Dreams

Midnight

The large grand clock hung up elegantly on the wall outside of the University campus, chiming noisily indicating to everyone that it was time for the next lesson. You picked up your bag and held big bulky books in your arms, hugging them close to your body.

“Seriously, this day could not get any worse,” a girl cried out who now stood by your side, laughing at her you rolled your eyes.

“Remi, its only 10 o’clock in the morning. What crisis have you got happening now?” you asked her, a thick layer of sarcasm in your tone of voice. Remi’s jaw dropped down, her eyebrows raised.

“Professor Kim just gave me a ten thousand word essay to do, tell me that’s something worth dying for?”

You giggled and gently patted Remi’s shoulder with your hand in a playfully patronizing manner.

“Sadly, no it’s not. But if it was ten thousand and one word essay…” but Remi interrupted you before you could finish your sentence.

“~~~~~ ah, don’t even think about it. If I’m not careful, and this work load keeps on piling up I think I’ll be dead by the time I’m 25.”

“You’re 19,” you pointed out "You shouldn't be worrying about dying, you should be worrying about what colour to paint your nails next."

Remi threw her hands up in the air.

“Exactly, that means I need to start having kids now." Remi pretended to cry into her hand, wailing loudly so she attracted the attention of the other people around her.

Embarrassed and amused, you gently knocked her shoulder with your heavy text books. “Yah! Stop embarrassing me, I sometimes think they made a mistake on my birth certificate, because I act older than you…even though we’re the same age!”

“That’s because you’re not an emotional wreck.”

You winked at her. “No, but I hang out with one. Now quit , during my free period I talked to Daesung and he says he’s holding a party at his place. Fancy joining me?” you asked her with pleading eyes, Remi straightened up her face lightening up with delight.

“House party?” you nodded. “Hell yeah! It’s about time someone hosts one, I’m sick of eating the Kimchi umma makes me and her constantly telling me I have to get my Law degree to get a good job and she’s forever telling me to have at least seven grandchildren for her. I swear by the second child, my… will be aching.”

Wrinkling your nose in disgust at the unwanted information, you pointed behind you. “I’ve got Chemistry now; will it be safe for me to leave you on your own? Or will you keep on ranting to yourself, which I would like to point out is a sign of insanity,” you jokingly asked her.

Remi rolled her eyes. “Very funny. And yes, I think I’ve let it all out now. It’s my turn for the free period, oh enjoy Chemistry, don’t blow yourself up.”

“I promise,” then you both parted your separate ways. You lightly laughed to yourself at your entire conversation with Remi, because despite the fact that she was verging on being mentally unstable and a drama queen, she was your best friend and you’d be lost without her.

“You’re late,” you heard GD grumble as you took a seat next to him. You threw your bag down under the desk and quickly shoved on your lab coat and took out your books and notes for the lesson.

“No, you’re just early,” you said as you flicked through your notes from last lesson. GD smirked and pushed a pair of goggles in your direction, then put his own on making him look incredibly dorky that you couldn’t help but giggle at.

“Come on little Lee, we’re about to get busy,” he rapped, you made a face at what he said.

“Ugh! Stop doing that, my name is ~~~~~ ah. Call me my REAL name, or else I’ll tell everyone you didn’t stop wetting the bed till you were eleven,” you blackmailed him, an evil grin slowly spreading out across your face.

GD’s lips thinned into a sneer, his finger pointed at you. “Tell anybody that, and I’ll end you.”

You made an ‘ooo’ sound, taunting him. “I’m so scared, is ‘wittle GD going to hurt me?” you teased, GD was about to make a caustic remark when the professor walked in, setting his brief case aside and quickly writing up the lesson’s outcomes on the board.

“You are the most annoying cousin in the world,” GD hissed at you, you gave him a sour smile and kissed his cheek.

“I love you too fellow cousin.”

“Alright class settle down, today we’re going to be studying-…” the professor began, but he stopped mid sentence when the door opened and everyone sat up in curiosity.

There at the door, stood Taeyang. His lean and ripped body was emphasised with the dark long sleeve shirt he wore making him look delectable as the sleeves hugged his well toned biceps. The shirt was low cut allowing people to have a peek at his smooth chest, and yet his rugged manliness never failed to miss anyone. His lips full and utterly kissable curved up into an apologetic smile directed at the professor, his eyes were in slits…but they were always like that giving him that innocent look which toned down the dangerous aura he be held. Without a doubt, Taeyang was the most handsome guy your eyes ever laid on and you knew every other girl…and some guys…shared this thought with you.

“You’re late Taeyang,” the professor lightly scolded him, but what was the point? Taeyang seemed to know everything, doing every practical correctly; answering almost everything perfectly in each mock exam…the boy was a genius as well as a treat for the eyes.

“I’m sorry, it won’t happen again,” and he bowed down slightly, then headed for his seat at the back where no one else sat.

The professor stood dumbstruck for a moment, he expected a full commentary on why he was late but instead he got the exact opposite. With a small shake of his head, the professor returned to teaching.

“~~~~~~ ah, stop drooling over him,” you heard GD whisper in your ear, you weren’t aware you were staring at Taeyang till GD kindly pointed it out. With a sharp jab at his arm with your elbow, you took notes from the board.

“You know, abuse is frowned upon,” GD said again, you laughed and looked at him with a smile.

“I hardly call a light nudge ‘abuse’, you’re just obviously not a very strong person. By the way, I wasn’t drooling over Taeyang,” you looked away and bit your lips. It was kind of the truth…you weren’t drooling.

GD snorted and quickly looked over his shoulder at Taeyang, who was busy writing on his own. “Whatever, all I’m going to say is the dude’s a freak. He doesn’t talk to no body, girls falling at his feet and he thinks he’s better than everyone else.”

You too looked at him, trying to see the arrogance in Taeyang’s face that GD described, but you couldn’t see it. “I don’t think he's like that at all. He's probably just shy, maybe he doesn’t want the attention from girls. Not all guys like it you know.”

GD snorted again and said, “~~~~~~ ah, I’m a man who has…needs. And if I was Taeyang well…” he grinned and gave an arrogant nod of his head, “those needs would be fulfilled.”

“Ew! Information overload! God, you’re so disgusting,” you covered your ears with your hands, GD laughed and pulled your hands back down at your side.

“I was joking. What I’m saying is, no guy can’t NOT want the attention, it’s just so not…human.”

You looked back, and you thought you saw Taeyang mumble something to himself. You couldn’t agree with GD, until you saw proof you just couldn’t agree. “He’s not like that, he can’t be.”

Then, Taeyang lifted his head up, and his eyes locked with your own eyes. For the first time, you saw the pain and suffering in Taeyang’s eyes. The agony in them so visible, your heart ached for him. How could someone so handsome, be so sad? You asked yourself, you felt the strange need to hug him and comfort him. Wishing all the bad things away.

When the eye contact got more intense, you looked away breaking it. Meeting eyes with Taeyang left you breathless and…you wanted more. You wanted to know him, but that was impossible. Taeyang never spoke to anybody; he only spoke when it was necessary.

With a sad sigh, you continued on with your work.

 

Taeyang sat in his chair, his eyes wandering off in your direction occasionally. He was intrigued by you; your emerald green eyes showed your pureness and kindness, the contrast of your eyes with your snowy white skin made you all the more lovely in his eyes. The permanent rosy glow and the glossy shiny dark hair falling down in soft ringlets begged to be touched, he could almost smell the enticing scent of yours. Those lips…his mind began to think of kissing them. Crushing his own lips down onto yours, passion and sincerity in the kiss.

But he couldn’t, he commanded himself to push you out of your thoughts. You could be a liability to him…to his job.

-

-

-

“Have you gotten shorter?” Seung Ri joked, putting his hand on the top of your head measuring you, in the middle of the canteen.

You pouted and stamped your foot. “I am not short.”

“Well then you’re stumpy,” Seung Ri persisted. Seung Ri has been your friend since nursery, he was like a brother to you. He was always looking out for you, trying to do what was best for you in his opinion.

“Oppa!” you whined, and then turned to GD. “Oppa, he’s calling me names.”

“And I care because?” he said in a monotonous voice, you were about to protest when Remi arrived. GD’s entire face lit up, and with one long clumsy stride he placed a kiss on Remi’s lips. She closed her eyes and embraced him around the neck.

“Ugh, is hyung and unnie going at it again?” a guy with a medium build and a cheeky smile said. Daesung, forever energetic and forever cracking jokes or expressing his opinions at the wrong time. You laughed and shook your head at the couple.

“I know right, you would think they were newlyweds or something.”

“Yah! TOP hyung!” Seung Ri called to a tall guy, with a flawless face and playboy good looks. A confident smile on his face, but when he reached the group his smile became much more genuine…less fake. His dark, intense eyes turned playful when he grabbed Daesung and gave him a light nougie…or so you thought.

“A little rat owes me money,” TOP said with a grin, as Daesung struggled in his grip.

“I-I have it! Yah! Hyung, let me go…this is bullying!” Daesung yelped, TOP let him go and Daesung stumbled back a few steps. “Ouch, that hurt you know.” He rubbed the top of his head and his hand and fumbled in his pockets for the money, once he found it he handed to TOP who took it without hesitating.

“Thank you, now I’ve got to go.”

“Where?” Remi asked with a suspicious look.

TOP shuffled further away from the groups, his face impatient. “I’ll tell you tomorrow, but not now. I’m not sure yet, I’ll see you later.”

He dashed off and GD stared after him. “Weird dude, anyway. I’m going to head off for next lesson, I’ll see you later,” he said lovingly to Remi and kissed her on the forehead then walked away.

“Yeah, I’ve got Media next. I’m going to go too,” Seung Ri said, he was followed by Daesung who shared the lesson with him. Leaving you and Remi alone in the canteen.

“You know you’re lucky,” you blurted out, Remi looked around her before pointing to herself.

“Me? I’m lucky?”

You nodded. “Yes. Although you’re mental and weird, mental jokes aside, you’re a good friend. And you have a good boyfriend; of course I have to say that he’s my cousin so…”

Remi smiled and gave you a hug. “You’re a good friend too ~~~~~~ ah, and as I’m such a good friend…I’m going to set you up with somebody.”

You waved your hands frantically at her, your face panicked and your eyes wide. “No! Don’t you dare, no one on this campus will go out with me.”

“Why not?”

“Because.”

“Because what?” Remi asked her voice an octave higher.

You sighed. “Because, I’m weird. I have green eyes, when was the last time you saw an Asian person with green eyes?”

Remi’s eyes narrowed as she thought. “Wait, no that’s not a good enough reason, why won’t anyone go out with you?”

You felt your shoulders suddenly hunch in on you and you felt so vulnerable, you wanted to ridicule yourself for being so stupid. “Because, I have these dreams Remi.”

Remi shrugged her shoulders. “Everybody has dreams ~~~~~ ah. Where’s this going?”

You tried to explain as fully as you could, but it was hard. Letting someone know your secrets, especially one that could label you as a freak. “Well, sometimes. My dreams…they become less like a dream and more like…reality.”

“What like a de ja vu?” Remi said, you shook your head as you let out an irritated breath. It was hard to explain, and quite frankly embarrassing.

“No, the dreams…they become real. No detail is left out in real life, whatever I dream it happens. I dreamt that you and GD were going to be together, I dreamt that you’re going to pass the exam for your degree-…”

“I’m going to pass my exam?!” Remi trilled excitedly, but stopped when she saw the worried look on your face. “I’m sorry, I went off subject there. Okay, maybe you’re imagining things. Things like that don’t happen ~~~~~ ah, not in real life anyway. I still don’t understand how this stops you from dating anybody?”

Remi sat silently in front of you, waiting for your reply. You tried to phrase it in a way she could understand, but it was difficult. She doesn’t even believe me, you thought sadly.

“~~~~~~ ah?”

You took a shaky breath, and you whispered your reply in a hoarse voice. “I dreamt…I dreamt that I was going to die.”