Twenty Six

One and Only
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jinri's POV

Although the event has already started for an hour, there is still a glimpse of hope in me thinking that Sehun oppa might appear. I looked at Sera who was sitting next to me will sullen expression. 

"Sera, why do you look so sad?"

"Sera wants appa to come..."

My heart broke a little hearing her words. I wished Sehun oppa would come too, but I guess, Joohyun eonni is still his priority. After a few students finished their performance, the teacher called out for Sera. I tried to cheer her up but she was still sulking.

"Come on Sera, eomma will record and let appa watch alright?"

Under the teacher's encouragement, Sera went up stage to sing the song that she had been practising. I quickly blinked my tears away as I did not want my daughter to know that I just as sad and disappointed as her because of Sehun oppa's absence. 

"Let's clap for Sera. Sera, you did really well. I am sure your eomma and appa will be proud of you."

"Teacher, Sera has no appa!"

Some kid shouted across the room and they giggled. Sera started bawling and as I rushed up to bring her down the stage, she ran away from me, shouting for her father. 

"Sera! Sera!!" I shouted for her to come back but she ran all the way out of the classroom.

I bowed to the teacher and collected all our stuff before chasing after her. The moment I got out, Sera had already ran out of the child care and towards the road.

"Sera! Come back here!"

"Sera wants appa!!" She cried and ran, totally oblivious of the incoming vehicle. 

"Sera!" I shouted, but it was too late. 

Everything happened in a blink of an eye. My daughter rolled up the car and rolled down, landing on the ground with a thud and blood oozing out of her head. My knees weakened as I stood rooted to the ground. I can't believe my eyes.

I dropped everything on the ground and ran towards the accident scene and cried for help.

Sera, you got to stay strong. Eomma only has you.

 

Sehun's POV

"How was my performance?" Joohyun asked. 

I smiled and gave her a thumbs-up and compliments for her outstanding performance. But I lied. I couldn't concentrate on her recital as my daughter occupied my brain. The image of her begging me to attend her Parent's day yesterday kept bothering me, and I felt like a ed up for disappointing her consistently. I wondered how's everything at her event. Looking at the time, I guess it would be too late for me to rush over. 

Joohyun were talking to her parents when Soojung and Jongin rushed to us with worried faces. 

"What's wrong Soojung?" Mum asked.

"It's Jinri eonni..." She paused, "Sera met with a car accident."

My heart seemed to stop for a second. Without further ado, my feet turned towards the direction of the carpark and I ran. 

 

I couldn't breathe normally. All I could think of is to reach the hospital as fast as possible. When I finally arrived at the ward, my eyes turned watery seeing my daughter lying on the bed with bandage over her head and her eyes close. Beside her was Jinri, who held onto her hand tightly, and Baekhyun, who was giving me death glares. 

It hurts me a little that Baekhyun, who is an outsider, was the first that Jinri contacted after Sera got hospitalised. 

"How is Sera?" I asked, in an inaudible voice as the guilt in me got bigger.

"She just had an operation so she won't be waking up any soon," Baekhyun replied, "I have settled the documents for her to stay in the hospital. You don't have to do anything. Go back and find the woman you care, not like you care about Sera and Jinri anyway," He blinked his eyes at me with animosity and talked to me in a voice full of venom, as if telling me in my face that I am a useless father and he can do a better job as an outsider.  

He was wrong. I do care about Sera and Jinri. I do.

"How did she meet with a car accident?"

Baekhyun let out a scoff, "The kids in her class laughed at her for not having a father and she ran out in tears. So tell me, can I blame you for causing this to your precious little daughter? You are such a great dad Oh Sehun."

"Baekhyun, stop it," Jinri stopped Baekhyun

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter