Chapter 25: Upcoming Pain

To love or to not ?

Yuri’s POV:

I woke up the next morning and rushed to the hospital Jessica was at. I had to apologize to her as soon as I can to avoid having troubles with her. As I was on the way to the hospital I heard my phone rang, it was Jessica’s mom calling.

“Dae omma. Is there something wrong?” I asked on the line while driving.

“I heard about Jessica from Krystal. Is she okay?” She sounded worried.

“I’m on the way to go see her. She was not injured luckily. We have already arrested Mr Jung.”

“That man is too much this time. He is constantly using his children for his own selfish needs. Please make sure to keep him in jail.”

“I will try omma. I have a problem with Jessica. I was hoping you would advise me on what to do.”

“What’s wrong?”

“I shot Mr Jung because he held a gun against Jessica. I thought I saw him pull the trigger then I panicked. I just fired the shot as a reflex and now Jessica is mad at me. What should I do?”

“Jessica has always been like that. She craved for her father’s presence from a young age. She only choose to see his good side. As a result she can be blind sometimes. Please be understanding of her. She loves him too much but he doesn’t. He only sees her as his stepping stone. He knows that Jessica won’t go against him therefore he exploited her.”

“Do you think she will ever forgive me?”

“Just give her some time and explain your actions. She’s very sensitive on the inside.”

“I will try”

“Promise me one thing, if she breaks down please hold on to her. Please protect her and give her the love she needs. I have failed her as a parent and so did her father. Beyond that facade of hers is just another child afraid of being hurt. She’s in denial of her father’s action but I know she would come to realize the truth. When that time comes, please hold her and never let go. Just ignore her resistance and keep on holding on to her. She’s worth it.”

“I will omma. This is my promise.”

“I trust you Yuri. I want to come visit her but it’s not the right time to do that. Please take good care of her for me.”

“I will don’t worry.” I said before ending the call.

 

I was finally able to understand Jessica’s point of view. She is just like me, longing to be loved. Maybe that is why I was so attracted to her, we were on the same boat. Just like her I lost my father. She lost him against greed while I lost mine against addiction. Just like promised, I will never let her go because she is worth it. Every damn hardship is worth it.

 

“Good morning miss Kwon” I heard the police men that was guarding Jessica greet me.

“Good morning. Was there any visitors for Jessica?”

“No madam.”

“If there is I want you to call me first. I have to allow the visit first.”

“Noted Miss Kwon.”

I entered the room and I saw Jessica sitting on the bed looking outside the window near her bed. She looked sad and my heart hurts to see her that way.

“What do you want?” Her tone was filled with anger.

“I wanted to check up on you and to apologise.” I said as I slowly went closer to her.

“I’m sorry for shooting your dad. I thought I saw him pull the trigger and I accidentally shot him as a reflex. Please forgive me”

“I almost lost him Yuri. You almost killed him.”

“I know and I’m sorry.”

“No Yuri. You don’t ing know. You don’t know how it feels to almost lose your father.”

“I know Jessica. I did lose my father. I ing know how hurtful it is. I grew up every day of my life missing him. I grew up missing both of my parents so I know how it feels.” I saw her face changed upon my confession.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t know.”

“It’s okay. I don’t tell people anyways.” I said as I sat down next to her.

“My father was a detective, a famous one. He somehow became an alcoholic and started hitting me and my mom. At night he would beat us and curse at us. When morning comes and he becomes sober he would cry and apologise. We had a complex relationship. The beatings were getting too much as time goes by. One day, my mom had enough and left us. I saw him breaking down day by day. He was losing it, I know so. Until one day, he hung himself. The last thing he said was ‘I’m sorry’. Losing my mom made him lose his life. Honestly, I was afraid to lose you. I was afraid of becoming my father. I couldn’t take any chance of losing you. I might die if I ever lose you so please forgive me.” I held her hand. My eyes were getting teary.

“Please don’t let me end up like my dad. I can’t lose you” I was crying at that point. She was silently looking at me with a pained expression. Slowly, her hands moved to hold me, letting me cry in her embrace. I never been this open with anyone regarding my past except with Yoona. Every time she holds me it feels right. She reminds me of my mother that I lost, the warmth of her hands gets me all the time.

“Please say something” I said. I wasn’t planning on crying, but I did but emotions sometimes can’t be helped.

“I don’t know what to say other than sorry and you don’t have to apologize. I’m the wrong one here. I let my fear take over my judgement. I’m sorry for getting mad at you when all you want is to protect me.” She sounded guilty.

“Please just promise me one thing.” I held her face as I wipe away her tears.

“Let me protect you. Don’t push me away and let me be the one to love you till the day we die.”

“I promise you that I will try my best as long as you promise to never give up on us. I might lose everything at this point. I hope you can accept me as I am.”

“I will without a doubt even if I have to throw away everything.” Her eyes bore into mine as she closes in the gap between our faces before she captured my lips. Her lips tasted salty against mine from the tears. We shared a deep meaningful kiss.

“I love you” I said breathlessly as her forehead laid on mine.

“I love you too.” I heard she said.

“I have to go. I must work on the case. Tyler is still on the run so I’m keeping you here with those boys. If anything happens, call me right away.” I passed her a new phone.

“I will.” She said with a smile before we bid goodbye with a short kiss.

I rushed myself to Moonbyul’s office right after.

“Is there any lead on the lizard man?” I asked right away the moment I entered.

“Which lizard?” Moonbyul looked at me confusingly.

“She meant Tyler” Yoona answered.

“We might but it’s still not confirmed.” Moonbyul answered.

“How long do we have to wait?”

“2 hours from now we might get his location.” Yoona said. I ruffled my hair in annoyance.

“Where the is this dude hiding?” I hissed in anger.

“Don’t worry, I will find him.” Yoona assured me.

“I trust you” I said before sitting down on a table near by to finish reviewing our case files.

‘I wonder what that son of a is planning on this time?’ I thought to myself.

“We found him.” Yoona shouted from her booth 1 hour after I arrived. I rushed to her side.

“ he just left the hospital Jessica is at 30 minutes ago.” I called the officer in charge the moment after only to be directed to voicemail.

“ we have to go there now. Find where his current location is now.” I ordered before rushing off to the hospital.

I ran up the stairs because the lift had a breakdown. The moment I reached the floor where Jessica was located at, I noticed that the whole floor was in chaos. I was getting more and more worried as I made my way to the room Jessica was at. The moment I reached there I notice there were blood on the floor. I went inside only to be welcomed by an empty bed, she was no where to be seen. I rushed outside to find out what happened.

“What is going on?” I held onto a nurse to ask.

“2 officers were shot and the girl inside was kidnapped.

“Thank you” I said before letting her go and calling Moonbyul right away.

“Byulie ah, he kidnapped Jessica. The officers were shot. Do you have a location on him?”

“Not yet. You should go to the surveillance room to find out what happened.”

“Okay, call me right away when you have a lead.”

“I will” She said before ending the call.

I rushed to the surveillance room to see the footage. In the video, Tyler was wearing a mask and a cap. He shot the cops before he went inside taking Jessica as hostage before running away from the place. As I continuously reviewed the clip, I notice that Jessica slid something in her pocket before unwillingly following him, the phone I gave her. I called Yoona right away asking her to trace the call. I rushed back to the police station right after I took the footage along with me.

“Here is the footage.” I said as I passed Moonbyul the disk.

“Did we find out where they are?” I asked Yoona

“It seems like they are at an abandoned tower.” Yoona answered.

“How long do you think they have been there?”

“My guess at least 1 hour 30 minutes”

“Let’s get going then”

“You can’t hold a gun this time, let me handle it.” Moonbyul said.

“Okay” I half-halfheartedly agreed because I had to, Moonbyul is still the boss here.