Realization

9/16

Nothing was the same after that. I continued to attend ballet classes and competitions, but I was falling short of everyone's expectations. Janne and the others far surpassed me, barely even taking the time to acknowledge me now that they'd lost all respect for the girl they once spoke of in secret jealousy and contempt. Ms. Chae asked me to stay after class one day, masking her disappointment until the other girls had left.

"Is everything alright, dear?" she asked, worry creasing her face. Ms. Chae's eyes were filled with sorrow. The kind of sorrow that one felt when she had been robbed of her trophies; her pride. How had I not seen this before? I was a walking trophy she loved to show off, not a student she had genuinely began to love. This world runs on competition where only the best will survive. I was the sword she used to cut everyone else down.

"Yes," I answered with downcast eyes. Reality stood beside me as he usually did, eyeing me in silence.

"Honey, if there's ever something you need, don't hesitate to ask me. If you want someone to talk to, you can come to me," she offered, sounding so much like she actually cared. It tore me apart.

Ms. Chae finally released me after some false words of inspiration, and I walked home with Reality guiding me back.

"Did you believe she truly cared for your wellbeing?" he asked in his mocking way. I stopped, taking a good look at him. Reality was very handsome; if his face wasn't so gaunt, he could've easily been one of those Kpop stars all the girls raved about. But that's the false impression little children always had about reality. They want to hurry and grow up so that they could live their dream lives without anyone to hold them back. It was a tempting fantasy on the outside, but the realness of this world was so cruel.

"I know what you're going to say. You're going to tell me that I was foolish to believe she had any good intentions, and that people will always use others for their own benefits. But can't you be kind to me just once? Can't you sugar coat the world in sweet honey and sugar crystals just a little bit? There has to be something forgiving in this corrupt world," I cried. Reality howled in amusement, bent over laughing with tears in his cold eyes. My face blushed with rosy cheeks, embarrased to have evoked such a taunting response.

"Who ever told you my job was to pamper you like a princess? You may have been treated like that in the past, but everyone has to face the ugly side of life sooner or later," he said after he finally calmed down.

"I...don't ever want to see you again. Go away," I quickened my pace, hoping to leave him behind. But reality wouldn't release me. No, not even for a moment. He grabbed both my wrists harshly, watching in glee as I struggled.

"Reality will never go easy on you...its never done that for anyone," he said.

That wasn't true! I've seen so many beautiful aspects of the real world. I've seen cheerful children walking with their mothers in the park, I've seen couples enjoying the companies of each other; I've seen happiness manifest on so many faces. All of it within the scope of reality...so what was in front of me? What was holding onto my wrists and refusing to show me the euphoria that so many others had experienced?

"You...aren't real," I whispered, finding my voice.

"Then what am I?" he said, trying me.

"I don't know. But you definitely aren't reality. You can't be, not with all the goodness that exists in this world," I said, standing my ground. Those skeletal hands released their hold.

"How cute. Your still holding onto the mentality of a child," but even as he continued to ridicule me, the dominating aura that surrounded him lost its clutch.

*                                       *                                      *

Reality wasn't reality. But then what was he? If I could identify what was holding me back from my happiness, I could have a better idea of how to get rid of it. In the meantime, I used this newfound hope to empower myself. Mom was surprised to find me staying at the dance studio even after class had finished. She gave me a heartwarming smile, the one I hadn't seen in a long, long time. She had begun to lose faith in my abilities when Ms. Chae told her of my performances. It hurt even more to know that Mom's 'love' for me fluctuated depending on how much pride I could give her.

As it turns out, I never even needed to know what 'Reality' truly is. Circumstances had changed to how they previously were: me returning to the prestigious ballet dancer that everyone admired me to be. And Reality disappeared along with my doubts. He slowly began to hover over me less and less, often quiet and unsmiling whenever he was.

"We'll meet again someday Kiara. I look forward to it," Reality gave me one last scornful grin, and disappeared for good.

 

 

 

Author's note: For anyone who's confused, Reality isn't actually a person lol. He's created from Jaejin's mind. Jaejin mistakenly believed that he personified her fear of reality, but as we found out, that's not the case. So the question is...what does 'Reality' really represent?O.O