Chapter 22

A Change?

[Seohyun’s POV]

“I want her to be my secretary.” I heard Kyuhyun telling President Lee while pointing at me. I stared at him in disbelief, what are his intentions, don’t he know I was trying to protect him? It’s like he’s trying to play with fire while I’m the one who’s trying to extinguish it. It’s true that I’m glad I could see him every day, but on the other hand, I was also worried that Jong-hoon would do something to Kyuhyun. I wouldn’t allow that to happen.

Jong-hoon’s voice broke my string of thoughts. “Dad! You can’t let that happen. He has already taken away my position, you can’t let him take away Seohyun!” He tried to reason with his father. “Jong-hoon, don’t be so childish, we’re talking about business.” His father said softly but sternly. “But Dad..” Jong-hoon tried his luck. “No buts, we will talk about it when we get home. Don’t make a scene here.” And his father walked towards Kyuhyun’s father.

Jong-hoon’s face was disappointed and angry at the same time. He took my hand and pulled me away. I could see Kyuhyun looking at us from the corner of his eyes. He hurried me into the car and drove away quickly. He was driving so fast I was afraid we might get into some accident. “Jong-hoon, please, slow down. I’m scared.” I said to him softly. I’m glad my words have some effect on him since the speed gradually slowed down. He stopped somewhere out of town and suddenly, he hit the steering wheel so hard and cursed. He turned and looked at me and said, “You won’t fall for him again right?” I couldn’t give him a definite answer, because the truth is, I’ve never stopped loving him. “I have already promised to marry you, why would I torture myself by loving him again?” I said assuring. I couldn’t afford to make him angry since he might do something crazy again.

“You promise?” He asked me seriously. “Yes, I promise.” And he lied on my shoulders. I shrugged them uncomfortably but did not push him away. He fell asleep and I stared at the patch of grass infront of me and sighed. Just then, I received a text from Kyuhyun.

 

Kyuhyun: Where are you? Can we meet?

Me: Why are you doing this? Stop hurting yourself.

Kyuhyun: Ignoring my love for you is hurting myself.

Me: Please…just stop.

Kyuhyun: I will see you tomorrow.

 

I shook Jong-hoon’s shoulders lightly to ask him to shift to the passenger’s seat while I drive home since he was still tired. I greeted his father when we reached home and he suddenly called me. “Seohyun-sshi, please have a talk with me.” His father requested. I bowed slightly and went over to sit down. “Do you agree working with Kyuhyun? I can see Jong-hoon’s reluctance, but I would like to hear your opinion.” He said gently. “I’m fine with any decision you make, Sir. I understand that we should not take our personal account into business.” I said. “I agree Seohyun-sshi, since you do not disagree, I should just do as what Kyuhyun-sshi have requested.

“What about Jong-hoon-sshi?” I asked. “He will be transferred to another branch of the company. I would not want a war to break out between the two young men.” He said jokingly. I smiled to Jong-hoon’s dad and wondered why is Jong-hoon so different from his father. I went back to my room and clean up before lying on my bed, hugging my Keroro toy, I imagined how would life be working with Kyuhyun in such a situation, while praying Jong-hoon would not do anything silly to hurt Kyuhyun.

 

I woke up early that morning to prepare, and found Jong-hoon waiting for me in the car. He told me he will be sending me to work every morning. I could see his insecurity over his face. He kept quiet throughout the whole journey and I decided to assure him. “If you’re thinking about that, don’t. I won’t risk Kyuhyun’s life over such matter.” He did not reply, but I could see him relax a little.

I took a deep breath and walked into the office, trying to prepare myself mentally. I have no idea why I was so nervous, maybe I was afraid Kyuhyun would do something to surprise me, breaking my wall of defense. Kyuhyun have yet to reach the office when I arrived, so I started to prepare all the necessary documents for him. After awhile, he stepped into the office and saw me, he motioned for me to follow him and he closed the door after me. He started to move around the office monitoring every single place and started to retrieve out cameras that were hidden behind objects. Did Jong-hoon secretly place all these cameras to invigilate us?

Kyuhyun smirked at his own findings and walked towards me. “Seo..I missed you.” And he hugged me tightly. I missed his warmth, it makes me weak, I wanted to lean on him so much. But I snapped back to reality and pushed him away. “Mr Cho, ple..please respect yo..your employee. We are in..in… the office.” I said stuttering. He smirked at me and said seriously, “I hope Lee Jong-hoon didn’t do that to you.”

I blushed and turned away. Just what is he up to. “Mr Cho, these are the documents you have to read to get to know about our company. I will place them here, ask me if you have any queries. If there’s nothing else, I will leave you for now.” I maintained my composure and left the room. “Seo wait, let’s have lunch together later.” Kyuhyun said. I had no reason to reject the offer and I nod my head and left the room.

The first half of the day went smoothly, it was pretty hard to focus with Kyuhyun inside his office. He was indeed professional when dealing with business, it’s just so him. I could also see him stealing glances over my side but I chose to ignore them. I should be thankful he wasn’t doing anything to put me in a difficult spot in case Jong-hoon decides to conduct a spot check on us. I guess he must be fuming mad now since Kyuhyun removed all his spy cameras. Jong-hoon texted me consistently and I had to remind him that I had work to do before he finally let his guards down, not fully though.

Finally it was lunch time, and Kyuhyun came out immediately after he finished his work. He looked at me happily and ushered me out for lunch. Throughout the whole meal, I kept my silence since I felt bad for hurting Kyuhyun and I couldn’t face him. Kyuhyun finally broke the silence, “Seo, how’s life?” I froze for a moment before I could answer him. “It’s fine.” I said shortly. “Your life, is it better without me?” He asked carefully. I looked at and played around with my food…of course it wasn’t. I always dreamt about days where I go back to him, even though it’s quite impossible for now. “Kyu, please don’t touch on that topic. I thought I’ve already made it very clear.” I looked down, hoping he will stop saying anymore before I lose myself and start crying.

I guess he sensed my reluctance in continuing this topic and started to pat my head. “Alright Seobaby, I will stop saying all these. Don’t look so sad okay?” And he looked into my eyes and smiled gently.

Cho Kyuhyun, you’re making this so difficult for me. How I wish I could just run away with you. Not from you.