14

Just Because
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]Not too late...[/CONTENTID1]
[CONTENTID2]

Gossips about Eunjoo's and Jungkook's relationship faded away in a few weeks or so, and to that the former was very grateful for.

 

The moment Jungkook pushed his mother and sister away that (unfortunate) day was the moment an older male version of the Jeon boy came tumbling in. He introduced himself as Jungkook's older brother, Jeon Jungho. Before older brother Jeon got to invite Eunjoo over to dinner with them, Jungkook had already barged in his room and pulled his girlfriend away. For a moment there, she thought they were going to run away from the household, but Jungkook stopped in front of another older male version of himself. That dinner, she had the opportunity (not really) to meet the whole Jeon family.

 

A week later, Eunjoo decided to lounge in her house although she usually designated this day at Jungkook's house or with Baekhyun. Because this was one of the few days her mother was home, she stayed. And, because she wasn't very confident in meeting Jungkook's family again. Besides, she did beat him already, so she really had no other purpose in coming over.

 

Which was why she was surprised to see Jeon Jungkook looking dandy as he was sporting a black-and-white striped shirt with a black cardigan tied around his neck and a matching black men's short, in front of her house on a dimming afternoon. Of course her mother welcomed him with open arms for dinner. It was then that Jungkook just realized that Eunjoo's father was gone and he did not open up a question about that when they were up in her room after dinner. "It's just fair I meet your family when you've met mine.", he explained although Eunjoo didn't need one.

 

"How was it again?" Baekhyun snickered and teased as he and Eunjoo were out and about Monday after classes two weeks after the family-meeting spree.

 

Eunjoo took a week or so before she gained enough courage to tell her best friend what happened. Of course she should've expected that the Byun boy would laugh. And he was laughing at her again. So, she resolved to grumbling under her breath.

 

She and Baekhyun were walking a different way from their bus stop. It almost reminded her of the way she took when she hung out with her boyfriend, but somehow being with Jungkook was different from when she was with Baekhyun.

 

"I missed you, so much." Baekhyun whispered, his gaze elsewhere and his hands by his trouser pockets. It was when he met eyes with Eunjoo did she notice that the simple sentence surprised her.

 

Eunjoo hung her head low, watching as her white sneakers got into harmonious step with Baekhyun's fancy black leather shoes. "We rarely did hang out nowadays. I'm sorry."

 

For a moment they were quiet, the 'zoom!' of passing cars and 'ding!' on opening store doors the only ones passing through their silence. Eunjoo thought the road they were taking was familiar, but she knew she wasn't with Jungkook when she passed by there.

 

"Dad came back. He said you can come over anytime this month." Baekhyun turned to the left and Eunjoo naturally turned too, not exactly following but moving through muscle memory.

 

Candy stores. Ice cream parlors. Western food-serving restaurants. Delicacy stalls. Resto-bars. Soju-selling tents. Wet markets. She knew this place. She and Baekhyun used to always eat here every-day after school during middle school. But, recently, they go there when Eunjoo's braces adjustment was near. Of course Baekhyun knew her schedule, his dad is her dentist after all.

 

"Which is why I'm spoiling you with food today." Baekhyun stopped in front of Eunjoo. He leaned forward, their noses just inches away and looking so natural but feeling so different. "Pick your poison, Joo-joo."

 

Eunjoo brightened up. Who would even dare not brighten up at the thought of food and binge-eating and more food? (a/n: I do coz I'm a chubby person who's dedicated to getting a flat belly and arms and thighs through eating much less than a normal person's food serving huhuz but nvm me, on with the story!!!)

 

"I'll start with tteokboki as appetizer, please!" Eunjoo cheered, her eyes twinkling and Baekhyun relished in his close observation of the sparkle in them.

 

"Tteokboki it is. Lead the way, Princess." Baekhyun bowed gently, their distance slightly diminishing but he was controlling himself to stop at a reasonable distance. His best friend wasn't as available as before. He knew how men felt when their damsels are in the presence of another touchy knight. This was especially since Jungkook and Eunjoo met each other's parents.

 

He always believed that couples meeting the other's families had smoother sailing from then on. He wouldn't want to be the protruding rocks they avoid around. He wouldn't want to be the iceberg to their Titanic.

 

"You coming, Baek?"

 

Eunjoo. He knew Eunjoo for long. He was with her through everything. He was with her when she had crooked teeth. And he is still with her when her teeth were slowly straightening to perfection. It makes him wonder if he was still going to be there when his father starts to remove the metal brackets and the colorful bands securing together the wires in her teeth, when she finally realizes that Jungkook really has made such an impression in her life.

 

Would he still be significant when her tongue brushes along her teeth only to find no more metal and no more pain? Would he still be able to buy her her favorite Oreo milk tea when he had no more reason to bring her one?

 

"Yeah. I'm coming."

 

+++



"Mom said to invite you over to dinner again." She grumbled, her scowl hidden with her head hanging low. Eunjoo swears her mother was more elated if Jungkook goes to her house than her reaching her home safely.

 

Jungkook shrugged, accidentally causing his hand to tug Eunjoo closer to him. Their shoulders brushed and remained sticking as their hands were limply connected in between their squished bodies. "I have nothing to do anyways."

 

They boarded the bus almost as soon as it came and their hands quickly disconnected when they sat beside each other. Eunjoo took the window seat and Jungkook the one beside the narrow hallway. Before settling, the boy reached up to move the direction the air con was pointed to, because Eunjoo told him how cold it was and as a boyfriend it was his duty to assure his girlfriend wasn't freezing with the measly air conditioning.

 

When they reached their stop, Jungkook went out first and waited until Eunjoo was out. He lead the way to Eunjoo's house now that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter