Chapter 29

Destiny's Game (Season 1)

            “Hello.” She bowed and greeted them. “LIN!” her sister went frantic. “I told you she was a big fan.” Khun said. Nica went all over her. “Finally a girl!” Mei Yi said. “NichKhun, she’s a pretty one. Good job.” His father said. “She’s not my girlfriend.” NichKhun said. “No? Why not?” Nica said. “You’re not together with my brother?” Nica said to AeLin in English. “I’m afraid not.” AeLin smiled. “Well, we do have an extra room in the house, Nica show her where it is.” Mei Yi said. “Okay.” Nica got her bags and went upstairs. “There’s really no need to bring my bags, I’ll bring it myself.” AeLin said. “No no, it’s my pleasure.” Nica said.

            Khun’s sister was actually older that AeLin. She also has a husband already and he is working at that time. AeLin settled in the room then went downstairs for lunch. While going down the stairs her phone rang. “Hello?” she answered in English. “Ah! Xien Fei, ni zai nar? (Ah, Charmaine, where are you?)” AeLin said. “Thailand? Wo ye zai Thailand. (Thailand? I’m also in Thailand.)” She added. “Ni hao ah? Wo bu hui ni men de zuo ah. (How are you? I don’t know what you guys have been up to.)” She talked and talked and finally put down the phone. “Sorry, it was a classmate of mine.” AeLin sat down the table.

            “Ni zhi dao? Zhong wen hua? (You know the Chinese language?)” Mei Yi said. “Dui ah. (Correct.)” she replied. “Hao ah hao ah! (Good good!)” Mei Yi said. “Come on now, let’s eat.” The father said. They all ate and finished. AeLin decided to take a little rest first before going out to see Thailand. Afetr a little rest they were all out. Nica, NichKhun, and AeLin were going to parks and stuff. They ate outside and went home straight after some shopping. AeLin actually bought CDs of SHINee, 2PM, 2AM, and herself. “Why did you buy those?” Nica said. “As a present.” AeLin replied. “To who?” “To someone special.” AeLin replied.

            Soon they head back home. “AeLin, you know. You are the 1st girl that Khun brought home.” His mother said. “Really, well it’s a pleasure to be the 1st one.” AeLin said. “How old are you?” “18.” She replied. “Oh, you’re so young.” Mei Yi said. “You know what, my last wish for Khun now is for him to get married already. Nica has married already and this time I want grandchildren from him.” Mei Yi said. “AeLin, pls. can you be the one to be the daughter-in-law I’ve been wanting?” Mei Yi held her hands and looked into her eyes.

            “Mrs. Horvejkul.” She said. “Call me mother.” Mei Yi said. “Mei Yi, I’m sorry but I can’t be your son’s wife.” AeLin said. Mei Yi was turned down. “I’m sorry. I like NichKhun sooo much. He was actually my 1st love in Korea. But then, I still have decisions to make and sadly I already have someone in mind.” AeLin said. “But don’t worry Mrs. Horvejkul. There are a lot of girls out there who wants to be your son’s wife I just know it.” She added. Mei Yi looked at her and hugged her. “I understand. It’s such a shame that someone like you can’t be with part of our family.” Mei Yi said. “I can be part of your family, as a sister.” AeLin said.

            Then they finally arrived home. She checked her phone and found messages from Korea, Seattle, Boston, and Los Angeles.

            “I already arrived in Seattle! I’m well and fine! How about you guys? How’s your day with your family?”– Park JaeBeom from Seattle, USA

            “I’m here in Boston. My old friends are here to meet me in the airport. Dried mangoes are on their way!”– Ok TaecYeon from Boston, USA

            “It’s cold here in L.A.! Many have changed since I was here! My relatives are taking me to lots of places tomorrow!” – Key from Los Angeles, California

            “I’m back in DaeGu! How you guys doing?”– Kim JunSu from DaeGu, South Korea

            “Busan is salty as usual!”– Jang WooYoung from Busan, South Korea

            “Just got home. How about you guys?”– Choi MinHo from Incheon, South Korea

            “SHINee, 2PM, Lin! We’re all back home! Stay healthy always!”– Onew, South Korea

            “Dried mangoes!”– Hwang ChanSung, South Korea

            “The water is great!”– Kim JongHyun, South Korea

            “University is going wild!”– Lee JunHo, South Korea

            “Take care always!”– Lee TaeMin, South Korea

            She smiled seeing the messages. Soon she fell asleep. The next day they went to zoos and beaches. They took a lot of pictures and bought some souvenirs. Of course the day ended so fast that they headed back home. “When will you be going to the Philippines?” Khun’s father said. “Tomorrow night.” Khun answered. “You will be taking Nica with you right?” “No. She’ll be in a different flight. But we’ll be leaving at the same time.” Khun replied. Then his father looked at AeLin who was walking in front of him.

             “Is she really a Filipina? She seems pale.” His father said. “Yes father. When I met her at first she was tanner than how she is now. She just became pale because she doesn’t go outside often in day offs. If she does she’d always wear long sleaved clothes. She doesn’t like to show off much skin.” Khun said. “Oh, how old is she?” his father replied. “18. She’ll be 19 this October.” Khun answered. “So young, but she’s tall. Why not choose her?” Khun’s father said. “Choose her?” Khun said. “To be your wife.” “It’s not as easy as you see father.” Khun said.

            “That girl, she might be talented, cute, funny, and would be the perfecr girl for me but I can never end up with her.” Khun said. “Why not? It’s clear that you like her and she likes you. Come on Khun, it’s the one thing me and your mother are waiting for before we pass away.” His father said. “She likes me and I know that. And through those years we spent together I also learned to like her. But I only like her as a close friend, as a dear sister. She has someone else and I can see that. We can never be.” Khun said.

            “Father, I asure you, I will get married sometime, but not with her.” Khun said. His father just smiled. “Okay, I understand.” His father said. The next day they started packing up and did some last minute shopping. “When was your reunion again?” Khun said. “This Friday.” She replied. “Ohh…” he replied. Soon it was evening. Everything was packed and they were ready to go. “Father, mother, we’ll be leaving.” Khun said. “Okay then, take care the 3 of you.” Mei Yi said. “We will. Thank you for letting me stay.” AeLin said. “Don’t worry about it. You’re family.” Mei Yi said. “I’ll be leaving my kids to you mother and father. I’ll be back by Thursday.” Nica said. “Okay then. Goodbye!” her father said.

            Then they rode a taxi to the airport. They were sent off by fans in the airport. They were inside the airport and Nica’s flight was already there. She was going to Manila, Philippines for a convention. “So I guess here’s where I leave.” Nica said. “Yes. Take care my sister.” Khun gave his sister a hug. “Goodbye Nica unnie. I hope you enjoy Manila.” AeLin said. Nica gave her a big hug. “I’m so glad to have met you.” Nica said. Then she was off. Soon Khun and AeLin’s flight came. They also boarded the plane and took off.

            After 5 hours or less they arrive at DZR International Airport. It was the International Airport of Tacloban City. When AeLin left it was still a domestic airport. “Ommo, Tacloban has changed.” AeLin said as soon as she went out of the plane. She looked at the sea and could see high buildings constructed on the island across. “It’s been a while since I came here.” AeLin said. Then they got their baggages and went outside the airport. When they got out they were surprised to see fans greeting them.

            They were shouting and screaming their names. “It really is amazing how news travels faster than airplanes.” AeLin said. There were many fans waiting to see them. AeLin smiled and so did Khun. Many girls were melting at Khun’s cute face. They were walking and walking and rode a taxi. They were arranged to sleep in Leyte Park Hotel Resort. It was a hotel along the sea and had a swimming pool too. They arrived and employees immediately accompanied them. They settled in and slept for a while.

            As they woke up they decided to tour the resort for the rest of the day. It was almost sundown when they woke up. “It’s really nice here in Tacloban. I have gone to the Philippines a couple of times but not here. We always end up in Manila and Cebu.” Khun said as they saw the view of the San Juanico bridge. “Probably the best place in the Philippines if you ask me.” AeLin said. “It’s the best because you lived here.” He added. 

            It was Thursday the next day. They woke up at 6:30 a.m. They took a bath and changed clothes. They went outside for a little glimpse of the sea. The resort was by the sea and had a swimming pool too. “What a nice place.” Khun said in English. “De.” She replied in Korean. “I missed going here.” AeLin said. Then for some reason her facial expression went from happy to worry. “What’s with the face?” Khun said. “I just remembered something.” She sighed.

            Khun just looked at her. Then one of their phones rang. “Is it mine?” Khun said taking his phone out. “It’s mine.” AeLin got her phone out and saw there was a message. She was seemed surprised seeing the message. “Who’s it from?” Khun said. She didn’t answer for a while. “AeLin.” Khun said. “Huh? Ah, who’s it from? Uhm, it’s from a classmate.” Then she smiled and immediately kept her phone immediately. “We’re going somewhere. Come on let’s get ready!” she said excitedly.