Picking Up the Pieces

Capturing His Heart

He pulled a phone (that wasn't his) out of his pocket and showed me a video. It was of Dongwoon and me kissing on the shore. Before the video ended he threw it at the wall, shattering it and startling me.

"Were you going to tell me?"

I nodded, avoiding his eyes.

"When?"

"When you came back from whatever you went to do."

He breathed out loudly as we stood there silently; I avoided his gaze at all costs and he stared at me intently.

"I--" I looked up at him, "I really can explain. It's not what you think.."

"Really? Because by the looks of the video, it's everything I think."

He looked incredibly angry-- more angry than I had ever seen him in our entire relationship. Moments later, he walked out of the room without another word. I could feel my insides turning-- sinking. I couldn't believe I lost two of the most important people all in one day. But all I could do was stand there and let it happen.

I sat down and began to cry. The stupid part was that this was all my own fault. What was I even thinking when I kissed Dongwoon? Oh right, I wasn't. It just happened; it was like I couldn't even control myself. The tears rolled down my face and dripped from my chin, wetting my jeans.

"Tiffany!" Chansung and Jay came to the room to find me crying.

Chansung scooped me up and put me on his lap as I continued to sob. He my back to comfort me as Jay sat next to me patting my head telling me that they were going to solve the problem.

I didn't understand; why were they all on my side? This was my fault.

"Guys," I held back my tears for a moment, "why--" I sniffled, "Why are you on my side? He's the one that's hurt. I'm the idiot of this conflict."

"You're crying, aren't you? You obviously feel bad," Jay said.

"And plus; didn't I promise you that I'd be there for you whenever?" Chansung added.

"I feel like someone should go and comfort Taec," I quietly suggested.

Jay stood up. "Leave that to me."

Chansung patted my head. "Dongwoon is so mindless. I'm sorry. I'll apologize for him."

"Don't. It's my fault for letting it get to that point."

"Maybe we should go for a walk. It'll be good for you to get some fresh air." He helped me up and grabbed my arm, dragging me out of the dorm.

We first walked to the hill that we used to meet up at, but when we saw that another couple had taken that spot, he took me to the garden.

Upon arriving at the opening of the maze, we bumped into Dongwoon and Ji-Eun. When Dongwoon saw me with Chansung his eyes widened with curiosity. He probably wondered why my eyes were so red and why I was with Chansung and not Taecyeon. He as about to ask until Ji-Eun walked over.

"Dongwoon-ah~" She said sweetly.

I still didn't understand. He looked as if he wanted to kill her when she said his name, yet he was out with her late at night. As they began to walk away, Ji-Eun suddenly turned around.

"Hey, Chansung? Could you tell Taecyeon to give me my phone back? Thanks!"

"He threw it against the wall; you might want to get a new phone," Chansung said coldly.

"What?" She grumbled.

I suddenly had an urge to beat her down to the ground. She had basically destroyed my social life all in one go. She was with Dongwoon now, and she had managed to ruin my relationship with Taecyeon. It took every ounce of energy I had in me to not throw my fist at her.

"Are you happy now, Ji-Eun?" I suddenly said.

"Hmm?" She tried to play stupid.

"Are you happy that you've finally managed to ruin my life and take two of the most important people away from me?"

Dongwoon looked like he was going to say something, but didn't.

Ji-Eun laughed, "I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Oh, please. If you're going to be a , make sure you can deal with the consequences. Don't try to act innocent; it doesn't work that way."

"You want to talk about consequences? Okay. You made out with Dongwoon at the retreat even though you were in a relationship with Taecyeon; you drove Dongwoon away from yourself. Who are you trying to blame?" She began to walk towards me.

Dongwoon pulled her back.

"She didn't blame anyone," Chansung stepped in.

"Oh really? I recall her saying that I ruined her life," Ji-Eun snapped at him.

"That only meant that you need to stay out of my business," I said. "I know it's all my fault. I know I shouldn't have done what I did at the retreat, I know that I should have avoided him, I know I know I know." I felt like I was going insane. Without my realizing, the tears of frustration streamed down my face.

Ji-Eun looked like she was going to kill me if Dongwoon hadn't been holding on to her.

"Whatever; it's your deal now," she smirked before storming off.

Dongwoon just stood there, letting her leave. 

Chansung turned me so that I was facing him and hugged me. He took my hand and led me into the maze.

When we sat down I realized that Dongwoon had followed us into the maze. He put a hand on Chansung's shoulder indicating to him that he should leave the two of us to talk.

Chansung looked at me to see if it was okay with me. I nodded.

When Chansung was completely out of sight, he spoke softly placing a hand on my shoulder, "I'm sorry. None of this would have happened if I just controlled myself."

I remained silent.

"I hope you'll understand, though, that... I just really like you." He paused, "I know this is an awful time to tell you that, but I know that you mean as much to me as I mean to you."

"Could I just ask you something?" I suddenly said.

He nodded.

"Why Ji-Eun of all people?"

"Well... On the bus she came and sat with me, and on one hand I was just really mad at you for avoiding me and not talking to me, but on the other hand, I was just really in need of a rebound."

"So you did it in spite of me?"

"Sort of."

"That's lovely." I rolled my eyes.

"Listen. I respect your wishes; whatever you want, it'll happen. I just... don't really know what you want."

"Neither do I..."

"I want to wait for you; I really do... but then I see how Chansung looks at you when you're with Taecyeon."

"What about other girls?"

"You're just one of those people that are hard to find. You don't have to try hard, but you're just so easy to talk to and understand."

I smiled a little.

Suddenly we heard something move the bushes.

"shhh!!!" Someone shushed loudly.

"Your 'shh's are louder than my movements!"

Dongwoon and I looked at each other and then at the bush.

"Umm.... who's there?" I asked.

Nichkhun stumbled out from behind the bush. "Um. Hi." He waved at me shyly, then looked angrily at the others behind the bush.

"Who else is there?" Dongwoon asked Khun.

"Guys, just come out," Khun finally said.

One by one, they all appeared. Jay, Junho, Junsu, Bekah, Victoria and Wooyoung.

"Taecyeon told us to come..." Junho quickly explained.

"Actually, he only asked Jay to come," Junsu added.

"To eavesdrop?" I asked.

They all awkwardly nodded.

"Tiffany, he's actually not that mad. I mean... he wants to kill Dongwoon right now," Jay chirped in, "and I mean, obviously, he's mad at you to a certain degree... but he didn't mean to make you cry. The stupid babo didn't want to seem stupid running back to you, apologizing after throwing a fit. Chansung came back and told us that you were talking to Dongwoon now, and he freaked out. Even though Chansung clearly told him that Dongwoon wouldn't do anything stupid at this point."

I grunted then sighed. "So what do I do now?"

"Go and talk to him when you're done here," Jay suggested. "We'll leave."

Junho coughed.

"We're going to leave, Junho," Jay said forcefully grabbing Junho's sleeve pulling him out of the maze.

"So...." Dongwoon began again.

"I just want you to be happy, Woon-ah. Maybe one day, if it's meant to be, then we'll be together, but as of right now I'm already in a relationship."

"But you said that you liked me."

My heart pounded, "I know. And that's where it gets complicated. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that."

"Because it wasn't true?"

I sighed, "Well now that it's already out there; no, not because it wasn't true. Dongwoon, I really do like you, but I'm also truly in love with Taecyeon. A year and a half ago, if you asked me who I was in love with, I'd answer 'Dongwoon' without any hesitation... but time wears away the magic of love when the two people aren't together-- especially if one person is with another."

"I guess that makes sense."

"Dongwoon, I know how it feels to be in your shoes; I know that sinky feeling your heart gets when the sadness takes over. That's why it's so hard for me to say this."

He took my hand and placed it on his chest. "It's still beating. I'll be okay." He managed to smile a little.

"If you need to talk about it; I know I'm the last person you'd go to, but please, come to me, okay? I still want to be the friend that's there for you no matter what."

He smiled and ruffled my hair. "Thanks."

"And also, if I'm ever making it hard for you, then please tell me."

"I will," He said in his deep voice as he flashed me a smile.

"How about you and Taecyeon make up after this too? I really hate how the two of you don't get along."

He grumbled.

"Please?"

"I mean, I'm okay with it... he's the one that wants to kill me."

"Well you do need to apologize," I tried to reason.

He nodded, "I know."

"Alright; we'd better go back," I said as I got up.

"Wait," he grabbed my wrist and got up as well.

"Hmm?"

Without another word, he pulled me in for a hug. I could tell that the hug was more than just a friendly hug to him, but I still hugged him back. He had one hand on the back of my head and the other arm wrapped tightly around my waist. When we both pulled away from each other, he still held onto me.

"What? Are you regretting agreeing to my terms?" I asked playfully.

"A little," He winced, but chuckled.

I smiled at him.

We made our way out of the maze an to Taecyeon's dorm; Dongwoon came in to meet Chansung as Jay brought me to Taecyeon's room after requesting permission from the faculty member on duty.

The door was halfway ajar; I could hear music blasting from inside-- he was playing the CD I burned for him.

I drew a deep breath before I creaked the door open....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:D kekeke. I hope you liked this chapter~ I hope you'll all continue to comment :) (I love reading those comments, btw)

just because I don't reply, doesn't mean I don't read them...)

haha

much thanks!
yellowbee