Chapter 23

Destiny's Game (Season 1)

“Hey, we’ll be going out for a bit okay? Be careful here okay? Don’t let anyone you don’t know in.” YiBum said. “De.” They all replied. “AeLin.” TaeMin went to her. “What?” she replied. “Well…uhmm…” she was listening. “…uhmm…nevermind.” He said and went. “Hyung! I’ll go with you!” TaeMin said. “What? Why? I’ll be going to a department store.” “I’ll just go with you. I need to buy something.” He said. “That was weird.” AeLin said.

Then the games started again. After 30 minutes the 4 came back from where they went and it seems like the players got tired. “It’s already 10:34 in the evening.” JunSu said. They were all scattered in the living room. “So, I heard that AeLin wasn’t going to sleep here.” ChanSung said. “Yeah she’s not. We played sports earlier and the loosing pair would have to sleep outside in a tent in the cold.” Key answered. “And the two of them lost?” Jay said. “Obviously.” Khun added teasing Jay again.

As the 4 came TaeMin went straight to his room. “Okay then. I guess it’s off to bed for all of you.” SaeKo said. “Noona ah!!” the boys whined. “Come on now go wash up.” She said and let them get up. “Women.” MinJae and YiBum said. “I heard that.” SaeKo said.  Moments later they gathered once again and said their goodnights. “TaeMin ah, don’t do anything rash. Many things can happen in one night you know.” Jay said. “Hyung!” JunSu replied. “Khun hyung will be awfully jealous.” WooYoung added.

Khun just smiled. “Well then goodnight. ChanSung and WoouYoung would be sleeping here in the living room anyways. They can watch over your tent just in case.” Jay said. Then they went to their rooms. TaeMin and AeLin went outside in the cold night. “So cold.” TaeMin said. They went inside the cramped tent. They had bed foam on the ground to make it softer and warmer. They also have 2 blankets and 4 pillows. It was really cramped but it was full of pillows so it was still comfy.

They had a battery powered lamp light inside with them hanging from the top of the tent. They turned it on. “That side is yours and this is mine. Okay?” TaeMin said while fixing his pillows. AeLin didn’t reply. She started ignoring him. She lay down and stayed silent. “What’s wrong with her?” he thought then also lay down. They forgot the light was still open. Their shadows can be seen from outside. SHINee and 2PM went to gather at the living room at ChanSung and WooYoung’s signal.

When SaeKo and YiBum were setting up the tent earlier, they asked them if they can put a hidden microphone in the tent. A hidden cam would be too noticeable in the tent so they decided to just put a microphone there. They were listening to their conversations in the main house. After some moments of silence one of them spoke. “TaeMin ah…” AeLin started. “Hm?” he replied. “Are you awake?” she said. “No.” TaeMin answered. “Oh, okay.” AeLin replied.

He can sense the disappointment in her. “What are they trying to do? A comedy show? Of course he’s awake.” WooYoung said. There was silence in the tent. Then they saw TaeMin sit up from the shadow. The TaeLin couple had totally NO idea their hyungs and oppas were watching them. “Ah! Ah! TaeMin sat up.” WooYoung got excited. “Crazy.” Jay replied. “Shh!!” the others said. TaeMin saw AeLin lying down, facing the other side. She noticed him sit down. “What’s wrong? I thought you were asleep?” AeLin said then faced him.

“Uhm…well…I just thought…” he replied then nodded. “This is getting interesting.” Key said. “So this is what it’s like when they are alone.” JongHyun said. “Hm?” AeLin replied. “I was just wondering if ever, you enjoyed this day; your 18th birthday.” TaeMin said. AeLin paused. “Of course I did. What’s wrong with you? You’re acting weird.” AeLin said. “Look who’s talking.” TaeMin replied. “Ya, what do you mean by that?” then she sat up. “Another fight? Oh come on.” JunHo said.

TaeMin was nodding and didn’t reply. They heard her sigh. “Okay, I’m sorry. I was just tired.” She said and held Taemin's hand. He raised his head and saw her nodding as well. In the main house MinHo was seated far at the back in a high chair while the others sat on the floor. He was just watching there. Then TaeMin got something from under his pillow. It was a small box wrapped in plain pink paper. He handed it over to AeLin. “Here you go. Sorry it’s late.” TaeMin said.

It was his gift. “What was that?” JunSu said. “A box? A box?” Key added. “A gift?” Onew said. “TaeMin didn’t buy AeLin any gifts for any her birthdays. This is a big change.” He added. They were getting excited. NichKhun went to sit with MinHo who was in deep thought. “What do you think will happen?” NichKhun said. MinHo didn’t answer. Khun just smiled. She was speechless. “Oppa…” she said. She somehow feeling relieved. She felt REALLY happy.

Meanwhile the SHINee members minus MinHo were getting hella excited. JunHo seems to be getting excited as well. “Why? What’s wrong?” NichKhun said. “This is the 2nd time we actually heard AeLin call TaeMin oppa! This is a miracle!” Key said. Then she set aside the gift and held both of his hands. “Th-Thank you oppa. I’m really happy, since all of you are here to celebrate my 18th birthday with me.” said with a big smile. TaeMin was looking away and was clear he was embarrassed.

The people inside the pent house were going crazy. “Can this get any sweeter?!” ChanSung said. “Noona should’ve put a hidden cam there!” TaecYeon said. “Look at that Khun. AeLin is being caught by another boy. He’s getting jealous!” JunSu said. Khun just looked at them and smiled. “It seems like we have another rival up our sleeves MinHo.” Khun whispered to MinHo. MinHo was a bit pissed but didn’t show it. He didn’t reply. “Sorry.” TaeMin said. “For what?” she replied. “I’m so sorry I made you do that dare earlier with MinHo hyung.” TaeMin said.

She took back her hands and nodded. She got a bit bothered, thinking of what happened that morning. TaeMin also nodded. Silence. “What’s happening?” JunSu said. “AeLin.” AeLin looked up to him and was about to say something. As soon as AeLin raised her head, TaeMin quickly hugged her. The word ‘AeLin’ was the last thing they heard inside the tent. TaeMin happened to bump the microphone and probably broke it. All they can do now is watch the shadows.

The people in the main house had mixed feelings; shocked, stunned, surprised, happy, anxious, and rather excited. MinHo was stunned. He had his eyes wide open. “A bold move TaeMin!” Jay said. Soon they settled down. “I-I don’t know why but I felt like doing this.” TaeMin said. TaecYeon was grunting frustrated over the broken microphone. TaeMin felt his heart beat fast again and probably, AeLin also felt it. She was surprised and blushed. She didn’t know how to react.

Then TaeMin broke out of the hug. He looked at AeLin carefully. “TaeMin…” AeLin said. “I don’t know what’s happening to me right now but…” then slowly he got closer to her. He had his one hand caressing her face. “Ah! Ah! I should be stopping this!” Key said. He got up and headed to the door. “No no no no. We don’t even know what they’re going to do.” JunHo grabbed him and let him sit back down. It was clear that MinHo couldn’t take any of it longer.

He got up and went to his room. Khun let him be and didn’t stop him. TaeMin tilted her head up a little. Through all this the people inside the main house noticed the light inside the tent getting fainter fast. “Agh! No! Don’t run out of juice now!” ChanSung said. The closer TaeMin went the fainter the light. She closed her eyes, he did so too. They can hear their heart beating. Their faces were just inches away from each other the lights went off. “NOOOOO!!!” they all said. “What happened?” JunSu said. “The batteries ran out I guess.” TaecYeon said. “It was almost there!” ChanSung said.

“I have to check on them!” Key stood up again and headed for the door. “Let’s sleep. We can ask them tomorrow.” Onew grabbed him and dragged him to their room. “Hyung ah…” Key said. “Come on come on let’s go sleep.” Jay said. Soon they all went back to their rooms. Khun went in MinHo’s room to check up on him. “Too much for you to handle?” Khun said as he opened the door. MinHo was laying down, staring at the ceiling. He looked at Khun as he opened the door. “Hyung, one thing is for sure. I’m not going to lose to you. ” MinHo replied.

5AM. The SHINee members woke up. MinHo woke his Onew hyung up. JongHyun and Key were in the kitchen looking for something to drink. “I’m worried about TaeMin and AeLin.” Key said. “Umma, don’t worry. If ever they did kiss, TaeMin won’t go any further than that can he?” JongHyun said. “Speaking of TaeMin, is he joining us?” Onew said. “I guess he is.” Key said. They were gathered in the kitchen when they heard the door to the backyard slide open and close.

“TaeMin.” Key said. There was that awkward atmosphere between them. ChanSung was already awake while WooYoung was still on the floor sleeping. “I’ll go to the room first.” AeLin said. MinHo followed her. “AeLin ah…” MinHo said as he leaned on the door. AeLin faced him. “Hm?” “Did TaeMin do anything to you last night?” he said. “Huh? Last night? He did.” AeLin answered. He froze upon hearing that. “How could TaeMin do this???” MinHo thought with thoughts of what he did to her came into his mind.

Then AeLin went back to what she was doing. SHINee + AeLin went outside to jog. SaeKo, YiBum, and MinJae went back to Seoul that early morning as said in the sticky note they left on the refrigerator. AeLin and TaeMin kept their distance. MinHo stayed close to AeLin’s side. Inside the adjacent house the other 2PM members woke up. “Where is SHINee?” JunSu said as he got into the main house. “They went for a jog.” ChanSung said. “I guess it’s only us here.” JunHo said. Then some members went to cook breakfast.

Soon SHINee and AeLin went back. They were tired and sweating. TaeMin and AeLin still kept their distance and brought with them that awkward feel. “Welcome back. We cooked breakfast for you.” TaecYeon said. They decided not to ask them now since is just early in the morning. Since the table was too small for all of them to fit in, some of them ate on the floor watching TV. Onew, WooYoung, MinHo, AeLin, and JongHyun were the ones in the floor.