Chapter 2

Destiny's Game (Season 1)

Time passes by quickly. 3 days have already passed. It was time for them to go. AeLin has spent one whole day with her classmates going on a field trip and taking lots and lots of pictures. They were at the entrance of the airport. “Goodbye AeLin.” Some of her classmates weren’t able to come because they had some things they had to do. “Goodbye guys. It’s been fun and surely memorable. Let’s see each other again someday okay?” AeLin said. Her parents were also saying goodbye to friends they made in their place. She gave them a last big smile and then she entered the airport leaving her friends and all she knew behind.

In Seoul everything was going fine and nothing was really new. “They’re retuning today?” a man said in a suit and seemed to be inside an office. “Yes sir.” Another man who seems to be the first man’s assistant answered. “I can’t wait to see her.” The man said and smiled. Meanwhile hours later their plane came. “Ah! Those symbols! It’s so cool that I can read and understand them!” AeLin said. “Duh, you’re Korean, you dimwit.” OkHyun said. “Ya!” AeLin said. “Now, now. We just arrived in Korea nad you’re fighting already?” AeEul said. “They’ve been fighting over sill things ever since we got into the plane.” OkRyo replied.

When they got out of the airport they went to their house that was eagerly waiting for their return. “I remember this house.” AeLin said as she once again met the same house where for 4 years she lived in. “Of course you would. Don’t tell me you’re already having memory loss like an old lady.” OkHyun said. “You!” AeLin said and got into a fight with her brother once again. They got in and they started to unpack. AeLin went to her room. She looked around and saw herself as a little girl again running around inside that room with all the old stuff she had before.

She spent some time inside the room unpacking and all. When she got out she noticed that only OkHyun was there. “Where’s everyone?” AeLin said. “Umma went out first to get some groceries. Appa went out to buy some other things. They’ll be back in a while.” OkHyun said and got his coat. “Wait, where are you going?” AeLin said. “I have work to do, remember?” OkHyun said. “Well, uhm, okay. Bye. Visit us again okay?” AeLin said. “Yeah I will. You’ll be fine here alone right? You’re a fighter anyways.” OkHyun looked at her and smiled. She smiled back. “Bye AeLin.” His oppa said. “Bye! Take care!” OkHyun said then got out of the house.

“I’m alone.” She said and paused for a while. “Might as well watch TV.” It was around 10 a.m. when they arrived in their house. “I wonder what kind of shows they have here?” she said and turned the TV on. “As expected…Korean channels.” She said and browsed through the channels. Since she didn’t really pay attention to what was happening in South Korea, she didn’t know any artists or such in South Korea. She was more of an OPM (Original Pinoy Music) type when she was in the Philippines.

Then she stumbled upon this English Channel named Arirang. She watched that channel until it turned 12 p.m. “Where are they?” she said and got up. “I guess I’ll heat up some ramen here.” AeLin went to the kitchen and heated up some water. Their house was a bit big since her parents earned quite a lot with their jobs. Her parents were working for 2 separate companies. They were talent agencies. AeLin was not really interested with the entertainment industry in Korea so she didn’t really know a lot about her parents’ work.

After heating the water and put it into the ramen she went back to the couch and watched TV again. Then this commercial came.

“Want to be an idol star? SM Entertainment, the sole reason for the existence of DBSK, Super Junior, Girls’ Generation, and their latest production SHINee, is now holding local and worldwide auditions. The auditions are scheduled to be held every Saturday starting next week, September 12, 2009. So, what are you waiting for? Come and show off your talents!”

There the commercial ended. “SM Entertainment? So that’s where my father works. So they produced real big stars huh.” She said and continued eating. Sha OkRyo was a part of a famous local band as the vocalist in their time before. After fame slowly faded he applied for a job in SM Entertainment where he ended up being a head in managerial staffing and he also helped compose lyrics and produce songs for some of the SME talents. He’s also a well known vocal trainer for the trainees. After a while she saw a music video aired by a show named Pops in Seoul.

“From the producer of Rain, JYP Entertainment has done it again with their beastly idol group 2PM. They have once again topped our charts and it seems like its all going good for them.”

“These are talents from JYP Entertainment? My mother works there. Haha. What a coincidence seeing groups from both agencies my parents work at.” She said and once again continued eating. Shae AeEul was from Busan. She was part of a dance crew who won a competition in their local area. The prize was a trip to Seoul for a week. While in Seoul she tried out for a couple of agencies and got accepted in one agency. She and her dance crew became one of the famous dance crews in Korea in their time. Soon she volunteered to become a choreographer in a different company and soon she was taken by JYP Entertainment. She also served as a dance trainer for the trainees and was also the head of the managerial staff in JYPE.

Soon, AeLin fell asleep without even turning off the TV. She was still tired from waking up early in the morning and the long trip to Seoul. “AeLin…AeLin…wake up…”a familiar sound came. “Huh?” she thought. “AeLin ah, wake up!” it was her appa. “Ah, what is it?” she said still groaning and rubbed her eyes. “AeLin ah, fill up this form for me.” Her appa said who seemed to be in a hurry. “Huh? What’s this? Where’s umma?” she said as she saw the form. “It’s…for school. Fill it up okay. Umma…she didn’t come yet?” OkHyun said. “Nope. She didn’t.” AeLin answered while she started filling up the form. “There you go.” AeLin said and handed him the form. “Okay, I’ll be going now. I’ll be back soon don’t worry.” Her appa said and rushed out the door.

“What’s with him?” she said as her father got out of the house. Then minutes later her umma came rushing in. “Ommo, what’s wrong?” she got surprised after seeing her umma rush in. “Here, can you fill this up for me?” her umma said and handed her a form. “What’s this?” AeLin asked. “It’s…for school. Go on and fill it up.” Her umma answered. “How many schools am I going to attend in anyways??” she thought and just filled it up. “You know, appa also made me fill up one of these things.” AeLin said. “Are you enrolling me in 2 different schools? Or did he just forget to let me sign another one?” she added.

“What? Your appa made you fill up something earlier?” her umma said. “Yeah, he left just minutes before you came.” She answered. “Oh no; I’ve got to go. Are you done?” her umma said. “Uhm, yeah. Here you go.” She handed the form over . “I’ll be back soon okay? Here are some snacks I bought. Munch on them if you want. And also, can you do me a favour? How about cleaning up for me while I’m gone? Please? Thank you AeLin!!” Then her umma rushed out of the house just like how her appa went. “What’s with those two? Sure is weird today.” AeLin said and got up.

She started cleaning up with the TV still on though. “Annyeong hasaeyo.” It was AeLin’s father who got in to the office with that man earlier. “Annyeong. Have you got her to sign?” the man said. “De, Soo Man-nim.” OkHyun replied and handed him the form. “Ah, very good. I guess we got to her first. JYPE hasn’t called yet.” Lee Soo Man, the CEO of SM Entertainment then got the phone and called up JYPE. “Annyeong?” the other line answered. “We got her form, and she’s approved.” Soo Man said. “Agh, shinja?” the other line said.

“Yup. Sorry JinYoung.” Soo Man said. “Her father sure is great. Congratulations.” It was JYP at the other line. “Thank you. Hope this doesn’t change anything between our company relationships.” Soo Man said. “Don’t worry. We had a deal.” JYP said. Then both of them put their phones down. “Congratulations OkRyo-ssi. You have done it.” Soo Man said. “De. Kamsa hamnida.” OkRyo replied. Meanwhile at JYPE, just moments after they put down the phones AeEul came. “Annyeong hasaeyo.” She greeted as she came. “She’s already under SME.” JYP said. AeEul became speechless.

“Really? When did they get her form?” she said. “Just moments earlier.” JYP said. “Mianhe. I wasn’t fast enough.” Her mother bowed. “No, it’s okay. Anyways, it was a fair bet.” JYP said and smiled. Later that evening her mother arrived in their house. OkHyun was there in their house. “Umma, welcome home.” OkHyun said as he saw her. “Hm, you’re here?” her umma said kinda pissed off as she saw OkRyo who was cooking dinner. He greeted her with a smile. “Stop smiling you jerk.” AeEul said and went up to their room.

“Ommo. What’s with her?” OkHyun said. “Both of them have been acting weird lately.” AeLin said as she sat on the floor at the living room. “Why? What happened?” OkHyun said and sat on the couch. “Well, they were really in a hurry to let me fill-up some papers.” She answered. “Papers? For what?” AeLin said. “They said it was for school. I couldn’t read the entire thing any longer because they were in a real hurry.” She said. “And what was odd was that they let me sign it separately. Am I going to 2 schools?” she added. “Two? Wait, no you’re not going to two schools.” OkHyun said rather seriously.

“Huh? What do you mean?” AeLin said. “Those papers you signed weren’t for school.” OkHyun said. Then their umma came down from the stairs already changed. “You sure are smart my boy.” OkRyo said. “You made her do it?! Ommo. So who got her first?” OkHyun said. “Can’t you just tell?” OkRyo said and gestured him to look at their umma who was glaring at him. “Hehe.” He just went back to cooking. “Wait wait!! What’s happening?? I don’t get what you’re talking about!!” AeLin said.

“AeLin, you’re now part of one of South Korea’s most famous talent agency, SM Entertainment.” OkHyun said.