Chapter 7

What is love?

May be busy the next few days, so better safe than sorry.

Enjoy!

 

–––

 

Taeyeon shuffles her way to her last class. It isn't far. It's just right around the corner, but she dreads every second of it.

 

Tiffany’s been missing for a week now, and Taeyeon’s growing worried about the latter. She’s had times where she’s staring at her phone and is tempted to call the bright girl, but every time she does try, she finds herself dismissing the thought.

 

“Tiffany’s fine.” she tells herself, “Jessica’s been coming to school, and she doesn’t look like anything is going on, so Tiffany should be fine.”

 

As Taeyeon turns the corner, she sees a crowd standing outside her classroom. If there’s a crowd, then Mr. Banner must not be inside. Her back makes contact with the wall as her eyes travel to one of the groups of friends she usually sees Tiffany talk to, their gloomy expressions peek Taeyeon’s interest.

 

“I can’t imagine losing my mom.” One of the students says in a hushed tone.

 

“Poor Tiffany.” The other says.

 

At the mention of Tiffany’s name, Taeyeon freezes and lets their words sink in. Her feet automatically walk to the group of students.

 

“What about Tiffany?” She asks, and they automatically shut their mouths, trying to look away awkwardly. “I heard you say Tiffany’s name. Is there something wrong with her?” Taeyeon’s heart is pounding rapidly in her chest as she grows anxious in knowing why they’re whispering Tiffany’s name.

 

“I-” One of them starts, but the girl next to him interrupts. “We didn’t say anything about Tiffany. You must have misheard.”

 

Taeyeon meets the girl’s aquatic blue eyes. The snobby look on the girl’s face makes Taeyeon feel like punching the girl’s face. “I’m not deaf. Now tell me why you’re all whispering her name?!”

 

“Just tell her guys. Tiffany’s friends with her.” A girl with tanned skin and hazel eyes speaks.

 

“You heard what Jessica said. Now shut it.” The blonde from earlier snaps at the girl and Taeyeon steps up to the girl. “Jessica?”

 

The taller girl shuts as she grimaces when Taeyeon confronts her. “Sorry, I don’t speak loser.” Her snarky voice etched with such distaste.

 

Taeyeon feels her blood boil, her fists clench, and her vision turn red.

 

“Ms. Kim. Ms. Bradley! Is there something the matter?” Mr. Banner interrupts the two girls.

 

“Not at all Mr. Banner.” The taller girl replies as she walks away from Taeyeon.

 

“Taeyeon?” Mr. Banner calls when he sees Taeyeon standing there once he ushers everyone in the classroom. Taeyeon doesn’t respond. Her vision is casted down onto the floor as she walks inside the classroom fuming.

 

She wasn’t about to let this slide.

 

–––

 

“Alright, you’re dismissed! Don’t forget to do your homework!” Mr. Banner calls once the bell rings.

 

Taeyeon doesn’t waste time to get out of her seat and walk towards the exit. There’s only one person’s name in her mind, and she’s not about to let anyone stop her from confronting Jessica. As she walks to the door, a figure stands outside of it, purposely blocking the door.

 

Kim doesn’t think twice as she charges on, bumping her shoulder harshly against the snobby girl. As she continues her way to her destination, she hears her name be called from afar, but she pays no mind to it, her eyes have already seen her target walking idly with her boyfriend and his friends.

 

One of the guys makes a joke, and Jessica politely grins. The cold girl is a little anxious to say good-bye and go check on her best friend, but it would be rude of her to interrupt the guys' friendly nature. They’re her boyfriend’s friends, so, any friends of his, makes them hers. As they settle down, Jessica finds the perfect opportunity to tell them that she has to go, but as she opens , someone suddenly grabs her by the wrist, harshly, and turns her to them.

 

“We need to talk.”

 

Jessica’s surprised face quickly vanishes as she composes herself in front of Taeyeon and the others. She can feel everyone's eyes on them as Taeyeon looks at her with these infuriated eyes.

 

“Oh, I'm sorry. I don’t talk to losers like you.”

 

Taeyeon’s fist clench as Jessica’s words enrages her. If Jessica won’t talk to her privately, then she’ll just have to take things into her own hands. “You disgust me!” She spits at Jessica, and the latter is taken aback.

 

“Excuse you?!”

 

“Here you are enjoying your time as if nothing is happening while your ‘best friend’ is having the time of her life.” Taeyeon's voice drips with sarcasm. She doesn't know what she's saying, but if she plays her cards right, then she’ll definitely get an answer from the other girl. And to her satisfaction, Jessica took the bait.

 

“Don’t you dare go pointing fingers at me Taeyeon. Where have you been this past week while Tiffany’s been crying her eyes out over her mom?” Jessica's seething at the other girl’s words, making her blind to what’s really happening.

 

“And who’s fault it that?!” Taeyeon snaps, her face getting dangerously close to Jessica’s.

 

“Shut it, or I’ll-”

 

“Tell them!” Taeyeon’s had enough, “Tell them about my feelings for Tiffany! See if I care! Tiffany’s out there crying about her mom and you’re here worrying about some ‘nobody’ getting too close to her.”

 

The smaller girl pushes Jessica, and she stumbles back.

 

“Some ing best friend you are.”

 

With that, Taeyeon walks away leaving a stunned Jessica.