Chapter 43

What is love?

“So I was thinking–”
 
“And I’m positive I said I’ll think about it.” Taeyeon cut Tiffany off as they sat eating their lunches. Tiffany glared at the short girl in response, knowing very well that Taeyeon would crack under it. “Do I have to go?!” The shorter girl cries in despair as she slumps over their table.
 
“You make it sound like Prom is literally going to kill you.”
 
“On the inside,” Taeyeon mumbles into her arm.
 
“What was that?” Tiffany lifts a sculpted brow.
 
“Nothing.” The scared girl replies quickly. If anything, Taeyeon has learned that an angry Tiffany is a scary Tiffany. So, Happy Tiffany = Safe Taeyeon.
 
There is doubt in Tiffany’s eyes as she looks at the girl for a second longer before looking back down at her phone, “As I was saying…” Taeyeon can’t help but tune Tiffany out. She knows what the girl’s going to be talking about. She’s been talking about it for the last week already. “Oh, Tae! Look at this dress!!”, or “Oh my god! We have to get these dresses! We’d look so cute together.” And then it suddenly dawns on Taeyeon, she’s going to Prom as Tiffany’s date. HER DATE.
 
Taeyeon’s heartbeat speeds up at the thought of being Tiffany’s date. Does Tiffany expect them to be formal with one another as if she were to go with some guy to Prom? Does that mean that Tiffany sees Taeyeon as…. Naaaa… Tiffany would never–– Would she? No, wait, hold on just a second! What is she thinking?!?! Tiffany is her friend!!! She shouldn’t even be thinking about Tiffany in such a manner! But… Jessica did say….
 
“–yeon.”
 
“Huh?” Taeyeon looks at Tiffany and the other lets out a sigh. 
 
“You weren’t even paying attention.”
 
“Yeah, I was.”
 
“Oh really?” The other girl looks at Taeyeon in disbelief. “Okay, then, what did I just say?”
 
“We’re going halfsies if we get those dresses since they’re made from what’s his name and are very expensive. Do we really have to get those dresses? I’m pretty sure there is something at the mall.” Taeyeon replies, knowing all too well that Tiffany won’t be able to say a thing about her not paying attention.
 
Tiffany’s right eyebrow twitches as she takes a long minute to digest Taeyeon’s words. With Jessica, it’s easy to know that she’s not paying attention, but with Taeyeon, it’s a different story entirely. 
 
Before Tiffany can say anything, Taeyeon’s phone rings and Taeyeon quickly picks it up before the other girl can say a thing.
 
“HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!” 
 
Taeyeon pulls the phone away from her ear. “MO-OM! Are you trying to make me go deaf?”
 
Mrs. Kim laughs on the other side of the phone. “Sorry hon, I’m such a bad mom. I totally forgot about your birthday the other day.”
 
“It’s okay, mom. You know I don’t like to celebrate it either way.”
 
“That’s still no excuse for me. I’m your mother, and I’m sure your father forgot as well.”
 
“Actually, he mentioned it before I left to school.”
 
There was utter silence on the other end, “I’m taking out for dinner. Where do you want to go?”
 
“Mom.”
 
“Taeyeon.”
 
“It’s okay, really, mom.”
 
“So, Fogo de Chao? I’ll make reservations. My boss knows someone that can get us a table today.”
 
Taeyeon cursed her stubborn mother. “Fiiine.”
 
“Great! Oh, don’t forget to invite Tiffany. I’m getting her a seat as well.”
 
Before Taeyeon could say anything, Mrs. Kim ended the call, leaving Taeyeon with a dropped jaw.
 
“It’s your birthday?!” Tiffany shrieked.
 
“Was, was my birthday,” Taeyeon says as she puts down her phone. “My mom’s taking me to some steakhouse and she reserved a seat for you.”
 
“When is your birthday.” It wasn’t a question.
 
“I don’t like celebrating it.”
 
“What day, Taeyeon.”
 
Taeyeon let’s out a sigh. “The 9th.”
 
“I’m doing something.”
 
“Tiffany,” Taeyeon warns.
 
“I’m doing something whether you like it or not. No friend of mine is going to not enjoy their birthday Tae, and since I already missed it, I’m definitely doing something for you.”
 
“You don’t have to.”
 
“But I want to.” Tiffany stubbornly counters.
 
“Tif-fan-y.”
 
“Tae-yeon.”
 
Taeyeon’s puffs her cheeks in a ridiculously adorable manner, Tiffany would pinch them if given the chance but she restrains herself. “Okay!” The shorter girl throws her arms up in a defeated manner.
 
“Yes!”
 
–––
 
“I’m not surprised she didn’t tell you.”
 
“I’m doing something for her this weekend to make up for it,” Tiffany replies.
 
Taeyeon’s family and Tiffany are sitting at the restaurant eating. Mr. and Mrs. Kim on one side while Tiffany and Taeyeon on the other side of the table with waiters coming by every so often to offer the types of meat that they are serving. Sarah and Tiffany have been talking to one another for quite awhile now as David and his daughter ate in silence, with David joining the conversation every now and then.
 
“Have you been here before, Tiffany?” David asks as he cuts into his lamb.
 
“My dad likes to come to these places every now and then. He’s more of a carnivore than I am.” She politely smiles. 
 
The atmosphere is sophisticated. Lights are dimmed, wood is carved in such an elegant manner, and everyone is dressed properly. The place screams money. 
 
“What does your father do?” David asks out of curiosity.
 
“He owns part of several hotels along the coast and in South Korea.” Tiffany’s not one to brag about her father’s wealth. It’s his money, not hers.
 
“He must be a busy man.”
 
Tiffany nods and Mrs. Kim takes the conversation in a different direction once she notices Tiffany’s discomfort. Tiffany tells Sarah about Prom and Taeyeon groans in response. The two women go into a conversation of what dresses Tiffany and Taeyeon should wear for the event taking place in a matter of weeks time. Taeyeon can’t help but play with her food, knowing all too well that once her mother starts talking about fashion, she won’t shut up about it, and she definitely knows that Tiffany’s the same.
 
The short girl’s eyes travel to her dad’s and Taeyeon’s dad wags his eyebrows at her. Taeyeon rolls her eyes in response knowing what her dad’s thinking. Ever since he found out about his daughter’s feelings for the girl sitting next to her, he’d tease the short girl about it and asks when she’ll “man up” about it. 
 
Tiffany and Taeyeon’s family enjoy their dinner, and Tiffany thanks, Taeyeon’s parents for inviting her for dinner once they arrive at Kim’s resident. Taeyeon accompanies Tiffany to her car.
 
“Thanks again for inviting me.” Tiffany says as they stand by her car, and Taeyeon shrugs in response, “No problem. I’ll let my mom know.” Tiffany nods and brown eyes meet one another gazing into each other's eyes, trying to read what the other might be thinking.
 
“Saturday.”
 
Taeyeon blinks several times to register what Tiffany just said. “What about it?”
 
“I want you to know how it feels to be at a party and actually enjoy it.” Before Taeyeon could deny anything, Tiffany speaks once more. “Please, Tae. My dad’s going to be in San Diego this weekend and Summer's going to hook me up with some stuff. She knows people. Please~” She knows too well that Taeyeon will say no to any type of party, but she still tries to convince the girl.
 
Taeyeon sighs. “If I don’t like it–” 
 
“You can go straight back home.”
 
“Okay-” Taeyeon’s suddenly crushed by two arms and lips meet her cheek, surprising the short girl.
 
“I promise you won’t regret it!” Tiffany says as she gets into her car and drives away. Leaving a speechless Taeyeon as she softly touches the spot Tiffany kissed goodbye.

 

 

––––

 

Next Chapter: Taeyeon's Be-Late Birthday at Tiffany's house. ;)