Start of Something New

Because I Have You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Everytime the sliding glass doors of the school cafeteria opens, five sophomores turn their heads to see who the customer is. They'd been doing it for the last ten minutes. But unfortunately for them, none of the students who entered the cafeteria was their friend.

"Still no text message?" Billy asked Yoona when he saw her checking her phone for notifications.

"Negative," the resort owner's daughter replied.

"Maybe we should try calling her. She probably forgot that we're waiting for her."

"That's what I'm about to do." Yoona opened the phonebook and searched for Jessica's number. She waited patiently for Jessica to answer her call.

"Yes?" their leader asked after picking up. Yoona can hear the rustling sound of the leaves so it made her wonder where her friend is.

"Where are you Jess? We're here at the main cafeteria waiting for you."

"I will not be joining you tonight. Sorry I didn't give a prior notice."

"Can you tell me where you are?"

"Just somewhere in the island."

"Did something happen after you left the meadow?" Yoona asked this because she and her friends know that when Jessica decides to be alone somewhere in the island, it means that something came up again that bothers their leader. Example of which is her separation with Tiffany.

"Don't worry about me Yoong. I'll be fine. See you tomorrow."

"Okay. Just tell me when you need me."

"I will. Bye."

"So? Where did she say she is?" Haruma asked after Yoona kept her phone.

"She said she's somewhere in the island. She will not be joining us for dinner."

"Did she tell you what happened?"

"No. But it's probably about her again." Yoona's worried about Jessica. She looked glum so Shirota thought of something to divert her attention.

"Since Jess will not be joining us, we'll be able to have time to continue our preparations for our birthday surprise for her. The chef has allowed us to use the kitchen. So we better hurry so that we can start working on the cake and setting up the place for the party."

"I almost forgot about that one," Yoona replied with a smile. "Thanks for reminding us oppa."

Shirota raised one hand and showed an OK sign. "Anytime. I hope Jess will like our surprise."

While her friends are busy planning about the surprise birthday party, Jessica is keeping herself busy by reading a novel while eating the tteokbokki she bought at the cafeteria. She also bought one for Yuri.

"Don't you get tired of reading?" Yuri asked. It took her fifteen minutes before she got the courage to ask Jessica about it.

Jessica lowered her book to look at her roommate inquisitively. "Why does it sound like reading is a bad thing?" she asked.

"Huh? I...I don't mean it that way. I'm just curious because I often see you reading a book everyday."

"It's a good way to divert my attention. Are you thirsty? There's a sparkling water in the food compartment. You can get one if you want."

"I'm not thirsty for water. I'm more thirsty to get to know you," Yuri muttered. However, Jessica heard it clearly but decided to ignore it at first.

"So what is it that you want to know about me?" Jessica asked after setting aside her book and the empty food container. "You said you're thirsty to get to know me. Therefore I am giving you the chance to quench that thirst," she added when Yuri refused to talk.

"You heard it huh?" The embarrassed girl scratched her nape. "Is it really alright to ask?"

"It depends on the things you want to know. There are some which I might not like to answer. You can ask me five questions."

Yuri thought deeply of the things she'd like to ask. The first three questions were easy which include Jessica's favorite food (pizza), her favorite city (London), and her favorite outfit (plain colored blouse and skinny jeans). The fourth question Yuri asked was about Yoshen. "Why did you choose to study here when you can attend any Ivy League schools in U.S.?"

"I prefer exclusive schools like this where there is no social life except on special occasions. Besides, I like Yoshen's way of educating the students. Aside from the fact that my grandfather also admires this school, I need Yoshen to help me become the best so that I can outweigh that old man."

Hatred and determination crept in Jessica's nerves when she said those words. She's not studying well to please her grandfather who is proud of her achievements as a top student. She's doing it so that she can be more powerful than the man who despised her father.

"Do you hate him?" The answer is quite obvious but Yuri just want to make sure.

"Is that your last question?"

"N-No."

"Then I will not give an answer for that. So...what is the last one?"

"Um...Where is your father? You're using your mother's surname so I'm wondering what happened to your dad especially that you're having dreams about him."

Jessica's expression suddenly changed when Yuri asked about her father. Sadness is what Yuri saw in her eyes so the tan girl cursed herself for asking such kind of thing. She shouldn't have, given the circumstance that it's a sensitive topic for the one who's sometimes calling her father in her sleep.

"Sorry I asked. It's okay if you don't want to - "

"I don't know where he is," Jessica said, cutting off Yuri's statement for the second time. "He's forced to leave me because my grandfather doesn't like him. His job was as our family driver so grandpa didn't

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter