30

Just Because
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]Days of doom...[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]

 

"Keep my music alive, Hobi." Yoongi slurred with his face over-dramatically faking of pain.

 

Hoseok wound his arm around Yoongi, "I will bro. I'll keep your swag bringing life to the world."

 

"It's just two days." Eunjoo pointed out.

 

It's been a week since Jungkook had decided to take cram school with Eunjoo and Taehyung. Ever since, the trio had been together after school dismissal but it's always the ex-couple that remains together at end of cram lessons since they lived in the same town while the alien was on the opposite town

 

A week from now, Eunjoo and all the other senior high school students are about to embark a dangerous quest to see if they are fit enough to survive in a new level we mundanely call as college.

 

Apparently, military physical exams decided to mingle with the rest of college entrance tests and so this took a lot of participants in surprise, particularly Yoongi and Jungkook.

 

"Seriously," Namjoon popped a cheesy chip in his mouth, wiping the powder onto his trousers as his eyes focused on his reviewer. "I'm actually more surprised that Yoongi hyung is applying in the military. If you give up after one push-up, hyung, music will be there to catch you when you fall."

 

"What about me, hyung?" Jungkook asked, reaching over Eunjoo's arms on the table for the bag of chips he and his pals were feasting upon. "What if I don't get into university?"

 

"I don't know." Namjoon plopped onto his back, taking his book above the air as he read on it while lying down on the bench. "If I do succeed on being a producer, I am taking Seokjin hyung as my vocalist."

 

Hoseok brightened up then went from leaning onto Taehyung to hugging Jimin. "Then I'm taking Chim here as my partner! A vocal and a dancer! Bonus!"

 

"What? No, Jimin's mine. You're the only one who can put up, rather relate, with Taehyung's weirdness. Besides, he's as good as a vocal and dancer as Jiminie is." Yoongi complained, his satoori accent showing up a little bit.

 

"Do you not like me anymore, hyung?" Taehyung dramatically wailed, flailing his arms at Hoseok.

 

Meanwhile, as the boys fought away what they were going to do if they weren't accepted to their dream school and course, Jungkook turned his attention towards Eunjoo who somehow managed to still study amidst BTS's chaos.

 

"I guess my hyungs don't care about me at all." Jungkook sighed, leaning his on his palm which was propped onto the table by the same arm's elbow while he was facing Eunjoo.

 

"Uh-huh," the girl distractedly replies, crouching further onto the table as she scribbled down quick solutions in a scratch paper. As always, she ran her tongue all over her bracketed teeth then bit her lip.

 

Jungkook sighed, but a small smile lingered, "I guess you don't care about me either."

 

He noticed the chipping of her nail polish, a matted maroon. His lips slightly quirked at that because he couldn't imagine Eunjoo ever breaking school rules about the female students not allowed to wear nail polishes.

 

He noticed how her hair was braided onto the crown of her head, showing off her forehead and her ears and her nape with a few baby hairs breaking away from the tight and clean hairstyle. But then he remembered how Jimin texted (reported) to him that their female classmates decided to do that on Eunjoo's hair. To say the least, he was satisfied with what he was seeing.

 

He noticed, for a few times already, that Eunjoo's braces were red. It really took a lot in him to not kiss the hell out of her when he first noticed the color she picked.

 

Realizing that he was shamelessly staring, that it only took a matter of time till his friends notice that and for it, Jungkook began to poke Eunjoo. His reason: so he wouldn't be the only one staring. And maybe because he was secretly vying for her attention.

 

"Hmm?" Still out-of-focus, Eunjoo reluctantly averts her attention from her reviewer then towards Jungkook. "Did you need something?"

 

"I think you're the one who needs help, not me." Jungkook states, his eyes glinting with teases but his mouth only slightly quirked up. "How's the tutoring with Hana noona?"

 

"She's okay." Eunjoo takes a bite out of her sandwich then continues, "Hana unnie is still cranky around me, but at least I'm learning something from her."

 

Jungkook hummed in reply, eventually reaching over to take a bite from Eunjoo's sandwich. The latter turns back to her reviewer as she naturally takes hold of Jungkook's orange juice and then sip from it. Then they went back to their own businesses, with the boy staring again and the girl furiously studying.

 

From the background, they heard the rest ganging up on Yoongi and that they really couldn't believe the lethargic black-haired boy would even survive physical training for 48 hours. Yoongi can't even stand long in the dance studio for a minimum of 1 hour.

 

"Then maybe I'll just go produce music if you're all so unbelieving that I'm training to be in the Military." Yoongi scoffed. And once again they were into the battle of picking vocals, somehow forgetting that they should be fighting over the golden maknae most importantly.

 

Just as Jungkook was near going lost in the swirls of Eunjoo's brown strands (he didn't know whether to thank the classmate who braided Eunjoo's hair or not for making her attractive as ever), he coolly regains himself when Eunjoo turned her head to face him.

 

"Why are you staring?"

 

Her wide inquiring eyes made her look so innocent and ephemeral, that Jungkook couldn't help but chuckle. Just as he mutters a small "Nothing," his friends call in his attention.

 

"Which producer will you choose, Jungkookie?" Hoseok proded.

 

"Oh, so now you ask me what I want? A while ago, hyungs aren't even paying attention at me." Jungkook rolled his eyes, blindly taking back his orange juice and drinking the rest of them.

 

When the school bell rung, Jungkook coolly stands up, "I think it's best if we all just stick together even during college, right?"

 

He then walks away, hearing from afar of praises for him from his hyungs. But, he didn't notice the stare Eunjoo kept on him.

 

+++

 

He was staring, once again. But this time, he was staring at Eunjoo's intact braid and Taehyung's hand atop Eunjoo's hair-free shoulder.

 

"Let's go," Eunjoo hurried ahead, leaving Jungkook and Taehyung behind. The former sent a blank look at his hyung before hurrying up ahead to catch up with Eunjoo.

 

Once outside and on the way to cram school, the three students huddled closer each with the girl in between. The two boys thought that with Eunjoo wearing a skirt, despite her cotton black leggings and maroon leg warmers (again, Jungkook took note of how the color of the fabric was in the family of reds), with her exposed legs made her more vulnerable to the biting temperature.

 

Two hours later they were dismissed from cram school, with Jungkook scowling secretly because Eunjoo insisted that she sit in front when Jungkook didn't like the first row. So, in the end, he was in the middle row, sitting beside Taehyung while staring holes at the back of Eunjoo's (braided) crown. Looking closely, he realized that her classmate put a few red decorative clips here and there, pushing Jungkook near the edge.

 

After brief farewells, Taehyung slips away, saying weird things as usual. Jungkook stares back at his retreating hyung before turning to walk with Eunjoo.

 

He purposely walked behind Eunjoo, with their shoulders pressed together. Jungkook smiled at the thought that she wasn't pulling away because she was feeling cold.

 

Seeing that there were no busses parked, Jungkook and Eunjoo decided to wait by the bus stop. They remained standing, courtesy of Jungkook, as the boy thought that sitting on cold metal chairs - what with Eunjoo wearing a skirt - wouldn't really be any warmer than when they are standing instead.

 

They were quiet. But that was so because Eun

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter