CHAPTER 2: The Start

To love or to not ?

Chapter 2: The start

 

Jung Corporation is one of the top 10 biggest revenue generators in the world, making it one of the hardest places to work at. Yuri is the main director while Jessica is the owner, making Jessica her boss. Of course the work that Yuri has to do is just as much but as expected from her, she does well in certain ways.

Yuri is well known within the company. Too bad she is not known for her working ethics and efforts instead she is known as Jessica’s untouchable pet. Everyone in the company knows that Yuri belongs to Jessica. Although no one knows the context of their relationship, they would still keep a safe distance from Yuri.

It was a usual morning for Yuri. She was in her office doing her own work. She was focusing on the documents in her hand when she heard a knock on her office door.

“Come in.” Yuri said before she heard the door creaked open.

“Good morning, Kwon-jeonmunim. I’m Lee Kaeun from department 3.” The unknown girl said as she bowed.

“What brings you here?” Yuri asked with a questioning look. It’s very rare for someone to step in her office other than her secretary.

“Uh…I would just like to introduce myself to you in person.” The said girl answered although reluctantly.

“Ah…..you must be new here.” Yuri said, blankly.

“Ne, Kwon-jeonmunim.” Came a weak answer.

“Had no one told you that you can’t talk to me unless it’s an important matter?” Yuri asked with a serious look on her face.

“I was told but I thought that it would be rude if I don’t introduce myself to you personally.” Kaeun answered, truthfully.

“Very brave. I like it.” Yuri’s face changed from a serious expression to a proud look. It was hard to find someone that was brave like her. ‘If only she knows how bad the consequences are.’

“Ne…thank you, Kwon-jeonmunim.” Kaeun said as she bowed again.

“Unless you don’t know where you are getting yourself into, young girl. I’m sure Jung-sajangnim wouldn’t appreciate you coming into my room.” Yuri added.

“I’m sorry for coming into your office, Kwon-jeonmunim. I won’t do it again. Now that I have introduced myself to you, I’ll be on my way” Kaeun said with a scared look on her face before she made her way out of the office.

“Lee Kaeun-ssi, wait.” Yuri said, stopping Kaeun from fully exiting her office. “If you do have any questions about work, please don’t be shy to ask me.” Yuri added.

Ne, Kwon-jeonmunim. Thank you for your time.” Kaeun said before she shut the door.

‘It must be fun to greet the interns every year.’ Yuri mentally thought to herself.

Yuri never once greeted other staffs of the office along her career in Jung Corporation. It's like a rule that every staff had to follow after Yuri was scouted.

She became the director of the company upon her first interview –in Jessica’s order. The fact that other staffs won’t recognize Yuri for her working skills saddens her. She truly is the gem of the company but somehow that fact is shadowed by Jessica’s request. Yuri hated that fact but there is nothing she can do about it. The rest only see her as Jessica’s pet.

 

Flashback

It was finally graduation time –the time that was long awaited by Yuri. Yuri always had the dream of becoming a corporate lawyer. And finally, at the age of 24, she would finally make her dreams come true.

Everything seemed perfect for her then. She’d just graduated from college but already had an interview waiting the next day.

“I really did it.” Yuri said to herself as she admired her certificate. She was outside her college as their graduation ceremony just ended.

"Yuri-ah, let’s go for a drink tonight. It’s on me. I’ll text you the place later.” Sooyoung had shouted from a far before she entered her car. Yuri had shown an okay sign to Sooyoung before she saw her drove away. Yuri then went home to get ready.

That night, she received the address of the club from Sooyoung –just like what she promised. Yuri was dressed in a fitting beautiful black dress that was neither too revealing nor too conservative. It showed just the right amount of her skin. She then chose a black strapped high heels and an exotic necklace to match her dress.

Yuri drove her car to Cusco Drive –the club that they’d have to meet up at. Upon arriving at the club, she saw Sooyoung and a few friends at the VIP table. The music was blaring as Yuri pushed her way through the crowd. Yuri was never the type to go to clubs but since that day was a special occasion to all of them, she decided not to be a party pooper and joined them instead.

“Hey, here comes our big brain.” Sooyoung cheered as Yuri arrived.

“Yah! Stop calling me that.” Yuri said dissenting.

“Whatever. Come and sit here.” Sooyoung said as she patted the seat next to her.

“So… what’s the plan, guys?” Yuri asked her friends as Sooyoung poured her a drink

“Get drunk and get laid of course.” Nana answered playfully.

“Hahaha! Just what I have in mind, Nana.” Sooyoung said, agreeing.

“Nah, I have an interview tomorrow. I’ll probably leave early.” Yuri said and sipped the alcoholic drink.

“Come on dude, don’t be a party pooper. Let’s just enjoy and relax.” Sooyoung said and rested her arms in the backrest.

“Lucky you, rich bastards; you don’t have to enter any interview.” Yuri snapped back.

“Relax, if you don’t get it you can still work for me. No worries” Sooyoung added with a wink.

“Sorry pal ‘coz even if I’m your friend I wouldn’t want to work for you” Said Yuri while laughing.

“We’ll see about that, Yuri.” Sooyoung said with a little displeased expression and crossed arms.

It was already getting late and Yuri was starting to feel a little tipsy as she was dancing on the floor. It was probably because of the alcohol kicking in her system. After a while of dancing, Yuri decided to grab some more drinks at the bar. Sooyoung and some of her friends had already left with some chick they met while having fun, leaving her and Yoona alone in the club. And even if Yoona was the only one left among her friends, she was nowhere to be seen. ‘Probably making out somewhere.’ Yuri sighed.

“Give me the strongest one.” Yuri said to the bartender the moment she reached the bar.

‘I don’t have to worry about paying now that it’s all on Sooyoung. It’s her club, anyways.’ Yuri thought and chuckle.

After a while, the bartender finally served her drink.

“Give me the same one like hers.” Yuri heard the woman next to her said to the bartender. Yuri then turned to the direction where the woman was sitting. She was indeed beautiful –drop dead gorgeous. Yuri didn’t know if it was the alcohol or that she really saw this beautiful lady as an angel. Her skin was fair and flawless accompanied by her beautiful curvy body line and her sharp but soft features which Yuri admired for a few interminable minutes before having the nerves to say hello.

“Hey.” Yuri said to the beautiful girl next to her. Yuri was never the type to say hello first as she was somehow a little bit prudish. Guess the alcohol was causing the change in her attitude –in a good way.

“Hey to you, too.” The beautiful girl answered with a sweet smile.

With that, they both started talking to each other. They have many things in common and both enjoyed each other’s presence. Yuri enjoyed looking into the woman’s brown eyes. Like there is so much sadness and emotion within her eyes covered with a glint of hope. Yuri found out many things about the beautiful girl. Her name is Jessica Jung and she was born in California. Glass after glass they drank as they chatted away.

After a while of chatting and drinking, both were starting to get extremely drunk. Yuri was the first one to actually say, “I think we should stop. I’m getting drunk and I have an important interview tomorrow.”

“So am I.” Jessica answered with her face all red due to alcohol.

“I think we should go. I’ll send you to your car.” Yuri said as she stood up.

“Yeah, I think we should.” Jessica said but she stumbled a bit as she tried to stand up. Luckily, Yuri was there to hold her and stop her from falling.

“Where is your car? I don’t think you can drive though.” Yuri said as they made their way to the parking lot.

“It’s right there.” Jessica pointed the white expensive BMW car parked in the car park.

“Are you going to drive?” Yuri asked in a tipsy tone.

Aniyo, my driver is waiting in the car. Don’t worry.” Jessica answered just as tipsy. Yuri walked Jessica to her car and as expected, there was a man in the car waiting for her.

“I guess this is it. I’ll see you if we are fated to do so.” Yuri said with a drunken smile.

“Don’t be so dramatic, Yuri.” Jessica said before she entered the car. Yuri closed the door for her after she got in. The driver was about to drive away but stopped when Jessica asked him to.

“What’s the matter, Miss Jung?” He asked but got ignored as Jessica rolled the car window down.

“Waeyo?” Yuri asked, confused as to why Jessica halt in leaving.

“Do you wanna ?” Jessica asked Yuri casually as if it was the most casual thing to ask.

“Pardon me?” Yuri said as she thought she had misheard her the first time.

“Do you want to ?” Jessica asked Yuri the second time.

“What?” Yuri was shocked at Jessica’s question but before she can fully comprehend what Jessica was talking about, Jessica pulled her in for a kiss.

“Get in the car.” Jessica said shortly as they pulled away which Yuri complied willingly.
They were making out in the car as it drove away. The driver didn’t even bother the view that he was seeing through the rear and side mirror nor the weird noises that he was hearing. He just drove the car blankly.

‘Aish. I have an interview tomorrow. I can’t be doing this now.’ Yuri thought to herself. Yuri pulled away from the kiss and about to tell Jessica when Jessica suddenly nibbled her left ear making Yuri shiver. ‘Screw that. I’m ing this girl tonight.’ Yuri thought again after she felt Jessica nibbling her ear. The night went well as they did end up having .

The next morning came and Yuri was awoken by the sound of her phone ringing. The moment Yuri woke up, she found herself under the blanket shared with the beautiful girl she met at the bar last night who was as well. ‘ what time is it?’  She thought as she saw the sun had already risen from the window. As Yuri was thinking of a way to escape from Jessica’s hold to go grab her phone, she felt Jessica shifting.

“Hey.” Yuri said softly as she saw Jessica slowly opening her eyelids ignoring the strong headache she was sure Jessica was feeling as well. “Umm….can you please move a little? I think I need to go now.” Yuri said.

“Sorry.” Jessica said as she removed herself from Yuri and rolled to her side.

“Thank you.” Yuri said shortly as she rushed to grab her phone and clothes that was all over the floor and ran off to the toilet.

When Yuri opened her phone she saw 13 missed calls –10 from Sooyoung, 2 from Yoona and 1 from the office where she was supposed to go for an interview. Yuri saw the time was 7:40 a.m meaning she still had some time before her interview which was at 8 a.m. She quickly had a shower and wore the clothes she wore last night. After Yuri was done, she went out of the toilet only to see Jessica on the bed playing with her phone still . “Hey.” Yuri said to get her attention.

“Hey.”  Jessica answered back.

“Yesterday was great but I have to go now. I have an important interview coming up.” Yuri said before she headed to the door.

“I know. Good luck on your interview.” Jessica said coolly as she continued playing her phone.

“Bye.” Yuri said as she left.

“Now, where the heck am I?” Yuri said as she made her way out of the apartment and down the elevator. She did succeed on hailing a cab when she was out of the building but still clueless on her location. She told the driver to send her to Jung Corporation.

‘I just hope that I would make it in time.

To make the situation worse, she was then stuck in the traffic jam.

‘I guess working with Sooyoung does not seem like a bad idea anymore.’ Yuri thought to herself as she saw many cars in front of her that was stuck in the jam as well.

‘Oh great! I’m going to be late and I’m not even wearing the right clothes.’ Yuri thought in annoyance.

It was already 8:30 a.m when Yuri arrived at the building. She rushed to the receptionist to ask about her interview.

“Hello, I am Kwon Yuri. I was supposed to be here at 8 for a job interview. Is the interview still on?” Yuri asked as she was panting.

“Oh that interview was moved to 9 a.m. We tried calling you just now to inform you about it but you didn’t pick up.” The woman answered while eyeing Yuri’s clothes weirdly.

“May I know why it was moved?” Yuri asked ignoring the weird stares from the receptionist.

“The owner must be there at the interview but she might have something else to do before the interview so we had to postpone it.” The receptionist said in monotone.

“Ahh. Thank you.” Yuri said before she went to sit on a seat nearby.

‘Thank god the boss is late today. Guess, I do have a chance for this after all’ Yuri said feeling relieved that she still has a chance with this company.

Yuri looked at the clock and realized that she still has 30 minutes to spare. She then decided to take a short nap before her interview as she was feeling drowsy.

Finally, it was time for Yuri’s meeting. Thankfully, the receptionist woke her up in time before the interview or she would have overslept again.

‘Aish. I won't go to clubs anymore after this.’ Yuri mentally noted as she was walking on the hallway to the interview room. She checked her appearance once again before she entered the room.

‘You can do it Yuri. Relax.’ Yuri encouraged herself before she entered the room. Upon entering the room, she was welcomed by three serious looking men and a woman.

'… this is scary. I hope they don’t ask me about the clothes I’m wearing.' She was really scared but she hid her emotions well behind her smile. She just sat on her seat awkwardly as she wait for their questions. She was sitting face to face with the female interviewer. 'Hmm… she seems familiar.' She could not see the woman’s face as the woman was focusing on her résumé.

“Please introduce yourself.” One of the men said with a slight smile.

“Yes. Good morning, my name is Kwon Yuri and I am 24 years old.” Yuri said confidently. She saw the female interviewer smirked. ‘I swear she looks familiar.’

“Tell us more about yourself, Yuri-ssi.” Another man said.

“I just graduated with a law degree. I might be young and inexperienced but I can assure you that I will do my best to perform just as good as a veteran.” I said with a smile.

“Congratulations, Yuri. You got the job. You are now the main director of this company.” The woman spoke and I finally saw her face.

“Wait, what?” Yuri asked, shocked.

“Hahaha. You really have a habit of making me repeat myself. You got the job, Kwon Yuri. Congratulations.” She said with that familiar smile.

The moment Yuri saw her smile was when she finally recognized her. She was the girl that she had the night before. Yuri wondered if the fact that they had was a good thing or a bad thing in her situation.

“Jung-sajangnim, can we please have a word with you?” One of the men said to Jessica.

‘. She is the owner.’ Yuri was there still dumbfounded over the fact that she heard some whispers from their discussion.

Sajangnim, there are plenty others that deserve this position than her. She is still new and inexperienced.” One of the directors reasoned to Jessica. ‘And I agree to that. I have no working experience at all.’ Yuri mentally thought.

“I choose who I want. I see something within her.” Jessica said calmly.

After a while of whispering and discussing, they were finally done.

“Congratulations once again, Kwon Yuri-ssi. You can start by tomorrow.” The man said with a forced smile which Yuri obviously noticed.

“Ah, ne. Thank you.” Yuri said and she bowed.

“You may take your leave now.” He said as he pointed to the door.

“Wait, I would like to speak with Miss Jung before I take my leave. Miss Jung, if you don’t mind, can I talk to you?” Yuri politely asked Jessica.

“Of course, come with me to my office.” Jessica said as she stood up and left the room to her office as Yuri followed her from behind.

“Take a seat.” She offered as she pointed the seat in front of her as soon as they arrived in her office. “What would you like to talk about, Yuri?” Jessica added.

“Why did I get such a high position? I believe that there are many candidates that are better than me and more experienced.” Yuri asked honestly.

“I saw potential within you.” Jessica said seriously before she started laughing. “Hahaha! That would probably be my answer if I were like those hypocrite owners but sadly I’m not. My opinion is simpler than that. I chose you because I think that you are hot plus you were good in bed. The reason why I chose you is probably because you were good in bed.” Jessica said with a chic but sweet smile. Yuri blushed upon hearing Jessica’s answer.

She was totally embarrassed. It was her first company but she had already ed her boss.

“So Yuri, are you finally satisfied? If you are, then you can take your leave now. I have many things to do.” Jessica said as she stared coldly at Yuri.

“Oh, if that’s the case, I’ll be taking my leave now. Thank you once again, Jung-sajangnim.” Yuri said and bowed before leaving her room. ‘This woman really has a bipolar issue.’

Yuri was walking on the hallway when she heard some of the female workers gossiping. She ignored it at first as she thought that it was a normal thing until she heard them talking about a new worker.

“You know what, just now Jung-sajangnim elected an intern to be the main director.”

“What?! Are you serious?” 

“I’m dead serious.”

“I know that Jung-sajangnim is biased and ridiculous but isn’t this too much?” 

“I know right. The new girl doesn’t even have any working experience.”

‘It does not take a genius to figure out who they are talking about. It’s obvious that they are talking about me’

Sajangnim is really too much this time. We have been working for this company for years but still got no promotion. How can she easily give that position to some inexperienced girl?”

“I know right.”

“Let’s just get back to work. We don’t want Jung-sajangnim ing out on us again.” One of the workers said before they went back to their respective places. Yuri walked away from them the moment she saw a man eyeing her suspiciously from the side.

End of Flashback

 

Yuri’s POV

I know that I will never be viewed seriously by others and I’m aware that I will never be admired by my working ethics nor will my efforts be praised. I have learnt to live like that –to live as the person who got the job by means of connections.

I regretted going to that club that day and sleeping with her because if that didn’t happen, I would never be put in this situation. I would never be Jessica’s toy.

Maybe if I did not meet her, I could live without her.

 

 

 

전무 (Jeon-mu) *Executive Director

사장 (Sa-jang) *President

씨 (Ssi) *Honorific attached at the end of a person’s name

아니요 (A-ni-yo) *Polite way of saying “No”           

네 (Ne) *Polite way of saying “Yes”

왜요 (Wae-yo) *Why