Chapter 31

What is love?

Taeyeon was in her room playing with her phone. She was playing flappy bird. Sure, the game was taken down and other versions of it were up in the app store, but she never deleted her game. No, Taeyeon had the original copy still engraved in her phone. She could never delete the game. It relaxes her and that's exactly what she needs right now.

 

Her relatives are over for Christmas. Sarah made her spend an hour with them downstairs earlier, and her mom knows she doesn’t like being around her aunts, uncles, and cousins. They never treat her like family. 

 

“How’s the child?” They say. “Is she any trouble?” They comment. “My child is on the top of her academy.” They brag. “What have you accomplished?” They sneer.

 

Taeyeon never really did like her dad’s family. Her dad comes from a well off family. Everyone there is a doctor, a lawyer, and a director of some sort. They all have high expectations, even their children act like them. Taeyeon’s girl cousins are always bragging about the latest trend going on, the latest make-up, fashion designer, brand, you name it, and the guys are just as bad. The only people who are tolerable, there, are her grandparents. Her dad’s parents accepted her years ago when David fought with his parents over the fact that Taeyeon is his daughter. They never tried to argue with her parents after that.

 

They accept her now. Her grandmother is actually the best. She’s the one who gave Taeyeon her first painting kit once she learned that Taeyeon could draw. Her grandmother was always into art. She went to galleries, and whenever Taeyeon would visit them, her grandmother would always take Taeyeon with her to see the fine art.

 

The short girl’s grandfather is a bit quiet, like her, and very stubborn. It took Taeyeon some trial and errors with him. He was solely interested in the business world and women. The erted old man kept his secret dirty stash away from his wife, but little Taeyeon was able to find it at the age of 14. Taeyeon was fascinated with what she first saw. The women in them were so provocative, all with so many curves, Taeyeon’s grandfather called them art. It was a little awkward at first when her grandfather discovered her looking through his things. He made her promise she wouldn’t tell a soul, and she did with wide fascinating eyes. Her grandfather learned that day that Taeyeon held the same fascination for women as he did. He ended up showing her the best qualities of a woman. How to appreciate a woman’s natural beauty. Who were fake and who were not. He learned that day that Taeyeon was so into women and didn’t mind it one bit. Not when he was able to talk to someone else about these type of things. His sons never could understand him, but Taeyeon did. 

 

An incoming message caused the game to freeze for a second and Taeyeon let out a groan. She was so close to beating her own record! Taeyeon cursed her phone and whoever decided to text her.

 

What are you doing? I’m bored. – Tiffany

 

I was about to beat my record in Flappy Bird, but someone decided to text me. – Taeyeon

 

Good.<3 – Tiffany

 

–_–  –Taeyeon

 

Tiffany sent a smiley face, and Taeyeon glared at her phone. Tiffany was her dad’s side of the family for Christmas, and by Tiffany texting her, she knows that Tiffany’s not enjoying herself just like her.

 

What’s up? – Taeyeon

 

I’m bored. –Tiffany

 

Duh. Besides that. I thought you said that your dad’s family is fun. –Taeyeon

 

They are. –Tiffany

 

Taeyeon pauses for a while before she replies back.

 

But? – Taeyeon

 

I just… yeah. – Tiffany

 

Do you want to talk about it? – Taeyeon

 

Can you speak on the phone? – Tiffany

 

Yeah. Call me. – Taeyeon

 

Taeyeon waits for Tiffany to call her as she rests on her bed. Her phone immediately starts to vibrate and Taeyeon doesn’t think twice to answer the call. “Tiffany.”

 

“Hey~” Tiffany tries to come off as sweet, but Taeyeon sees through it.

 

“What’s wrong? Why are you upset?”

 

“I just… It’s hard..” Tiffany sighs through the phone, “It’s my first Christmas… without her.”

 

Taeyeon can’t help but sadly smile when she starts to hear the sniffles, “Where are you?”

 

“I…” Tiffany starts, “I’m in my cousin’s room.” Her voice is a few octaves higher, “I told her I wanted to be alone.”

 

Taeyeon can picture it. Tiffany alone in a room with her phone pressed against her ear and tears running down her face. “Where does your cousin live?” Taeyeon says as she gets off her bed.

 

“Close. Why?”

 

Taeyeon quickly slips on a sweater before replies, “Send me the address.”

 

“Tae, you’re with your family.”

 

“They wouldn’t give two s. They don’t like me except for my grandparents. I’m hiding in my room.” She grabs her car keys and a small box, neatly wrapped.

 

“Your parents won’t let you come.” Tiffany tries to reason.

 

“That’s why it's called sneaking out.” Taeyeon opens the window to her bedroom.

 

“Tae…” Tiffany’s surprised that Taeyeon’s willing to leave her own family to be with her, it makes her heart melt.

 

“Send me the address.”

 

Tiffany hears Taeyeon grunt, “Are you okay?”

 

“Yeah,” Taeyeon says through an exhale. That jump actually kind of hurt. “So?”

 

“Give me a minute,” Tiffany says as she pulls back and opens the conversation she had with Taeyeon, quickly sending Taeyeon her location. “Did you get it?”

 

“Yeah. I’ll be over soon okay?” Taeyeon says as she starts her car.

 

“Okay.”

 

––––– 

Next Chapter: Taeyeon confesses?