Skills

Midnight

Remi sat silently, her eyes wide. You patiently sat waiting for her to say something, but the silence carried on, ticking away.

“~~~~~~ ah, listen to me.” Remi finally said, “You’re probably just tired, you’ve been having late nights and it’s taking a toll on you.”

You shook your head in disagreement. “But that’s the thing Remi; I’ve been sleeping fine even when I have the dream of me…dying…I sleep fine. I wake up confused and dizzy but nothing else.”

“It’s just not possible, no one can dream the future ~~~~~~ ah. Look, everyone has dreams where they die in and people always wake up before they actually die so it’s probably just something like that…” Remi said, making any old excuse up for you.

“No, this is different. I can feel my heart, I felt it stop beating. I felt the life come out of me,” you whispered in a strained voice, leaning in so no one else could over hear the conversation. Remi’s eyes were wide with fright, you didn’t blame her. She was sitting opposite an insane person!

“Tell you what, I’ll stop over at my Umma’s shop. I’ll get you this herbal thing she makes and it helps with people who lack sleep, if it doesn’t help I’ll come with you to a pharmacy. We’ll get you come sleeping pills.” Remi ranted, for a few minutes then she stopped talking and just stared at you blankly.

A few seconds of silence had passed, and you decided it was time to end it. With a heavy sigh you stood up. “Look, you’re probably right Remi, and I’m being stupid and it probably is just a dream and I’m just scaring myself…and you,” you added quietly. “Forget I said anything.”

Remi sat in silence again for a few seconds but when my words finally sunk in, she sat up beamed up at you in encouragement. “Okay, so does that mean I can set you up with someone?” she asked hopefully.

You wanted to say anything but ‘yes’, but Remi looked genuinely happy to see you happy with a guy that you couldn’t disappoint her or spoil her fun. “Fine, I suppose I can give it a go. How bad can one date be?” you said while your eyes rolled heavily to the side, sarcasm heavy in your voice earning yourself a light swat on the arm from Remi.

Remi linked her arms through yours and the two of you set off down the corridor. “If it’s a guy found by me he will definitely not be bad, trust me ~~~~~~ ah you’ll enjoy yourself. We have a free period now, since we’re on our second year so less work load and all that nonsense how about we go to the city centre and get a coffee?”

You made a sound of agreement to her suggestion. “Seoul coffee is like the best! Oh, can we please get some soup too?”

Remi laughed at your eager face at the thought of food, never had she seen someone so uplifted by soup!

“I guess we can, just remember to drink the soup slowly. Remember how you burnt your tongue the last time?”

Wincing at the painful memory, you nodded obediently at her warning. Both getting into her car which was a small but cute little creamy white hatchback, you sat back into the seat closing your eyes and listened to the radio.

“I love this song,” you said quietly to yourself, too quiet for anyone to hear especially with the radio but Remi turned the volume up straight away as if she heard you, but it wasn’t possible for her to have heard you.

“How often do you have these dreams ~~~~~~ ah?” Remi asked you in a tone of voice that didn’t ignite your own worry and fear about them, but instead in a voice that was calm and made you feel safe.

Without opening your eyes you answered. “About three times a week, they get more vivid towards the end of the week. It’s always the same dream for that week then changing again the next week and so on. Kind of like a cycle.”

After your explanation, Remi spoke again. “So, one week you’d dream about one event for that entire week. The next week something completely different?”

You nodded. “Yeah, but like I said towards the end which is usually on the third day, they get more real and vivid. Kind of like it’s happening right in front of me.”

“And you never feel threatened in any way? Even in the dream where you die?”

Swallowing a lump in your throat but determined to stay unperturbed and calm, you answered back in a soft voice. “Not nothing like that, I just feel confused and dizzy. Nothing else, no waking up in the middle of the night, no sweating…not anything. It’s like I’ve completely zoned out.”

“Okay, well hopefully my umma can fix you up. Don’t worry ~~~~~ ah, it’ll be okay.”

You silently agreed. Yeah, I hope everything will be okay, you thought.

-

-

-

 

GD was in class when he felt his phone vibrate lightly above his chest, in the pocket of his shirt. Carefully taking it out without the professor’s knowledge he looked at the text he received.

With ~~~~~ ah on the way to the city centre. It’s starting. We were right.

Love Remi.

GD read the text more than necessary as the words were now embedded in his mind, he stowed his phone away quickly when the professor walked past him explaining. He looked down at his hands which were now clenched into tight fists.

This can’t be happening. He thought angrily.

Taking his phone out again, he forwarded the text to Seung Ri, Daesung and TOP. Once they had been sent, GD sat still on his stool staring at the piece of paper.

This shouldn’t be happening, not to ~~~~~ ah. GD thought hopelessly, a frown forming on his brow as concern and dread washed over him. He wanted to run out of class and rush home, but he couldn’t he had to stay here and keep his word, the oath me made a long time ago.

God, I hope this doesn’t get ugly.

-

-

-

You wandered around the shops with Remi by your side, admiring the colourful window displays and often pointing to something you liked and wished out loud that you wanted it.

“Then why not buy it?” Remi asked you eventually, her grin wide and patronizing but you didn’t mind. You shrugged and stared at a pair of shoes that you were dying to have, but you felt bad about spending money so you contented yourself with just looking rather than buying.

“Because, I’d rather save money. But there is nothing wrong with ogling pretty things, it’s actually quite healthy,” you said with a smirk, just then you saw Taeyang stride out of a shop with a bag in his hand.  His long trench coat hiding his well, you pursed your lips in annoyance at his rear being covered.

“Speaking of ‘pretty things’” you mumbled to yourself. You were shocked at your behaviour, but seriously that guy looked so delectable that you wouldn’t be surprised if he was suddenly in front of you on a platter ready for you to take a bite out of him. No guy should be that good looking.

“~~~~~~ ah, control yourself,” you heard Remi joke behind you, forcing your eyes to look in a different direction you looked at your friend your eyes narrowing slightly.

“I am in control thank you.”

Remi’s eyebrows arched up at your comment. “Please. I may not be as smart as you, but I think I’ve been your friend long enough to know when you eye a guy.”

You gaped at her crude way of putting it. “I did not eye him! I was just admiring his…coat,” you lied terribly and if you couldn’t believe yourself than there was no hope Remi would believe you.

“You’re even worse at lying than your cousin! Is that a family thing?”

You lightly hit her arm. “Hey! And I wasn’t lying, okay maybe I was,” you corrected yourself after Remi  gave you a look. “So what if I like to stare at Taeyang every once in a while? It’s not like I would ever go out with him anyway.”

“Why not?” Remi asked her voice suddenly much more serious and harsher. You swallowed and began walking again.

“I don’t know, when I’m near him, he kind of scares me. He’s so quiet and shy, but I don’t doubt that he could kick someone’s without breaking a sweat. I don’t know, I guess I’m just being paranoid but I don’t think I could date a guy who makes me want to run and hide from him.”

Remi nodded. “Yeah it’s probably best if you don’t date him. You know, I hear boyfriends really distract you from Uni work.”

You laughed. “So my cousin, GD?”

“Which proves my point, boyfriends are distracting,” Remi said with a wink, her playful self coming back. You laughed and once you both had finished window shopping and had gotten your coffee you headed outside to the car.

Then it all happened so fast.

A bang so loud it made your ears ring and burn, your hands automatically flying to cup your ears as they ached. Screams erupted around you and you smelt smoke and petrol…lots of petrol.

The man who had driven the car was out and safe, except for a few bruises but he was in too much in shock to say anything. He sat on the side with a coat wrapped around him, his eyes blank and his entire body shook from what just happened.

You looked down to see another man, who was sprawled across the road his eyes shut and a small pool of blood surrounded him.

“Someone save him!”

“He’s bleeding!” people shouted and congregated around the car crash, throwing your coffee cup in the bin you rushed over to the scene your medical knowledge surging through you.

“Everybody calm down,” you heard Remi shout loudly over the squeals of fright. You didn’t know why the bystanders were in shock, they weren’t the ones lying on the ground dying or injured. The poor man before you was.

“Can you help him?”

“Are you a doctor?”

People asked you, you looked up and shook your head.

“No, I’m a medical student but I know what I’m doing, we went through this in class.” You said quickly, then looked back down at the man, who’s skin was slowly turning into a worrying shade of blue. He wasn’t breathing, but you pressed two fingers down at his neck and felt his pulse.

Your mind suddenly began to rifle through all the lessons you’ve ever had at university.

Gently, you began pushing down onto his chest. You widened your eyes at it dawned on you.

“Need help?” you heard a deep enticing voice by your side; you looked to see Taeyang dangerously close to you. For a second you froze, but when more people began to scream your mind began to work again.

“His chest, it’s full of air. We need to release the pressure, otherwise he’s going to go into cardiac arrest and die,” you informed him hurriedly, violently pushing the thoughts of kissing him aside and you focused.

Taeyang’s face was as stoic as ever he didn’t look at all phased. He looked up and pointed to a man. “I need you to go into that restaurant and ask for alcohol with a pourer, say it’s for an emergency. Now!” he raised his voice when the man didn’t move.

“Have you got a needle? Or a knife?” you asked him, in no time he held out a dagger for you to take. You found yourself admiring the hilt of it, and without a doubt you could tell it was expensive. You decided not to ask him why he carried something so dangerous with him so casually. It was a conversation that was for another time.

“Here you go,” the man came back with the alcohol and handed it to Taeyang. He quickly opened the bottle and spilt the liquid onto the man’s.

“We need to make a hole on his intercostal space, but I-I’ve forgotten where,” you said in a panic, wanting to beat yourself at forgetting that one detail.

“It’s the fifth,” Taeyang reminded you kindly, you nodded at him and then without hesitating you carefully pierced the man’s skin and blood ran down his side.

“Here,” Taeyang handed you the pourer which you immediately put inside the incision you just made. The man began to breathe, his eyes shut and the crowd applauded yours and Taeyang’s work.

“My…leg,” the man gasped his face a mask of pain and distress, Taeyang immediately lifted his trouser leg up revealing a nasty wound on his leg.

With ease that you admired, Taeyang ripped half of the man’s trouser leg and tied it securely above the knee. You rushed over to help him, taking your jacket off and pushing down on the wound keeping pressure on it at all times.

“The bleeding has stopped,” you said in between gasps of air, surprised that saving a person’s life was this difficult and you felt completely drained of your energy. You’d never worked on a live patient before at Uni, but with the way Taeyang quickly and efficiently tied a secure knot on the man’s leg to stop the bleeding you could tell he definitely had.

“We can take it from here,” someone said tapping your shoulder, you turned to see an ambulance behind you and police sectioning the area off. The fire service was also there, making sure that there wouldn’t be an explosion due to the large amount of petrol on the road.

“Are you alright? You have blood on you,” a police asked you worriedly, you nodded and smiled at him.

“I’m fine it’s not my blood, just get them some help,” you motioned with your head at the two men who were strapped down on a gurney, oxygen masks strapped to their faces.

“Thank goodness you were here,” another police officer said. You smiled and gave an embarrassed bow at the attention you were receiving.

“Well, I owe thanks to my university and…” you searched the crowd for Taeyang, your eyes locked on his back as he spoke to someone. Most likely giving a statement. “And my fellow pupil, he helped with the man’s leg.”

The police officers chuckled at your modesty. “Well it’s good you two were here, thank you. The man’s family should be grateful to the pair of you, now you best get cleaned up.”

Remi grinned at you. “So Super Woman, where to?”

You rolled your eyes at her. “Hey, I want to be a doctor so I better get used to saving people.”

“Let’s get you home and explain to people why you have blood all over you, otherwise someone might have a heart attack,” Remi said pointing to her car. You began to follow her but stopped, you saw Taeyang heading in the other direction alone his expensive coat and hands covered in blood.

“I’ll be there in a minute,” you said and ran after him, Remi screamed after you.

“~~~~~ ah! ~~~~~~ ah!!” but you didn’t listen, Remi let out a soft growl. That girl will get herself killed, she thought to herself.

“Hey!” you called after Taeyang, he stopped and for a moment you thought he would carry on walking but he slowly turned around.

You had to stop yourself from gasping at his handsomeness, the blood on his clothes and hands didn’t stop him from being the most gorgeous guy you had ever met. His stance made him look like he was ready for battle, he looked so terrifying and kind at the same time it baffled you.

“I wanted to say urm…well done. You did good out there,” you praised him lamely, almost wanting to take it back. God that was the stupidest thing ever, you thought to yourself wanting to cry.

An angelic smile spread out across his lips, his eyes disappearing. He didn’t look like at all intimidating or frightening, but even more handsome and friendly.

“Right back at you,” he said in the delicious voice.

Taeyang stood a safe distance from you, your enchanting green eyes piercing him to his soul. Your lips begged to be kissed and it took all his strength not to pull you to him in a crushing but loving hug and kiss you all night long but he couldn’t. He had his duties and being with you, or even him thinking of being together with you was practically forbidden.

But what he wouldn’t give to feel your soft, caring hands hold him like he mattered. To be cared for by someone as innocent, and as beautiful as you.

“Do you want a ride back home?” you asked him interrupting his thoughts, he was thankful for that but he shook his head at your offer.

“It’s okay, I can walk home. I don’t want to dirty your car,” Taeyang said and it made his heart squeeze painfully as the rejection and hurt flooded into your haunting green eyes. Your hair lightly dishevelled framed your face softly, he felt a strange urge to just hold it. Feel how soft it was against his rough hands.

“Oh okay,” you said sadly, but your face lit up. “Do you think the professor will let us off some work tomorrow once he finds out what we did tonight?”

He wanted to laugh at your eagerness, how he wished he could worry about something as trivial as that but he had to keep his head screwed on tight and his focus had to be perfect at all times.

“I highly doubt it, but we can always hope,” he said in a low soothing voice, you were completely at loss for words till you heard a blaring car horn behind you. You saw Remi’s hand wave at you impatiently.

“Sorry, that’s my friend. She wants me home.”

You saw Taeyang’s eyes turn from kind one moment to cold and empty the next. “I bet she does,” he said in such a low voice you wasn’t sure if you heard correctly but you decided to let it pass just in case he didn’t say it and you embarrassed yourself.

“I’ve got to go,” you said, Taeyang nodded and held out his hand. You looked at it nervously. “Urm, you’ve got blood on your hands,” you pointed down at them.

Taeyang held back a comment and a dark laugh. Instead he smiled at you. “So have you, I thought we might as well shake hands. It’s better than a hug and getting your clothes bloodied like mine are.”

Giggling at his charming ways, you shook his hand and the minute you held his hand an electric shock shot through your entire body that had you trembling in fear and pleasure. You looked at Taeyang’s eyes to see if he had the same reaction, but like always his face was emotionless.

“I’ll see you tomorrow,” you said then waved goodbye and headed for the car. Taeyang savoured your soft touch and stared after you with longing eyes.

Then with a predatorily grace, he strode off into the shadows of the night.

“I’m sorry I kept you waiting,” you apologised as you saw Remi’s surly expression. She sighed.

“Sorry, I over reacted it’s just…GD will kill me if he saw you like that.”

“He wouldn’t kill you Remi, he loves you,” you amended her comment, the corners of quirked up into a smile.

“Yeah, but he'd probably have a seizure. So buckle up chum, you need to get cleaned up,” she ordered you playfully.

As you drove home, you couldn’t help but think about Taeyang. He was always alone, and yet so many girls would do anything to be his girlfriend, even guys would find him decent and easy to get along with yet he literally puts a barrier between himself and other people.

You wondered who had hurt him so he would be this afraid of getting close to anyone, or who threatened him not to get close to people. You found yourself wanting to hug him tight, and make the bad things in his life go away.

-

-

-

After having permission to leave college early, Remi drove you home. It was almost dark, and when you got in you called for your mother and father.

“Umma! Appa!?” you called, but no one answered. Guessing they were still at work you trudged up the stairs and cleaned the blood of you and took a long, hot shower.

When you got out you put on your warmest and softest pyjamas and crawled into your bed, finding yourself exhausted and before long your eyes became extremely heavy till you couldn’t open them anymore.

==============

Hope you all liked it. Let me know what you think! <3