Chapter 23

What is love?

Tiffany and Taeyeon were at Dairy Queen again, sitting at a table but not like any normal human being would. They were seated with their feet on the bench and their bottoms on the table. It was a fairly cold day for ice cream, but, according to Tiffany, “It’s never too cold for ice cream.” So, Taeyeon let the overly bright girl drag her for some ice cream.

 

As Tiffany ate her sundae, Taeyeon away her vanilla ice cream cone. She went for something simple this time around, unlike Tiffany, for Taeyeon, it’s too cold for ice cream, but she’s not about to admit it to the other girl. She doesn’t want to ruin the mood. Tiffany’s been in a great mood, and Taeyeon doesn’t want to take that away from her. If ice cream makes Tiffany happy, then she’s willing to go through several brain freezes in order to keep the girl happy.

 

“Tae, do you…” Tiffany’s expression falters, “Do you think I’m weird for liking ice cream around this time of the year?” Her normal happy expression gone as she looks at the shorter girl who’s away her ice cream.

 

“We’ve already discussed this. You’re not weird.” Taeyeon mumbles as she continues to eat her frozen treat. She’s then nudged in the ribs and a groan comes out of as she glares at the taller girl who’s pouting. “If I’m crazy for eating ice cream in the cold and thinking your dad is handsome for his age, then you're just as crazy as me for eating this with me and thinking your dad isn’t handsome for his age.”

 

Taeyeon laughs at the younger girl’s fuming response. “Yeah, okay, whatever rocks your boat.”

 

“I’m serious Tae!” The bright girl whines and Taeyeon can’t help but laugh some more. “Okay. Okay.” Taeyeon lifts both hands up as if to surrender. “Geez, you shouldn’t worry about it because like you said I’m just as crazy and weird as you for even accepting to eat this with you while everyone is off drinking hot coffee at Starbucks like some sane people. Happy?”

 

Tiffany bites her lower lips as she tries her best not smile at Taeyeon’s attempt to cheer her up and it works because she can’t help but let that smile slip through.

 

As they continue to eat their frozen treats in the cold, a sudden siren starts blaring from the corner of the street, and both girls look to watch a police car slow down at the intersection before quickly speeding away in the direction away from them. Both girls stay quiet as the sirens start to fade, and Tiffany can’t help but think about a certain tall Latino boy. The tension around is so thick in the air, you could cut it with a knife.

 

“Tae?” Tiffany finally looks at the girl who’s been staring down at her melting ice cream, and the girl hums as she continues to the treat and eat. “How many years do think he got?” Taeyeon takes a big bite out of her cone, not caring whether or not it’ll freeze her brain. After chewing the last bit of the cold treat, Taeyeon shrugs her shoulder. “Don’t know. My parents said that he’s going to be in there for a long while. I think they said it was more than ten years. First offense for manslaughter goes for about ten years, give or take, and assault with a deadly weapon goes for another four or so.” Taeyeon exhales and a small cloud forms around her face, “It depends on what the judge gives him.”

 

Tiffany sets her sundae to the side and she takes Taeyeon’s hand in hers. “Well, if it makes you feel better. You know I’ll always be there for you whenever you need it.” Taeyeon can’t help but feel the swarm of butterflies erupt in her as she squeezes Tiffany’s hand for reassurance. “I know. It goes both ways you know.” Tiffany smiles at Taeyeon’s unannounced words that she’ll be there for her too.

 

“I know.”

 

A phone then suddenly rings; and because they two have the same ringtone, they both look at their phone to see who it is. “We really need to change the stupid ringtones.” Taeyeon mumbles once she sees that it wasn’t her phone that dinged.

 

“Crap! I totally forgot!” Tiffany says as she suddenly jumps off the table, and Taeyeon follows suit. “What’d you forget?” The bright girl grabs what little is left of her sundae and throws it away. “Me and Jessie are supposed to go to the mall today. She’s already waiting at my house.”

 

Taeyeon can’t help but giggle at the girl’s forgetful ways. “Well, then let's get going. Can’t have the ice queen wait any longer.” She says as she heads to her car and Tiffany follows.

 

“I’m sorry–” Tiffany is about to apologize, but Taeyeon cuts her off. “Don’t be. You’ve been with me this entire time. I can share you with Jessica.” A prominent scowl etches on Tiffany’s face as she continues to follow Taeyeon’s side. “I’m not an object, Tae.”

 

Taeyeon notices the change of tone Tiffany uses. “I know. I never said you were.” She says as she opens her car with a click of a button. “Yes, you did. You insinuated it.” Tiffany counters as she opens the door of the car. Taeyeon, who’s already inside, can’t help but roll her eyes. “Okay. Well, I’m sorry if I did.”

 

Tiffany stays quiet. In fact, she doesn’t say a word for the rest of the car ride to her house. Taeyeon tried to start a conversation with her several times, but each time she was met by a cold shoulder. By the time they arrive, Jessica is patiently waiting in Tiffany’s driveway. Taeyeon station’s her car next to Tiffany’s best friend and she locks the door before Tiffany can leave the car. “ Are you going to keep ignoring me?” Tiffany doesn’t say a word as she stares out the window, not looking at Taeyeon. “I said I was sorry, Tiffany!”

 

“Well, you sure as hell didn’t sound like it!” Tiffany snaps back.

 

“Oh my god,” A groan leaves Taeyeon’s lips, “Seriously?”

 

“Yes.” Tiffany hisses with malice.

 

Taeyeon can’t believe her. “You know what?” Taeyeon unlocks the doors, “I’ll just talk to you later. Bye Tiffany.”


Disbelief is written all over Tiffany’s face as she looks at the shorter girl who is waiting for her to get out of the car. She can’t believe how Taeyeon is acting like such a . “Whatever.” With a roll of her eyes, she gets out of her car and goes to Jessica’s. She’s so not about to put up with Taeyeon’s attitude.

 

––––

 

Sadly, almost every relationship has stupid fights like this. Let's see what I have in store for them in the next chapter. :)