Love Rival

Because I Have You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

While someone is having a great time because Jessica is giving her an attention, the other one feels like her heart is going to burst any minute because of too much sadness. Yes she smiles at everyone she meets at the school clinic. And when she bumps into Jessica and her friends, she looks tough and unaffected of the previous situation they'd been in. But in the confines of her room at the employees' dorm, Tiffany Hwang's eyes are often clouded with tears. She misses Jessica a lot. She wants to touch her. She wants to wrap her in her arms and tell her words of encouragement just like the old times. But there are just too many reasons why she can't. One of it is her lack of courage to fight for the younger woman. She chose to leave her because she's scared of facing Jung Soo Hyun and his wrath. She's afraid of what he can do to bring her and her family down.

"Did you cry last night?" one of her co-workers, Lee Donghae, asked when she arrived at the clinic.

"H-Huh? W-Why?" she asked, trying to act clueless of what Donghae was talking about. Tiffany tried all her might to conceal her swollen eyes with make-up. But still Donghae noticed the change in the nurse's eyes. To him, there's always something hidden behind her eyesmile.

"You can't hide it from me Tiffany. I've been working with you for a year now and within that year I learned how to tell when you cried or not. I chose not to ask the reason behind it because I'm waiting for you to say it instead of forcing you to speak up. But one year is already long enough. So I want to ask you now, do you want to talk about it Tiff? I'm your friend. You can tell me anything that bothers you."

Tiffany's silence was an indication that she's not ready to disclose her problem. Donghae felt disappointed but he chose to understand Tiffany's choice.

"Okay. If you're not ready to talk about it, it's okay. But in case you changed your mind, remember that I'm here and willing to listen."

The troubled woman replied with a weak smile. "Thank you," she said before excusing herself to go to her desk. Kept in her drawer was the gold bracelet Jessica gave her when she was fourteen years old. It's her sign of gratitude to an unnie who made her forget her sadness. That gift is Tiffany's most treasured memento. She wanted to throw it after leaving Jessica but she never got the courage to do so.

When Tiffany saw Jessica again in Yoshen last year, she wanted to step back and leave. But she couldn't because she needs the high-paying job. She needs to help her mother in financing their needs especially now that her father is disabled because of a farm accident that caused him to lose his right arm. So even if it hurts her to be in the same island as Jessica, Tiffany chose to stay to work as one of Yoshen's school nurse.

Six PM. While Tiffany was busy counting the medical supplies, Dr. Song knocked on the door of the stockroom. "Jessica's already here for her physical and medical exam," he informed. He doesn't need to spell the remaining information that's unspoken. Tiffany knows that his statement means she's in charged to take Jessica's vital signs, her weight and height, and to conduct the other physical examinations that needs to be done. It is part of her job as Yoshen's medical team member. To ensure their fitness (which means obesity and fragile health status are not allowed), the students undergo an annual medical and physical exam. Fifteen students undergo the process per day.

When Jessica stepped inside the examination room, a deafening silence reigned. No one dared to utter a word while they were staring into each other's eyes.

"I'm already wearing a patient's gown. Is there anything else that I still need to do before the examination... Nurse Hwang?" It was Jessica who first broke their silence. And hearing her calling her 'Nurse Hwang' pricked Tiffany's heart.

"Um...n-nothing. Stand here please. I'm going to take your weight and height." After taking Jessica's weight and height, Tiffany proceeds to other assessment procedures like the test for visual acuity, hearing and balance, and even checking for early signs of skin cancers especially because Jessica has a family history of skin cancer. Therefore, Tiffany was forced to ask Jessica to her patient's gown when it's time to check her torso for signs of malignancies. It was such an awkward moment. Even if Jessica was not totally bare since she's wearing a bra, Tiffany's heart still beat so fast. Her hands were cold and trembling while touching Jessica's skin. When their eyes met, Tiffany lost it. Slowly, she leaned forward to kiss Jessica who's just staring at her with a blank expression until...

"Am I now allowed to leave this room? Have you taken everything that needs to be recorded Nurse Hwang?" Jessica's voice brought Tiffany back to her senses. She's embarrassed yet the feeling that reigns more in her heart is sadness because Jessica stopped her from kissing her. She couldn't say a word so she just nodded.

"How's you first annual physical exam experience?" Dr. Song asked Jessica after r

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter