Chapter 24

What is love?

“Will you stop that already?” Jessica snaps at her best friend after Tiffany sighs for the millionth time. “The day you agree to hang out with me and that awkward turtle still manages to ruin my time with you.”

 

Tiffany can’t help but feel guilty. Jessica’s right. “I’m sorry Jessie. It’s just… I… I’ll stop.” Tiffany shuts her trap before her best friend throws a fit.

 

Jessica let’s out a sigh and hangs the top she has in her hand back on the rack. “Talk you blabbermouth before I make up my mind and choose to ignore you for the rest of the day.” It may seem rude to most people, but to Tiffany, this is Jessica trying not to let her annoyance get the best of her. Tiffany can’t help but smile.

 

Me and Taeyeon fought,” Tiffany says as she leans against a pillar inside the store within the mall, and Jessica, in return, signaled her to continue talking. “She treated me like some toy she’s willing to share with the next person, and when she apologized for it, she made it sound like she didn’t really mean it.”

 

Jessica was looking at clothes on the rack as she listened to Tiffany talk about her growing relationship with the introvert girl. “How exactly did it start off?”

 

“You texted me and I was about to apologize to her, but she said not to because she can share me with you.” It still upset Tiffany when she thought about it. How could Taeyeon be so willing to share her?

 

Jessica stops browsing through the blouses on the rack. With an amused laugh, she turns to look at her upset friend. “I’m sorry. This too funny, but…  Are you listening to yourself?”

 

Tiffany’s upset look vanishes once she hears Jessica laugh at her. “Are you seriously siding with her?” Jessica waves her hand in response, “I’m not siding with anyone. I’m being serious here, Tiff. Think about it.” Jessica walks to the angered girl, “When was the last time that you got offended because I ‘shared’ you with Megan, or Riley, or better yet Kimmie?”

 

The anger on Tiffany’s face falters as she let her best friend’s words sink in; and once she realizes how she acting like a jealous girlfriend, Tiffany can’t help but blush out of embarrassment. She felt stupid.

 

Jessica laughs once she sees the blush on Tiffany as the once angered girl dropped her head and tried to hide it. “You feel stupid don’t you?”

 

“Shut up.”

 

Jessica can’t help but laugh some more. It had been a while since she last saw Tiffany act like this. She likes it. She likes this Tiffany, not the depressed one who’s been crying over her mother’s loss. Jessica knows it’s part of the grieving process, but she doesn’t want to see Tiffany all depressed all the time, reason to why she really hasn’t minded seeing a happy Tiffany next to a socially introverted girl. “Do you like her?”

 

The moment the words left Jessica’s mouth, Tiffany’s head snapped back up. “Huh?”

 

“Don’t play stupid,” Jessica says as she leans on the pillar next to Tiffany. “Do you like Taeyeon? And I’m not saying like, ‘I like my best friend’ kind of like. I mean like as in that guy’s attractive kind of like.” Jessica says as she points out some cute boy strolling through the window of the shop.

 

“I–” Tiffany felt scared. Was she ready to confess to her childhood best friend that she’s bi? “I… I…”

 

Jessica can’t help but sigh as Tiffany stumbles upon her words. “Tiff.” The sound of her name makes Tiffany shut . “You're my best friend, and, as best friends, we tell each other our secrets and we accept them whether we like them or not. I’m not going to leave you. I’d have to be stupid.”

 

For Tiffany to hear Jessica technically call herself stupid means a lot to her; it means that no matter if she’s straight or not, she’ll always be Jessica’s best friend. So, not trusting her voice, Tiffany nods vigorously.

 

Jessica pushes herself off the pillar and looks at her best friend straight on with her nose wrinkled as she does. “I was hoping you wouldn’t. I really don’t get what you see in her?” Jessica’s genuinely curious and confused, not disgusted. “I mean, she’s yeigh high, flat on both ends, and doesn’t know how to dress. Not to mention she’s as awkward as a turtle.”

 

Tiffany can’t help but giggle at her friend. She understands that this is Jessica trying to understand her, this is Jessica trying to accept the fact that Tiffany might swing both ways. “She has her days.. more like moments, and I really don’t care about the looks…”

 

Jessica lets out a snort as a smile sneaks its way on her. “After your ex's’ and Ms. Introvert, yeah, I noticed.” Jessica stands there as she looks at a happy Tiffany who’s looking at her like she’s about to pounce, making Jessica let out a sigh and stretch her arms. “Come here.” Once the words leave Jessica’s mouth, Tiffany doesn’t waste a second before she hugs the other girl tightly.

 

The two girls spend the rest of their evening talking, laughing, and window shopping. Tiffany buys Jessica something even though Jessica said she didn’t want her to buy her anything, but being stubborn, Tiffany still bought her a cute blouse and a purse that’s out of Jessica’s budget. Jessica was angry at her best friend, but it didn’t last long once she saw the purse.

 

Once Tiffany gets home, the bright girl shuffles her way to her room. She gets ready to go to bed, and as she’s doing so, she can’t help but think about a certain blonde with almond eyes that remind her of the moon. Tiffany looks at the phone that’s on the bathroom counter top as she removes her make up. She contemplates on whether she should call the girl with the eyes of the moon or not, and, in the end, she finds herself unlocking her phone and pressing on a name.

 

“Tiffany.” Taeyeon sounds breathless as she answers the phone on the fourth ring.

 

Taeyeon.. Are you okay? You’re breathing hard.” Tiffany finds it weird and it worries her.

 

“Yeah.” Taeyeon says through a pant, “Just.. running is all.”

 

“But you don’t like to run.”

 

“I know.”

 

“Why are you running?” Tiffany then hears something rustling before Taeyeon’s voice goes back on the line. “I run when I need to think.”

 

“Oh.”

 

“It’s late… Did you need something?”

 

Tiffany can’t help but bite her lower lip. “I uh…” A sigh leaves her lips, “I’m sorry. I was acting like an idiot earlier, and it was childish of me to do so.” Tiffany doesn’t hear anything for a long while. “Tae?”

 

Taeyeon clears . “No. I’m… I’m sorry too. I was acting like an inconsiderate . You know I’m still new to this whole friendship thing.”

 

Tiffany giggles. “I know.”

 

“So, we’re good now?”

 

Tiffany can’t help but grin like a maniac. “Yeah, we’re good now.”


Life was looking better for Tiffany.

––––

What goes up, must come down.

I haven't been feeling well, so there's the explanation to why I've been updating a bit more. My mom said it's my fault I'm feeling nauseous half of the time, and I really can't argue against the contrary. I was feeling better this weekend and I made the choice to not listen to her, but can you blame me? You tend not to think when you're drunk, I sure as hell wasn't thinking when we pulled up to Denny's at 2 in the morning. I have no regrets whatsoever.