This Childish Game We Play

Capturing His Heart

"Why are you here with her?" She looked just as shocked as I did.

"Ji-Eun, what are you talking about?" Taecyeon asked.

"You texted me to come meet you at the garden."

My heart started pounding. Could it be that I was catching Taecyeon in the middle of the act? Would he really be like that to me?

"No, I didn't." He sounded confused as well.

"Then what's this?" She pulled out her phone and showed his text to him

He began to defend himself, but before he could say another word, I pulled my hand away from his and spoke, "Are you really like that, Taecyeon? I thought you said..." I couldn't finish my sentence. I didn't feel the need to.

"Tiffany, you need to believe me. I haven't texted her since last month." 

"Give me your phone," I demanded.

Without saying another word, he dug through his pocket and handed me his phone. I scrolled through his sent messages.

Today: 9:00 PM To: Ji-Eun
Meet me at the garden in five?

I couldn't believe what was happening.

I threw his phone back at him and walked away. "Have fun, together," I said coldly.

"Tiffany, wait!" Taecyeon grabbed my arm, chasing after me. "You need to believe me. I didn't send her a text."

"You really think I'm stupid, don't you?"

"What?"

"You're lying with your eyes open. Clearly, you sent a text at 9:00PM saying 'meet me at the garden in five', and you're going to try to tell me that you weren't here to meet with her? You still want me to believe that you haven't been able to sleep in this past week? Stop kidding yourself." I turned away as I started crying. What a jerk. I couldn't believe I actually believed him for a second there. To think that I was having such a hard time when he wasn't even thinking about me.

He continued to run after me as I speed-walked away. Ji-Eun followed us.

"Tiffany, wait." He was puffing.

The tears continued streaming down my face, I didn't want to look at him. "Go back to her. Don't make her wait out in the cold for you."

"Oppa, can you please explain what's going on?" She sounded so clueless. "You said yesterday, when you and I were together, here, that you didn't care about her anymore, and that now, I'm all that matters. Is that still the case?" She said 'together' as to imply  that they were doing something physical.

I didn't want to hear it anymore, but she continued.

"You said--"

"I didn't say anything to you, Ji-Eun. We weren't together," His harsh tone of voice was so cutting.

She began to cry as well. I just wanted to get away from him, but he was blocking the pathway.

"Move out of my way." I shoved him aside and continued walking.

This time, he didn't follow, he simply went to Ji-Eun. I didn't know what he was saying to her, if he was comforting her or interrogating her, but all that I cared about was getting away. I ran the rest of the way back to my dorm.

When I got to the porch, I pulled out my phone and called Jay to ask him to come to the porch to meet me.

Not long after, he came only to see my face covered in frozen tears. It's a good thing I don't wear make-up or my skin would have been so bad afterwards.

"Oh my God, what happened?" He sat down and hugged me.

"You tell me. I was just in the maze, chilling by myself, then Taec shows up. Then as we make up and walk out of the maze, we bump into one of his exes, who said that he texted her, asking to meet up in the garden. She also said that they met up yesterday and that he told her that she was all that mattered now. He denied it. And then there was this big -fest, and I just left."

"What?"

"He doesn't care about me at all, Jay. Let's face it, I'm just another one."

"Did you check his phone to see if he really did send it?"

I nodded, "Yep."

Jay face-palmed, "Tiffany, that kid..." he paused. "That kid is an idiot. I don't know what he was thinking. This time, he really messed up."

I sniffled.

"Maybe..." He sighed. "I don't want to say this.. because he and I are still best friends... but... maybe you should try to move on."

"I think so too."

Jay hugged me again, running his hands through my hair, as tears streamed down my cheeks.

"I'm getting tired. I think I'm just going to go back an sleep, now. Uh.. Sorry for making you come out this late. I'll just... stop wasting your time now."

"You're not wasting my time. I'm glad you trust me enough to tell this stuff to me."

I nodded. "Goodnight, Jay." He and I got up at the same time.

He waited for me to return to my dorm before he left for Johnson house. 

The next morning, I woke up to a text from Taecyeon.

"Can we talk, please? Just believe me. Give me one chance."

I ignored it. I really just didn't want to deal with him.

 

Weeks passed, and the only times I've ever seen Taecyeon was from a distance in all-school assembly or in the cafeteria. I'd avoid him on purpose, not wanting to stir up bad memories. I'd meet up with Chansung every night at another romantic spot that he scouted out for us especially. It was on observatory hill. There was a bench that was lined up against outer wall of the school observatory. Against the wall, there was ivy growing. It was perfect. The dimness of the spot made it perfect for star watching, but it was still bright enough for me to see him watching over me protectively as we sat out in the cold. Truthfully, because I put so much effort into trying to forget about Taecyeon, there were times in which I really did forget about him. I would even wear the necklace that Chansung gave me everyday.

I never explained to Chansung what happened with Taecyeon. Obviously, Chansung was suspicious as to why I suddenly went to him, but I didn't think it was necessary to tell him what happened.

Then I realized... Valentine's day was next week. 

I was barely keeping track of time, so it had only just hit me that were in the second week of February already. I should probably get something for Chansung, then, huh?

With my limited knitting skills, I was able to concoct a black scarf, with no help from anyone. Needless to say, I was actually quite proud of myself.

Then, on the night of Valentine's day when I went to meet up with Chansung by observatory hill, I bumped into Taecyeon on the porch. I was going to walk right past him, pretending that I didn't see him, but he grabbed my arm.

"Don't touch me." I pulled my hand away.

He held me tightly, not letting me fight against it. I had no choice but to just hug him back.

"You should be spending Valentine's day with me, not Chansung."

"Well you should have thought about that when you decided to hook up with Ji-Eun that week."

"I didn't. You need to believe me."

"Why would I?"

"Because I wouldn't be here, begging you to do so if I wasn't telling you the truth."

But it did take him a while to say this to me. "Why now? After all these weeks?"

"At first it was because Jay told me not to bother you anymore, that I should feel guilty for hurting you. I thought that maybe he was right. That maybe staying away from you would just make you happier. If you were happy, then I would be too. But, it's just been digging a deeper hole inside of me everyday. Now, I just need to make it clear."

I silently looked at him.

"I never met with Ji-Eun in that week." His eyes told me that he was telling the truth, but I was still doubtful. "I don't know where that  came from, or why she was acting that way." He hesitated, "It sounds ridiculous... but, I don't know how that text was sent, either."

"But--"

"Let me finish." He took in a deep breath, "All I know is that I really do like you, and that there is no way that I can prove that to you unless you let me into your life again."

"So you want me to throw Chansung aside again... for your instability?"

He swallowed, "I know it's ridiculous of me to ask that of you."

"I can't do that. I'm sorry. I can't keep hurting Chansung either." I looked down at the wooden floor of the porch. "I'm sorry." I quietly said as I walked off the porch and to the observatory.

When I got there, I saw Chansung sitting on the bench waiting for me with a giant teddy bear sitting next to him. I ran to him.

"Hey. Sorry it took me so long. I bumped into someone along the way," I smiled sweetly at him, acting as if nothing bad had happened.

"It's fine. I was just trying to figure out the constellations as I waited for you." He put one arm around me as I leaned into him.

I handed him the scarf. "I knitted this myself. So take good care of it, okay?"

He unwrapped it and wrapped it around his neck, "It's really soft." He chuckled, "Thanks."

I smiled at him.

"This..." He pointed at the giant bear sitting next to him. "Pretend he's me when you go to sleep. You can hold on to him for warmth when I'm not there to comfort you."

I kissed him on the cheek. "Thank you~" 

He turned his head to face me and kissed me on the lips, but it wasn't a quick peck on the lips. It was a rather lengthy kiss. His lips massaged mine as he slowly pushed his tongue into my mouth. He moved his arm down so that he could wrap it around my waist to swing me around so that I would be sitting on his lap, facing him. If anyone were to find us now, they'd probably be in a very uncomfortable position.

In the back of my mind, I started to think about Taecyeon and how he would feel if he were to stumble across Chansung and I making out. Well.. it's his fault... for not.... holding on to me when he had the chance. But then again.... it was never that he pushed me away himself. I mean... that whole Ji-Eun problem... I don't even know who is telling the truth. I really do want to believe Taecyeon and run back to him... but what if she was telling the truth? That would make him think that I'm okay with his cheating.

Chansung started kissing my neck. I should have been more attentive in this romantic moment, but my mind just wasn't present.

"What's wrong?" He could tell that I wasn't fully there.

"Nothing." I tried to cover up by kissing him, but once the kiss broke off, he persisted.

"It's Taecyeon, again, isn't it?" My heart dropped.

"Mm..." I quietly hummed.

"Why is this kid always interfering in our relationship?" He chuckled.

"I don't know." I lay my head on his chest, hugging his waist. "You must really hate him for always causing problems between us."

He laughed again.

"Let's just... forget about him. It's Valentine's day."

"That's the problem."

I looked at him with wide eyes, confused.

"I can sense that you want to be with him instead of me."

"That's not true." I was shocked. How could he say such a thing?

"Let's face it. You'll always be chasing after him no matter how much he hurts you, and I'll always be chasing after you no matter how much you like him. He..." His voice became quieter. "He will always like you, but have strange issues. Until we all realize how childish this little game is, the cycle will never stop."

"That's--"

"Don't deny it."

I sat silently.

"It's nice, though. When we get this refreshing change, where you come to me instead of him. I want to think that it's because you really can't decide between him and me, but I know deep down inside that it's because you need a fall back, Someone who can recreate the same feelings that you've had for Taecyeon, but I just don't know how. I'm sorry."

I put my hand on his cheek. "Chansung, What are you saying?"

"I'm sorry that I'm not good enough. I really wish that there was a way for you to just like someone more stable and have a happy life. Whether that means you liking me, or Taecyeon being a little bit less drama-prone."

"I do like you."

"No, you don't." He sounded really calm. "It's getting late. Let's get you back to your dorm." He stood up.

I grabbed his hand. "Chansung, wait."

"Sometimes... You don't even know your own feelings, even when they're clear to everyone else."

"But.."

"Come on. Let's not talk about it anymore. It'll just ruin the night." He extended his hand to me.

We walked back to my dorm together. His arms were wrapped around me as I walked in front of him. He kissed me one last time and bid me goodnight. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------

D: I'm sad now, after writing this. But it just... happened, I guess. :)

I hope you'll all comment, because there's more to come... and the more you comment, the more I feel compelled to write it.

Now I must go and do my homework. Thanks for the support!!
yellowbee