Chapter 9

Destiny's Game (Season 1)

            A month has passed after she moved into Seoul. A lot of things have come up knocking on her doorstep. First she moved into Seoul. Then she was recruited as a trainee in a talent agency. Soon she realized that she’d be moving out of their house and start to live in a door. She met an idol group which she’s treating as her second family. It seems like she’s about to go on a roller coaster ride. 

            “Where are we going?” AeLin said. “We’re going to film a music video AeLin.” SaeKo answered. They were in a van heading somewhere. “A music video?” AeLin said. “Yeah, SHINee’s MinHo would be appearing.” SaeKo said. “Wait, what? What about the other members? Aren’t they going to film the music video with MinHo oppa too?” AeLin said. “What? No, silly. You’re the one who’s going to be filmed along with MinHo. AeLin, this is your music video, you’re debuting soon.” SaeKo said.

            She paused. “What?!” she thought. She wanted to say something but she can’t seem to open her lips. “Are you okay?” SaeKo said and swayed her. She looked at her. “No way. You’re joking right?” AeLin said. “It’s no joke. The songs and routines you have been doing are for your debut single AeLin. The photo shoot that we went to, the photos there are up on the internet right now. And we’re getting a big response out of it too.” SaeKo added. She was really speechless. She didn’t know if she should be happy or be more afraid.

            Soon they got to where they had to film the music video. It was a warehouse looking building. There were a couple of people outside that greeted them as they arrived. “Annyeong hasaeyo, my name is Kim  ChangMin and I’m the director this is our PD Jang MaiLin. Please come in. You can resume further preparations inside.”  The man said. “We’re glad to be here. This is AeLin.” SaeKo said. “Oh, what a young one.” Their PD said as they walked into the warehouse.

            “AeLin!” a familiar voice she heard as they got in the warehouse. “AeLin over here.” It said again. She looked around. “Oppa!” she said and rushed to him. “It’s been a long time since we last saw each other. How are you?” he said. “MinHo ah, you’re here already.” SaeKo said. “De.” he replied. “Well, I better get AeLin’s things into her room. Please take her there in a couple of minutes or so, okay?” she said. “De.” he replied.

            “Want to go around first?” MinHo said. “De, let’s go!” AeLin said. MinHo showed her a couple of things in the building and let her meet a couple of people he knows. “So, how do you feel?” MinHo said. “Hm?” she replied. “AeLin, you’re filming a music video, you’re going to debut soon, how do you feel towards this?” he rephrased his question. “You know what, I don’t really know what to feel.” She answered and gave out a sigh. She looked at the staff fixing and preparing the stage and stuff.

            “Isn’t this a bit too quick? I mean, I heard all of you went through years of training and me; I just went through a month. Isn’t that a bit unfair for your part?” she said. “Hm, so…you’re saying this because you’re worried of what other people might think?” MinHo said. “Hm, yeah, sort of.” She answered. “Hm, you’re really amusing.” He put his hand on her head. “Like I’ve told you before there’s no need to worry. They said SM hasn’t been this sure of a debut of a talent ever since BoA sunbae was set to debut.” MinHo said.

            “You’ll be fine. Criticism and antis are normal for us singers. They are also sources of strengths for our side because they can see our flaws and upon knowing about those flaws we try to improve them. Just think of it like that. And besides, we’re always here for you. Your fans, they are your strength too. They’ll always be there for you no matter what. You’ll get that feeling once you step up on stage and hear their cheers.” He added. She looks at him and they stare at each other for quite a while. “Uhm, ah, well…I guess I need to take you to your dressing room.” MinHo said disrupting the moment. They headed to the dressing room. “Thank you, oppa.” She said and gave him a warm smile before she went into the room.

            As she closed the door he smiled. “Oppa…” he said and then walked away and got ready himself. The concept of the music video was more like the concept of SHINee’s Replay. Where AeLin would be playing SHINee’s roles and that she’ll be shaken by this ‘oppa’, which would be MinHo, she likes. To shorten the explanation, it was like a female version of their concept. The song she’ll be singing is somehow similar to SHINee’s Replay in terms of the beat, rhythm, and message but the lyrics and transitions we’re slightly different and was altered so that it’ll be fit to be sung and danced live on stage by a solo singer.

            After preparations were done, the filming began. The title of the song was Replay, but without the Noona neomu yeppeo thing. It was just purely Replay. The title eventually had two meanings; one is that AeLin is actually replaying the song in her own version, and two is that she’s also replaying this song once more to not only the Shawols but to other people as well with a different feel to it. The producer, director, staff, SaeKo, and MinHo helped her through the ordeal.

            He style was also similar as to what SHINee wore when they debuted. She didn’t wear any skirt or overly cute / y clothes. Her fashion was more like her fashion off stage. She also wore her signature cargo shorts and some cool rubber shoes that were given to her by a sponsor brand, Reebok. Of course other accessories were put unto her by her stylist. She had two outfits to wear; the other outfit was flashier than the other one. She wore a hoodie and wore skinny jeans. As for her shoes, she remained loyal to her rubber shoes.

            She worked hard on filming the music video. When afternoon came the rest of the SHINee members came and visited. When they got in AeLin was filming her dance routine for the 3rd time with the back-up dancers. They decided not to bother nor let her know they were there. “Hyung.” MinHo saw them. “MinHo.” Onew said. “Don’t tell her we’re here. We’ll leave soon anyways.” He added. The 5 of them watched her from her left side of the set.

            “She’s really doing well.” MinHo said. They continued to watch her. As she danced AeLin managed to get a glimpse of the left side. She saw a quick glimpse of TaeMin and Key standing there watching her. “They’re here?” she thought but not showing any expressions of what she’s thinking. She doesn’t want to go over again. She continued her lyp synching and dancing. “She looks professional already.” Onew said. “Earlier, before the shoot started, she was really bothered about how people would react to her.” MinHo said.

            “She didn’t know whether she wanted to go through with this or not.” He added. They all listened and got their attention back to her. “Hm, that girl really.” TaeMin said and gave a smirk. Moments later AeLin was given a break. She looked at where she saw Key and TaeMin but they weren’t there anymore. She rushed to MinHo’s dressing room. “Ah, AeLin.” MinHo was sitting down on the couch resting. “Oh, maybe I was just seeing things.” AeLin said. “What is it?” MinHo said. “Well, earlier I think I just saw Key oppa and TaeMin while I was filming.” AeLin said.

            “Oh them? They were here.” MinHo said and stood up. “Where are they?” she said excitedly. “They already left. They still had schedules to go to.” He said and approached her. “Oh.” She looked disappointed. MinHo put his hand on her head again. “They wanted me to tell you to do your best. They said they can’t wait to see the finished music video.” MinHo leaned down. She was slightly shorter than TaeMin so she’s shorter than MinHo too. He gave her a warm smile.

            They days go by quickly as it was a week before the month of October. AeLin was set to debut around the 2nd week of October. Teasers of her music video were all around the internet. Pictures and slight information about here were also all around. She was also training hard and was always in and out of the dance room. She was also assigned a stage name. Although she was fine with using her real name SM wanted to call her by Lin. The final preparations for her single were almost done as well.

            But amidst the road to the start of her journey she still takes time to attend, yes, school. Even though she’s to be an idol star she’s still a 14 year old girl who needs to listen to Math and Science. She arrived in school with SaeKo driving the van. It was said that she’ll be her manager but it was still tentative. In her school uniform she entered the gates of her school 15 minutes early. As she walked in a couple of students looked at her and started to murmur.

            She just ignored them and continued to walk to the main building. Soon after more and more students who saw her started to group together and murmur. “What’s happening?” she thought and looked at her arms and body. “Do I have something on me?” she thought. “AeLin!!” HyeSun called out from their classroom window upstairs. “Ah! HyeSun!!” she replied. “Come here quickly!” HyeSun said. “Okay.” She replied and ran to their classroom. As she passed through the hallways everything seemed different to her.

            “Strange.”She said. “HyeSun.” She arrived at their classroom. Her classmates who were busy buzzing and talking to each other stopped and looked at her. She looked at them confused. “Why is everyone looking at me like that? Is something on me?” she said and looked around once more. “Come here!!” HanEul grabbed her to her seat. She sat down and looked at them. “What’s happening?” she said. “AeLin, everyone’s going frantic over this new artist to debut in SME!!” HyeSun said. “And she’s a girl!!” HanKyul said.

            “Do you know anything about her?” HyeSun said. “They said she’s been with SHINee a lot too!” HanKyul said. “A new artist?” she said. She paused for a moment and looked at the floor. “It’s you isn’t it.” HanEul said. She looked at them and smiled. “Ehehe, what if I told you I was?” she answered. The 3 looked at each other. “Ahh!!” HyeSun gave out a squeal. “Shh!!” HanEul said. “Really? It’s you?” HanKyul said rather loudly. “Keep it down!” HaneEul said. “Well, I’m not quite sure too.” AeLin answered.

            “But you’ve been in the system since last month right? Isn’t that too quick?” HanEul said. “Well…I’ve thought about that too.” Then she showed a rather troubled expression. “Ah, uhm, well…you do know you’re garnering a lot of positive responses. A lot of people really liked that dance teaser of yours.” HanEul said. “When will you debut?” HanKyul said. “I’m not sure yet. They haven’t told me.”