Kim Youngmin

9/16

Taeyong's pov:

Everyone thought it in their heads, but no one said it out loud: the CEO's office is a prison cell. Physically, it is the epitome of luxury- especially for a working environment. The space was decorated with an unnecessarily large Parnian desk, hand crafted from the finest Carpathian elm. Plush sofas and fine coffee tables complemented the wooden hues, all refined and polished to Kim Youngmin's likings. However, that was the extent of the office's charms. Despite its appearance, the office was the most unpleasant room to be summoned to. The air itself was stifling to breath, as though entering the room was a commitment in itself. The room is clean and polished, but nothing is pleasant to the eye: everything spoke of business, professionality. Perhaps if the CEO didn't inhabit the room, standing inside wouldn't be half as bad. The man wore a stern look that seemed permanently creased into his face; never once had I seen him smile. When speaking to him, one had to carry themselves in the most dignified manner possible, as anything else would be unworthy of his time.

"Please, explain to me detail by detail what had happened," Youngmin said, not bothering to look at me.

"Yes, sir. Kiara ssi came with her manager to prepare for her album photoshoot. Everything was going normally, but she had another...shall we say, 'episode'. It happened out of the blue. I believe some words were exchanged between her and her manager, which possibly could've triggered it, but we're not certain. Kiara ssi suddenly got up while the makeup noonas were doing her hair and makeup. The other people in the room described her face as "alarmed and frightened", as though she'd seen a ghost. Her face turned pale and her breathing hitched before she collapsed on the ground," I said, recounting the stories told to me. Youngmin nodded, still composed and I wondered if he was paying attention at all.

"Was it similar to the occurance at the concert? When she had a mental breakdown?" he asked patiently, observing a hangnail.

"I'm not sure, as I wasn't there when Kiara ssi collapsed. But it sounds like the instances might be related. Anyone can see that she's facing some mental challenges, possibly bordering on insanity if things continue as they are. But not all things are looking dim," I said, careful to keep my voice even.

"Explain," he pulled off the hanging nail.

"She's made a friend, the rookie Kim Nahyun. The girl is quite cheerful and improves Kiara ssi's mood significantly when the two are together. She's currently having Kiara ssi aid her in dance practices,"

"And you? Have you been doing your part as well?" Youngmin looks up into my eyes, like my life depended on my next answer. Perhaps it did.

"I've been trying my best, sir. Kiara ssi refused me several times when I offered to take her away from her schedules. She's quite suspicious of my constant requests. I'm worried that she suspects my behavior is connected to your orders," I said. My heart thumps at a deafening speed in my chest.

Youngmin considers my answer for a moment, then waves my worries away.

"The girl should be happy you're helping her at all. She has the most potential to help SM flourish, in fact, the most potential I've ever seen. It'd be such a waste to lose someone like her. I hope you really try your best to improve her mood. It's no secret that many stars beckon under the responsibilities fame brings...so don't let her collapse under it," Youngmin ordered. Under the formal request hid threatening consequences, ones that weren't to be taken lightly.

"Sir, may I add something else?" 

He nodded.

"I do believe it's in Kiara ssi's best interest to visit a hospital to help her cope with her mental instability. At the least, meet with a doctor who can diagnose her condition. If it's not treated sooner...it may hinder her debut, where the pressure will only grow worse,"

"And what? Ruin her chances of success even before she can get her name out there? Do you have any idea what articles about her will be published? Your idea may only help her in the short term, but it'll destroy her career. Absolutely not. If you're so concerned, do your part, and do it well," 

*                                      *                                       *

"It's only going to get harder from here, Kiara," Anxiety said. He walked over to sit on the corner of my bed, deliberately putting some distance between us. I couldn't understand why he was suddenly being so kind, suddenly respecting me. Acting like I mattered. Hasn't he always been here to push me down?

"No. It's not like that at all," he said, shaking his head. I'd forgotten how he could read my mind, and it startled me for a moment.

"I'm so confused...I've known you since I was eight years old, and yet, I still don't really know anything about you," I said, sinking back under the covers. 

"I've always just wanted to bring the best out of you. It's my job. Although the way to get there hasn't always been pretty...don't we always reach your goals? You're still young, and I know it's hard to understand. But you will one day," Anxiety patted my head.

"You're still evil, and I still don't want you to be here," I mumbled, feeling the heaviness of sleep take over, "but I guess you're right,"