Her Smile

Because I Have You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yuri's embarrassment on being caught off guard kept her awake that night. She tried listening to mellow songs, drinking two glasses of milk, reading boring school topics and whatever it is that crossed her mind yet the embarrassed girl remained awake. "Since when did you become stupid in coming up with excuses Kwon Yuri?" she asked herself. She lied on her side and watched Jessica sleeping. It's amazing that even with her eyes closed, the girl's beauty remains ethereal. "Beautiful..." Such word randomly escaped Yuri's lips. She got up and sat at the edge of Jessica's bed to take a closer look of her roommate. Nervously, Yuri tucked the hair strands that curtained Jessica's face and that's when she noticed the tears falling from the stern girl's eyes. Seconds later she heard Jessica's faint sobs. "Is this what Victoria is talking about?" Yuri wondered.

"Appa," the sleeping girl uttered while crying. "Don't leave me appa."

"Appa? Isn't it that she doesn't have a father?" In the article she read, nothing is said about Jessica's father. So hearing her calling her dad made Yuri wonder what happened in Jessica's past that became her nightmare. Was she abandoned by her father? Was her father killed? Or...was he forced to leave her? Questions like these further increased her curiosity about her roommate. Yuri wished that one day she'll be able to understand the girl so that she can help her.

Jessica continued crying which made Yuri become more worried. She tried to wake her up but Jessica didn't stir in her sleep. That is why the taller girl decided to try Yoona's way of calming down her friend. She lied beside her and wrapped her in her arms. And while gently tapping the stern girl's back, Yuri hummed a lullaby. Such method was effective. Jessica stopped crying and calling her father. But even if she has calmed down, Yuri continued humming a song until she fell asleep right there in Jessica's bed.

 

 

Four eighteen AM. It has become Jessica's habit to wake up this early. When she opened her eyes, she was surprised to see that her face is just a few inches away from Yuri's. The tan girl's arm is still locked on her waist so she wondered what happened and why they're sleeping together. Gently, Jessica removed Yuri's arm and scooted to the farthest side of the mattress. The shift in weight and the sound of bedsheets caused  by her movement awakened Yuri. She is also surprised to find herself lying in Jessica's bed.

"S-Sorry," she said. She got up and comb her hair with her fingers. "Y-You were crying last night. I...I tried to wake you up but it didn't work so I...I..." Yuri fumbled for words to explain herself. Difficulty in coming up with excuses is one of Jessica's effects on her.

"Hugged me?" Jessica asked to complete Yuri's statement. The latter shook her head while avoiding an eye contact. "Thank you."

Thank you. Yuri's heart fluttered when she heard those words from Jessica. Her voice when she said it sounds gentle...And sincere.

"Thank you," Jessica repeated. She's looking directly into Yuri's eyes and the latter swore that such gaze can make her melt anytime. "Someone's hug is the only way that stops me from crying when I'm asleep. So I want to thank you for doing it and I'm sorry too if it made you worry."

After saying her gratitude, Jessica went to the closet to grab her outfit for the day's classes and then went to the attached bathroom to take a shower. Yuri was left mum. She couldn't believe she just heard Jessica's appreciation to her help. When she saw the confused look on Jessica's face when she woke up, she was afraid that the popular girl might think she's a ert. But Jessica didn't. She didn't make a fuss about it. She thanked her instead.

"Have you gone crazy?" Minhee asked when she noticed that Yuri kept on smiling while having her breakfast even if none of them cracked a joke.

"It seems like something good happened this morning or last night," Gayoung assumed.

"Mind telling us what it is?" Minhee asked her new friend.

The two waited for Yuri's answer but instead of telling them the truth, Yuri simply said that she's just happy. She returned to her room and after brushing her teeth, she went to the rooftop. Jessica's there in her usual spot. The sound emitted by her violin is still sad. "Someday, I'll be able to understand the story behind your song," Yuri thought. She didn't leave until Jessica's done playing a sad song.

"Why are you here?" Jessica asked after keeping her violin on it's case.

"I...uh...I want to make sure that you won't arrive late in Professor Song's class. You always wake up early yet you still arrive five or ten minutes late. It makes me wonder whether you're doing it on purpose or not."

Yuri's the first person to question Jessica's tardiness in her first subject. It amused her so she smiled. And that was Yuri's first time to see her smile. She needed to remind herself to breath or else she might faint.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter