Doubt

Capturing His Heart

I stumbled into the restaurant with my parents following me, in my heels, scanning the room thoroughly to find the Oks. When I spotted him, he was already looking at me, with his arm up to get my attention. I, with my parents, swiftly walked to their table, weaving between other tables. It was a casual place, none of us were dressed especially fancily. I was glad that the environment was so relaxed.

"Hey," he said warmly, reaching out to take my hands so that he could lead me to the seat next to him. His soothing voice seemed especially calming today.

I beamed at him, then greeted his parents, introducing them to mine.

After the introductions, we all sat down. At first we were all silent, looking through the menus; Taec, however, was spending those first ten minutes trying to grab my hand and play with it as I flipped through the menu. I must say, he was quite stealthy about it; he kept trying not to draw attention to us.

"So, Taecyeon, what colleges are you planning on looking at this summer?" My dad tried to strike up a conversation.

"Oh, a lot of Ivies like Princeton, Harvard, Columbia," he paused, "and then a few back ups like the UCs."

God, he's so smart, it's not like it'll be a problem for him to get into those schools. I rolled my eyes and smiled. 

"You must be so proud to have such a smart son; Taecyeon, would you mind tutoring Tiffany some time?" My mom asked.

"Yeah; tutor me." I nudged him. He grinned at me.

"He's really not that smart. Actually, he can be quite an idiot sometimes. As his mother, I can truthfully say that."

"Oh, you're being modest. Tiffany's told me about how smart he is," My mom said.

No I haven't. I've barely told her anything about him. Taecyeon looked at me and smiled confidently.

"I didn't tell her anything," I mouthed to him. His smiled suddenly disappeared and he gave me a disappointed look.

The waiter came back soon and filled our glasses with water and took our order.

We were silent for another five minutes or so; in this five minutes, I could see out of the corner of my eye that Taecyeon was looking at me. I tried not to look back to test how long he could keep staring at me for, but I couldn't hold myself back from looking back at him. We grinned at each other.

Our parents then began to chat about adult things. Our dads spoke to each other about business and the economy-- boring things, while our moms talked about travelling and the places they've been, leaving Taecyeon and I to each other.

"Where's your sister?" I asked him.

"She's in Korea, working or something like that..." I played with his cup, "What about yours?"

"She's in America still, working."

"I talked to my sister last night, and she said that she actually misses how you were always at our house every weekend."

I smiled. "I miss seeing her every weekend too."

He grabbed the hand that was closest to him suddenly and warmed it up in his. 

"So, Tiffany," Mrs. Ok began, "How do you plan on spending the rest of the summer?"

Taecyeon began to draw letters and shapes on my hand; it was difficult to concentrate on what she was saying while also trying to figure out what he was writing.

"Errmm," I shuddered from the ticklish feeling his tracing was leaving on my hand. "Studying a lot, and er," I twitched from his drawing. Unable to take more distractions, I pulled my hand away from him, "Sleeping and just relaxing, I guess." I smiled at her.

"Sounds good. I'm sure Taecyeon wishes that he could do that..."

He looked to her and nodded, while pouting.

"God, you're so old and big, stop using your aegyo," she scolded.

He looked to me and pouted to me.

"What she said."

He laughed, "You guys are so similar." He gently took my hand again. "That's partially why I like you so much," He whispered quietly so that only I could hear him. I slapped him on the arm for being so cheesy.

The food came soon enough, and we began to eat and continued to chat. Time passed and before I knew it, our parents were fighting over the check, and then we left the restaurant.

I could see that my parents wanted me to go home instead of hanging out with Taecyeon, but still, I insisted that I showed him around, being that he was only staying for another week and a half. After Mrs. Ok insisted, they finally agreed, telling Taecyeon that I had a curfew of 10PM. He gladly thanked them and waited for our parents to leave in their taxis before he swooped me up and walked to the park across the street from where we stood.

When we got to a bench, he sat down, still holding on to me bridal style.

"So how did I do?" He smiled.

"I think my parents like you."

"I'm glad."

I slid off of his lap and sat next to him.

"So. I'll be your personal tour guide for this next week and a half."

"Sounds good to me," he kissed me on the cheek as my heart skipped a few beats.

"Well then... What are we waiting for?" I grabbed his hands and stood up. "Let's go!"

 

I quickly dragged him to the subway. As we waited for the train to arrive, I was surprised to see Dongwoon standing on the platform as well.

"Hey!" I waved to get his attention as I clung onto Taec with my other arm. He pulled me in closer as soon as he saw why I was suddenly so excited.

He looked just as surprised as I was. "Hey! Wow. I didn't expect to see you here." He walked closer to me. "You guys know each other too?"

Taecyeon simply nodded at Dongwoon, a bit coldly too.

"What are you doing here in Hong Kong?" I asked him.

"Just... vacationing." He smiled.

God. He's gorgeous. "By yourself?"

"Yeah," he looked at the ground.

"Where are you staying?"

"Just at the Hilton near here."

"Really?"

"Yeah, why?"

"I think you and Taec are staying at the same place."

"That's cool. We should hang out or something."

Taecyeon didn't say a word, he simply nodded.

"Oh hey, before I forget..." Dongwoon simply shrugged off the fact that Taecyeon was being so rude. "I'm going to be attending your school this coming school year."

"What?" I jumped a little in excitement. Dongwoon was in my grade, so I was really happy that I'd have another friend to hang out with during class activities. "That's so exciting!"

The train arrived, and we got in.

"So where are you guys going?" Dongwoon asked us.

"The peak. I'm just showing Taec around Hong Kong." As exciting as it was seeing Dongwoon, I really just wanted to spend time with Taec, so I crossed my fingers, hoping that he wouldn't ask to tag along.

"That's cool." The train came to a stop. "I'll catch you guys later, hopefully, I have to go and see someone." He hopped off the train waving and smiling to me.

I sighed, smiling at him.

"What's wrong, Taec?" I turned to him again, still clutching onto his arm.

"I don't like that kid; you shouldn't either."

"Ugh; you don't like any guy that I come in contact with, though."

"That's not true. I just don't like guys that act flirty with you. Plus, that's not even the reason."

"Then what is it?"

"He's not a nice kid, okay?"

"Please explain." I dragged him off of the train and up the stairs to the trolley that would take us up to the peak.

"Just don't talk to him."

"If you don't have a good reason then I'm going to keep talking to him. He's good friend of mine. Through camp, we'd stay up working on projects together until we passed out in the classrooms and plus he'd listen to everything I had to say. He was basically my only salvation until you came along..."

He let go of me. "Then go to him, instead."

"What? Why are you being like this?" I stood there, dumbfounded at the way he was acting. Even with Chansung, he was never this dramatic. Just this morning he was telling me that he loved me, and now he was acting extremely immature.

We bought our tickets to get on the trolley, then we stood at the platform waiting for it-- in silence.

After a few minutes, he sighed really loudly then walked back to me, taking me into his arms. "Sorry." He kissed the top of my head.

I broke free from his back hug and walked into the trolley, taking a seat in the back. He followed silently and sat down next to me.

When the trolley started up, it jerked a little, then continued up the path. 

I leaned towards Taecyeon, still looking out the window. Soon, I found myself resting my head on his shoulder.

He kissed my forehead, then carefully lifted my chin so that I was facing him. He looked into my eyes and apologized again, then without warning, leaned in for a deep kiss.

"I love you." He tried to make up for what he had said earlier, I could tell.

"I love you too," I sighed, "I wish you'd stop doubting that."

As the trolley stopped at the peak, we got off.

Though it took a little while, we eventually returned to our usual bickering selves. We walked around the mall and then hiked a little bit through the trails near the mall.

I took him to a secluded spot off the trail that I had found when I was little.

"I used to come here when I felt lonely at home." I confessed.

He gave me his full attention as we sat down on a giant rock.

"I'd bring my iPod, diary or a book and sometimes even my dog; I'd just sit, listening to music and writing down everything that came to mind. It was really nice... until we moved away from here."

He put his arm around me.

"I'm glad that I could come back to this place for the first time in a while with you, though," I leaned against him.

The sky was already getting dark as we sat there chatting. I had almost forgotten about our little fight this morning-- almost. I really wonder why he doesn't like Dongwoon so much. I mean... he really is a nice guy; he always took care of me during our camp days. Hopefully, one day, I'll find out, because I'd really like to know.

"I think we should get you home. I want to keep my good reputation with your parents."

I nodded.

We backtracked our way back to my apartment smoothly. On the way up the hill to the apartment building, however, he grabbed my hand and pulled me to the wall. He placed one hand on the wall above my head. It really was quite dark-- the only source of light came from the lamp post above us. He leaned in a kissed me.

"We still have a few minutes to kill," He said in his deep voice.

He held me against the wall, at my neck, then lips.

"Wait," I stopped him for a second. "No hickies, my parents will murder me."

He chuckled and started kissing my lips, slowly working his tongue into my mouth. We stood there making out for a while before passerbys began to cough and make noises, to indicate that we were being too touchy.

He pulled away and checked his watch. "It's 9:50; let's get you home."

He brought me home safely and thanked my parents for letting him take me out, and they were quite surprised at how genuinely kind and "well-mannered" he was. I kissed him goodnight and planned with him to go out early the next day.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's an update b/c today is a special day.... it's Taecyeon's birthday!!!

:D

But until January 5th or so, I'll be away on a hiatus b/c I'm going to be enjoying my winter break~~ :)

Please, keep commenting/subscribing as always.

Much love,
yellowbee