Chapter 15

What is love?

Ok, so this story wasn't supposed to be this long, but the character build up was necessary.

I just had finals, so you already know how that went..

Enjoy guys!

 

––––

 

Taeyeon skimmed through the lines of the book, something her mother picked up after she went to freshen up at home. Her dad was browsing through the channels provided by the mounted television on the wall.

 

Mr. Kim tiredly sighed after he finally settled on the news channel. There was nothing to watch that suited his taste. He watched his daughter read the same page twice before interrupting, “Your mom told me you didn’t want the talk to the police.” The statement was blunt, but it caught his daughter attention. He noticed how her grip on the book made the tips of her nails look white rather than its normal rosy color.

 

Taeyeon kept skimming through her book and flipped the page. She knew this subject would be brought up the moment her dad stepped into the room.

 

The older Kim knew this wouldn’t be easy. “Tae, look at me.” He’d seen this happen before to one of his students. His daughter let the book rest onto her lap as she brought her attention to him. She looked healthier compared to when Mrs. Kim found her bleeding to death on her bed. It was a sight that Mr. Kim was lucky enough to not have seen, his daughter half dead on her bed. “Who did this to you?”

 

“I’m fine dad.”

 

“Fine?!” Mr. Kim’s voice was almost a shout, “Look at you! Do you not know where you are right now Taeyeon? Whoever did this to you should be getting arrested for assault.” His grip on the remote tightened, any more and the cheap plastic would break in his hand.

 

Taeyeon didn’t talk. She looked down to her book again and began skimming the lines once more, letting Danny’s words replay in her mind.

 

“Taeyeon.” Mr. Kim raised his voice.

 

“David.” Mrs. Kim stepped in and his attention was now on his wife, “Can we speak?” Mrs. Kim gestured to the empty hall behind her, “Outside.”

 

Mr. Kim let out a sigh, “Sure.” He stood and looked at his daughter who was still ‘reading’ with an IV line was penetrating her skin on her hand.

 

Taeyeon focused on skimming the same line over and over again until she heard the door to her room close. With a sigh, she lowered her book and looked at the back of her dad as they talked. She could hear their argument. Her dad saying that they should get the er who did this to her, and her mother saying that he shouldn’t pressure her because of the trauma.

 

She hated it. She hated seeing her parents argue over her, over the fact that she wouldn’t say anything about Danny. But, how could she? She was scared. Taeyeon was scared beyond belief, and no comforting words that her parents had promised her would assure her that Danny wouldn’t come after her.

 

What if she did talk? Was there any guarantee that the police would actually get him? And what would happen if they took this to court? Everyone would know about it. They would know about what Danny did to her.

 

It was bad enough that people actually noticed her once she started to talk to Tiffany and have Danny pick on her, and as soon as word got out about what happened to her… she could only imagine how school would be from now on. Taeyeon just wanted to put this behind her. She wanted to graduate and move on from this entire mess. Maybe she’ll transfer schools? She’s sure her mom will have no problem transfer her to another school, or, better yet, another district.

 

A haunting image of two bright eyes came back to her and Taeyeon let out another sigh.


‘She’s not my friend anymore either way.’