Chapter 17

What is love?

Sorry! I didn't think I'd be so busy, but life's life. It tends to throw you off.

Enjoy!!!

 

–––––

 

 

Tiffany took two deep breaths before knocking on the door, making Mrs. Kim turn around to see a curious Tiffany stand by the door.

 

“Tiffany.” Mrs. Kim looked at her sleeping daughter before standing up and walking towards the other girl.

 

Tiffany stepped back until her back met the other side, letting the warm wall press against her form. felt dry as her nerves rambled on. She didn’t know what to say. And before she could even open , she was suddenly engulfed in a hug.

 

‘W-What?’

 

“How have you been?” Mrs. Kim felt how Tiffany both stiffened and relaxed against her form, making her hold on the younger girl tighten. Tiffany, on the other hand, may have felt confused at first, but once she snapped out the trance she was in, she felt all sorts of emotions trying to rush out. It’s been too long since she had let anyone hug her like this. Sure, Jessica’s mom had hugged her when she saw her at the funeral and her aunts’ and uncles’ had done the same, but this is now, weeks after her mom had left this world. She forgot how good it felt to feel someone else's warmth, a mother’s warmth.

 

Mrs. Kim heard Tiffany’s breathing become shallow and her body tremble as she held her. She could feel how Tiffany buried her face into her shoulder and how Tiffany grip onto her sweater as if it was the last thing she’d do.

 

“I thought-” Tiffany’s voice came out in muffled sobs, “I thought I almost lost her..” Tiffany couldn’t contain her sobs any longer. She let her emotions burst, both from her mom and Taeyeon. She heard Mrs. Kim softly hushing her and say comforting whispers, all while rubbing comforting on her back.

 

It had been too long.

 

“Taeyeon’s a strong girl. She’s been through worse.” A snicker left Mrs. Kim, “She’s just as stubborn as her father.”

 

Feeling a surge of courage, Tiffany pulled away from Mrs. Kim’s comfortable shoulder. “How is she?” Tiffany witnessed one of Mrs. Kim’s warmest smiles. She could see where Taeyeon had received her smile. “She’s doing much better. They’re just keeping her here until her blood transfusion is done because she lost a lot of it. The doctor said we should be able to take her home tomorrow morning.”

 

Tiffany felt like all her worries had washed away, like when a wave washes the shore from any prints on the sand. She felt relieved.

 

Mrs. Kim watched as Tiffany suddenly looked so carefree. She wished she could do more for the younger girl. Mrs. Kim felt as if Tiffany had been through so much, all too early. “Would you like to watch Taeyeon for me? I have to make a phone call.” She tucked one of Tiffany’s loose strands of hair behind Tiffany’s ear as she smiled down to the younger girl, and Tiffany smiled I return. “Sure.”

 

They stepped away from one another, one going down the hall as the other walked into the room. Tiffany quietly stepped inside and sat on the chair Mrs. Kim was sitting on when she knocked on the door. She watched as Taeyeon was peacefully sleeping, and couldn’t help but smile at the scene before her.

 

Taeyeon looked so peaceful. Sure, she had small dark circles under her eyes, but everything else was just as Tiffany recalled. A cute buttoned nose, small rosy lips, fair skin, and blonde locks that could have been made out of gold. She grinned as her eyes settled on Taeyeon’s eyebrows. Tiffany remembers the day when she went over to Taeyeon’s and the girl hadn’t filled in her eyebrows. Oh, how she endlessly because of it. That was the first time she thought Taeyeon looked cute whenever she pouted because of her teasing.


Tiffany missed her. She missed being around Taeyeon.