Chapter 9

What is love?

I missed an update, and this is just me making up for it.

Enjoy!

 

–––

 

There was a knock on Tiffany’s door, and the girl looked away from the television to it. She knew that no one would be there, but she still got up from the couch and walked to the entrance of her house.

 

There was a tub of ice cream on the front of her door, a tub of strawberry ice cream to be exact. For the past few days, someone has been coming by her house and has been leaving her things. Things like books, homework, a warm dinner (sometimes breakfast), and now ice cream.

 

Tiffany looked around to see if anyone was out there, and she wasn’t surprised that there wasn’t. “I don’t need your pity!!!” She screamed out into the cold air.

 

The once cheery girl was annoyed. She was tired of everyone looking at her with such sorrow and tired of everyone trying to be compassionate around her. She lost her mom, yes! And it ! But she didn’t need them to remind her of it every damn day. She didn’t need everyone to tell her, “I’m sorry for your loss.”

 

She slammed the door shut and left the ice cream tub outside her door out of anger. Tiffany was angry. Lately, she’s just been so angry at the world, at that idiot that decided to drive while being under the influence of alcohol.

 

She wished that man would have died too. Maybe then she wouldn’t feel so angry… so upset…..

 

Hwang watched television for the rest of the evening. She watched until her eyes finally gave out and drooped, and her mind could no longer comprehend what it was that they were saying on the television. With one lazy movement, Tiffany turned off the television and looked at the packet of homework that was on the coffee table.

 

Her steps were heavy as she walked up the stairs of her empty house. The same house the used to always smell like kimchi and sesame oil. Where it once was warm and full of hope, was now cold and dead. It felt very cold and very lonely.

 

There were pictures on the walls as she walked to her room. Her eyes stopped at one with her and her parents happily posing at the camera.

 

She hasn’t seen her father since the funeral.

 

It’s crossed her mind several times of how her dad’s coping and why he hasn’t been home, but she knows the answer. It stares at her every morning when she wakes up. She never thought that there would be a day when she wished she didn’t look like her mother. Maybe then her dad would be here with her.

 

Tiffany’s iPhone lit up the room when she opened the door. She looked at the Caller ID and then set back down on her night stand. It was Jessica again. She knew Jessica was just calling her to check up on how’s she’s doing, but she didn’t want to speak to her.

 

She didn’t want to speak to anyone actually.

 

Her phone stopped vibrating, and her eyes caught something outside her window. Tiffany slowly walked to the window and realized it was a piece of paper. Without a second thought, she opened it and grabbed the note.

 

I’m not pitying you.

 

Tiffany’s heart raced. She recognized the handwriting and looked down when she saw a familiar car start its engine.

 

“Taeyeon?”

 

The car’s lights , and Tiffany quickly bolted to the door.

 

“Taeyeon!”

 

She ran down the stairs, taking long steps and not scared of the fact that she could trip or miss a step.

 

“Taeyeon!!!”

 

Her hand reached for the doorknob and yanked at the door, only to run into it and cursed the lock on the door. Tiffany then quickly opens the door and runs outside barefooted looking for the familiar car. “Taeyeon!”

 

By the time she spotted the car, it had already merged with the traffic onto the main street from afar.

 

“Wait….”

 

Tiffany stood in the middle of the freezing street, barely visible to the eye as the only working street lamp flickered from afar.

 

–––

 

Oh, and thanks for the feedback. I do read them lol. I've just been busy and what not. You guys crack me up! And it makes my day, thanks!