Chapter 33

What is love?

Tiffany was playing with the trinket of her white and rose gold necklace, a sun engraved with her name was traced with the base of her thumb. The girl didn’t pay much attention to her surroundings as she leaned on the railing, waiting for two certain people to finally show up. A smile etched on her lips at the memory of Taeyeon presenting her Christmas gift to her before the short girl left back home after she received a call from her frantic mother wondering where the hell she was.

Summer teased Tiffany for the rest of the night once Taeyeon left, having witnessed the scene before her, an awkward Taeyeon and a blushing Tiffany. “Your girlfriend’s cute when she gets all flustered like that.” Summer had commented when they settled themselves on the living room couch. Tiffany denied her statement, saying that Taeyeon was not her girlfriend. And when Summer asked that if she thought the shorter girl was cute, Tiffany couldn’t form a response right away, leading to more teasing on Summer’s behalf.

A pair of hands softly gripped her waist, and Tiffany screamed once a hushed voice whispered, “Boo.” into her ear. 

“Je-e-ess!!” Tiffany slapped her laughing best friend's arm, angered that Jessica had almost made her pee herself. Jessica knows very well that Tiffany doesn’t like to be scared.

“You should have seen your face!” Jessica wheezed as she wiped away the small tears forming under her eyes. 

Tiffany whined, crossing her arms like a defiant child. “That’s not funny!”

“What’s not funny?” Taeyeon asked as she stepped closer to the two girls, one still frowning and the other trying to calm herself.

“She scared me!” Tiffany pointed at Jessica like a child tattle telling on a sibling. Jessica grinned broadly as she caressed her aching side. “You should have seen her face.” She then imitated Tiffany’s reaction, and Taeyeon smiled. “For once I agree with you, that’s actually pretty funny.”
 
“You guys!” Tiffany whined as her two friends poked fun at her. Sure she’s been wanting for them to get along, but this isn’t the way she pictured it. She doesn’t like that her humiliation is the one true reason why her two friends, that can’t stand to be next to each other, are able to come to a mutual understanding, more like tolerance for one another.

With a huff, Tiffany starts to walk away from the two girls, ending the two’s teasing. They quickly look at each other before silently agreeing that they should end it there, and then before Tiffany decides to ignore the both of them. The girls are right behind Tiffany once they’ve agreed with one another. “We were just teasing Tiffany,” Taeyeon says as she’s the first one to catch up to the quick girl, with a quick jog of course.

“Yeah Tiff. No need to get all butthurt about it.” Jessica adds as she power walks to the other side of her best friend.

“I’m not butthurt about it! You guys are just mean about it.” Tiffany stops walking, and her two friends follow suit and face her. Taeyeon looks at Jessica, disbelief written all over her face. She can’t believe Jessica can be so blunt and crude about what she said. Jessica notices Taeyeon’s look and she immediately glares at the shorter girl as if to tell her to shut it. Taeyeon rolls her eyes at the cold girl and averts her attention to the reason why she’s here in the first place.

“Ok, so we were mean about it. I’m sorry.” Jessica snorts at Taeyeon’s apology. She knows Taeyeon’s not sorry about thinking that the situation at hand was pretty funny. Tiffany clears , causing Jessica to snap her attention to the waiting girl. “I’m sorry.” She mumbles, “I’ll try not to do it again.” And like that, the once annoyed girl is gone, leaving the all knowing bubbly girl they so and love.

“So there’s this movie I’ve been wanting to watch,” Tiffany says as she hangs onto the elbow’s of each girl, walking towards the movie theater. A groan emits from Tiffany’s right and Taeyeon looks at Jessica weirdly. “Please tell me it’s not one of those boring movies you so like to watch.”

“They’re great movies!”

“Me before you?” Jessica questions.

“Yes!”

Jessica groans again. “What are we watching?”

The Space Between Us.”

“Is it the one where the guy is born on Mars?” Taeyeon cuts in.

“Yup.” Tiffany pops her ‘p’.

“You're a hopeless romantic!” Jessica whines. “Why did I agree to come?”

“Because being the good best friend that you are, you’re supposed to. And I’m also going to be leaving tomorrow and you guys won’t see me for the next two weeks.”

“Oh, right,” Jessica says, defeated and not liking that she got dragged into this.

“You’re leaving?” Taeyeon asks. She wasn’t told that Tiffany was leaving tomorrow. The bright girl apologizes for her forgetfulness and explains to Taeyeon that she’s going to be up in San Francisco with her Mother’s side of the family for the next two weeks, so she won’t be at school for the first week they get back.

Taeyeon’s a little upset with the news. Two whole weeks. One whole week at school without Tiffany to be there with her. She’s going to be alone again. It’s not like she minds being alone because she doesn’t. It’s just that she’s gotten so used to having Tiffany around all the time. Just thinking that she won’t have Tiffany around for a whole week is pretty upsetting for the quiet girl.

They walk up to the line for the register and make small talk. Tiffany says that she’ll pay for the tickets, “It’s on me.” The other two are okay with it. It just means that either of them will have to buy the tickets the next time. Taeyeon still gets excited that there will be a next time, though she wouldn’t mind it at all if it were just her and Tiffany.

Once they purchase the tickets and snacks, the girls settle themselves on their assigned seats in the dark room. Some of the movie trailers are on the screen when they sit in the order of Tiffany, Taeyeon, and then Jessica. It’s packed, and those were the last available three seats. All the others were paired up in two’s. 

Tiffany’s excited about the movie, Taeyeon’s a little curious, and Jessica just wants the movie to end already. The next time Tiffany asks to meet up at the mall, she’s definitely asking what they’re doing before agreeing to hang out with the girl. 

Not even half way through the movie, Tiffany’s full attention is still on the screen while leaning onto her right elbow, with her shoulder touching Taeyeon’s. To engrossed with the movie, she doesn’t even realize it. Taeyeon’s attention on the movie isn’t like Tiffany’s. She can’t help but smell the perfume coming from Tiffany, along from the warmth that’s coming from the bright girl. Her eyes do quick glances to see Tiffany’s side profile and then tells herself to stop stealing glances. She glances down and spots Tiffany’s hand resting on the armrest between them.

“When are you going to tell her?” Jessica’s words haunt in her mind again, “You at least owe her an explanation.” Taeyeon bites back a groan and tries to push those thoughts away. She’s not about to ruin this friendship she has going with Tiffany. No way is she going to lose Tiffany just because of whatever feelings she has for the bright girl.

Taeyeon almost jumps up in her seat when she feels a sudden weight on her right shoulder. Her eyes land on a blob on light brunette hair resting on her, out like a bulb. Her first instinct is to push the girl away because, well, Jessica’s heavy, but stops herself once she hears giggling coming from Tiffany.

“Oh god, she wasn’t joking. She did fall asleep.”

The quiet girl blows out a frustrated sigh. She can’t believe what she’s about to do. Is she really going to be nice to the y girl that she can care not even two s about? Then again, Jessica is Tiffany’s friend, her BESTfriend. So, for the rest of the movie, Taeyeon puts up with the numbing weight on her shoulder, all because she’s trying to do good by Tiffany’s side. As the movie nearly ends, all Taeyeon wants to do is push the softly snoring girl off of her. Jessica even had the audacity to snuggle up against her. Oh, how Taeyeon wanted to get up and watch the girl fall to her own doom. Unpleasant shivers went down Taeyeon’s spine as Jessica’s cool breath rubbed itself against her warm neck.

Yup, letting Jessica fall to her misery sounds about right.

As the credits started rolling, the upset girl was about to bolt out of her seat but was stopped by Tiffany’s hand. She wanted the ice queen to get a taste of her own medicine. 

“Wait, let me get a picture first.” Taeyeon looked like she was about to protest, “Please.” Tiffany added, and Taeyeon gave in with a hesitant nod. The cheery girl quickly got with her phone at hand and rushed to activate her camera. Taeyeon glowered at the camera, all she wants is to get up. So, at the first opportunity, once Tiffany counts down, Taeyeon flips off the camera. Tiffany laughs once she sees the end result of the quick second and a half live photo.

There’s a yelp and then a groan coming from the ground as Taeyeon gets up to see the end result. Her shoulder is asleep and she curses the heavy girl’s head.

“What the ?!” Jessica screams at the girl’s who are lost into Tiffany’s phone. Both the giggling Tiffany and snickering Taeyeon, look up to see the fuming girl.

“You know, for a head full of hot air, you’re pretty heavy. I still can’t feel my shoulder.” Taeyeon’s the first one to give into Jessica’s rage. 

Jessica doesn’t know how to react. She’s conflicted between horror and anger. Did she seriously just fall asleep on the awkward girl? Wait. “Did you just call me fat?” Oh, if she was angry before, now she’s pissed. And to Jessica’s livid expression, Taeyeon shrugs her shoulders, amused that she got away with calling the ice queen stupid.

“How about we leave?” Tiffany proposed, stepping between the two girls before someone gets hurt.

“No, she just called me fat. I’ll have you know that I’ve been on a diet these past few months and I’ve been working my off.” Jessica continued to throw a fit.

Taeyeon just shrugged her shoulders and started to walk away. She so was not about to put up with the upset girl. The introverted girl has her limits, letting Jessica sleep on her was already pushing it. The seething girl should be thanking her for letting her snooze on her shoulder. 

The nerve of that annoying ice queen.

–––––

Next Chapter: Taeyeon's alone at school.... with Jessica?