope is bonded to the human genes but they are at a constant battle to take over…but neither one ever wins, which is why the transformation from human to wolf form is painful. Why they are not as strong or fast as an original is purely down to the fact that the human gene is forever present. A human being bitten is possibly the worst punishment, an original looks down on them and they are treated as outcasts in the Lycanthrope world.”

You swallowed. “Do the Lycanthropes eat…humans?”

Taeyang scrunched his noise in disgust. “No! Lycanthropes are known to find human flesh disgusting actually. However, they do prefer eating bloodied meat but they never kill humans unless it is necessary.”

“So how do they end up biting the humans? Is it by accident?” you asked the most important question. You saw the corners of Taeyang’s mouth twitch, as if his answer to your question pained him.

“Some do it because they fall in love with a human.”

Now that shocked you. “Really?"

"Yes, they bring a human into their world."

"That's quite...sweet."

“But mostly they do it because they like to watch humans suffer. They do it out of spite, to show who is the superior race,” Taeyang continued in a monotonous voice.

You felt your shoulders hunch in on you at the new information. This world he described sounded awful and dangerous. You were sure you wouldn’t last 10 seconds.

“Oh,” was all you could manage to say.

He nodded. “According to legend it is forbidden to mate with a human, since it is known as tainting the bloodline and making a born Lycanthrope weaker. It is seen as almost a criminal offence,” he said, Taeyang then added, “according to legend there are very few human turned Lycanthropes anyway. Since original Lycanthropes despise them so much.”

You nodded. It was the most interesting conversation you had with anyone. Though it has nothing to do with science, medicine or even reality, it was the most fascinating story ever.

“So what about the Witches? What happened to them?”

Taeyang let out a long heavy sigh. “They went into hiding, the Lycanthrope’s under the Gods orders hunted them down almost to extinction. Some survived…it’s mentioned in the book.”

You gaped at him. “So you’re saying that the Lycanthropes followed orders blindly? Didn’t they have any human qualities in them at all?!”

Taeyang winced as you shrieked. “It’s a difficult concept to understand, but yes most did follow blindly. You have to understand that Lycanthropes are beasts at heart, they only turn to their human form to blend in. Lycanthropes are not human.”

You realized you were crossed leg on the bench facing him, like a child listening to someone tell them a story. You shook your head at the information he had given you, he must have read hundreds of books to get that information.

“Wow. Have you ever considered trying to read a romance?” you asked him seriously. To your surprise he laughed, it was fascinating to see his eyes disappear whenever he laughed or smile. It showed a vulnerable side to him, it took your mind of his usual calm and lethal demeanour.

Taeyang grinned. Would he ever get used to you making him laugh?

“Nah, Romance isn’t my thing,” he said with a smirk.

“But isn’t it kind of depressing? I mean to find out that the Lycanthropes were nothing but killing machines. And the Witches were forced to go into hiding for doing nothing but existing, from being revered heroes in towns to being known as ruthless sorcerers in books,” you pointed to the bulky book that lay in your lap.

Taeyang gave you a tired smile, that didn’t reach his eyes. “It’s just a legend ~~~~~~ ah. Nothing more than a bedtime story.”

“I know, it’s just…the Lycanthropes sound so horrible! If they were real…ugh! I wouldn’t even look at one,” you shivered at the thought of Lycanthropes existing.

Taeyang’s body went rigid, his features turned icy and unwelcoming. You wanted to cower back, you’d never seen anyone become as frightening and commanding as he was now. Power and danger oozed from every pore of his sinfully delicious body.

He picked up his book and stood up so fast it was as if he had always been standing.

“I have to go home.”

He didn’t say goodbye as he walked past you with fast strides. You watched him go, wondering what you said that could have hurt him or made him so angry at you.

“,” you hissed under your breath. You snatched up your bag and headed to the bookstore, fighting back tears as the wind bit into your skin.

-

-

-

Taeyang wanted to punch himself he wanted to do anything that would numb the pain, your wounded expression replayed over his mind.

“What have I done?” he whispered to himself as it finally dawned on him. “Why did I tell her?” he asked himself again and again as he walked back to his flat.

As he opened the door he immediately noticed something was wrong, and sniffed the air. Without warning he grabbed a knife from his back pocket and threw it in one direction. But it didn’t seem to have hit anything, he waited for the stranger to step into the light.

“You’ve been a bad boy haven’t you Taeyang?” a cruel melodic voice cooed from the darkness.

======

I hope you all enjoyed it :) Comment and let me know what you think :) the action will finally begin, mwuhahaha ;)