Unforeseeable events

9/16

Nahyun's heartfelt confession didn't reach my ears until weeks later, a day before NCTu's debut. Taeyong had invited Nahyun and I to a celebratory debut party in honor of 'The 7th Sense' being released at 12:00 am for the world to see. Plenty of decorations, people, and of course, food crowded the small venue SM utilized for special occasions. Alcohol was served to everyone of age, and then some. The debuting members of NCT cast their worries behind them and celebrated to their heart's content, preparing themselves for their new lives as offical artists under SM entertainment. Everyone else who had aided them in their journey followed suit, mirroring their carefree attitudes.

"Congratulations Taeyong sunbaenim, I'm sure people won't sleep on your group's talent. Pretty soon, you guys are sure to be one of the hottest rookie groups of the year!" Nahyun gushed, declining a bottle of beer.

"Thank you Nahyun. And please, no need to use honorifics. You can call me 'oppa'," Taeyong winked at her. I stifled a laugh, watching as Nahyun quickly grew short of breath. Out of pride, she quickly forced her lungs to clear themselves.

"O-ok, Taeyong oppa," she said quietly, testing the words on her tongue. As Nahyun started to hang around Taeyong and I, there was no doubt that her feelings had developed to more than a 'crush'. She still clung onto her nervous habits, but less so like a gushing fangirl. There was true admiration and respect from her actions, but also hints of determination. Whatever those feelings were, I could tell it was difficult for her to sort out. Not unlike my own mixed emotions for Taeyong.

I watched their quiet exchanges from a distance, giving Nahyun the privacy she requested in advance. Everyone has their own secrets, but today Nahyun wanted to divulge some of her own.

"Unni, I respect both you and Taeyong, and not just for the talents you've both brought to the company. Out of this respect, I'd like to keep our relationships as honest and supportive as possible. I've revealed to you my thoughts on your lifestyle not out of spite, but for this reason. I'd feel guilty if I didn't. Thank you for hearing me out, even though it was uncomfortable for you. Whether you take it to heart is another matter only for you to consider, so I won't push it," Nahyun told me in my dorm.

"Thank you, Nahyun. I'm glad you've told me your concerns, but seriously, you don't need to stress about it. As you can see, I'm still living and breathing. None of my dietary changes have impacted my career, and trust me, I'll be alright," I smiled back at her, wrapping my hair into a last minute bun.

Although not completely certain, Nahyun nodded anyways. "Alright. It's up to you, unni. Also, can I ask for something?"

"Hm?"

"Since tomorrow's NCTu's debut...I'd like to have a minute with Taeyong sunbaenim. I don't know if it's alright with you, but I want your permission," she said, turning her face away.

"Nahyun, of course it's okay. Is it a marriage proposal or something? You look quite serious about it," I joked, expecting a laugh in response. She didn't laugh. Instead, her lips were pursed into a tight line, taking a moment before replying.

"I just- well, it's something I want to tell him in private," she said.

"Oooohhhh unni is curious now. What could our little Nahyun possibly have to hide?" I pinched her cheek, watching comfortably as she pushed my hand away as a little sister would.

"I-I'll tell you too, but I have to tell him first,"

I nodded, thousands of guesses flooding my head and disappearing in a matter of nanoseconds.

I now watched the two converse in a corner of the venue by themselves, completely secluded from the happenings around them. So it startled me a bit more than normal when a hand grasped my shoulder.

"What-" I spun around, wide-eyed before standing face to face with Johnny (another member of NCT, but one that won't debut with tomorrow's unit).

"Ah, what the heck- you seriously scared me," I sighed, feeling my heart race.

"You seem so focused on those two," he pointed towards Nahyun and Taeyong, "it looked like you were spying on them,"

"Spying? Of course not..." I mumbled.

"Then, what would you call it? Mettling in their affairs without them knowing?" Johnny smiled at my startled look.

"Hey, I introduced those two to each other. I shoulde be allowed to keep up with their relationship," I defended, instantly regretting my choice of words.

"Relationship? I didn't know Taeyong hyung is interested in younger girls," Johnny smirked.

"Ah, that's no wha I meant. Nevermind with them. So what about you? Are you here to ridicule as many people's nights as you can?" I said, secretly worried he might be offended with my casual tone.

"Hm...that's one way of saying it. I do enjoy a good laugh from others' humiliation," he said sardonically, "especially from those of SM's most prized rookies,"

"Please, you'll probably debut before me,"

"Come on, it's no secret how much the CEO value you. I heard that you're scheduled to start music video shootings next week," he said noncholantly.

"Who's been spying on who now?" no way was I going to let an opportunity like this slip by.

"Common knowledge isn't spying,"

"I didn't realize personal schedules were considered 'common knowledge',"

"Gossip gets around. Especially the ones involving you,"

I arch an eyebrow. "And that's because...?"

"You're special,"

Both of us pause. The shock is undoubtly readable all over my face, that wasn't a surpise. However, he wasn't exactly prepared for those words to slip either.

"Sorry, my mouth runs off on its own sometimes," he muttered, suddenly very flustered by the turn of events.

"No, no, it's okay. I get that quite a lot," I said, lightening the awkwardness that had fallen upon us.

"Do other rookies confess to you a lot?" Johnny asked, not a hint of humor evident in his voice.

I shake my head. "If anything, most people seem to go out of their way to avoid me,"

"That's ridiculous. Who do they think they are to ignore you?" he looked lost in thought, or perhaps just pretended to be. Of all events that would occur at tonights celebration, meeting a rookie like him certainly wasn't on my list.

"You're name is Johnny, right?" I asked.

"Yes ma'am," he winked.

"I'll remember you,"