24

Just Because
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]X means no...[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]

 

"I loved you more than just being your best friend, Eunjoo. I'm not sure if I still do, but, it, I'm also happy with Hana noona." Baekhyun's fingers curled around the material of the sleeves of the jacket Eunjoo wore.

 

 

Baekhyun kept his eyes locked with Eunjoo's shaking ones. He would like to ask her something, hoping that maybe thing would change for the better. But, at the same time, he didn't want anything to change. So, he loosened his grip and let go of Eunjoo.

 

 

"I was happy for you," he said as he approached the door for the driver's side, "I thought you'd be happy for me too."

 

 

The door slammed softly and Baekhyun drove away at the same time the rain poured harder.

 

 

By the time she had come to her senses, Eunjoo was soaking wet. The hood of the jacket she wore can't serve its function if it was as soaked as she was.

 

 

Realizing that she shouldn't continue to stand and do nothing under the pouring rain, Eunjoo started to limp to the direction of her house.

 

 

She sniffed and her braces simultaneously all the while hugging herself to at least bring some warmth into her body. A few difficult steps later, she began to shake. Not because she was cold, but because tears mingled with the rain running down her face.

 

 

As she limped along the wet sidewalk, Eunjoo cried silently. She wondered to the times she called Baekhyun a horrible best friend jokingly, when in reality she was worse to him.

 

 

She didn't mean to not notice his feelings. But she didn't blame Baekhyun for not explaining what his gestures really meant.

 

 

As she broke down silently under the harsh drop of rain, Eunjoo continued limping with the cold air numbing her senses.

 

 

She couldn't distinguish whether the strong rain or her teary eyes blurred her sight of the road ahead. Despite the harsh winds, she could hear herself pitifully keep her crying quiet although nobody was sane enough to be outside to hear her cries.

 

 

Her head bowed lower with her upper teeth biting at her lower lip roughly. In her head, her apologies intended for Baekhyun were cowardly and insufficient.

 

 

She limped past stores and customers inside seemed to have pitied her physique under the rain but nobody dared to run into her and pull her to a warmer place.

 

 

The grip on Jungkook's hoodie couldn't provide the warmth she longed for, but the body parts that the thick, sagging clothing covered were warmer than the other parts exposed to the cold environment. To this she sobbed harder. At the positive part of her mind she tries to lighten herself up, 'Baekhyun shouldn't have left me when it started to rain, with an injury nonetheless. Horrible, but I'm more than he.'

 

 

Taking a deep breath in between her cries, Eunjoo raises her head up, squinting her eyes to prevent the rain from coming to her eyes. Her lips were shut tight but quivering. Even she pitied herself when she saw her reflection from the store windows.

 

 

Feeling her face go number, Eunjoo bowed down again and continued to weep.

 

 

With her shoulder shaking and the thick hoodie and cast holding her down with their intensified weight, Eunjoo didn't even notice how she was no longer being abused by the rain.

 

 

Only when she heard a voice and felt warmth engulf her ears, did she notice the umbrella held up for her. "What are you doing here? Didn't you bring your umbrella like your mom told you? Where's Baekhyun? Stupid, why didn't you go under some roof instead of walking under the rain? You know your cast is not supp- Eunjoo?"

 

 

Relief,

 

 

She was relieved that the rain was starting to soften judging by the sound of rhythmic drops on the umbrella protecting her.

 

 

She was relieved to feel a warmer presence beside her, but she was afraid to get his clothes wet as hers was.

 

 

She felt relieved to see Jungkook's stoic face scolding at her.

 

 

But, she felt most relieved when he brought her into his hug. His one hand still held on to his umbrella to prevent further damage on Eunjoo’s drenched body. His other hand had let go of his bike he was walking with as he went home and was now on her back pulling her closer to him. His clothes sipped the liquid coming off from Eunjoo, soaking himself as well. But he didn't care.

 

 

Relief,

 

 

Jungkook was relieved to have his bike with him at school. If he rode the bus, he wouldn't have seen Eunjoo under the rain with no umbrella.

 

 

Jungkook was relieved to have decided not to ride his bike on the way home. If he did, he wouldn't have caught up with her limping pitifully.

 

 

He d*mned all the people who saw her but made no move to help her; But then again, he wouldn't have even cared if she was a stranger to him. He wouldn't have cared if she wasn't his girlfriend.

 

 

The way he caressed her hair sent Eunjoo in a flurry of emotions, causing Eunjoo to cry harder than she had a while ago; wailing louder as she was preventing no more. She held tighter onto his uniform wetting it with her tears and the rain from her body. "Let it all out, Joo. I'm here. I'm not going anywhere."

 

 

Relief,

 

 

Jungkook was relieved that Baekhyun was nowhere. If he was, Jungkook wouldn't know how to feel if he saw Baekhyun comforting Eunjoo the way he did.

 

 

+++

 

 

A hot shower later, Jungkook proceeded to his bed where he instructed Eunjoo to retreat to after she cleaned herself up. Since Jungkook's house was nearer, they picked that as their refuge from the rain.

 

 

"Yes, mom, I'm nowhere else but Jungkook's. Don't try to sound like you're scolding me because I know you're celebrating deep inside."

 

 

Jungkook smiled, stopping by the wall beside his slightly ajar door with him preventing light beam coming from his room from hitting any part of his body and giving away his presence. He fiddled with the other end of the towel dangling by his neck as he listened.

 

 

"What? No mom, I'm a teenager who's still in high school. I'm sleeping in another room. You're gross."

 

 

To that, Jungkook blushed. What was Eunjoo's mother thinking?

 

 

"Uhm..." Although he barely had a view of Eunjoo from the crack of his door, Jungkook noticed something odd in the tone of her voice. Despite her raspy voice from her sniffles, Eunjoo seemed to sound sadder. "He had something to do, so he had to go. I forgot to bring my umbrella. Sorry."

 

 

There was a moment of silence and Jungkook took this opportunity to enter the room nonchalantly as if he hadn't been listening earlier. Eunjoo looked up when he entered and quickly bowed as a habit, but Jungkook noticed her glossy eyes.

 

 

He sighed, removing the towel from his neck and holding it with one hand as he walked then stood in front of Eunjoo.

 

 

Her eyes were glazed, but no tears fell down; no more tears were left to drop. Her hair was damp, having been gone from a shower before Jungkook did. Her clothes were that of Junghwa's - a large and thick white fluffy sweater and a black pair of shiny leggings. She did, however, wore one of the many pairs of Iron Man socks Jungkook owned, but her cast was long gone and being set to dry. Her legs hung over the edge of the bed where she sat as the soft cushion engulfed her thighs.

 

 

"Yes mom, I'll take care. You take care too. See you tomorrow." Eunjoo couldn't seem to divert her eyes from Jungkook's, but the more she stared, the more she forgot the urge to cry. "Good night,"

 

 

Once Eunjoo had broken eye contact and put her phone down, she felt a cloth fall upon

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter