Chapter 34

What is love?

It was lunch for the high school, and a certain awkward girl was eating alone, well, her food was off to the side as she played with the necklace wrapped in her hand, a small moon engraved with her name and a heart to the side. Tiffany gave it to her the night in the parking lot after they had said goodbye to Jessica. The bright girl told Taeyeon it was her late Christmas gift since Taeyeon had given hers.

Taeyeon missed Tiffany. She’s been counting the days for when Tiffany gets back. They’ve been texting here and there, but that’s only during the night and when she gets a signal. Apparently, her family rented a cabin out in Yosemite, so the reception there isn’t the best.

Slam!!!

The quiet girl jumped a little out of her seat as a tray of food presented itself across from her. There’s only one person in the entire school who would ever do that to Taeyeon, Jessica.

“So that’s what gets your attention.”

Taeyeon glowered at the cold girl, opting on whether she should just get up and leave without a word or give the ice queen a piece of her mind. The awkward girl was audacious enough to choose the contrary. She’s had it with the annoying girl.“Why can’t you just tell Tiffany some lie about us? You’ve done it before. What’s stopping you this time?”

Jessica returned the look. She’s just as happy about the arrangement as Taeyeon. “She knows you too well.” She spoke through gritted teeth, “That’s something I lack expertise in. She’d know.”

The shorter girl growled. “I don’t need a damn babysitter. Go. Away.” Maybe, just maybe, with Taeyeon’s slowed words, Jessica might just comprehend the meaning of the said words.

“Then tell that to her because she sure as hell didn’t listen to me the first dozen of times.” Jessica doesn’t even know why she promised the bright girl this. It’s torture. Taeyeon scoffed at the response, “I don’t need your help. I’ve taken care of myself all these years–”

“And look where that’s gotten you.” Jessica cuts the girl off. She’s got to admit, Tiffany does have some reason to care about the unfashionable girl’s well-being. Shoot, the last time they left her alone, she got stabbed.

Taeyeon frustratedly exhaled. The cold girl could be so annoyingly stubborn. It irritates Taeyeon to no end. “Whatever.” She gets up with her tray of food and dumps the contents in a nearby trash can, leaving the ultra stubborn alone.

Debating for a second on whether she should or should not follow the short girl, Jessica gets up from the table and follows. Tiffany so owes her for this. “Don’t you dare walk away from me! Kim!!” Her steps are quick as she races to catch up with the other girl. 

As Taeyeon turns the corner, her shoulder slams with another’s shoulder and food is then splattered, causing a groan from both parties. “What the !” There’s a high pitched scream coming from across Taeyeon as she rubs her now sore bum. “Do you know how expensive this shirt is?! My dad brought this for me from Paris!!” Taeyeon looks at the girl and immediately wishes she was back at the table being annoyed by Jessica instead. “I’m sorry.” It’s a heartfelt apology, but the girl should consider herself lucky enough to even receive one.

“Oh, you're going to wish that’s the only thing you’re sorry for when I’m done with–”

“Kim!” Jessica cuts the ultra-spoiled brat as she finally catches up to see Taeyeon on the ground stained with food marks, and a very annoyed girl hovering over her. “Oh, you. What’s your name again? Whitney?”

“It’s Britney.” She spits at the cold girl.

Taeyeon just stays quiet as she gets up off the floor and starts to wipe away whatever food contents she can.

“Details.” Jessica waved her off, “Let’s go.” She pushes Taeyeon in a direction but is stopped by Britney.

“I’m not done with her.”

“Go find another , Whitney. This one’s mine.” Jessica pulls Taeyeon closer to her.

“It’s Britney!! And tell the blind freak to watch where the she’s going! Look at what she did to my shirt!!” Red faced, she motions to her food-stained blouse that Taeyeon ruined.

Jessica rolls her eyes, “Please, that was so last season. I’m sure your uber-daddy got that on clearance.”

Britney was so not going to put up with Jessica. Oh, she was going to put her in her place once and for all. “My daddy-”

“Your daddy, from what McKenzie told me, works as her dad’s . So run along before I make you mine.” Jessica hates it when annoying brats like Whitney try to one up her.

Britney makes a face, “.” She sneers under her breath as she walks away from the scene she created. Students that were watching, turned away from the scenario once Jessica looks to see the onlookers. 

Taeyeon yanks her elbow from Jessica’s grip and starts to walk away. “I’m not done with you, Kim.” Jessica pulls her back.

“ off Jung. I could have handled the spoiled brat myself.”

“As if! The last time we left you to handle things this––” She lifts Taeyeon’s shirt up and the words die out. Scared, Taeyeon quickly smacks Jessica’s hand away and makes sure no one was watching the two go at it again. And before she can yell at Jessica, Taeyeon finds herself being dragged off to the girl’s restroom.

“Let me go, Jung!” She screams at the taller girl as she's shoved into the girl’s restroom.

“Get out.” Jessica threatens the two girls inside the restroom and they don’t waste time to gather their things and run out. Taeyeon tries to do the same but is pushed back into a wall. “When.” The concerned girl holds Taeyeon from escaping.

“Let go.”

“When are you planning to tell her!” She screams at the stubborn girl.

Taeyeon stays quiet before exhaling in defeat. “She doesn’t have to know.” Earning a shake from her response, “Jessica, she’ll blame herself if I tell her.”

“Well, she’ll freak out either way when she finds out!”

“She doesn’t have to know.” Taeyeon continues to reason.

Jessica’s grip on Taeyeon tightens before she releases the girl, walking away from the person that’s causing her so much stress at the moment. “She’s going to blame herself either way.” Jessica talks to the air.

“She–”

“NO! Taeyeon! She’ll find out either way! You can’t hide this from people. Especially not the ones you love!!” The cold girl screams at Taeyeon, and the latter stays quiet. The worked up girl releases a frustrated sigh. “When are you planning to tell her?”

“She’s not-”

“About your feeling for her.” She cuts off the girl who can’t help but deny everything as of late.

“She’s my friend.” Taeyeon’s voice is soft, almost a whisper.

“Well, at the rate that things are going, I doubt that.”

Taeyeon shakes her head, not wanting to hear Jessica’s reasoning anymore.

“Listen to me Taeyeon. Until you can confess to her, and not just your feeling, this relationship that’s going to happen between you two won’t go far. Especially when you can’t even stand up for yourself.”

“I can–”

“Bull!” Jessica pushes Taeyeon back up onto the wall. “Until you can prove to me that you can handle on your own, you better not even be thinking about Tiffany as more than a friend. You understand that?”

Taeyeon grits her teeth but complies with Jessica’s demands. “Crystal clear.”

–––

Yes! I got an upvote, meaning I'm doing good.

Next up: Tiffany notices there's something going on with Taeyeon.